Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Fog Lights - Fashon Accessory?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ArthurF wrote:
    (FRONT FOGS ARE NOT ANGLED DOWN

they actually are

ArthurF wrote:
    like landing lights on a Jet Fighter
    wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Why / how exactly do front fog lights make your car look cool?

MrP

who said they looked cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

colm_mcm wrote:
    who said they looked cool?
    I think they look cool....of course that's only my opinion and not a fact.

I suppose they tell the world that you're not driving a base model! but seriously, i don't see the harm, they're not dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The day I'm dazzled by someone elses fogs is the day I stop using them.

Xenons on the other hand should never have gotten approval. Never failed to be dazzled by an oncoming car with xenons....oh and buses, never failed to be dazzled by their higher mounted lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

mmenarry wrote:
    Driving lights only come on with the main beam of the headlights (on with high beam, off otherwise)
    Michael

Not true they mostly come on with side lights.
    Fog lights yellow
    Driving lights clear
    some after market ones may be fitted wrong.

I'd rather see them than not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

69 mustang wrote:
    Not true they mostly come on with side lights.
    Fog lights yellow
    Driving lights clear
    some after market ones may be fitted wrong.

I'd rather see them than not

Driving lights (not to be confused with the "marker lights" such as volvo use), must only come on with the main beam, and extinguish on dipped.

The only other differenciator is the beam pattern.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Calibos wrote:
    The day I'm dazzled by someone elses fogs is the day I stop using them.

Xenons on the other hand should never have gotten approval. Never failed to be dazzled by an oncoming car with xenons....oh and buses, never failed to be dazzled by their higher mounted lights.

Sorry Cali - I have owned a car with xenons and they adjust accordingly unlike fogs.

On a day to day basis I would be blinded/dazzled by some idiot with fogs on in the dark (probably with dipped headlights on too!!) a lot more than xenons.

Some mad xenons like on certain BMW/Range Rovers do blind you sometimes but generally I find fogs a lot worse.

Fogs don't make a car cool, engine power does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Berkel

I always have em on - I think in some situations they can make you more noticeable and with the amount of idiots, eating, smoking, talking on mobiles, rooting around for a cd and messing with their radio, talking to the kids in the back, its easy for them not to see you.! :mad:

I also ride a motorcycle so it probably comes from that as I always drive with the bike lights on! :cool:

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone has pointed out that it's actually a road traffic offence to have fogs on when there's no fog.

In the UK, plods pull people in over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Big Balls wrote:
    In the UK, plods pull people in over it.

Same in the North, I've seen it happen.

Saw an eejit in the middle lane on the N4 going from Lucan direction to the M50 roundabout this morning at about 0720 - rear foglight on, in stand-still traffic. (The guy in the car behind him all was lit up like a red neon light. Some people just accept the stupidity of others)

It wasn't even foggy this morning ! A little bit of frost yes, but zero fog !

On my poll-of-muppets, it's still the noddy-cars (Micras) that have the most obnoxious front foglamps - , plus previous model Fiestas, and any Renault especially Clio, Megane, Scenic and the Laguna - although the latter's foglights aren't dazzling compared to the others.

franksm wrote:
    it's still the noddy-cars (Micras) that have the most obnoxious front foglamps

Damn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why is it always those fecky little Micra's that have the Front Fog's on?
    (and BMW's) ................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

fletch wrote:
    I drive with dipped beams and front fogs on all the time (except if its nighttime or raining, I turn off the fogs)
    Anything which makes me more visible to other road users/pedestrians I don't think is a bad thing....
    Front Fogs are designed to light up the road directly in front of you so shouldn't bother people during the day

Actually Front Fog lights are designed to be used in FOG! Only!

The next time you turn on your Front Fogs have a look for a lit up symbol ( in Orange ), on your dash display, indicating a FOG light. If this is a case turn them off , Unless its Foggy of Course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GavinPJQuinn

Front fog lights/spot lights/lamps what ever you want to call them are put on a car as a safety feature and should only be switched on during foggy conditions or when visibility is seriously reduced and legally must be switched off when conditions improve.Take it from me I work in a garage and know the rules of the road as I used to teach motorbike CBT training in the UK.
    Not that this post will make any difference to all the as***les who drive round with them on during normal driving conditions.
    Check out this link.
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/21.htm#201

Please turn them off at night, especially at night because it blinds us bikers even more.Dont think this will make much difference though???????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Front fog lights/spot lights/lamps what ever you want to call them are put on a car as a safety feature and should only be switched on during foggy conditions or when visibility is seriously reduced and legally must be switched off when conditions improve.Take it from me I work in a garage and know the rules of the road as I used to teach motorbike CBT training in the UK.
    Not that this post will make any difference to all the as***les who drive round with them on during normal driving conditions.
    Check out this link.
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/21.htm#201

Please turn them off at night, especially at night because it blinds us bikers even more.Dont think this will make much difference though???????:mad:

eh ,since when was Ireland part of the UK ? ..... i didnt know we had the same rules of the road

C_Breeze wrote:
    eh ,since when was Ireland part of the UK ? ..... i didnt know we had the same rules of the road

Don't be silly. The safety factor is the point here!

Don't be silly. The safety factor is the point here!

thats true , i completley agree.
    but what i mean is he said it was against the law , and posted link from UK - implying its agaisnt the law her in IRL also , which its not.

• Advertisement

There is very little difference between Irish and Uk laws.
    Its the enforcement,certain by-laws and various laws to do with animals on the public highway is where the main differences are, although with the EU having a greater say in the running of our country our rules of the the road will eventually be bought into line with other EU countries.
    Except with regard to what side of the road we drive on and Autobahn speed restrictions.
    In my last post I did not mean that Ireland was part of the "UK" but our Rules of the Road are very similar to those in the UK.

At the end of the day having your fog lights and dipped beams or main beams on at the same time is dangerous and also illegal.

Hope it gets the message accross.;)

Unfortunately there is always going to be difficulty getting the mesage accross to some people.

Some Drink
    Some speed
    Some text
    Some Phone
    Some apply makeup
    Some don't wear seatbelts
    Some don't make their kids wear seatbelts :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Some Insist on using front fog lights
    Some forget to turn off rear fog lights
    Some undertake on motorways
    Some Hog the OVERTAKING LANE on motorways

The list gos on..............

Johnny you sound like a man after my own heart, thats why there is no enjoyment in driving anymore.Every journey just seems like an uphill struggle against idiots.I lived in the Uk for 5 years and have to admit the standard of driving over there is much higher than here.Although I love my country, the road manners/behaviour here leave a lot to be desired.
    Your list I could spend the rest of the year adding to it.
    Roll on the warmer/dryer weather so I can take the TLR out of the garage.:D

FOG LIGHTS:

Fog lights are specially designed to provide better visability in driving environments with high-density moisture (FOG) where light is prone to refraction.

I think that sums it up!

.....blah blah

I'm leaving mine on anyway!

Igorance!

did that annoy you just there?

colm_mcm wrote:
    .....blah blah

I'm leaving mine on anyway!

Not annoy me, just think its an ingorant thing to say.

TBH , i dont have fog lights , so maybe thats why im against them - maybe im just jealous though coz i seen some guy today drivin around in his clio with foglights on and thought 'wow , he's soo cool , he must get all the hot chicks'

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote:
    TBH , i dont have fog lights , so maybe thats why im against them - maybe im just jealous though coz i seen some guy today drivin around in his clio with foglights on and thought 'wow , he's soo cool , he must get all the hot chicks'

LOL!:D :D

Advertisement