Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ronnieboy

[hi tony im also from east wall and its still a kip. ive moved away also do you no me my name is <SNIP> and im from <SNIP> gardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ronnieboy

i was born in east wall and i am glad i grew up there. ive learned to take no crap. ron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

A man was shot dead outside his home last night by a gunman as young as 15 after he confronted a group who had been tormenting him.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/teen-gunman-shoots-man-dead-outside-his-home-1566878.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

arrested a 13 year old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Judging from the addresses of where the incident happened and where some people on this thread have bought apts/houses, i think one or two here might even know the victim and/or perpetrator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Táck wrote: »
    arrested a 13 year old...

How the hell does a thirteen year old get a gun. Unbelievable. Used to live in East Wall, never seemed that dangerous. Eggs I would expect, guns in the hands of 13-year-olds, I would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭notjim

I used to live in the East Wall and liked everything about it except the difficulties caused by some groups of kids; rallying cars, throwing stones, shouting abuse. I chased some kids once who broke a window of the house and ended up arguing with them, one said that I was lucky his brother wasn't with them since he had a gun and would shot me. I didn't take that seriously at the time, though I didn't get far giving out about my window. I can't help but think about that now.

The poor man, terrible for him and his family and friends and for the people in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Little pricks..the only thing they understand is a good hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thaleus_

I wasn't at home last night but I it's a end of terrace on Shelmalier so it's one of two houses within a couple of yards from my home. It's totally tragic for his family and it could have been me or a neighbour of mine on Shelmalier.

The anti-social behaviour of locals from the community (and they are NOT outsiders as is so often peddled) has got to be tackled by all of us as this is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

Jesus that's scary, just moved in around the corner from where that shooting happened last night; I always said about the spate of recent shootings in Dublin that it's between rival gangs, etc and that "civilians" aren't usually affected, bar being in the wrong place at the wrong time -

This, though, is just crazy; you could look at someone the wrong way and lose your life in seconds flat... teenagers that hang around in gangs around East wall can be intimidating, but I always thought they were harmless really; just trying to impress their mates; this puts a different complexoin on things if they're using guns to impress....

Realy hope it's an isolated incident, and that the community comes together- old residents and new- to make it clear that it's not going to continue..

PS my thoughts are with the man's family; I read that he lived with his son on Shelamier Rd. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember a very similar incident on church road about ten years ago. Two brothers chased a gang of teenagers from their house which the teenagers were vandalising and they got badly beaten up.

Shocking stuff, terrible for the community. Looks like parents will have to start caring about what their little angels are at at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember a very similar incident on church road about ten years ago. Two brothers chased a gang of teenagers from their house which the teenagers were vandalising and they got badly beaten up.

Shocking stuff, terrible for the community. Looks like parents will have to start caring about what their little angels are at at night.

You might be talking about the incident, something similiar when a guy was stabbed through the heart on Caledon Rd with a poker from a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Scallop

I live there myself and see the SAME youths involved in every incident mentioned here. I myself have been a victim of there taunts and stone throwing

Something needs to be done to rid them from the chinese and the area. They are instilling fear into people, terrorizing them and now this MURDER.
    That poor man and his family.

If nothing is done..Whats next.
    There are roughly 5 of them that are the rotten core of the youths that are involved.

The garda told me they have had them up in court several times but the judge said on one of the occasions...get this...the parents of this child cannot afford a proper dinner for him and this is where the child eats (the chinese). So in effect the child (youth) can continue to hang around the shop. The case was struck out. It seems the garda cant do anything about it.
    These kids are rabid animals.

Dont people think its time to do something other than hiding behind their net curtains waiting for the next batch of eggs to hit their house???

Scallop wrote: »
    I live there myself and see the SAME youths involved in every incident mentioned here. I myself have been a victim of there taunts and stone throwing

Something needs to be done to rid them from the chinese and the area. They are instilling fear into people, terrorizing them and now this MURDER.

There are roughly 5 of them that are the rotten core of the youths that are involved.

The garda told me they have had them up in court several times but the judge said on one of the occasions...get this...the parents of this child cannot afford a proper dinner for him and this is where the child eats (the chinese). So in effect the child (youth) can continue to hang around the shop. The case was struck out. It seems the garda cant do anything about it.

Dont people think its time to do something other than hiding behind their net curtains waiting for the next batch of eggs to hit their house???

Run the ****ers out of the area.They did it often enough with drug dealers and it should be the same with these scumbags.Anybody spoken to SF about them?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

My earliest memory is when I was 2 and a half (1972)standing outside the corner shop that was midway down West road eating a curlywurly and looking across the road at a gang of bootboys lighting a bonfire against the railway wall. Then being ushered into our house (which was next door to the shop) as a hail of stones came flying over. We moved house shotly after. The place hasn't recently gone mad...it just hasn't changed much. Pity as it's a cracking area with good people.
    It always struck me as a place that goes along...quiet, quiet, quiet...MAD EVENT!, quiet, quiet, quiet.

I love the area so much but its time, otherwise they will walk over everyone there with **** covered runners.

When the racist attacks happened a while back. THe family had to move out around 11pm that evening. 6 or so taxis for their worldy goods came while garda kept it safe for them. All there gear was taken from the house and they were gone.

THe kids that terrorized the family were laughing at the garda and everyone else earlier that day.
    They dont care.

Theres far too much apathy and people sitting on their hands nowadays.

The racist attack and running out of that family was a particularly shameful episode in East Wall, or so I thought until this murder. Since then I've witnessed racist taunts on Shelmalier Road and started receiving minor verbal abuse from the lads that hang around outside a house on Caledon Road (terraces nearest East Road junction).

I take what you say about sitting behind the net curtains but it's the Gardai that need to taking responsibility for this. I'm heading home and if there's a community meeting I'll be attending and do my bit to pressurise all guards and politicians.

Can you tell me where the community meetings are held?
    I would like to attend.

As my previous post mentioned re the Garda bringing them to court. Its the age these kids are at which is making it difficult for the Garda (and judges that havent a notion of whats really going on) to do anything on a long term basis

Irish times ealrier:
    Sinn Féin Dublin City councillor Christy Burke said East Wall residents have been "crying out" for action in recent months as the area slid further out of control”.

“People on the street will tell you that youngsters in the area are regularly carrying guns with them. We cannot allow such a situation to continue. We need action,” he said. He called for a “robust” Garda response, including increased patrols and the strategic use of CCTV in flashpoint areas.

I've been absent for a while but my pal on Shelmalier was at the last couple of meetings -- I'd say there'll probably be some movement when you go home -- perhaps a leaflet drop or go to the centra and see if there's anything on the noticeboard or just call into the neighbours to find out.

If I hear anything specific I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Thaleus_ wrote: »
    The racist attack and running out of that family was a particularly shameful episode in East Wall, or so I thought until this murder. Since then I've witnessed racist taunts on Shelmalier Road and started receiving minor verbal abuse from the lads that hang around outside a house on Caledon Road (terraces nearest East Road junction).

I take what you say about sitting behind the net curtains but it's the Gardai that need to taking responsibility for this. I'm heading home and if there's a community meeting I'll be attending and do my bit to pressurise all guards and politicians.

I too have been subject to some abuse from those lads. Beforehand it just seemed like idle chat, a bit of slagging etc. Just last week their tone appeared to change. One of them stood up to me and I was taken aback at first but now I realise how lucky I was to have laughed it off. I feel appalled at what has happened to that poor man and I feel so sorry for his family.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Pity as it's a cracking area with good people.

I've actually never seen a community spirit like it anywhere else.

You know the sad thing about Eastwall, there's ONE family and its friends who are responsible for the vast majority of social problems in the area.

Of course I won't name them here, but anyone from Eastwall will know who I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berama

Scallop wrote: »

If they're so poor and undernourished maybe they could eat some of those eggs instead of throwing them
    What's all this about a Polish family - what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

Enjoy livin in da ghetto Earthworm Jim!! Somehow a gated community sounds quite comfortable!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The community there should protest or something to show their anger at the scummers families.
    They should unite in the open and show no fear, there is weight in numbers to say we're taking no more crap.

Degsy wrote: »

That poor lad Tony, he's a harmless git. Love's Liverpool and Elvis, I'm not sure what his handicap is exactly. Years ago he'd have been described as ''a little slow''.

But he's a lovely bloke, lives with his elderly dad and in the last few years his life has been made hell by the same shower of **** stains we're all talking about here.

To think, the person who posted that on youtube went out of his way to goad Tony into doing this just so he (the scumbag youtube poster) could get cheap kicks.

Absolute bastards. They'll put Tony and his Dad into early graves too.

Thanks for digging that up Degsy, but my blood is boiling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Tony and all his badges. Can't believe someone videoed himself taunting and jeering a special needs person who is obviously scared.

His full name is on the comment's of the youtube clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Mairt wrote: »
    That poor lad Tony, he's a harmless git. Love's Liverpool and Elvis, I'm not sure what his handicap is exactly.

probably close to scratch judging by the quality of that swing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I know that guy who was shot and he was one of the nicest chaps you could ever meet, he was into fixing up bikes and cars, even worked on all the young lads mopeds and scramblers for free, he and his son never bothered anyone, but some lads(kids) were acting the bollox messing with his cars and he stood up to them, not totaly sure what went down but it seems he was shot by a young teen, probably 13yr old, now where are 13yr olds getting hand guns? they ain't getting them in lucky bags! There seems to be a free for all on access to handguns at the moment and everywhere not just the innercity..

Plus this place is on lock down at the moment, must be 20 armed response vehicals plus lots of gaurds on patrol, yet 13-16yr olds are allowed hang round and cause mayhem.. I agree that this has gotten worse and is mainly caused by drugs and drug dealers.. the guns are comming from somewhere!

And that TONY clip is disgraceful and should be reported to utube, tony and his eldery father had trouble before and it was dealt with, it won't be happening again!

At the moment there are a few different groups working with in the community, there are meetings and drop in centres in the youth centre at strangfort place(lane beside post office) plus a youth centre in the playground on russel avenue(based for the younger kids) anyone from the area should know of the new community centre whhich will be open early next yr, there is also meetings for the eldery in both the credit union and teeling way.. there are lots of actions being taken to twart anti social behaviour and inprove the overall area, including some of the new "gated communities" and new developements, a handfull of youths have cause havok and this is and will be dealt with at some stage, maybe sooner than later after the sad events of last night ( my sympathies go out to the family and you can bet they will have plenty of support from the community)

If people really care about getting involved in this community, the best thing to is attend all "docklands DDDA meeting" and voice your anger opinions and ideas, i attend these and 20 people turn up mainly eldery residents, more people would help and the guards and the community of north wall have a policing board and regular meetings were opinions are voiced and listened to.

There are local TDs too, Christ Burke(SF) Cryprian Brady(FF) Joe/emer Costelo(labour) People need to stand up and be counted. I can see some sort of action being taken but what I don't know, some of these kids do actualy come from good families, its just gone crazy everywhere with the drug culture of some of the youths and adults alike, its happening everywhere.

Also a lot of people blame the parents, which can have a some factor on how there children behave, but some kids from good families do just go off the rails no matter what good parents do, plus this sensless murder was committed by teens on a sunday night which ain't exactly anti social hrs, how could a parent know their 13yr child could be armed and going to commit such a crime? especialy at that time of the day in broad daylight in front of loads of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Clarity_Process

This latest killing is shocking, its getting serious if 13 year olds are able to freely get hold of firearms, whether they are legally or illegally held.

Christy Burke is a Sinn Féin city councillor I think. He has a clinic down in Fassaugh Avenue in Cabra and the Larkin Centre in Sean MacDermott Street on Tuesdays.

Advertisement