Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is my computer worth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I suspect the answer is €0 but would appreciate your thoughts on whether this laptop can be sold, should be donated to some charity/Coder Dojo type organistion or just recycled.

Old-Laptop1474735049.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I suspect the answer is €0 but would appreciate your thoughts on whether this laptop can be sold, should be donated to some charity/Coder Dojo type organistion or just recycled.

Old-Laptop1474735049.png

Search adverts for the processor model number and check sold listings to get an idea of price you might sell it for. It will be worth something to somebody.

Alternatively you could repurposed as a media player connected to the TV, should be more than capable of that. I have done that with an old machine (older than this) running windows 7 and kodi and use it for watching films, TV shows etc.

Or potentially give it away to friend/family who might need it for the basics, word internet, Skype etc. I did that with an old laptop, replaced the hard drive with an SSD (€40) and its perfect for those purposes, it flies. It would have been a lower powered one than the one you list

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Search adverts for the processor model number and check sold listings to get an idea of price you might sell it for. It will be worth something to somebody.
    Wow!! €200 apparently - http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/bargain-i5-dell-laptop-e4310-windows-7-with-microsoft-office-lifetime-antivirus-great-keyboard-webcam/11403888

Mine is virtually an identical machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely not worth nothing, the average sale price of laptops like that on Ebay is around €150. Still a perfectly capable laptop really for general use, the suggestion above of adding an SSD is a good one and will make it fly.

People often complain about their laptop 'being slow', but in most cases it's the hard drive, not the core laptop itself.

Definitely not worth nothing, the average sale price of laptops like that on Ebay is around €150. Still a perfectly capable laptop really for general use, the suggestion above of adding an SSD is a good one and will make it fly.

People often complain about their laptop 'being slow', but in most cases it's the hard drive, not the core laptop itself.

Yeah, it is indeed very "slow" both in terms of start up and launching applications but once it's up and running it does tip along nicely, I guess that's partly because there's 8GB RAM which is being used to cache everything?? (Not even sure 8GB RAM is even effective. I thought I read somewhere a max of 4GB is actually used by Windows.)

So, I'm now thinking that what I should do is take your advice and stick an SSD into it which would run the OS and key applications with the 320GB HDD basically just storage for documents, media content etc.

For €50 this looks like it could be worth a punt - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474813707&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd

Is the process fairly straightforward? I assume there's a slot in the chassis where the SSD could go or would it be a case of replacing the existing HDD with the SSD? If it is the latter a 120GB SSD would be fine on a backup laptop like this but how would I transfer the OS from the existing HDD to the SSD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yeah, it is indeed very "slow" both in terms of start up and launching applications but once it's up and running it does tip along nicely, I guess that's partly because there's 8GB RAM which is being used to cache everything?? (Not even sure 8GB RAM is even effective. I thought I read somewhere a max of 4GB is actually used by Windows.)
    The pic above only shows 4GB. Anyway there is a 64 bit OS installed, so that can effectively use MUCH more than 4GB.
    So, I'm now thinking that what I should do is take your advice and stick an SSD into it which would run the OS and key applications with the 320GB HDD basically just storage for documents, media content etc.

For €50 this looks like it could be worth a punt - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474813707&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd

Is the process fairly straightforward? I assume there's a slot in the chassis where the SSD could go or would it be a case of replacing the existing HDD with the SSD? If it is the latter a 120GB SSD would be fine on a backup laptop like this but how would I transfer the OS from the existing HDD to the SSD?
    You can get a cloning kit pretty cheap, where you connect the SSD by a cable to a USB port. Clone the HDD to the SSD. Then open up the case and swap out the HDD with the SSD, close the case and realise you've got a stonking little laptop on your hands. :D

I did it to my OH's Win8.1 laptop recently and I have not heard a single complaint from her since. It's pure bliss. :P

You can get a cloning kit pretty cheap, where you connect the SSD by a cable to a USB port. Clone the HDD to the SSD. Then open up the case and swap out the HDD with the SSD, close the case and realise you've got a stonking little laptop on your hands. :D

I did it to my OH's Win8.1 laptop recently and I have not heard a single complaint from her since. It's pure bliss. :P

Kingston do a cloning kit which includes a 120GB SSD for £49 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SSDNow-Desktop-Notebook-Upgrade/dp/B01FRP254G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

That the sort of thing you were referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Kingston do a cloning kit which includes a 120GB SSD for £49 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SSDNow-Desktop-Notebook-Upgrade/dp/B01FRP254G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

That the sort of thing you were referring to?

Yep - that'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Realistically, how much could I get for my PC?

CPU: i5 4690k overclocked to 4.6 (stock 3.5 GHz)
    Cooler: Corsair H100i
    RAM: HyperX 16GB 1600 Mhz CL9 DDR3 (2x 8GB)
    Mob: Gigabyte Z97P-D3
    GPU: ASUS GTX 970
    Storage: 1TB HDD WD Black.
    SSD's: 256GB and 2x 128GB.
    PSU: OCZ 750W Gold Rating.
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB.
    Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 Fade Edition.
    Headset: HyperX Cloud 2.
    Monitor: Benq xl2411Z (144hz)
    Monitor 2: Generic BenQ 17.5" (60hz)
    Monitor 3: Generic ViewSonic 19" (60hz)
    Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed.

Really want to sell this setup and start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any particular reason? The 970 is the only thing worth upgrading and even then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Any particular reason? The 970 is the only thing worth upgrading and even then?

Just want a fresh build.
    Just moved into new house and would love to do overhaul of my setup, perhaps go for mini ATX build.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I have a MacBook Pro that died yesterday and no longer powers on. It took a glass of wine a couple of months ago and after being cleaned up worked for a bit. AASP told me there was corrosion to top case, logic board and display.

It is: Apple MacBook Pro Core i5 8GB 128GB SSD 13 inch Retina Display - MGX72B/A

Most recycling/2nd hand sites are telling me it's worth diddly squat because of the condition. Could I sell it for breaking/parts and what might be a fair/realistic price?

Should be able to get an OK amount for parts, at a basic level the charger, ram, SSD, processor (if its removable), screen, body would all get decent prices. I'd say throw it up on Adverts. Definitely worth a lot more than 'diddly squat'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any ideas on what I could get for this laptop?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZU55Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung Series 7 Chronos

Intel Core i7 2675QM 2.2GHz
    8GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6750
    15.6" 1600x900 matte screen
    The bezels around the screen are quite small so it's small for a 15" laptop.

So... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Should be able to get an OK amount for parts, at a basic level the charger, ram, SSD, processor (if its removable), screen, body would all get decent prices. I'd say throw it up on Adverts. Definitely worth a lot more than 'diddly squat'.

Thanks, will chuck it on Adverts so and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thanks, will chuck it on Adverts so and see what happens.

Swap my adds ;)

So... any ideas?

I recently sold a pretty similar laptop for 340. Would have been a bit bulkier definitely, but had a newer i7 (3rd gen), SSD and a GT635M which would be similar to that HD6750M.

I'd say throw it up for 400 and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Any ideas what the following is worth and what I could ask for it?

i5-2500k
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
    Asus P8P67 LE
    16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240 1GB GDDR5
    1TB Samsung HDD103SJ

Could throw in a mutilated case and a noisy PSU to make it a complete system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

I am looking at selling my current PC and I was just wondering how much should I put it up for?

Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor

Case: Corsair 500r (White)

16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9

ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7

RAIJINTEK Aidos Heat pipe

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA

Corsair Carbide 500R Micro ATX Midi Tower €100

Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 4x3.30GHz So1150 Box Haswell

MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G graphics card - Radeon R9 270X - 2 GB

Thanks,

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at selling my current PC and I was just wondering how much should I put it up for?

Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor

Case: Corsair 500r (White)

16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9

ASRock H87 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7

RAIJINTEK Aidos Heat pipe

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA

Corsair Carbide 500R Micro ATX Midi Tower €100

Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 4x3.30GHz So1150 Box Haswell

MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G graphics card - Radeon R9 270X - 2 GB

Thanks,

BobbyT28

Anyone??

• Advertisement

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Anyone??

About 700-800 at a quick glance. If sold as a gaming machine, about 500 as the GPU isn't great and can be beaten by cheaper self builds. Worth more as a video editing machine, I'd list it as that and make sure to mention the Xeon = i7

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What is this second hand PC worth IYO?

A) if it was fully functioning
    B) current state.

For sale faulty PC. Doesn't power on.

Mother board asks p6t deluxe v2
    Intel i7 920
    Memory ddr3 3x 2gb triple Chanel
    Power supply chieftec 850w
    Graphic card asus 460se probably 2gb ddr3
    No hdd.

Ps
    Its not mine, The owner wants 220 euro for it.

Knowing the problem might be useful but it's probably worth not worth 220 given something in it is broken.

i7 and mb about 100
    20 for the ram
    30 for gpu
    50 for PSU

So 200 as sum of parts, I'd take 120 if I wasn't arsed diagnosing the problem given the buyer will be paying at least €40 on top to fix it as it's probably CPU, PSU or MB

Yeah, worth very little. Hard to value as parts without knowing what's wrong with it. The motherboard is hands down the valuable part, after that, possibly PSU.

i7-920 worth around 25 euro, the ram 15-20, GTX460 around 20, PSU hard to say without model but probably around 20-40 model dependent. If the board actually works and the issue is with something else (but I'd say it's probably the MB), it would be worth 50-60.

220 for it, in its faulty state with no HDD, is way too much. It's ancient hardware at this stage. I think DS is right, 100-120 in it's non-functioning state is reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I already advertised this pc, but I reckon I over-valued it initially.
    Any hints on realistic value for this ?

Alienware Area 51 - X58 Tower Case - Gloss Black/Silver.
    Motherboard: ASUS P6T DeLuxe
    CPU : Intel Core i7-940 2.93 , 8MB.
    Memory : Elpida 6 GB DDR3 1067MHz PC3-8500F
    Graphics Card :
    EVGA Corp. GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) DirectX 11 1.5 Gig GDDR5
    2 DVI + 1 HDMI o/p
    Hard Drive: Seagate SATA 1 TB
    LG 20X Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Passive LED controller (set colour with DIP switch)
    Sound: Integrated on Asus P6T
    Power Supply 750 W
    No monitor or keyboard/mouse included.

Probably about €300 to my standards, I'm not overly familiar with old hardware so may be off

It would still be pretty OK if it had a newer graphics card, the i7 would still hold up broadly fairly well in the latest games, the GTX580 is, while still capable of playing all the latest games, by modern standards only as fast as a €100 brand new card - and twice the size, twice as power hungry, etc. I'd say in it's current config and the fact that it is an Alienware, what you'd probably get for it would be around 400, which I'd take. The main problem really is that the entire machine is just really old and outdated with almost no upgrade potential, rather than it's performance right this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Hi guys - I'm looking to see how much this machine is worth. I was mainly using this as a media server and a software development machine as the case can hold quite a few HDDs. I'm keeping the HDDs, which is why I haven't listed any along with the rest of the specs.

Built end of 2013 (GPU in 2014)

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Series Micro ATX Case - Black Pearl
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz turbo)
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard
    RAM: 16GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
    PSU: Cooler Master 620W 12V Silent Pro M2 620 Power Supply Unit
    SSD: 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 (SATA III)
    DVD: LiteOn DVD-Rewriter (ATAPI iHAS124)
    OS: I was running Linux on it, but I do have a legit Windows 7 key kicking around. I believe its free to upgrade to Win10.

I also have two 24 inch dell monitors (1920x1200) on a twin arm monitor stand. I'm not sure if I'll include these in the sale or try to sell separately as of yet.

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leo.wanderlust

Hi guys. Looking to know how much would you pay for this:

Dell Precision T7610
    Dual Intel Xeon E5-2609 Quad Core @ 2.40GHz
    Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB
    2x 450GB 15K SAS Hard Drive
    2x 2000GB 7.2K SATA Hard Drive
    128GB 12800R DDR3 (16x8GB)
    DVD SATA Optical Drive
    Onboard Sound
    Win 7 Pro 64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Strainseir

Selling three computers from my dad's office for him. Here's one of them, how much would you pay for this or should I look to get for it?

Specs:
    Dell Precision T1700
    Intel Core i5-4690 Quad Core @ 3.50GHz
    AMD FirePro W4100 2GB (4 DP)(4 mDP-DP adaptors)
    128GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
    8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3
    DVD drive
    Internal Speakers
    Win 7 Pro 64 (Win 8.1 License, Media)

The second computer looks the same but with dual AMD FirePros
    Also some 24" Dell U2414H monitors.

Advertisement