Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car you drive? Your age? Etc.....

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Me......

2003 Astra 1.4XE
    Full Licence (since 1992)
    No Points
    Full NCB (since 1991)
    Male 33

Cost (Oct '05): €527 Full Comp
    (incl step-back bonus protection)
    Company: Eagle Star

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Car: 2001 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2l Diesel
    Driving for: 7 years (full license) 5 years as named driver
    Full NCB
    My Age: 25
    Insurance: Fully Comprehensive with Hibernian, €1150

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

sentenel wrote:
    Hi
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup
    5.9LT V8 petrol
    My own Comerical policy
    700 euro Eagle Star full no claims,
    Full licence 15yrs
    39 yrs old,
    2 points :mad:
    cheers
    joe

Do you live near or drive around Durrow/Abbeyleix? I have passsed a blue Dodge Ram with loads of front lights a few times on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

junkyard wrote:
    the car is a 5 litre V8 and according to my broker, who I know well, its a good quote

It is not a good quote. It is a sh!te quote. I dunno what your broker is on about. If you are in your 30s with a very long NCB and full license then a fully comp quote on a second hand E39 M5 should not be over €2k imho

I was quoted just over a grand fully comp on either your second hand E39 M5 5.0 V8 or on the fastest brand new Porsche money can buy - with a tracker fitted and with a €4k excess should I claim

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi Rabies
    Yes i live between Durrow and Abbeyleix and have a Black Ram 1500 and a white Ram 3500 none with loads of lihs though and I know most if not all :o of the American trucks and Cars around and don't know of a blue ram around here ;) . There is a blue Nissian thing :eek: with lots of lights on it around Durrow ?????
    cheers
    joe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I agree that that quote is way too high..

Earlier this year I got a quote on a 02 M3 and it was 3,700 but there's a big difference...

I'm 23, have a full licence 4 and a bit years and at the time, a 4 years NCB. Now I *know* the M5 is a different car again but surely if at 23 I can get a quote like that on an M3 then a man of nearly 40 (sorry!!) should be able to get something cheaper again!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 molloy86

Car: Nissan Micra
    Year: 1990
    Engine: 1 Litre
    Insurnace: Currently €2,000 (goddamn car cost me €200!), and that's with NO points. Hibernian are assholes.
    Full licence, got it over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

molloy86 wrote:
    Insurnace: Currently €2,000 (goddamn car cost me €200!)
    You will be quoted slightly more for an older car. Buy yourself a car that less than 10 years old, max, and you'll save some cash.

For example, my current car is a '00 Peugeot 206 LX 1124cc.
    Quick quote on Quinn gives me €1485.45 TPF&T

Closest equivalent was a 1990 Peug 205 "Look" 1124cc
    Same quote engine, otherwise identical details: €1850.51 TPF&T

That's an increase of nearly 25% simply because the car is older.

Make up a fictitious 1L Micra (or put your eye on one) that's 1996 or 1997, ring Hibernian and ask them what your premium would be if you bought it. You could save yourself some cash both in insurance and in repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Not driving @ the moment but in a few weeks

Car:
    03 Peugeot 206 1.4
    Quinn quote is €2200 TPFT for me and €1700 named, fully comp, and with open driving.
    Licience
    2nd Prov.

Driving a car for a yr and a bike for 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

seamus wrote:
    For example, my current car is a '00 Peugeot 206 LX 1124cc.
    Quick quote on Quinn gives me €1485.45 TPF&T

Closest equivalent was a 1990 Peug 205 "Look" 1124cc
    Same quote engine, otherwise identical details: €1850.51 TPF&T

That's an increase of nearly 25% simply because the car is older....

Thats a complete different model car with a decades worth of safety and anti theft improvements (you'd assume). Not really the same at all. Especially since leaning on a 205 would dent a panel its that light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

Car: Audi A4 1.8T UltraSport 2003
    Age 26

Quinn Direct 1300 comprehensive with 4 years no claims
    Driving license 9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

sentenel wrote:
    Hi Rabies
    Yes i live between Durrow and Abbeyleix and have a Black Ram 1500 and a white Ram 3500 none with loads of lihs though and I know most if not all :o of the American trucks and Cars around and don't know of a blue ram around here ;) . There is a blue Nissian thing :eek: with lots of lights on it around Durrow ?????
    cheers
    joe

I spotted a blue Dodge Ram in Newbridge today - though it still has New York plates (i.e. recent import?).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

car: Rover 216 SI
    5 door
    1.6L
    insurance 1500 around..tpf&t
    ladys plus, royal and sun alliance
    provisional license 1 1/2 yrs
    1 1/2 yrs ncb
    no points

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sparky-s wrote:
    Not driving @ the moment but in a few weeks

Car:
    03 Peugeot 206 1.4
    Quinn quote is €2200 TPFT for me and €1700 named, fully comp, and with open driving.
    Licience
    2nd Prov.

Driving a car for a yr and a bike for 2

just an update on my previous post.

It seems Quinn made a nice messup on my quote and thought i was talking about a peugeot partner van and quoted me €2200 TPFT for it.
    But this is the car/van im using

so quinns answer was that oh its a car so we cant insure it under a comercial policy, so i got my dad to ring as he has a policy with them and the best he got out of them was €3400.

So now for me its a

02 Peugeot 1.4 HDi car/van
    Insurance Quinn direct €3400 (we have yet to confirm we are going ahead with this, may ring tuesday to see, my dad reckons it was that Friday the 13th thing :D)
    2nd Provisional
    Age 19

On the next call, ill mention the fact that the car has an immobiliser and full alarm. Hopefully this might reduce the cost.

Maybe the fact that your 19 and on your 2nd provisional licence meaning you've already failed the driving test once has something to do with. Pass your test and it should drop a good bit. Also maybe try AXA or Hibernian alot people seem to be saying Quinn Direct are far from the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Cucullan wrote:
    Maybe the fact that your 19 and on your 2nd provisional licence meaning you've already failed the driving test once has something to do with. Pass your test and it should drop a good bit. Also maybe try AXA or Hibernian alot people seem to be saying Quinn Direct are far from the cheapest.

It doesn't mean he's failed his test, 3rd provisional means you have failed, or are waiting for your test

My mistake but he's still had his licence for over 2 years and could have his test done if he wanted to. All i'm saying is he'd be better off if he went and passed his test only then will he get a reasonalbe quote.

Advertisement