Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Fog Lights - Fashon Accessory?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

C_Breeze wrote:
    TBH , i seen some guy today drivin around in his clio with foglights on and thought 'wow , he's soo cool , he must get all the hot chicks'

surely the Clio itself would be enough to get the hot chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GavinPJQuinn

Your dead right C Breeze Im buying 6 pairs this weekend and when Stringfellows opens Im gonna be the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Probably??????:o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ArthurF wrote:
    Why is it always those fecky little Micra's that have the Front Fog's on?
    (and BMW's) ................................................
    I was waiting for that.
    I don't use my front fog lights unless in heavy fog and there isn't a car closely in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I would rather meet an oncoming car with foglights on then one with some prat yakking on the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's actually a good reason why the use of front fogs when there's no fog is illegal. When we see car headlights, part of how we judge how close the car is involves how far the headlights appear to be above the road. Because fog lights are mounted closer to the road, we percieve the car as being further away than it actually is.

Anan1 wrote:
    There's actually a good reason why the use of front fogs when there's no fog is illegal. When we see car headlights, part of how we judge how close the car is involves how far the headlights appear to be above the road. Because fog lights are mounted closer to the road, we percieve the car as being further away than it actually is.

Not relevant. Car headlights height from the road varies widely. You could not use that as a way to determine distance. What about surface irregularities? What about a big 4x4?

I'm not saying that anyone would be stupid enough to consciously use headlight height from the road to determine distance. What I am saying is that the brain decodes what the eye sees on the basis of past experience. When we see an oncoming car at night, the headlights form a large part of our picture. We subconsciously process what we see in the context of approaching cars we've seen before. The closer the lights are to the road, therefore, the further away the car appears. It's much the same principle as if someone put a half-sized house in an otherwise featureless field - the brain would interpret it as a normal house, only further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Front fogs really should'nt be a hazzard to oncomming cars if as stated earlier they are set up as per spec, I suspect some peeps simple decide to alter the angle so sending the beam out frontways rather than downwards.

Mine will only work when the side or headlights are on which is really how all fogs should work but again some seem to be wired so they can be used as independent 'driving lights'.

Mike.

Properly adjusted foglights may well not blind oncoming traffic. The point I made in my last post still stands, however. It's hard to see how anything with the potential to make a car appear further away than it is at night would not be a hazard...

• Advertisement

My fogs are built into the headlight unit - so exactly the same height!

Mike.

Nothing to worry about so!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

I don't see the problem with front driving lights mine are on a 4x4 so at the same height as a cars normal lights and I use mine with the side lights all the time and other peoples lights never bother me no matter what I'm driving, as they all seem to point down at a distance of only a few feet.
    I found normal dips worse, unless the car has a full boot.
    I think there is better things to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

69 mustang wrote:
    I don't see the problem with front driving lights mine are on a 4x4 so at the same height as a cars normal lights and I use mine with the side lights all the time. I found normal dips worse, unless the car has a full boot. I think there is better things to complain about.

You are exactly the kind of 'Dip Stick' that we are all complaining about, and it makes matters worse if you drive a 4X4 (you plonker)!

mike65 wrote:
    Front fogs really should'nt be a hazzard to oncomming cars if as stated earlier they are set up as per spec, I suspect some peeps simple decide to alter the angle so sending the beam out frontways rather than downwards.

Mine will only work when the side or headlights are on which is really how all fogs should work but again some seem to be wired so they can be used as independent 'driving lights'.

Mike.

Then why your sig? Fog lights for FOG. and where did this "Driving lights" crap come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Then why your sig? Fog lights for FOG. and where did this "Driving lights" crap come from?

I thought "driving lights" are those big dustbin lid sized lights they bolt onto the front of rally cars for the night stages.

maidhc wrote:
    I thought "driving lights" are those big dustbin lid sized lights they bolt onto the front of rally cars for the night stages.

No they are spot lights driving lights are 55w or less and are not used for seeing more to be seen.Connect to side lights and ignition.

Spot lights are 55w and up but for road use no more than 90w and connect to high beams.

Front fog lights are yellow 55w and fitted the same way as driving lights.

Rear fog lights come on with dipped lights and are red 21w with a mirrored backing.

:confused: You do know that the difference between the front of a car and the back.:confused:

ArthurF wrote:
    You are exactly the kind of 'Dip Stick' that we are all complaining about, and it makes matters worse if you drive a 4X4 (you plonker)!

I hope you didn't wast tax payers money on 3 level education. Del boy:)

69 mustang wrote:
    :confused: You do know that the difference between the front of a car and the back.:confused:

I think so!:rolleyes:

Front fogs are'nt always yellow. Thats the problem with these muppets driving with them on with no FOG

• Advertisement

I think so!:rolleyes:

Front fogs are'nt always yellow. Thats the problem with these muppets driving with them on with no FOG

That's the part that gets me driving Lights the clear ones point to the ground and away from traffic (unless modified ,damaged or fitted after badly) and can be switched on when side lights are on in poor conditions (twilight dawn fog or just a grey Irish day) so that main beams are not necessary.
    So in design they are meant to be less blinding than dips or full beam.:)

ArthurF wrote:

Who the **** do you think you are slagging of 4x4 drivers?

69 mustang wrote:
    That's the part that gets me driving Lights the clear ones point to the ground and away from traffic (unless modified ,damaged or fitted after badly) and can be switched on when side lights are on in poor conditions (twilight dawn fog or just a grey Irish day) so that main beams are not necessary.
    So in design they are meant to be less blinding than dips or full beam.:)

Check out the specs of any car with "driving lights" as you call them. The Car manufacturers call them Fog Lights. Check the light that comes on on the dash when the "driving lights" are on. If its:

http://www.fotosearch.com/ICL131/obi_012/

Its a Fog Light.

Most manufacturers give an option of driving lights or fog lights but won't change the switch if that type were fitted.

Below pic of after market under bumper lights with yellow fogs on left an small clear driving lights on right. Both having separate wiring.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

69 mustang wrote:
    Most manufacturers give an option of driving lights or fog lights but won't change the switch if that type were fitted.

I have never seen the option of having "driving lights or fog lights", apart from the old days when there was a craze of having lights set into the grille. Indeed most manufacturers (Ford, Toyota etc) refer to the clear lights below bumper level as "fog lights".

I honestly think you should have more than enough lighting from the main beams without buying into this "driving lights" business. Why bother? You have main beams for country driving, dims for city driving/being seen, fog lamps for fog, and side lights (for no obvious purpose other than marking the dimensions of the car).

Who the **** do you think you are slagging of 4x4 drivers?
    ArthurF wrote:

Cmar-Ireland and ArthurF both on written warnings no more abuse of fellow posters.

Mike.

69 mustang wrote:

I think you are being silly now.:rolleyes:

All I am saying to you (69Mustang) is .....................................
    Why go to all the trouble of wiring-in a couple of Spots/Fogs to your side lights and then turning off your Dipped beams?
    (personally I cant see the point) I mean to say "Why not use your dipped Hedalights instead"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My understanding (which I believe to be the correct one) of "driving lights" is extra lights that are wired to come on with your main beams only to give you better visibility. Can't see the point of them myself tobe honest ... any car I've ever had has had main beams that were more than adequate for all conditions.

What some are referring to here are (I think) what they call DRL's (daylight running lights) in North America which are either dipped headlights run at reduced power (like on Volvo's), or separate lights that are just really high powered, slightly larger sidelights that don't really illuminate the road at all and are just for visibility.

• Advertisement

Good point Alun and fair enough if they are true driving lights, but the scurge we are really talking about here are the (Fog Lights) on the Nissan Micras of this world and the fact that 99 times out of 100 the Front Fogs are used at the expense of the Dipped beams (through ignorance)???

Advertisement