Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Fog Lights - Fashon Accessory?

Options
  • 07-01-2006 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with everyone driving around nowadays with the front Fog lights on. Its like a fashion thing. Front Fogs are for FOG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Whats the deal with everyone driving around nowadays with the front Fog lights on. Its like a fashion thing. Front Fogs are for FOG!

There's a difference between front fogs and spots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I did'nt mention Spots. I'm talking about FRONT FOG LIGHTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I did'nt mention Spots. I'm talking about FRONT FOG LIGHTS!

It annoys me too, but when I've talked to friends who have them on they say "I turned on the spots"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah, but some "foglights" are "driving lights"

colm_mcm wrote:
    yeah, but some "foglights" are "driving lights"

How are fog lights "driving lights"?

• Advertisement

as in manufacturers call them driving lights to get around people using them in non fog situations

colm_mcm wrote:
    as in manufacturers call them driving lights to get around people using them in non fog situations

So you agree , they are fog lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

This is almost as annoying as people who drive around with one headlight working - REPLACE THE DAMN BULB ALREADY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

totally agreee with you.
    Switch them off if theres no fog!!!!!!!!
    I really do think they have them on as a fashion thing or to make them look cool.

if not that, they are probably one of those nerdlingers that have read to many reports that having as many lights on as you can saves 1.36 lives every 2.72 hours :rolleyes:

they're about the only way to differentiate your mid-spec model from the base model. :) as long as they're aimed properly (most are) they're not really a problem.

Anyway C Breeze, you agreed on another thread that daylight running lights were a good thing!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    they're about the only way to differentiate your mid-spec model from the base model. :) as long as they're aimed properly (most are) they're not really a problem.

Anyway C Breeze, you agreed on another thread that daylight running lights were a good thing!

i didnt agree.
    i simply acknowledged you had a point before you statrted yapping onto me about old people, headrestraints and jesus-crosses.

Getting off the point people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Given the frequency with which most Irish drivers encounter fog they definitely are a fashion accessory - and quite often the car loks better with them installed. This of course does not mean that the fashion accessory needs to be turned on.

They irritate me a bit but not too much unless they're Xenon's. I've got fairly light sensitive eyes and I've never found meeting Xenon fog lamps during the day a comfortable experience.

The worst case of bad light usage I've ever seen was someone I met on the way to work one dark morning. The idiot had installed a full rally style light box with four strong beams between the headlights and was driving with all of them on in an urban area. I ended slowing down to about 1mph until he passed lest I hit something in my blinded state. If there was any way I could have caught his registration number I would have been making a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

As one poster said, once properly aimed, they will not dazzle anyone. I drive with mine on during the day, and I like to see other drivers do the same. Not as a fashion statment, but for safety. granted, foglights do not throw out much light, but, say if two cars were coming towards you, the one with the 'fogs' on will be much easier to see.

Now REAR FOGS is a completely different story :mad: :mad: :mad:

I drive with mine on during the day, and I like to see other drivers do the same. Not as a fashion statment, but for safety. granted, foglights do not throw out much light, but, say if two cars were coming towards you, the one with the 'fogs' on will be much easier to see.

Now REAR FOGS is a completely different story :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whats wrong with dipped headlights, they are perfectly acceptable , thers no need for extra lighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

colm_mcm wrote:

Driving lights only come on with the main beam of the headlights (on with high beam, off otherwise)

That's how the guards will view it, in accordance with the "type approval" regulations.

If they can/have to be manually switched on, then they are classed as fog lights. Slightly different spread patterns between the two as well, driving lights are biased "forward", fog lights are biased "width"

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

if you have em on auto .. no harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never understood the fuss about front fogs. As long as they are factory standard and properly adjusted, they've never bothered me

Mind, I don't use mine much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Whats wrong with dipped headlights, they are perfectly acceptable , thers no need for extra lighting

Nothing wrong with dipped lights, but they are more likely to dazzle oncomming traffic becasue they are aimed higher by design.

Dipped headlights don't dazzle traffic. Main headlights do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

"As one poster said, once properly aimed, they will not dazzle anyone"

I think this is wrong - the foglights on the previous model Micra (the noddy-car version) are MUCH brighter than the headlights and are always always always blinding. And that's for every Micra I've seen - they must surely have come like that from the factory.

Funny how the smallest cars have the brightest and most annoying fashion-lights.

I put 16w Hella driving lamps (really) on my car - they look like fogs but are much less bright - more like markers really. Yep, fashion accessory for me because I hate when people drive around with 2 x 55w fogs

what about 360W xenons?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Kerrist...
    I was reading in the Daily News about farmers having their beards singed by low-flying UFOs on country lanes at night time. That was you, wasn't it ?
    C_Breeze wrote:
    what about 360W xenons?? :D

franksm wrote:
    Kerrist...
    I was reading in the Daily News about farmers having their beards singed by low-flying UFOs on country lanes at night time. That was you, wasn't it ?

HAHA, maybe.

Ah it's not that bad though, low beam is only 330W.
    I got them in germany over the summer , cost a good bit.
    they are excellent, especially driving down backroads at night. :D

strangley though, not 1 person has ever flashed me with them on! .....maybe becuase they are of a bluish tint and arent as irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Last model Micras and the muppets that drive them are the worst when it comes to front fogs.

Spotlights my ar*e, they are all still fog lights and of course they dazzle people - I find only in the dark though. During the day I don't mind someone having fogs on but after dark they just blind oncoming drivers and there's no need for them to be on and 7/10 times I'll lash them with full beam for having them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

I drive with dipped beams and front fogs on all the time (except if its nighttime or raining, I turn off the fogs)
    Anything which makes me more visible to other road users/pedestrians I don't think is a bad thing....
    Front Fogs are designed to light up the road directly in front of you so shouldn't bother people during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

I do a lot of my driving on regional roads, and while I find fogs mildly annoying they dont compare with:
    a) Those who refuse to dip their beams
    b) 4x4 drivers with lights all over the place who refuse to adjust their beams to compensate for the horsebox etc
    c) People who have replaced the standard dipped lights with something else (stronger bulbs, HID lamps) thus ensuring the pattern is truly messed up
    d) Tractors with no marking lights

My impression of fogs is that they just dont DO much. They dont really blind you, but if you are the driver they dont add much either. Having said that I have never got to drive a car with fog lamps in (real) fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with previous posters, front fog lights are usually no big deal. There are plenty of far more annoying light related annoyances to contend with on the roads.

As for fog lights making a difference in fog - it depends on the car. Yellow fog lights as fitted to a lot of older cars seem to penetrate the fog better IME. Good fog lights generally do make a difference when picking out the ditch on country roads in fog. Even if it isn't foggy they can be good for illuminating potholes and debris on crap roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Johnny - I couldnt agree more, and what amuses me is the pure ignorance that go's with "Front Fogs", and have you noticed how many people actually turn off their Dipped headlight while turning on the Fogs! """crazy""" or what, because they obviously dont realise that the Dipped Headlight is designed for night driving and actually hits the road much better than Fogs.
    (FRONT FOGS ARE NOT ANGLED DOWN & ARE NOT INTENDED AS REPLACEMENTS FOR DIPPED BEAMS) unless its foggy of course!
    Thats why they are called FOG LIGHTS.

A friend of mine in the AA says that so many people are ignorant of what different lights are for, and then of course you have 'Boy racers' they have the Front Frogs on permantely "because it looks cool" like landing lights on a Jet Fighter no doubt!
    How Sad is that ..................................

• Advertisement

ArthurF wrote:
    Johnny - I couldnt agree more, and what amuses me is the pure ignorance that go's with "Front Fogs", and have you noticed how many people actually turn off their Dipped headlight while turning on the Fogs! """crazy""" or what, because they obviously dont realise that the Dipped Headlight is designed for night driving and actually hits the road much better than Fogs.
    (FRONT FOGS ARE NOT ANGLED DOWN & ARE NOT INTENDED AS REPLACEMENTS FOR DIPPED BEAMS) unless its foggy of course!
    Thats why they are called FOG LIGHTS.

A friend of mine in the AA says that so many people are ignorant of what different lights are for, and then of course you have 'Boy racers' they have the Front Frogs on permantely "because it looks cool" like landing lights on a Jet Fighter no doubt!
    How Sad is that ..................................

Um excuse me but most people driving around with fog lights dont seem to be boy racers to me. - unless mercs , beemers and such are now considered boy racer cars. Infact most cars ive seen with fogs on are totally the opposite to boy racer cars.
    I am what would be branded a boy racer (because im young and drive a hatchback) and i have already said i hate fogs on all the time.
    and where did the whole jet fighter idea come from :confused:
    -pure ignorance , its people like you that give young drivers a bad rep, by coming onto forums and spreading your crap.

Advertisement