Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric r/c truck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i was looking on the traxxas website and the stampede and the e-maxx both look very good
    stampede=2wd
    e-maxx=4wd
    they are probably expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

BFassassin wrote:
    because i dont think there are any model shops in dundalk. Thanks

Do you know the names of Hardware shops in Drogheda ?
    If so. Let me know and i will point you towards a good friend of mine that works in one ( I cannot remember the name of the store).
    He can supply you with whatever you need ;)

im never in drogheda so unfortunately dont know any of the hardware shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

hmmm my dad might now some, will ask him tomorrow as im off now... 'night

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Fobia wrote:
    Don't need to go to that much hassle.
    Thanks Fobia ... I'm always glad to learn a better way of doing useful stuff :D
    BFassassin wrote:
    .... think ill wait and see if my old one can be fixed next week. by the way does anyone know were i could get the parts i need (battery and new connectors for a start).....
    If it is the parts you need, you can call Green Hobby & Model in Dublin :)
    Or you could try The Model Centre, in Capel St, Dublin (no website, but also good guys with plenty parts)
    There used to be a Dundalk model guy, he was more into full size cars with models as a sideline if my info was right. But I believe he packed it in a couple of years ago.
    BFassassin wrote:
    that mini t looks pretty good in the video it could be an option...
    I would not have considered such a small model before. However after seeing the video clip, I was impressed by the performance of that truck. It is clearly quite a useful model, and the price is ok. I'm converted...I have a few electric models at the moment. The new leccies have oodles of power.

• Advertisement

the battery looks like this as far as i can remember
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=15513

by the way thanks for all the info

BFassassin wrote:
    the battery looks like this as far as i can remember
    That is a standard "6-er" stick pack with Tamiya plugs. Easily available, in varying quality types, all of the same size.

Those "Stick Pack" Batteries are available in Maplins if you have one near you.

I will PM you you with a Phone number for my buddy along with his name.
    Give him a ring and he would gladly post anything out to you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Is it just me or does Vectra's mate sound like the Delboy of modelling to anyone else? :)

BFassassin wrote:
    .... as far as i can remember the connection for the battery started to heat up and melted itself to the connection on the truck.the pins for holding the body on were all broke as well
    First problem, the plugs melting:
    The standard "cheap" plugs have steel pins in them. These get hot and use up a fair bit of available power, at least 5% of power at 30 amps, and a lot more if it is a high power model.
    Cure: we use low resistance 4mm banana plugs, in place of the steel & plastic ones and these plugs stay cool up to and over 80 amps!

Next : why did they get so extremely hot as to melt in the first place. I think the motor must have been "on" but unable to revolve. We call this a "stalled motor". And an ordinary 600 motor consumes 89amps on stall at full throttle, but a "hot" motor can stall at 200 amps. Most wires will melt if this happens. Cure: Dont plug the battery in, until it's ready to roll. And plug them out when it stops, cos an object depressing the throttle stick can burn all up, if the model can't go anywhere, (like packed in it's box!).

If you just get a replacement battery it will have the Tam plugs supplied. But a serious hobby dealer will have the right plugs to solder on, after you clip off the cheapies. If you want to, of course. Many modellers don't, but I myself would never consider using steel plugs in a leccie model.

• Advertisement

Fobia wrote:
    Is it just me or does Vectra's mate sound like the Delboy of modelling to anyone else? :)

Ermm..!!
    Nope.
    Sorry if I gave off the wrong impression of my buddy, but he is a Team Driver for Schumacher UK.
    He also imports models and trades in them so would have some spare gear lying around for sale. ;)

vectra wrote:
    Those "Stick Pack" Batteries are available in Maplins if you have one near you.

i cant see any of them on their website
    the nearest one is in dublin.:(

that wasnt a ver nice remark fobia....
    and if you can fully identify the batterys and dont want to go anyware you can get green hobby and model to post them to you :) i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I was kidding! Sheesh, can't a mod make a joke every once in a while? :(

*steps away*i want meaning it seriously either....

is there any r/c magazines in easons or anywere that are worth getting if there is i might get it and read up a bit more:)

BFassassin wrote:
    is there any r/c magazines in easons or anywere that are worth getting if there is i might get it and read up a bit more:)

RADIO CONTROL CAR ACTION.;)

has anyone signed up to the free trial on that site is it legit no nasty surprises or anthing. also how long would it take to get it

if they deliver to ireland, try it :) i didnt know i could get this in easons, ill be looking for it next time i am there

you need to register your credit card details and i dont have one so i cant try it

• Advertisement

Just go into easons and buy one :D

ah so it probly doesnt cost nuthing v(or else its just to stop lots of dummy orders...) and yeah that counts me out too unless 3v works:(

its probably for if you keep the subscription going they already have your details or they charge you for cancelling it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've a sub to RCCA, it's not bad at all. the forums are at http://aa-forums.gcnpublishing.com/index.php?
    and it's the busiest RC forums I've ever seen, lots of the stuf in the mag is discussed theere, and they usually post all teh latest info on products there before it makes it into the magazine.

and yeah they deliver to ireland (via germany, for some reason)

i registered on that forum and i found a thread all about the truck i have the "Midnight Pumpkin" its the sme colours as this but i think the body shape was slightly different http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58365

actually this is the one i have the other link is a newer version
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58070

i also tried to get a magazine today but they didnt have any it was all rc aeroplanes and static models:(

@ BFassassin

If you need any info about Tamiya models I suggest you point your questions at 2 Espressi

He was Mr. Tamiya in our club :D

@BFassassin: There are quite a few versions of the Pumpkin, your link is to one of the Special Editions. Tamiya Club has a full list of all Tamiya models produced at
    http://tamiyaclub.com/cars.asp

@Vectra: Cheers!
    Picked up another Tamiya tourer yesterday, another TT-01 used with no electronics, but I've spares in one of the Mini's anyways. not sure whether to build a drifter or a rally car out of it. It's got an Evo shell and drift tyres fitted, so it might make bore sense to have one drifter and one racer...
    1b_1_b.JPG
    Apologies for the hijack!

Looks quite good ;)

Will we see you tonight ?
    Does your buddy want a membership form or is he just coming down on spec ?
    cheers

thats the best electric drifter and a perfect body :) if thats pvc/abs/pe tyres on there then deffinatly drift it :)

• Advertisement

great craic in fermoy last night, found a shortcut home via Kilmallock, I was home in about half the time it took to get down. I'll probably next week, all things going well.

Yeah flunked, I think i'll drift this and leave the other one for racing, I've too much crap in the other one to race properly (as my sideways antics last night will confirm!)

Advertisement