Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

You may have noticed my sense of humour in some of my posts, I got a kick out of picturing Zillah following the Necronomicon, and manage to identify that there are at least a couple of people who have read a bit of paranormal material posting here. By the way, the rites I write (and my colleagues and students)can be every bit as powerful as any other ritual, that's the original purpose of "The Book of Shadows". So again I'll say, if it works for you use it.If you're interested, ask.Love the computer analogy, that's exactly how I see our brains working.

And sorry, I've got to remark (no offence to any of its followers) the fact that so many people blindly accept the bible, the greatest fictional mess of contradictions and murderous rules ever compiled, shows there are serious gaps in rational thinking in this country.

Aah the voice of sense at last. Thanks you Solas!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Hi mysteria. I have a couple of questions here i'd like to ask.

What do you do to produce magical effect?
    When was the last time you produced or witnessed magical effect and can you describe what it was? What made you interested in magick in the first place?

By the way, I find that Bible remark incredibly hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

mysteria wrote:
    And sorry, I've got to remark (no offence to any of its followers) the fact that so many people blindly accept the bible, the greatest fictional mess of contradictions and murderous rules ever compiled, shows there are serious gaps in rational thinking in this country.

There are contradictions between the Old and New Testament, but a Christian is a follower of Christ's philosophies, first and foremost, and as such, I don't know of any contradictions within the New Testament. Nor would I agree that it is fictional, it has more evidence to it's authenticity than many ancient texts, and has been scrutinised and studied more. Indeed, many people have devoted their lives to the study of Biblical theology.

The Quran would be a more incorrupted text, due to the nature of it's preservation orally (scholars have always memorised the texts word for word, and it has been shown that the versions remembered are identical), and the fact that there *may* be evidence the Romans changed parts of the Bible. Love thy neighbour is hardly a 'murderous rule', however.

• Advertisement

Can you define hypocrisy for me? It's the 2nd time I've been called that, to my knowledge it means saying one thing and meaning the other. I think it's a very clear opinion.
    I'll spell it out again. In order to obtain Arcane knowledge you need to study and be initiated. Part of your initiation involves an oath of secrecy. We can only release information to people who need, or can use it properly. Try asking a guitarist how to play the guitar in a public forum.How can he prove to you he can play if his only medium is words. Would you challenge him and imply he's a chancer if he couldnt prove that Music exists?
    I use "Magick" primarily for Healing those in this world and the next. So one part of my work involves dealing with Spirit activity in Haunted Houses. I published a book 10 yrs ago on some of my cases, it was on 25 paranormal best-seller lists in the USA. And I appeared on lots of Irish TV shows with different families whose homes I had worked in, including the Late Late Show. Michael Aspel's show "strange but true" made a documentary about my work in a house in Galway, the show had 80million viewers. I've been on TV debates with, and advised and helped Fr. Pat Collins, the R.C. Exorcist, and Rev.Stanley Baird, C.O.I. Exorcist. I'm making a series of Documentaries about my work, to be aired on the Discovery Channel next year.And I can't stand the blatant showmanship of the "Derek Acorah"types. To rid a house of terrifying Spirit/Polterkinetic activity is Magick in practice, and it feels great!!

The Catholicism in this country is mainly "Pauline", hence very suspect.
    I live according to the Love thy Neighbour philosophy (not in the Biblical sense of course lol. So can Christians help me ou a lttle here?, when someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, should I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination.
    When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9).
    > The problem is my neighbors.
    > They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.
    > How should I deal with this?
    >
    > I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7.
    > In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
    >
    > I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    > period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev.15:19-24).
    > The problem is, how do I tell?
    > I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
    >
    > Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are
    > around us.
    > A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
    >
    > I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.
    > Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
    > Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
    >
    > A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
    > I don't agree.
    > Can you settle this?
    >
    > Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have
    > a defect in my sight.
    > I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses.
    > Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there any leeway here?
    >
    > Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
    > around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.
    > How should they die?
    >
    > I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
    > unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
    >
    > My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of
    > two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
    > He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.
    > Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev. 24:10-16.
    > Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
    >
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kernel wrote:

Gods that looks awful, by THE book on wicca I ment there is no difinitive text,
    like the bible and the koran and the torah.

Kernel wrote:
    You're the one who is being presumptuous by telling myself and Zillah to go and do some reading to educate ourselves, unfortunately, you weren't to know that I've read dozens of books on the occult and paranormal over the years.

Go back to my post where I explain about having to do to know.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50587903&postcount=11
    kernel wrote:
    I ask you again, what should we consult to find out for ourselves?
    Again it is a case of doing, if you are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mysteria wrote:
    Zillah reads the dictionary but does'nt understand the words (uness they'e insults)
    myteria wrote:
    Can you define hypocrisy for me? It's the 2nd time I've been called that, to my knowledge it means saying one thing and meaning the other. I think it's a very clear opinion.

Oh...oh I wish you could pick out the exact pitch of my delicious laughter.

Oh. Anyway, I apoligise for calling you a hostile cow. I shoudn't sink so low, I allowed my frustration get the better of me. However, I still maintain that you're being very hypocritical, which, as I pointed out, was more a criticism than an insult. The definition of "hypocrite" above is a little simplistic. To elaborate, it could be more accurately described as; expecting one form of behaviour or attitude in others, but not subscribing to such themselves. A person who believes "do as I say, not as I do" would be a hypocrite.

I called you a hypocrite because you expected me to accept your beliefs and opinions without question, and yet you so thoroughly ignored my wish to be acknowledged as a sceptic, not a cynic. I've asked that several times so far, and you've ignored it quite thoroughly.

I believe Ozzy found your condemnation of the bible to be hypocritical because you yourself subscribe to the teachings of many texts that have similar dubious origins

As regards the rain stopping incident, how can you be anyway sure it was anything more than coincidence unless you are able to do it repeatidly? If I tried really hard to make it rain now, and it did, I'd be curious. But I wouldnt think I had made it rain unless I was able to do it again and again. If I hadn't tried to make it rain, it would have rained anyway.

And I'd really like it if you would A, stop telling us about your exalted experience or B, substantiate some of these claims. You have yet to provide us with a link to any of these website you own, or even provide us with the name of this institute that you have apparently chaired since 1984.

Zillah the reason that people have a profile on boards.ie is so that you can
    check them out and learn more information about them.
    If you were bother to even go to that little effort you would find the links and
    information about Mysteria what you are looking for as she has provided them there.
    But it seems you can't find out this much my yourslef you have to be spoonfed even this much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

mysteria wrote:
    Try asking a guitarist how to play the guitar in a public forum.How can he prove to you he can play if his only medium is words. Would you challenge him and imply he's a chancer if he couldnt prove that Music exists?
    That's another bad analogy like the computer and apple tart thing. If I ask a guitarist to show me that he can play then it means I am doubting the person's ability. I am not neccessarily doubting the existance of music and even if I am that can easily be proven. If you have a guitar or a taut string, just pluck it and observe the vibrations it makes. The existance of music can be demonstrated.

If I doubt the guitarist's ability he can record it as an mp3 and share it or organise a little performance. The point is he can demonstrate his/her ability on demand. Magic can never be demonstrated on demand which is why we probe the practitioner for more information so we can understand what he/she might be observing.
    zillah wrote:
    As regards the rain stopping incident, how can you be anyway sure it was anything more than coincidence unless you are able to do it repeatidly? If I tried really hard to make it rain now, and it did, I'd be curious. But I wouldnt think I had made it rain unless I was able to do it again and again. If I hadn't tried to make it rain, it would have rained anyway.
    mysteria wrote:
    some very talented people don't develop it. Magickal Energy flows naturally within us anyway, and often manifests in our daily lives (often cunningly disguised as "coincidence" or dismissed as "imagination".

"Every spell is successful to a lesser or greater extent, and a lot of contributory factors can affect the outcome".
    I believe that answers the question. If it rains it means the magic works, there are no coincidences. If it doesn't rain then it's just something went wrong with one of the contributory factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote:
    It is an art but it is also a craft. Craftspeople don't share thier crafting knowledge with just anyone, with other crafters who have some simular experices maybe but not curious passers by.

Thaed i'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not just avoiding the issue, so I'll try to make our point clear. To continue your analogy, we're not asking for the carpenter to bring us into his workshop and show us his techniques, we're not asking that he show us how to use his tools or how to put the finish on a mahogany table. All we're asking is that the carpenter say something along the lines of "I use tools such as a saw, a hammer and nails to work wood into shapes people need, like tables and chairs."

After that we'd have some idea of what it he does. That doesn't mean I can go off and make a table, and it certainly doesn't mean the Carpenters Guild is going to throw him out for giving away trade secrets.
    Zillah the reason that people have a profile on boards.ie is so that you can check them out and learn more information about them. If you were bother to even go to that little effort you would find the links and information about Mysteria what you are looking for as she has provided them there.

Ireland's Psychic Queen? Who wrote the article? I'd still like to see the website for the institute.

Zillah wrote:
    All we're asking is that the carpenter say something along the lines of "I use tools such as a saw, a hammer and nails to work wood into shapes people need, like tables and chairs."

There are many tools that can be used for magical workings,
    stick magical tools into google and you will find lots about them.

The most important tool is oneself.
    With out the will, engery, focus, desire, imagination and intent your just saying words and waving your arms about.
    Zillah wrote:
    After that we'd have some idea of what it he does. That doesn't mean I can go off and make a table, and it certainly doesn't mean the Carpenters Guild is going to throw him out for giving away trade secrets.

Magic is not quiet like that, if you have abilty and the will, engery, focus, desire, imagination and intent and went off and tried you may well get
    more of a result then you would wish for; At least with certaint types of magic.
    That can get pretty hairy to say the least and I would not want to be reponsible for it happening to anyone. There is a reason why there is a learning curve about such things and why you have to learn for yourself and
    choose to do them and have them change your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

*bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*
    *bangs head off wall*

Well that is one way to get into an altered state of conciousness and awareness
    Kernel but really it may not be all that productive and you could hurt yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mysteria wrote:
    I'm making a series of Documentaries about my work, to be aired on the Discovery Channel next year.
    Can you post up a reminder for us when this is going to air, I'd say you'll increase you're ratings by at least 3 or 4 people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I know folks here in the 'paranormal forum' often gather for an ghostly investigation, so is there anyone at all who would like to offer a demonstration to a group of any paranormal or magical powers?

All that would be required would be to agree beforehand what would be demonstrated, and then demonstrate it. Something very simple like esp, telekenesis, dowsing for water/gold etc ....

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

mysteria wrote:
    So can Christians help me ou a lttle here?, when someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, should I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination.
    It depends on how you wish to interpret it. All the references you have given concern the mosiac code of the old testament. There is a better understanding of the fabric of these writings here. They concern the transgresion of "Moral sin" and "ceremonial uncleanliness". Its best to read it to get a fuller understanding.
    as an example of "moral sin" it can be interpreted as
    "The seriousness of this idolatry in Hebrew eyes was compounded by the belief that 'to lie with a man as with a woman' violated the dignity of the male sex. Women were [considered] property but men were the direct image of God. To treat a man the way a woman was treated was to reduce him to property and, thereby, to violate the image of God. The issue was idolatrous activity which failed to acknowledge God's creation."
    and as a reference to ceremonial unclenliness here
    Leviticus 18:3 states: "After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances." Here, God is saying that the Hebrews are not to follow the practices of the Egyptians or of the Canaanites. Homosexual ritual sex in temples of both countries was common. Thus, one might assume that Leviticus 18:22 relates to temple same-sex rituals -- something that was ritually impure.
    However you want to look at it, The new testament, by way of Jesus revelations, contradicted the old law
    Several times Jesus' opponents accused him of condoning ceremonial uncleanliness, as when he allowed his disciples to eat without "washing" their utensils. The concept of the clean and the unclean the holy and the unholy, was based on Mosaic Law (Lev. 10.10). Uncleanliness meant ceremonial or ritual impurity, which became moral impurity if it was done willfully. In the eyes of his critics, Jesus crossed over the line into such moral failure when he defended his disciples' behavior after their ceremonial lapse had been brought to his attention...(snip) Jesus soundly condemned the Pharisees and other experts who made the traditions more important than the spiritual and ethical substance of the Law.
    So, in the old eyes, even Jesus was considered a sinner. He was more interested in Loving one another.I believe thats why they killed him. (right?)
    You could tell your friends that christians follow the teachings of christ through Jesus, and not old testament, which in essence he over ruled. http://www.historicjesus.com/glossary/clean.html

while its not exactly on topic, you did ask the question, hope I've been able to asnwer it for you.

Well I had 80 million viewers on UTV so I suppose 3 or 4 more will really make a difference. Twit!

Zillah the Sunday Mirror Editor calls me that ( which embarrasses me)I've been writing that Holistic/paranormal advice page for 8 years now,you can read it online in encyclopaedias in the states etc. You're NOT an initiate and have NO RIGHT to demand any more information than I am prepared to share so please don't even mention my name again
    END OF!

• Advertisement

PH, why don't you form a "performing monkeys" group and maybe you'll get the Uri geller/David Blaine brigade to co-operate. That is Illusionist Magic, not Esoteric Magick which is what I practise for Healing, helping and advising people.

mysteria wrote:
    Well I had 80 million viewers on UTV so I suppose 3 or 4 more will really make a difference. Twit!
    Sorry, I guess my sense of humour is a little off today (more shopping + mulled wine).

Stevenmu
    Sorry I'm not normally so snappy, but other people on the board have been really annoying me. At first I tried to remain low-profile and genuinely wanted to contribute something useful to discussions.Unfortunately this didn't prove to be the case, luckily I won't have the luxury of time to post as after tomorrow it's all work again. Hope you enjoyed your mulled wine, Have a great Yule and a prosperous 2006.

Mysteria, I have no doubt as to your qualification and experience in these areas, I'm sure you are as aware as I am that with exposure comes vulnerability. I suggest you stand back and regain your composure and to not allow the current misunderstandings negate your position.

As this thread trundles along, amidst the bouncing off walls everybody is doing, I see an oppertunity for some magic. While it may not be recognised or appreciated as such, I would be grateful if everyone could approach these issues with a greater sense of clarity, respect and peace of mind.

So be it

Solas,Many thanks for your wise words, truly you are a "solas" in the darkness (no, not the band).

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Any thoughts on my post Mysteria? Ever considered that what you believe to be true and believe you have witnessed to not be true?

I don't think you can speak for all Christians Solas. I've just had a chance to read what you've written, very interesting reading, but every single Christian I speak to, or read their writings, has a different spin on virtually everything. It's pretty much the same with my Pagan friends, and Muslims, etc. Hard for everyone to agree on theological specifics. By the way, have you read the works of Herodotus and Josephus?They are the only two historians that lived in the time Jesus allegedly lived, and their work is a real revelation.

Hi Cregser, been out and did'nt get a chance to read your post til now. I agree with most of what you say. The power of the mind is unbelievable, and a positive mental attitude is probably the most significant tool we possess in order to improve our quality of life. I'm not lying about making the rain stop, and it wasn't coincidence because I never said I only did it once. I've done it many times, and every single time there were totally skeptical witnesses there.The whole point about Magick (spelled with the k to differentiate from Illusionist Magic) is thats just another path to inner power. Priests, Vicars,Imams,Rabbis, all practice different forms of contemplation, meditation etc as a way of connecting with their deity. I don't believe in external deity, I believe every woman is a Goddess, every man a God, we are all sacred and part of a Universal Positive Energy. I could relate numerous astounding experiments I've carried out over many years in Universities, my living room, someones smoky kitchen, but I would be leaving myself open to the kind of confontation and insults I've already encountered. I'd be a millionaire if I went public about my experiences, and I have very reliable witnesses to back them up. But to what purpose? I've already said I developed and studied these abilities to help others, and my cynical self would really rather be out partying. I've been drawn into this role, I never chose it, before I was a year old my parents knew I was different from other people. Luckily my dad being Indian and a doctor, was familiar with the concept of reincarnation. My mother being pagan helped too. I've studied and got some qualifications, but they seem way more important to others than they are to me.Which is why I don't have a brass plate on my door to proclaim to the world "I went to Uni & passed". But I have the papers to prove it, shoved in a drawer somewhere. Everyone possesses Magickal, Psychic,Healing talents, some more than others but they are natural talents that we unconsciously use every day.

mysteria wrote:
    Stevenmu
    Sorry I'm not normally so snappy, but other people on the board have been really annoying me. At first I tried to remain low-profile and genuinely wanted to contribute something useful to discussions.Unfortunately this didn't prove to be the case, luckily I won't have the luxury of time to post as after tomorrow it's all work again. Hope you enjoyed your mulled wine, Have a great Yule and a prosperous 2006.
    No problems. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the whole site seems really tense these last few days, I've felt like biting off a few heads myself :v:

• Advertisement

mysteria wrote:
    By the way, have you read the works of Herodotus and Josephus?They are the only two historians that lived in the time Jesus allegedly lived, and their work is a real revelation.
    Not in entirety but I have had touched on the subject before. I've looked at it from a variety of angles over the years but I always manage to come back to original understanding.
    Regardless of the disputes arguments or debates put forward from so many perspectives on the topic, there are a few things which remain true to me, there is a lot of knowledge to be gained from books, or from the mouth of others but wisdom stems from experience and I've learned that wisdom is the greater asset, so I try to stick with that. (or at least have a healthy balance of both) I'm sure you can relate.
    stevenmu wrote:
    No problems. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the whole site seems really tense these last few days, I've felt like biting off a few heads myself
    Mysteria might concur that there may be an astrological influence at work. Venus stood still in the skies today as she begins her retrograde phase. As a "heavenly symbol" of our emotional aspect, to astrologers this is considered significant.
    I found a good way to get over it all is to start opening up our christmas gifts early :)

as a bonus though, the new year (astrologically speaking) begins with a new moon, which is auspicious for those looking to make a change and an oppertunity to start afresh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement