Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 quiteone

I think I told this story before but anyway.

I know Ghosts believe, living, breathing and talking Ghosts....well perhaps not living but you get the picture.:confused:

About 10 years ago me and the sister were playing with some toy figures in the box room in our house. Willey Coyote, Troll, Lola Bunny and Roadrunner were just some of the charachters to make an appearence.

Anywho, we were playing when we stopped for a few minutes.......coming from my parents room a voice called out to us.....it just said our names. This was a clear, lifelike voice, not some clichéd harrowing voice. There was nobody in that room, it was pitch black.

Now to be fair I did have a bit of a wild imagination, but my sister heard the voice a well. We ran downstairs, and burst open the door to the sitting room. My mum and dad were just sitting there....I thought it was my dad, but he said he didn't say anything.

hey,the same thing happen to me and my brothers...
    one night while we were all in bed (i used to sleep in my brothers room because my sister had moved to england,and didnt like staying in that room on my own) we heard my sisters voice calling my brother from downstairs,we all heard it but knew it couldnt be her,we still remember it to this day,apart from my brother who she called,he died at 17,does anyone know what this was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

This thread is really gathering momentum since i was last on. I've a dead relative keeping me company, firstly they will never let me forget them because on anniversary of their death, and their birthdate I always dream about them, like clock work each year, when i wake up having dreamt about them i check the calendar, and always one of the dates. Also Ive felt their presence around me, happened a few times, the last time i felt it, i sat down and called their name and asked for a sign that they were here, and i did get one, but won't go into details. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    Also Ive felt their presence around me, happened a few times, the last time i felt it, i sat down and called their name and asked for a sign that they were here, and i did get one, but won't go into details. Weird.
    Oh go on! Go into more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AshTrollyDolly

pipeliner wrote: »
    This is not as much about ghosts as the other stories, but my mother has this superstition about small birds (robin's in particular) getting inside the house when a person close to the family dies.

When she found her mother dead, the first thing she noticed was a robin fluttering around the kitchen.

This also was the case about a month ago when an aunt of ours who was terminally ill passed away. We were rang at about midnight to be told what happened, but the next morning she found another robin in the house, this time it was dead.

There is loads of incidents of this happening and it really freaks her out when a bird gets inside. That's why I was never allowed a budgie as a kid :D

Hey....
    My mam says the same things about birds. My grandad died a year before I was born but apparently, after he was buried when all the family were back in the house, a bird flew into the kitchen and 2 minutes later, a second one flew in. She always says that some family member said that when the second bird flew in it was a good sign because its a sign that he was in heaven, or a sign that he had reunited with someone...
    Dunno how true obviously but comforting to know....

• Advertisement

Oh go on! Go into more details.

Well, I was getting a little tired of the unexpected feeling that they were around, and on this particular occasion I was sitting on the side of my bed and felt a breeze at the end of the bed like if some one walked passed the end of the bed, so straight away felt their presence again, called out their name and asked for a sign that it was them. Of course I was half expecting nothing to happen so I could doubt the whole thing and keep wondering, but lets just say there was a slow ripple movement of an item in the room, a very definite and deliberate slow movement which frightened the S""""out of me, so I ran out of the room, turned on the TV down stairs as loud as i could and waited for house mates to come home before id move. I recon he's still with me but not making it obvious anymore, i know he wouldnt want to frighten me. Funny thing is we often had conversations about him dying and he would try and let me know if he there was some form of afterlife or way of the dead contacting the living. If it was him, he took his time, ten years after his death actually!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I remember having similar conversations with a friend of mine, we always said that we'd let the other know if there was an afterlife. Shortly after he died I had a dream that we were on a flat roof and there was a party, but everything was in slow mo, except us. There was thing like small comets or fireworks falling all around us. Was lovely. He had his head down and said he was sorry for the pain he caused(he commited suicide) and he gave me a rose. When I woke up a velvet rose he had given me was on the end of the bed!! I was moving at the time and everything was packed in boxes! It was so special and made me feel so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

Archeron wrote: »
    the school is Belcamp college on the Malahide road, just between Darndale and Balgriffin. I believe its closing this year for good.
    lol thats mad p.s,my brothers went there jaysus!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

littlebug wrote: »
    This is probably just a story of overactive teenage girls’ imagination rather than a ghost story… but hey I’ll tell it anyway!
    When I was about 18 I was home for a weekend and was asleep in my room in my parents house. As we had visitors that weekend my sister was also sleeping in my room. At some point in the night I started to wake feeling that there was something choking me, something round my neck. As I properly woke thought … ah it’s just the blankets, but then I heard a slithering noise and looked up and saw a man about 3 ft tall, move (slither/ float rather than walk) from the left hand side of my bed, down to the end, looked up at me from under his wide brimmed hat with a wicked grin and proceeded to move up between the 2 beds. At that point I freaked and called to my sister. All I did was call her name, I didn’t say what I had seen and she looked up and started screaming the house down! My dad came running in to see what was wrong… of course the light was on then and there was nothing to be seen. My sister was hysterical though and went on to describe what she had seen and it was identical to the man I saw, wearing the same clothes and in the same place in the room ( I still hadn’t said out loud what I saw). The only difference was that she said “I know who it was” and said it was a friend of my dads (a man who we never liked as children and always called “the devil” because of his sharp facial features) except she said he was “all small” and had my dad look under the bed etc! (she was 19… blush!). Now the “thing” I saw actually did bear a resemblance to my dads friend with those sharp, wicked looking features. Anyway we all eventually went back to sleep content (sort of) that we were imagining things. My dad was mortified because there were visitors in the house and he nearly accused one of them, a young man, of coming in to our room. No- one had come in to our room as the door was really stiff and hard to open and it was stuck in it’s usual closed position when my dad got up the stairs all of 5 seconds after we started screaming. There was a knack to opening and closing it and a stranger would have had trouble with it.

Now there are a few things to be taken into consideration here. Firstly there was usually a street light just outside our bedroom window. It was off that night so it was darker than we were used to. Secondly one of the men who was staying in the house had just gone to bed as all of this kicked off. The light on the upstairs landing was off so he was probably sliding his hands along the wall to feel where he was going… that could have been the slithering sound I heard. But would that sound have been enough for us both to conjure up the exact same image? Thirdly I am blind as a bat without glasses/ lenses so I know couldn’t possibly have really seen anything and certainly not the features of someone at the end of the bed! I am also renowned among family and friends for seeing/ imagining things in the middle of the night e.g. huge bugs in the bed, a horrible wee man who used to sit at the other side of the room and even a weird alien looking woman one night. I would accept that the “devil man” was a similar figment of my very overactive night-time imagination but for the fact that we both saw the same thing in the same place.

Is it possible that somehow the sliding slithering sound somehow led both of us to conjure up a similar image of a man we were always a wee bit scared of and disliked as children? Or was there really something there? We still find it a bit freaky to be honest!

thats sum scary s***!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gibbon

sister in laws house is haunted, but not scary
    a nice spirit resides there, in fact i think she comes down in 'visitation' as Derek ackora says,
    my sister in law could hear her children have conversation with someone thourgh the monitor.
    my own experiences, after a late dinner party last summer, having coffee with a head on me the next morning, my neice was on the other chair playing with fruit or somethign in each hand,
    the whole oak chair with her on it slid around 4 feet, she couldnt have pushed it as she had the two pieces of fruit held high in the air, and she is only 3- it was actually like that film poltergeist,
    i was more amazed then spooked as the sunshine was beaming through the window and it was a saturday
    my sister in law aksed her neice - how did you do that?
    she kept saying, i'm not telling you, it's a secret' that did freak me out a little.
    another time only last month, i saw from the hallway the front door has two panes of glass, i saw an elbow, all white, and assumed it was my sister in laws husband who sometimes goes outside to smoke, i opnened the door to join him- and nothing! then i checked as i thought it might have been a little nacker messing- nothing
    my sister in laws husband was in the lounge all the time.
    now this was acually someones arm, i saw for 2-3 seconds, i saw the white sleeve and the elbow, no mist, not out of the corner of my eye, it was as clear as day.
    a psychis came in later and said there is def a spirit here, but not a bad one, which i agree with , because there is actally a pleasand atmosphere in the house- even in the night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

I have stuff posted under "banshee" that I won't post again here, but it's some of my experiences [not mine personally, but my family members] I have one or two more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Hi,

Woke up once in the middle of the night once to see a womans face with black straggly hair staring at me from the end of the bed, the head then faded away. My dog was also sleeping in the corner of the room and it was growling in the direction of the head. It really creeped me out

It was so special and made me feel so much better.

Then its okay. Nice dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Kelly O'Malley

A very special friend of mine was killed in a car accident a few weeks before Christmas 1984.We hadn't known each other very long but had one of those extra special connections with each other(NOT a romantic one!)
    He was only 23 when he died and it was as you can imagine not the best Christmas on record.On Christmas day I went for a walk on my own and I was gripped with the sadness of missing my friend.Then I saw him from the corner of my eye walking beside me and I felt his arm come around my shoulders.He said "What are you miserable about?I'm still here you silly b****!"
    My sadness was immediately lifted and I never mourned for him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

never really believed in ghosts, but over the last few weeks i was having a series of strange dreams, all related to people i'd see on a dailyweekly basis. after a while i noticed i kept waking up at around the same time every night i had a dream, within the same 20min period. a few nights ago i woke up from my dream, i looked around my room and i saw a ghost but it was like it was myself, in the same clothes i was wearing the day before and all, just looking at me for a second and then looked away and walked through the door. i know people's minds play tricks with them but this truly astonished me!! anybody know what it's supposed to mean or anything?

You may have been doing a bit of astral travelling.If so it has no particular meaning but it can be a very useful ability to have - particularly when you learn to control it!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I just looked it up briefly on wikipedia. Could be so, one of the dreams I had came true the next day, but in different circumstances. However I saw a ghost of myself when I woke up which i what I don't understand.

By definition,as you are still living and posting here, it couldn't be your ghost!
    You ARE a living person I assume!lol.
    Things that are no longer there leave an imprint which can be seen by 'sensitives'.
    My guess would be that you had astral travelled and your travelling spirit had stood (in the position you saw it) looking at you for long enough to leave an imprint.
    It's only a guess but it's the only thing that fits the scenario that I can think of.
    It's more usual to have a memory of seeing your physical body from the spiritual than the other way around and if I'm correct you must have an unusually strong spirit for it to have imprinted this way.
    Perhaps that's the meaning of this experience,to tell you of the strength of your spirit and encourage you to do something with that strength?

My guess would be that you had astral travelled and your travelling spirit had stood (in the position you saw it) looking at you for long enough to leave an imprint.
    It's only a guess but it's the only thing that fits the scenario that I can think of.
    Wow, first time of hearing that one, astral travelling...tell me more, so would that be future or past scenario he was looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

for anyone who has experienced astral travelling , do you have any feelings when your doing this, like can you feel your body? or is it as if your totally disconnected and just a spirit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually, I've got an interesting one! I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but here you are anyway:

I was reading the thread on After Hours about the Sounds of Hell - now, I know it's a proven hoax, but the very idea and description of the events surrounding the alleged occurence had me creeped out - even before I opened the audio clip.

Anyway, So I opened the audio clip, listened to the narrator for 2 odd minutes, and literally right before the actual screams from hell start....my internet connection just dies. So I restart my modem, wait for sync, and then listen to the clip again streaming from site. And once more, exactly at the same point, my internet connection just died. Only this time my speakers starting throwing out random hissing and garble, which was a bit odd. So anyway, third time lucky, I save it to my desktop instead of streaming, no problems. Listen to it....creepy stuff given the context, even if it is fake. Anyway, after a few seconds into the screams and moans, my speakers start going crazy again, hissing, crackling, just a load of distortion....so I shut down the computer. And while the computer is off and I'm reading notes I was supposed to be studying in the first instance, I hear faint talking...which I assume is coming from outside...takes me awhile to realize it's coming from my speakers. the computer is turned off, by the way, at this point and the speakers volume at '0'. Really faint, and I have to hold the speaker up to my ear to hear it, but it's basically some sort of speech, someone saying something about 'Saving them' and 'He said to them..etc' but I couldn't make out most of it. It sounded like a religious sermon but I couldn't be sure...it stopped after a few seconds.

Anyway, haven't any problems like that before this sounds of hell incident, nor have I since. So that was a bit strange....still trying to think what it might have been! But it still creep me out.

If it's any difference I am religious...and hold a keen interest in the ideal of the supernatural, white noise, etc, even if I don't really believe in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Well something cold just touched my hand there and instantly my phone rang with static and from a private number... WHY ALWAYS AT NIGHT TIME WHEN YOURE ALONE??! jeez gisssuss a break!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭ShellBell1

This is a very interesting thread. The following isn't exactly a ghost story, but it runs in a similar vein..

My sister actually had a premonition once. I can say with certainty that this was not due to a colourful imagination or vision problems. So, read on..

When my sister was 11, my mother asked her to bring a bucket of food to a goat we had at the time. We had this goat for about 8 years but my father eventually had to tie her to a very long rope to deter her from breaking into neighbours' gardens. She was kept on a fairly roomy stretch of land above our house, which used to be a railway line until the 1960s. Anyway, off my sister went with the food.

About 10 minutes later, she burst into the kitchen where myself and my mother were, screaming and crying that the goat was dead. When my mother asked how that was possible, my sister said that it looked like the goat had become entangled in the rope to which she was tied, choked, that there was blood everywhere, and her insides were visible. Like she had strangled herself with the rope and looked like she was practically eaten by something. It wasn't uncommon for foxes to enter our land from the forest parallel to it in search of prey.

My mother couldn't believe what my sister was saying, so the two of them went up to where the goat was again. I didn't go - I was only 9 y.o. and too afraid of the gore of it all.

When they both came back to the house a short while later, they were relieved to report that the goat was fine. Healthy, happy, munching on grass. Very much alive. So we all just assumed my sister had imagined it somehow (as gory as it was and all).

The next day, when my father was bringing myself and my sister home from school, he said that the goat was dead. He had gone up earlier that day to bring her water when he saw her completely entangled in the rope with her intestines hanging out, bloodied, etc. Just like my sister had described it the day before.

I don't come from a family of devout Occultists, but no-one in our family has ever doubted the veracity of what happened. My sister - who is dismissive of everything remotely paranormal - still maintains she experienced it, though. And my family doesn't refute this, seeing as we were all aware of the information she related a day before the damn thing happened.

Sorry. I know it's a bit gory, but there you go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strider001

I believe you, i have been experiencing the paranormal and ghosts from as long as i can remember. I have my own small group of people who also have had different experiences through their lives. At present we are planning to visit more haunted locations to try to collect as many pics as possible. I am at the moment helping a family in the north who have a spirit in their house, they have beome so frightened that they have moved out. Myself and a few friends are heading to the house tonight to do a night time investigation, so hopefully we will be able to make contact with what ever is hanging around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucantia

well you can Lastnight because it was 7 PM or Evening...

my friends we're Playing badminton so i am with my other friend who is watching our friend playing..Suddenly just a slight moment i swear to god i can feel someone was behind me..and it past through like a human! D: i watched my back and what i saw was kinda Unbelieveble..It was a Shadowy Figure I thought it was a Demon (as i am muslim and passed my prayer time)

But i do not believe in Religion anyway...Well i asked my friend..He replied he did feel SOMEONE behind us..and even passed by us...I do not know what it was and THERE WE'RE NO BREEZE

i need theories please D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strider001

If you and your friend both felt and saw it then i would reckon there was def something there. When ghosts come into contact with us humans you can feel them straight away. In todays society we have so much going on around us, and with t.v and the internet we rarely get the chance to meditate and relax, thats when we can contact spirits easily. But ghosts are around us all the time weather its 7pm or 8 in the morning. You should snoop around and find out if anyone else has seen a dark figure in the same place, maybe it has been seen before many times. But the one thing you must not do is show fear ( i know thats easier said than done ) but bad ghosts thrive on negitave energy and fear is only feeding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucantia

its not..I fear but i sometimes..feel Insecure..Yeah but sometimes in my house i like to Stay awake till midnight i still have feelings of people with me XD oddly but i think it must the Owner of the house before..I know my house history suppose it was owned by an Aussie
    he was later dissapeared but the house was empty and there we're no record of him moving out..Strange yet..everytime i go to my home village..Like where i was born before i move.

My grandpa died of old age in my village so every night like 12 AM or 3 sometimes i could hear his foot steps..and his voice although i tried to ignore and went to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I have been reading through this thread and have found it really intruging. my experience hasn't been as exciting as some of the others but it made me wonder all the same. i woke up in the middle of the night, i was lying on my back with my legs out straight. i tried to move my legs but i couldn't. it felt like someone was sitting on them holding them down(across my shins). at first i was like what the f**k and starting to get panicky but all of a sudden this calmness came over me and i said to myself "it's alright it's only grandad" My grandad had died about 6 years previously. i never opened my eyes during this and as soon as i felt that it was grandad i fell back to asleep straight away. i've always wondered why he came then-it wasnt his birthday/anniversary, nothing was troubling me. maybe he just felt like saying hello!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

On the way home from the pub a couple of weeks ago (btw i don't drink) myself and a friend had a very weird experience. We were walking past an old abandoned house and we noticed there was a hole in a pane of glass in the sitting room so i went over to look in through the hole into the room.I called my friend over , he thought it looked freaky and walked away.I went back over and as i pulled the dusty old curtain back to have a better look a women began to wail(sing). It was like a king of lament or really sad song with no clear words i could recognise. I called my friend back and he also heard it and ran away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I haven't had any paranormal experiences myself, but my cousin told me this story when I was about 11 and it really freaked me out.

My cousin is about 26 now, but when this happened she was around 12 or 13. She was out walking with our cousins in a rural area near where my grandmother lives in Offaly. They were all young teenagers at the time. They
    came across an abandoned house which has a reputation in the local area as being haunted. Anyhoo, they explored the house and it was pretty dilapidated and was empty apart from an old straw mattress in one of the upstairs rooms. Now, part of the wall of this room had fallen away. They left the house and began to walk away. However , the dog which they had with them must not have followed them straight away because they heard him barking. When they looked back at the house, they saw the poor auld dog fly through the air from the upstairs room as if he had been pushed!:eek: He wasn't hurt but he definitely didn't jump himself. A few of the lads began throwing pebbles and stones up at where the dog had fell from, only to have them thrown back at them by some force they couldn't see. Needless to say, they ran from the place.
    My cousin also told of a haunted road near by where there are meant to be phantom carriages and headless horsemen.
    Scary stuff ( unless she was just winding me up!) ;)

Advertisement