Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 clodaghsmummy

Thank you Oryx, I could not agree more. So Oryx how are you spending halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Just outside Killarney

Best of luck , hope you all have great night !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I plan on going :)

I have been really intrigued by the paranormal, especially in the last week or so (particularly after reading that ghost experience thread in this forum), and would count myself as believing in other-wordly beings.

I plan on going to St Kevins tonight with a group of friends, for the night thats in it and I have a few questions:

- I know tonight isn't an ideal night as there will be a lot of messers but what would be the best night to do a follow-up?

- What should I bring?

- Do I need a crowbar etc to get into the place? (not advocating any illegal destruction of property of course!)

- If St Kevins is not safe for tonight could anyone recommend anywhere else?

I live in Togher, and am going to be staying on Barracks Street tonight so anywhere near there would be great :)

Thanks a lot,
    Big Cheese

If your up in Barrack St it could be noisey up there LOL lot of bars there :D

Its raining at mo might deter some folk/messers heading up sundays well / st Kevins etc

heres a link for some fotos of st kevs , might be os some help to you

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=5045

good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Thank you Oryx, I could not agree more. So Oryx how are you spending halloween?

And yet youre half of the reason why Oryx even issued a warning in the first place!! :pac:

Stargate wrote: »
    If your up in Barrack St it could be noisey up there LOL lot of bars there :D

Its raining at mo might deter some folk/messers heading up sundays well / st Kevins etc

heres a link for some fotos of st kevs , might be os some help to you

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=5045

good luck !

Tbh Ive never wanted any messers to head up to St. Kevins. I hold nothin but contempt for vandalisers or yokes going up there to get high/drunk and hoping a pookie might pop out. They should have some respect for the building because it's an ancient building that's part of Cork's socal and cultural fabric. Have some f ucking respect like

The rain will make it very slippery if people are trying to climb up outside it. There seems to be a lot of water leaking up inside the fourth floor already, so Id say thats just the plumbing acting up. Theres a lot of asbestos in the structure of the walls and doors, so Id advise people not to take deep breaths when inside. All the junkies will be up there tonight, esp. around the back where the kitchens are. Mind yourselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

In the first few pages someone was asking about Cobh, my cousin is a priest there and crashed his car a few years ago on the road (either going in or coming out of Cobh, not sure which one, not overly familiar with Cobh, only been a few times) Anyway he's a very straight kind of man, doesn't drink and doesn't mess around, I used to ask him when I was in college in Maynooth about anything eery or ghost like in Maynooth or if he knew more about the "ghost room" there and he dismissed any of that kind of talk. But when he told us about his crash he was visibly uncomfortable. He said it took all his strength to hold the steering wheel and pull it left because "something" was pulling it right. Anyway he crashed in to the wall, nothing major, the car was a bit of a wreck but he was fine. But there has been no other explanation for it, it was a dry day, no ice or rain on the road or anything and all he can describe the whole thing as is that something pulled the wheel from him and no matter how hard he tried to pull it away he couldn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of anything strange on that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Bump.
    Odd little experience recently, was on the Christmas Kinsale Ghost tour, great fun (not at all spooky though). When you're on the tour you get a sticker to show you've paid, so after the tour went into the Greyhound for a drink and took the sticker off and stuck it to the inside of my jacket so as not to look like a tourist:o. When washing my hands looked in the mirror and saw the sticker was now on the back of my shoulder. TBH, this could be easily explained but it reminded me that I heard sometime that the pub was haunted, it's very old and apparently was used as a prison or some such back in the day. There were lots of stories flying around about tunnels to Desmond tower when the street outside was dug up for the main drainage scheme and I was wondering has anybody else heard anything about the place?

tyler71 wrote: »
    Bump.
    Odd little experience recently, was on the Christmas Kinsale Ghost tour, great fun (not at all spooky though). When you're on the tour you get a sticker to show you've paid, so after the tour went into the Greyhound for a drink and took the sticker off and stuck it to the inside of my jacket so as not to look like a tourist:o. When washing my hands looked in the mirror and saw the sticker was now on the back of my shoulder. TBH, this could be easily explained but it reminded me that I heard sometime that the pub was haunted, it's very old and apparently was used as a prison or some such back in the day. There were lots of stories flying around about tunnels to Desmond tower when the street outside was dug up for the main drainage scheme and I was wondering has anybody else heard anything about the place?

The Grey Hound Bar3815481571_3e1f2c77a2.jpg

3919554747_40c51ba895.jpg

I've never drank in this place but I passed by it several times a few years ago. I never heard anything about this place being haunted. What sort of phenomena has been reputed to manifest itself there?

As for the tunnels. Do the tunnels lead to and from Desmond Castle (below)?
    castle.jpg

I never heard about tunnels connected between The Grey Hound and Desmond Castle.

The only tunnels in Kinsale that I once heard about were the ones leading to and from St. James Fort.

james-fort-tunnels-at.jpg
    St. James Fort.

There was an interesting review of the place on TripAdvisor.com:
    This fort is located just a couple kilometers from the heart of Kinsale. You walk across a beach to get to the hillside it is on and from then on you can explore to your heart's content. There are plenty of buildings (ruins) to scramble around and tunnels to find. It's not easy to find unless you know it's there, we knew it was there and still had trouble, but just ask for directions. Because of this, there are hardly any people there so it feels like you have the place to yourself. They are in the process of renovating it so eventually they may charge an entrance fee, but for now it is completely free.

Dunno what's 'haunted' in that town, apart from the stories about 'The White Lady' hanging around up in Charles Fort. Can anyone corroborate The Grey Hound pub or any of the above tunnels being allegedly 'haunted'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Clare Bear wrote: »
    In the first few pages someone was asking about Cobh, my cousin is a priest there and crashed his car a few years ago on the road (either going in or coming out of Cobh, not sure which one, not overly familiar with Cobh, only been a few times) Anyway he's a very straight kind of man, doesn't drink and doesn't mess around, I used to ask him when I was in college in Maynooth about anything eery or ghost like in Maynooth or if he knew more about the "ghost room" there and he dismissed any of that kind of talk. But when he told us about his crash he was visibly uncomfortable. He said it took all his strength to hold the steering wheel and pull it left because "something" was pulling it right. Anyway he crashed in to the wall, nothing major, the car was a bit of a wreck but he was fine. But there has been no other explanation for it, it was a dry day, no ice or rain on the road or anything and all he can describe the whole thing as is that something pulled the wheel from him and no matter how hard he tried to pull it away he couldn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of anything strange on that road?
    Your cousin is more than likely referring to the fota road,it's the main road in and out of the town.I heard a few stories about ghosts appearing on the road there.Your cousin must of gotten some fright.Maybe something went in the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unrealness

AAHH i just wrote a big long spheel but the flipping thing deleted!! :mad: must be a sign...........

me & my 2 friends went to to Eglinton asylum...grey long building...yesterday.

3/4 along the building there's a removed window pane & pieces of wood strewn on the ground that allow easy access into the buiding.

yes climbing through the window.

the width of window is quite narrow & a rather high. not good for a quick escape :D

climbed in anyway. i knocked over a half full can of Bud that had been placed on the floor & the sound reverberated around the entire walls.

i was freaked in case some junkie would jump out of a dark corner.

the spilt Bud made bubbles & a fizzing noise so i presume it hasnt been there very long.

very musty smell inside & everything's been cleared. u can still get a sence of the place. if u go in the window to the main hall & turn right there's a stairs 20 paces right. the next floor is way brighter as there's no wooden slabs boarding the windows.

there's a few empty bottles of wine littering this floor but the view from the windows is superb. really breathtaking.

we didnt climb any higher.i relly wanted to see if i could get as far as the clocktower yoke. but we heard a loud thud in the distance & i just got dizzy with fear & went back downstairs & flew out the window.

just below the window to the left there's a stair leading down to the base,ment. easily accessable as there's no planks blocking the doors. there is, however, a msg spraypainted 'if u go buzzin u will die'.

i know that prob doenst mean much now but if ur in the situation, u dont wanna go lurking where there's a load of knackers high as kites prowling in the shadows.

the basement is very scary. its black black black & we had no torches. there's a boiler inside & a switch thrown on the floor saying 'start/stop'.

didnt press it.

further inside ther's a tunnel but my fear was that there could be someone staring at me & i couldnt see them at all. was very curious to know where it lead. would need to b very brave & lots of torches to explore it.

there was a group of knackers by the railings by end of building. otherwise we could'v walked up to St kevins & the chapel.

drove also to main entrance of st kevins but there's massive steel gates there now. u could climb around the fenmce though.

but i saw a hi ace van parked there & drew my own conclusions.......... ;)

very good post & some real cool pictures. id love to know more about the history of the place.

its the thought of junkies & knackers that scared me most.

i'd highly recommend going there though. don't know how long the window will be accessable for. there;s workmen painting the middle section of the building so they might board it up soon again.

couldnt see any other possible entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Katiekoo

Check out http://www.abandonedireland.com/skv_3.html it shows you the inside of St Kevin’s asylum by the river lee in Cork its really cool I have been obsessed with that place since I was really young. It is definitely haunted as perfectly normal individuals were signed in there by a doctor when their family wanted ride of you and there you would stay. My dad told me stories that is patients got out of hand they were smothered and he was told these stories by male nurse that used to work there years ago. Apparently you can feel the atmosphere on entering and within 40min the sprits will let you know you are not wanted in the building.

I used to work for a property developer and he was looking into developing the Eglington Asylum, Cork “ AKA St Ann’s” as it occupies one of the most sought after pieces of land near the River Lee. He when there with three of his partners and engineer’s they toured the site and he said the walls were crawling and that he and his and the other partners decided not to develop it. It has since been developed I wonder if anyone who has bought one of those apartments has any stories of strange happenings????

I think Cork should cash in and make it a tourist site for paranormal activity by taking tours around the building like they do in Edinburgh and there haunted sites.

check out http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5292694&page=2. This is another site that has haunted stories form various places in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I ponder if a group got together and approached the Council to gain proper access to places like St. Kevins, The good Shepard would they actually consider it. If it was arranged that they group would pay to spend a weekend up in these two areas one nite in each..It is such a shame to seem them being let turn into rubble when so many people are interested in the buildings for whether reasons...I tried to contact the compant that own The Good Shepard but stangley enough never got an reply from them.. It would save the council having to tell people that they cant go into the buildings

I think if a group of people did a night there with cameras like the blare witch project and put it on you tube. It would get a great response as most people are curious of it and its history. I don’t see permission being granted for anything as adventurous as a documentary maybe if I approach RTE ha ha or most haunted UK and ask them over???

Plus they don’t want to draw attention to the building. When it first became derelict the travellers pilfered any valuable copper. I always said if i won the lotto I would make it into such a money maker I would make it a wax museum for old school asylum equipment and get more tales of what when on there like there is bound to be tales of misconduct and gross negligence by past employees.:confused:

Like does anyone know people who worked in the buildings they should come and leave stories on this forum and the construction workers who recently converted it there has to be info out there and tales of terror.

The building in its self has a dark cloud of darkness hanging over it till there no place in the world would be able to top it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I am with a Paranormal Team who has investigated The Good Shepard Convent...

We gained permission for it, however we could not gain permission for St Kevins.

The Good Shepard Convent is a very good place to investigate.. we couldn't find anything on camera or audio, however, I myself had a very interesting personal experiance in there.

We only gained permission through a contact of one of our old team members..

We have since tried to gain permission again and have been refused.

I love your website. it’s great to see these historical buildings being captured before they are all but wiped out by the machine which is the Irish property developer on the other hand they stand as shrines of the misconduct and devilment of days gone by.

I spent the morning reading and looking at the photography at the Good Shepherded Convent, would you believe I have never seen this building.

I was passing through Ballyvourney last weekend and saw De Salle College "Coláiste Íosagáin it is amazing the location is prime and me friends were filling me in on the history and tales of the building creepy. With the risk of sounding like a complete fairy It was the willow trees that drew me in its like they absorbed the energy of the place if that sounds insane sorry but I was entranced by them.

That is how I stumbled across the forum and your work I started researching into it as I find it so interesting. Talking about a weird hobby.

Anyway love the woke saves me having to venture up and inside the buildings myself and scaring myself to death.:eek:

Would love to know what your experiance was do tell ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We once lived in a haunted house in redbarn near youghal. its left to ruin now, its hidden behind overgrowth on the left hand side as you go down to the quality hotel, redbarn strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Katiekoo wrote: »
    it’s great to see these historical buildings being captured before they are all but wiped out by the machine which is the Irish property developer

I wouldnt worry too much about it

Not in this economic climate nama owns them all now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

theres supposed to be an old georgian style mansion out near Conna in the north of Cork thats 'haunted'. one of the previous owners from years back carried out all these satanic rituals that f-cked up the house royally. even so,theres supposed to be people living in the place nowadays. Good luck to them. ;) The general area of Conna is said to be spooky and weird anyway. never been 2 the place but i might make a start on it in the near future. See here for more info on that house

I lived in an old goergian style house near Conna for 13 months in 2007. Strange things happened there from day 1, noises, doors and windows banging, voices even there was no house or street nearby, my dogs went beserk in the middle of the nght and started to growl or bark. I took a few strange pictures with what looks like faces in the windows, even one that looks like a woman in a dress. The house was ice cold inside, even in the summer, we spent about 6000 EUR on heating and had 2 fireplaces burning with no effect. Visitors felt uneasy, especially in one bedroom which we nicknamed the "death room" as it was had this creepy atmosphere. After 13 minths we moved out and recently discovered that 4 people already moved out after us and now the house was on sale for 180.000 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

mlink73 wrote: »
    I lived in an old goergian style house near Conna for 13 months in 2007. Strange things happened there from day 1, noises, doors and windows banging, voices even there was no house or street nearby, my dogs went beserk in the middle of the nght and started to growl or bark. I took a few strange pictures with what looks like faces in the windows, even one that looks like a woman in a dress. The house was ice cold inside, even in the summer, we spent about 6000 EUR on heating and had 2 fireplaces burning with no effect. Visitors felt uneasy, especially in one bedroom which we nicknamed the "death room" as it was had this creepy atmosphere. After 13 minths we moved out and recently discovered that 4 people already moved out after us and now the house was on sale for 180.000 EUR.

CAn you post the picturs?

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote: »
    CAn you post the picturs?

Yes, I will upload them on my server and post the links here when I'm home.

Talking about the conna area we lived near ballynoe in a farm house and the lights used to flicker on and off and there woud be a scratching noise in the roof, my parents said it was mice but it wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How do you know it wasn't? Scratching noises in the walls or the attic are sure signs of vermin like rats and mice, or possibly even squirrels or bats. I've had mice in my attic before; they're noisy little buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

kylith wrote: »
    How do you know it wasn't? Scratching noises in the walls or the attic are sure signs of vermin like rats and mice, or possibly even squirrels or bats. I've had mice in my attic before; they're noisy little buggers.

True and not only noisy but they like to nibble on things.
    If they were at wires it might account for the lights.

the rooms were in the roof there was only slates and insulating between the me and the stars, also it was only in my room, not in any of the other 4 bedrooms and bathroom on the same level.

also we moved to another house in clare after that house and there would be scratching at my door and in the roof over me, if i pretended to be asleep it would go away. we had a cat so i thought he might be her i opened my bedroom door and nothing there and all doors were closed, i never opened my door again after that. left the window open for the cat to come into my room ( she used to bring me dead animals). also she wasnt in the attic above me as it was always locked. i think whatever was in the other house came with us.

i had a couple of nasty experiences when i moved out of home into my own house eerrr creepy( bed shaking and cat like creature with red eyes).

also in the house in redbarn there was a constant dripping noise only at night in my room the sorce could never be found at nowhere in the room was wet, even outside on a dry night there was a drip drip drip. its giving me the creeps just typing it , aahhh i wont sleep tonight.

for got this one - when i went to bed in the two houses i would feel the cat jump on my bed but if i moved my leg a few mins later there was not a cat there. my mom also had this happen to her. that freeked me out aswell. sometimes i would move and feel the cat or she would walk up me and snuggle into me. but also what freeked me out is that when she walked up me and snuggled down i would go to pet her and she would not be there, after the third time i didnt reach to pet her as there might not be nothing there and thats creepy as you can feel each of the paws treading on you and there aint nothing there, i never looked as i didnt want to see.

Yes, I will upload them on my server and post the links here when I'm home.

I have uploaded the first pic. This was taken before we even moved in. No one was around and the house still locked. I had the keys with me. There appears to be a lady in the first floor window.

Please bear with me for more but right now I have some serious family business going on as my mother was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, so I won't be on that often.

01.jpg
    1.jpg

mlink73 -

I saved the photo you uploaded so I was able to zoom in on the first floor window and, to be honest with you, all I could make out was a white blur. I couldn't see a specific, discernible gender in that blur at all. Seriously.

I've heard about a Georgian mansion situated one mile from the town of Conna, though. The Queen Anne-era house has a bit of an infamous reputation, ever since an owner many, many years ago dabbled with 'The Black Arts' inside the house. A human skull deemed to have been approximately 100-years-old was found in the same house in December 2007. Gardai didn't rule out foul play at the time, but I never heard anything else about the case afterwards, so God knows what the result of the forensic investigation was.

This wouldn't be the same house you once occupied, would it? There can't be many big Georgian-style houses near Conna...

mlink73 -

I saved the photo you uploaded so I was able to zoom in on the first floor window and, to be honest with you, all I could make out was a white blur. I couldn't see a specific, discernible gender in that blur at all. Seriously.

I've heard about a Georgian mansion situated one mile from the town of Conna, though. The Queen Anne-era house has a bit of an infamous reputation, ever since an owner many, many years ago dabbled with 'The Black Arts' inside the house. A human skull deemed to have been approximately 100-years-old was found in the same house in December 2007. Gardai didn't rule out foul play at the time, but I never heard anything else about the case afterwards, so God knows what the result of the forensic investigation was.

This wouldn't be the same house you once occupied, would it? There can't be many big Georgian-style houses near Conna...

The picture was taken from very far away, so it's already zoomed up to the point from where it gets blurry. It looks like a figure with a waiste and typical female "curves" if you look close. I have more pics that I will upload in the next few days. I don't think it's the same house as I lived there in 2007/2008, it wasn't me who found the scull, so it must have been a different house, but very close to the other one I suppose.

Sorry about your mom. my uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumor 25 years ago, it was too deep to operate. he died last august.

I do hope that they are able to operate on your mother.

best wishes.

• Advertisement

The picture was taken from very far away, so it's already zoomed up to the point from where it gets blurry. It looks like a figure with a waist and typical female "curves" if you look close.

But if you were to take a photograph from a distance of a living person standing inside a window, their physical features wouldn't fragment only to become an indeterminate blur due to zooming in.

I can see what you're saying about the thing looking as if it's a woman alright, but all I'd think is that it's a female-looking blur. Well, something of a visually anomalous nature was definitely captured anyway. It would have been handy if you had taken a photograph or two of the exact same part of the house directly afterwards because you could cross-reference them with the first photo you took.

I have more pics that I will upload in the next few days.

Okay, great. Thanks. That'll be interesting.
    I don't think it's the same house as I lived there in 2007/2008, it wasn't me who found the skull, so it must have been a different house, but very close to the other one I suppose.

Yeah, I'd say you'd remember having found a human skull, lol. :D Must be a different, but similar-looking, house then.

Advertisement