Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

too much smallville bashing here for my liking! but we are all entitled to my opinions..... and heres mine!

While MR and JG are probly the best actors on the show,that can be partly attributed to the fact that they have the most interesting and unpredictable characters on the show.

i disagree with the dissing of martha and johnathan as i think they are by far the most hands on and interesting version of the kents from any supes incarnations. while pa can be a bit too righteous i tink their acting is quite good

the general lightness of the acting can be put down to the writing which ill agree can be weak at times.

the whole witch thing with lana can be put down to the need for fillers and in many of the comics Lana was a witch (so i have heard)

Tom proves he can act in several episodes, transference, splinter and any episode in which he was on red k

while we do know how their relationships end up there is plenty of room for yo-yo-ing in between so i dont think the show is constrained by the history of supes all that much. for example, in most supes incarnations Lex never knew clark as a boy and lionel was rarely mentioned or portrayed the way he is now.

and as for buffy!! if that wasnt a comedy it was the worst show ever written! (if it wasnt a comedy)

and for anybody who is interested the best episode EVER!! is on tomoro nite, and if you dont love it after that then there is no hope for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

how was tonights the best ever? fairly average to be honest.

as for buffy's writing,have to say it was one of the best written shows in years,that would be my opinion.

smallville is an entertaing show at times,but average overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

yep, Joss Whedon is the master (no pun intended) . I still can't grasp how buffy was a comedy though. I don't ever recall seeing it up for an emmy in the comedy category, in it's entire 7 year run. :cool:

@ superdub you mean ''Hidden'', the quick synopsis doesn't fill me with xcitement but I'll hold out til I see it. :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I really enjoy Smallville but I spend a lot of my time wanting to give Clarke a good kicking. He's such a drip. Tom Welling must be sick of playing such a dweeb all the time. For someone so powerful, he has no backbone. And if you ever watch some of the scenes at the farmhouse, sometimes there's a pot of Carrots or spuds or something else like that what would feed the entire cast and there's only 4 people in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

"Hidden" - An ok episode. Not bad but not anything special. (imo, of course)

• Advertisement

well IMO hidden is the best episode ever
    Fact: best ever clana moment and best supersave ever, i dont think that can be disputed!

As for the backbone comment, he risks his life everyday and is completely selfless, he has come close to death many times so its not just a walk in the park for him.

he is however a bit dim!

IMO buffy had to be a comedy cuz there was no other explanation for the lame acting, rubbish fighting and generally dialogue, again IMO.
    also the vampires were always coming out with silly oneliners and were anything but scary

all i can say norbert is wait and see tonite but again thats just my opinion

tvnutz wrote:

as for buffy's writing,have to say it was one of the best written shows in years,that would be my opinion.

i wud say the writing on SV can be a bit weak at times but for a superhero fan ther is no better show, without any shadow of a doubt. After all he is the quintessential superhero!

but i must say i thought the acting and plots and dialogue were of a quite comedic nature and it they were not ment to id have to say i tink it was very weak then

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Superdub2 wrote:
    he is however a bit dim!

He doesn't seem as dim this season. I've been watching it and a few times I've thought "Wtf? How did he figure out that? He can barely read!".

In previous seasons he used to come across as mildly retarded. Funniest moment: When Pa Kent is teaching him how to play American football and Clark takes the football and dunks it in a basketball net :D

id have to agree with you stark, he has gotten smarter.

what i find the funniest is the fact that when he is on red k or is being bad clark he is way smarter, like in splinter in s5 when chloe tried to get him with the green k he just supersped thru the wall or in arrival when the bad kryptonians had the strenght to lift up a huge thick steel door while green k was being used against them, yet when he is normal he just looks like he is gettin stomach cramps and falls over!

the fact that you like the clana says a lot...it is by far the worst relationship on tv,it ruins the show and I really want lana to die a horrible horrible death,or a very funny on like her parents did.

buffy is supposed to be funny,but not a comedy...and like i said before,writing,acting,everything...just far better than smallville...and hey,I like smallville,i have both shows on dvd,but comparing them,I can see such a huge gap in quality.

so many things bug me about smallville that i find it hard for it to be a favourite show of mine,even though I do enjoy it at times. I could list a lot of stuff off,but I don't have time at the moment :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so clark is finally getting some regular lana woohoo!

were the evil kryptonians only it for 1-2 shows they could have done a whole season out of them...

tvnutz wrote:
    the fact that you like the clana says a lot...it is by far the worst relationship on tv,it ruins the show and I really want lana to die a horrible horrible death,or a very funny on like her parents did.

buffy is supposed to be funny,but not a comedy...and like i said before,writing,acting,everything...just far better than smallville...and hey,I like smallville,i have both shows on dvd,but comparing them,I can see such a huge gap in quality.

so many things bug me about smallville that i find it hard for it to be a favourite show of mine,even though I do enjoy it at times. I could list a lot of stuff off,but I don't have time at the moment :p

personally i dont particularly like the whole clana thing, but i have to say i liked that clana monent.

we will have to agree to disagree on the buffy issue!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Superdub2 wrote:
    and as for buffy!! if that wasnt a comedy it was the worst show ever written! (if it wasnt a comedy)
    ah now I see, wouldn't agree with you, but anywho. :D
    were the evil kryptonians only it for 1-2 shows they could have done a whole season out of them...
    nope, remember James Marsters materialised in ep1. (I think we all know this, but anywho)
    I'm sure we aint seen the last of him.

@ episode 3, can see what you mean superdub, was very good, & for some strange reason the Clana thing didn't bug me as much as it usually does. That said, I think I'll still hold off from awarding the ''best episode ever'' title, until I see the rest of the season. :cool:

Well here are my ratings for the next episodes:

Aquaman - had the potential to be a great episode, like the Flash one from Season 4. But they picked a rubbish actor to do it, so it ends up being a poor episode.

Thirst - crappy hallowe'en episode. Has some comic value, but also has lots and lots of Lana, shudder.

Exposed - Annoying Lois episode.

Splinter - One of the best episodes, also shows Tom Welling can actually act.

Solitude - Another reallly good episode.

Lexmas - The "holiday" episode. I thought it would be rubbish after seeing "Thirst" but it's actually pretty decent. I guess it's because it's the first time we've seen much of Lex in a while.

Fanatic - Kind of a filler episode, but does have a great revelation by Lana at the end. With Clark being a dick in reply as usual.

Lockdown - Either filler or setup for next episode, next episode will tell.

Reckoning - Haven't seen it yet but I've high hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I just watched Reckoning and it's a decent epsiode.
    But it's really sad. A bad mood to start the weekend really. Poor Clarke, he had about 2 hours happiness in his life before she was killed and then his Dad goes. Despite his Dad dying, everything is wrapped up in a nice little package - I think they could have spread out Lana knowing about him for a bit longer though... wow, that has really put my in a sad mood... <googles pictures of lana lang>

It seems to bring a major story arc to an end and the next episode looks like more villian-of-the-week.

I knew from previews that someone was gonna bite the bullet this ep and felt sure i knew who it was. So half-way through so far so good. But then the time travelling thing came into it, and i thought "Man, what a cop-out!!!"

But then the ep actually turned out pretty well in the end. Someone stayed dead. An unexpected person too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Wow Reckoning was a superb episode, the show has really improved in Season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Just watched Reckoning. Quite a good episode.
    Not an episode to make you feel happy though...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saw "Reckoning" there and
    whilst it was good, it was a cop out to do it all over again. Yes, yes Clark has to live with his guilt and that might feed into character development, but how much more brave would it have been to kill Lana? Not only is she annoying, I'd never have thunk it.

Instead we get Pa Kent who has had the Grim Reaper over him for ages. He was the obvious choice (along with p'raps Chloe), ever since we knew someone would die this season. At least his actual death was done well enough - he didn't even have a platitude to see him into the tunnel.

Have to say I was a little disapponted. Even the Superman nods - earth-spinning backwards joke and compressing the coal into diamond - weren't enough to feel that the writers were just a tad lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I just watched Thursday's episode :( I'm so sad right now :(:(:(
    damn Lana, her life saving was not worth Mr Kent's life! The music at the end was beautiful, it made it even sadder!
    :(

• Advertisement

Average at best episode tbh,as 100th episodes go,this was far from great.

This was the hundreth?!? I guess that means it can go into syndication now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I dont know how after Lana has witnessed Lex covering up the teagues death for her, spaceship and the whole elements fiasco from last season and Arrival...can she still seem to trust him. Perhaps Clarke should concentrate on exposing Lex than worrying about his own secrets this season.

100 episode was good excellent in moments.
    tvnutz-- Average at best episode tbh,as 100th episodes go,this was far from great.

How can you still watch this show then? what are your favourite shows then??

What do you mean,how can I still watch the show? What kind of stupid question is that? Just because I thought the 100th episode wasn't as good as it should be,I should stop watching? Every TV show is going to have bad episodes,and if I stopped watching after seeing a bad one,then Id never follow a tv show to the end.

Favourite shows? Why is that important to this conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I thought the timetravel thing was a bit of a copout, and would have preferred it if
    Lana
    stayed dead....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's quite a good show - not quite a classic, there are many better than it - but I'm just curious as to how they're going to end it. I mean, Clark Kent can't be in high school indefinitely. Think it would be neat if they spun off to do a proper Superman series when this one is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well in the new series he's in college
    The music at the end was beautiful, it made it even sadder!
    I completely agree, twas class, but very sad...must say i enjoyed that epsiode(ended up watching it again today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Tvnuts contribution to this thread:
    tvnutz What do you mean,how can I still watch the show? What kind of stupid question is that
    so many things bug me about smallville that i find it hard for it to be a favourite show of mine,even though I do enjoy it at times. I could list a lot of stuff off,but I don't have time at the moment

smallville is not bad,but not great. There is a lot of dodgy writing and acting
    John Glover and MR are the only 2 decent actors,but out of the whole cast there are only 2! The whole cast of Buffy were far far better than anyone on smallville. and spike is far better than Prof. Fine.

So you love to watch shows which are average and the acting bad?

I asked you why do you watch this show as average and bad acting aint on view here:confused:

I have to agree with everything tvnutz said.

The writing is dodgy.

Most of the acting is bad.

Still find the show entertaining though :)

• Advertisement

Saw Reckoning myself and it was very average. Such a disappointment. What I especially hated was
    Major character finds out Clark's secret. Dues ex machina causes their memory to be wiped, keeping his secret safe for another day. That's pretty much the course of an average Smallville episode. Reckoning was hyped for months as the episode where Clark comes completely clean to Lana, no more "thecrets and lieths". This was what I was looking forward to, more than Pa Kent biting the bullet. But they made a total cop-out of it. Personally I feel they've let fans down badly

Advertisement