Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Im from donaghmede did you go the donahies by any chance ????

And wear one of those german coats ????

Nah.
    I went to school in town and wore a motorbike jacket.,,back in the early 1990's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

yogi16 wrote: »
    Been living in the lighthouse apts for 8 months now........moving out in one week. Sick of my car getting broken into, neighbours having their apt doors kicked in and houses robbed (mine hasnt been robbed yet but i'm sure its only a matter of time), scumbags everywhere you look. just not for me. Now this is my own personal experience and i'm sure its different for everyone.

just my 2 cents.

sad to hear this. do u mind me asking what block and what floor the houses that were broken into are on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MaryD3

Scallop wrote: »
    I live there myself and see the SAME youths involved in every incident mentioned here.

Just in relation to this. There is alot of anti-social behaviour going on in the area!!! I have lived in eastwall all my life so i know alot of the families from the area... and can tell you that the people that are responsible for MOST of the things that are happening in eastwall are not even from the area.. Also there are lot of people in eastwall that are quick to point the finger and quick to judge other familes which makes me laugh because its these people who have nieces, nephews, grandchildren and so on living in the area so how can they call someone else's child a scumbag cos they dont know what their own does be getting up to!!! Yes there are alot of youths hanging around the streets but what else is there for them to do????? there is a youth club in the area which is used as a drop in centre where youths can go down and sit. but this isnt open all the time which is radiculous as after all it is a YOUTH CLUB.!!! these kids need to be occupied and be giving the chance to make something of themselves instead of people looking down on them all the time!!! theres enough funding been put into the community so why cant some of this be used for the children of eastwall??? people just focus on the negativity all the time instead of been positive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

MaryD3 wrote: »
    Scallop wrote: »
    I live there myself and see the SAME youths involved in every incident mentioned here.

Just in relation to this. There is alot of anti-social behaviour going on in the area!!! I have lived in eastwall all my life so i know alot of the families from the area... and can tell you that the people that are responsible for MOST of the things that are happening in eastwall are not even from the area.. Also there are lot of people in eastwall that are quick to point the finger and quick to judge other familes which makes me laugh because its these people who have nieces, nephews, grandchildren and so on living in the area so how can they call someone else's child a scumbag cos they dont know what their own does be getting up to!!! Yes there are alot of youths hanging around the streets but what else is there for them to do????? there is a youth club in the area which is used as a drop in centre where youths can go down and sit. but this isnt open all the time which is radiculous as after all it is a YOUTH CLUB.!!! these kids need to be occupied and be giving the chance to make something of themselves instead of people looking down on them all the time!!! theres enough funding been put into the community so why cant some of this be used for the children of eastwall??? people just focus on the negativity all the time instead of been positive..

There is a problem when youth clubs etc are left closed, especialy at the times youths would need some where to go, rather than hanging round street corners? Granted that the new community centre will be fully open in the next few weeks but that too will more than likely be closed to most of the youth, though I know the all-weather pitch is being fully utilised by the young football teams, I can't comment on what else it will offer the youths as its not up and running, and nothing has been mentioned as to its benefit to the younger residents as of yet........

On a similar note, I only just heard from a community worker (voluntary) involved with the bike track on the Alfie Byrne road... This has been around for yrs and set up by the locals as an amenity for the youth (from all parts of Dublin)... It was there before the dart station, east point and all of the new developments, in fact the place was a dump (full of medical waste??) till some of the locals utilized it for off-road biking and they also used the nearby waterways for jet skis, all this is supervised by responsible Adults on a voluntary basis... Now since they place is being developed or "regenerated" the Jet Ski’s have been banned and now I hear that the motocross track might be stopped and closed to the youth?? Due to an environmental impact statement needed because of objections? And this isn’t East Wall residents objecting, it’s the residents of a neighbouring area?

Now put yourself in one of these kids places, they hear the "regeneration of the area" and all the buzz words, yet they have youth clubs that don't open when they are most needed, and local amenities like the bike track under treat of closure.. And then if they hang around corners, they are anti social? Where else are they to go if we ain't offering an alternative?

Another stupid thing I think is that new statue of what looks like a guy pee-ing on the quays, that’s going to cost 1.6 million but what benefit will that be to any resident of the docklands? The money for that is for regeneration of the docklands, sure if they had have left a couple of the old gantry cranes on the quays it would have been a more fitting sculpture for what was once the busy industrial part of the city?? And then they could have spent the 1.6million on facilities for the elderly, youth and everyone from the area rather than a statue that looks ridiculas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know the bike track on Alfie Byrne Rd and I spent a few minutes trying to figure out who could object.
    Houses to the south on East Wall Rd and north on the Coast Rd are still a couple of hundreds metres away and I doubt you can hear the bikes from there. Sure you can't even see the bikes from the road and unless you're walking or cycling past you won't hear them

I do know there was some building going up last time I was there across the road from the football pitch.
    So I'm wondering did residents move into an apartment block across the road and then start objecting to the bikes that they there long before them? :rolleyes:

I've spent a lot of time jogging on the pitch and realy, there were more kids with mountain bikes on the track then those with motocross bikes. So realy not much noise at all.
    Tbh, it isn't much of a track at all and more of a muddy field. Surely it wouldn't cost much to develop it and improve it. DCC have wasted more money on far less worthy projects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

These anti-social children are not coming about due to lack of youth centres, they become antisocial because their parents are doing a horrible job. They know they can get away with it so they do. It isn't just East Wall, it's everywhere

mikemac wrote: »
    I know the bike track on Alfie Byrne Rd and I spent a few minutes trying to figure out who could object.
    Houses to the south on East Wall Rd and north on the Coast Rd are still a couple of hundreds metres away and I doubt you can hear the bikes from there.

I do know there was some building going up last time I was there across the road from the football pitch.
    So I'm wondering did residents move into an apartment block across the road and then start objecting to the bikes across the road? :rolleyes:

I've spent a lot of time jogging on the pitch and realy, there were more kids with mountain bikes on the track then those with motocross bikes. So realy not much noise at all.

Tbh, it isn't much of a track at all and more of a muddy field. Surely it wouldn't cost much to develop it and improve it. DCC have wasted more money on far less worthy projects

Its actualy Clontarf residents that are objecting to the bike track?? And that track was built be the locals, using a JCB and manual labour by the locals including the kids(all voluntary) - It is used mainly by about 10 - 20 local kids and probably around the same number from other areas.. It has never caused any hassle at all, and it gives the kids a safer more enjoyable place to go, rather then hanging round the streets.. I has been improved lately by the locals again, and it has a commitee and responsible adults to run/look after it. this costs the state NOTHING.. Though now it seems to be an "enviromental issue"

They have a plan to improve the track more, including buying some beginer bikes for the youth who can't afford their own, plus some more improvements to the track, all paid for by locals, though now they can't because of red tape and objections? What message is that sending the kids, they are basicaly being forgoten about in this case?

These anti-social children are not coming about due to lack of youth centres, they become antisocial because their parents are doing a horrible job. They know they can get away with it so they do. It isn't just East Wall, it's everywhere

The children using the bike track aren't anti-social.. they are kids using a local amenity while supervised by responsible adults, point I was making was with all the regeneration going on in an area, the GOOD kids are forgoten about and losing the likes of the bike track won't help improving the anti-social aspect to an area, it will only add to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Clontarf Residents in objecting shocker :eek:;)

I pretty suprised you posted that as the coast road is easily at least 400 metres from the track.
    The bikes can't be seen or heard and they still object??
    Sure their kids can use the track too, it's a facilty albeit a track that could do with some improvement from it's present poor condition.

I realy don't know the story on this one.
    I've read many pages of posters wanting to crackdown on anti-social behaviour and I'd largely agree with most of it. I'm don't buy the theory that kids from certain areas are destined for crime. Life is about choices and tbh, it's the parents I blame in cases like this, they mostly don't care where their kids are hanging around late at night.

This is one decent facility completly out of the way of any residents that occupies people for hours and at no cost and people still object. For shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

The children using the bike track aren't anti-social.. they are kids using a local amenity while supervised by responsible adults, point I was making was with all the regeneration going on in an area, the GOOD kids are forgoten about and losing the likes of the bike track won't help improving the anti-social aspect to an area, it will only add to it?

I know nothing about a bike track... I was talking merely about the antisocial wastes of skin.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Clontarf Residents in objecting shocker :eek:;)

I pretty suprised you posted that as the coast road is easily at least 400 metres from the track.
    The bikes can't be seen or heard and they still object??
    Sure their kids can use the track too, it's a facilty albeit a track that could do with some improvement from it's present poor condition.

Yes the objections mainly came from Clontarf??? And the track is/was being improved but this has now being put on hold because of the unsure future of the track...

I realy don't know the story on this one.
    I've read many pages of posters wanting to crackdown on anti-social behaviour and I'd largely agree with most of it. I'm don't buy the theory that kids from certain areas are destined for crime. Life is about choices and tbh, it's the parents I blame in cases like this, they mostly don't care where their kids are hanging around late at night.

Most parents I know in the area know where their kids are at night, though I admit some couldn't give a damn where they are or what they are up to, but this is a problem everywhere??

This is one decent facility completly out of the way of any residents that occupies people for hours and at no cost and people still object. For shame :(

Yes its an asset to the area and cost nothing to the taxpayer, and I know most the kids involved and they are good as gold, there has NEVER been one problem with this track at all.. It would be a shame to see it go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MaryD3

THINK THATS A VERY UNFAIR STATEMENT TO MAKE DO U KNOW ANY OF THE PARENTS OF THESE CHILDREN???????? Youth clubs not been open has alot of things to do with this if the places were open they would have a place to go and wouldnt be hanging around street corners!!!!!! look forward to hearing what you have to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharon b

I was wondering the same thing about the management fee, like everything else at the mo I thinkit should come down. I've lost touch a little, do we have someone who represents us to the management company? I've heard of people recently who got other management companies for a quote on how much they would charge and have gotten their management fees reduced. They're extremely high considering they do nothing for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shivers F

sharon b wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing about the management fee, like everything else at the mo I thinkit should come down. I've lost touch a little, do we have someone who represents us to the management company? I've heard of people recently who got other management companies for a quote on how much they would charge and have gotten their management fees reduced. They're extremely high considering they do nothing for it.

I agree, when we got the notification about this year's management fee, we were shocked. I can't believe it has gone up so much since last year. Let's be fair, there is very little maintenance work carried out. I understand there will always be standard costs, like electricity, bin collection, general servicing of the lifts, cleaning etc. but despite this I still don't think the price is justified. It should be going down as is everything else in this country at the moment. Was a resident's committee ever formed? Would anyone be interested in getting together to discuss our options and maybe the possibility of hiring a new management company like
    Sharon B suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leoba

Hi everyone, have enjoyed reading the board. I currently live across Northstrand road but am considering looking for a place to rent in the southern West Road/Hawthorn Terrace area. Have walked through and it seems quiet and pleasant. I'm a bit concerned (given some of what I've read here about problems with kids in the East Wall area) because I'll be living alone at least for a while (my hubby living out of the country for now) and I've just found out I'm pregnant... so safety is a major concern. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thereyeare

Hi Leoba,

I don't think you will have a problem with the antisocial element of eastwall(gang of little thugs)as they usually prey/hangout around church road main street and i;ve never seen them causing hassle around hawthorn terrace which seems to be off their route.

WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH : There is a small but aggressive gang of waisters that are trying to intimidate anyone they see as an easy target for their own amusement.
    They usually try their luck on people they don't think will recognise them and if you were to find yourself in this situation you would experience damage to your property such as egg/stone throwing at your windows ect.

I'm not trying to put you off as i wouldn't have a problem moving from the north strand to west road/hawthorn - any problem ring the garda in store street and talk to barry a community garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

thereyeare wrote: »

WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH : There is a small but aggressive gang of waisters that are trying to intimidate anyone they see as an easy target for their own amusement.
    They usually try their luck on people they don't think will recognise them and if you were to find yourself in this situation you would experience damage to your property such as egg/stone throwing at your windows ect.

I'm not trying to put you off as i wouldn't have a problem moving from the north strand to west road/hawthorn - any problem ring the garda in store street and talk to barry a community garda.

Would those be the scum who egged some guy in his mid 30's house and then shot him when he chased them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hi,

Just moved into East Wall at the beginning of the month. I love the location, near to town, fairview park and westwood gym and was just wondering if there is anywhere (apart from the pub) to meet people in the area? I noticed the community centre has been rebuilt..is there much going on there does anyone know?

Thanks

The pub it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Seabank House(ex Wharf Tavern) a nice enough pub and definitely worth a visit, whilst both the pubs bordering East Wall on the North Strand(Cusacks and Strand House) are grand enough....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

You should get an East Wall Residents Assoc. newsletter through your door every so often. This should detail times and locations of community meetings. Ask a neighbour for the last copy that went around. There is a fairly active residence committee afaik. One way of meeting people and getting to know your neighbours a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

Hi EF,
    The local dramatic group are having a variety show at the moment,I think it's on til the weekend.If you go along to that,you'll see a much better side of the local community.
    That group stages plays and pantos etc throughout the year.

mcdonut wrote: »
    Hi EF,
    The local dramatic group are having a variety show at the moment,I think it's on til the weekend.If you go along to that,you'll see a much better side of the local community.
    That group stages plays and pantos etc throughout the year.

Thanks McDonut, I found the community centre only during the week, seems to be a lot on this week alright, especially for the kids in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You could join East Wall Watersports and get out in Dublin bay. It's just off the Alphie Byrne road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Seabank House(ex Wharf Tavern) a nice enough pub and definitely worth a visit, whilst both the pubs bordering East Wall on the North Strand(Cusacks and Strand House) are grand enough....

Brgds
    Johnny

You might want to have a closer look at the Strand House before you decide to step in. Always preferred the pubs in Fairview like Smyths and Gaffneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

donaghs wrote: »
    You might want to have a closer look at the Strand House before you decide to step in. Always preferred the pubs in Fairview like Smyths and Gaffneys.

Vincent Smyth must be the only publican in Dublin that charges an extra 20c on a pint for going up 2 steps in his pub to a different part of the bar!!!

Sound bloke though, good pub and great food

Brgds
    Johnny

lightening wrote: »
    You could join East Wall Watersports and get out in Dublin bay. It's just off the Alphie Byrne road.

I have passed the watersports centre many times and I have never seen it open, does anyone know is it just a summer facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

EF wrote: »
    I have passed the watersports centre many times and I have never seen it open, does anyone know is it just a summer facility?

It opens every day at around 9.30 I think... There is permanent staff there. Not sure about the weekend, but I will try and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 catussa

lived in the lighthouse apts for the last 4 months and thanks god moved now to ringsend, where I lived before. The car park of that buildings complex just sucks...no security at all (allthough it is advertised as secure and there is a security guard 24 hrs). Each weekend a few cars were broken in and my motorcycle needed 2 repairs in 4 motnhs, because a stupid scumbag tried to steal it and broke ignition...I would NEVER go back there!!! the area is just horrible, scum everywhere, church road is one of the sadest places I have ever seen in dublin and scared me even during the daytime wtih all those kids trying to kick my bike while I was driving by...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Freddie B

catussa wrote: »
    lived in the lighthouse apts for the last 4 months and thanks god moved now to ringsend, where I lived before. The car park of that buildings complex just sucks...no security at all (allthough it is advertised as secure and there is a security guard 24 hrs). Each weekend a few cars were broken in and my motorcycle needed 2 repairs in 4 motnhs, because a stupid scumbag tried to steal it and broke ignition...I would NEVER go back there!!! the area is just horrible, scum everywhere, church road is one of the sadest places I have ever seen in dublin and scared me even during the daytime wtih all those kids trying to kick my bike while I was driving by...:eek:

Surprised by what the last post said about the Lighthouse Apts. I rented there for 18 months before moving out to Kildare last March and didn't have any problems. Thought it was actually pretty quiet for a development of its size. Before living there, I rented a small gaf off Cork Street D8 where it was much worse, lots of drugged up punters around that part of town. Took life in own hands walking around Cork St at night, never felt threatened walking around East Wall. Yes those teenage knacker scumbags (everyone knows who they are) could do with a good hard kicking but the gardai seem to be making some progress there since the tragic death of that poor guy a few months ago. Would be nice if their scumbag sponger parents gave a sh*t but no doubt they're all at home way too stoned off their heads to care.

Anyways....other than that was v happy in the Lighthouse. Great location, quick walk into the city centre or out the coast road in the other direction. Much better than being slap bang in the stinking city centre.

Advertisement