Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

There seem to be a few Lighthouse apartment buyers in this thread.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any problems show up in the snagging? We are snagging an apt in block 2 tmorrow and just wonderring if there are any common faults showing up?

Hi Dave,

I did my snag a week ago on LH2. Although it was 3 pages long the snag showed few major problems. Some re-painting, some touch up on other paintwork, one door sticking, another needing adjusted. One kitchen unit needs replaced as it was damaged. Kitchen/bathroom needed sealant throughout.

I think the holidays will slow completion up somewhat, but I was surprised/shocked to hear from the security guard that so few people are still in at this stage. :confused: Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Begs wrote:
    but I was surprised/shocked to hear from the security guard that so few people are still in at this stage. :confused: Good luck!

Only guessing here mind, but i reckon there is only about 10-15 apartments actually moved into LH1 so far. Ive been in for about 2-3 weeks now myself. Car park is still fairly empty. I cant think of many reasons why it would be this way unless a lot of the apts were bought by investors who are still trying to rent them out. :(

Dave - wrt your snag, check the floors are level in the bedrooms and balcony. we found faults there. also had to replace the sink, front door, repair a window. found lots of small things after living there for a while too which is common enough...just be very thorough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vivienne wrote:
    Q from me: anyone got updates on restaurants in east wall / fairview / ifsc area; i.e. within walking distance of east wall...

Da Enzo on Fairview Strand is good, if quirky. Haven't been to Canter's in Fairview so can't say.

Not sure what's happening Charjo's the Thai place on Ballybough Road, but it was REALLY good.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

candyman wrote:
    Only guessing here mind, but i reckon there is only about 10-15 apartments actually moved into LH1 so far. Ive been in for about 2-3 weeks now myself. Car park is still fairly empty. I cant think of many reasons why it would be this way unless a lot of the apts were bought by investors who are still trying to rent them out. :(

I just checked daft.ie and there are 3 for rent, all LH1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwigirl

My partner grew up in East Wall in the 50's & 60's and can't believe the kinds of prices you guys are talking about for houses !!! When he was there, it was the the only place his parents COULD afford to live (think slum) and now the joke is , we probably COULDN'T afford to live there !! We have a 4 bdrm, 2 bathrm house with a swimming pool in a really good suburb in Auckland NZ, and would get about $650,000NZ for it if we sold today, so that would convert to about half if you go to Euros.....you'd all be better off to move to sunny New Zealand and get a house here !! We do a cracking St Patricks Day as well !! Our downtown apartments are going for around the $250,000 mark, so if you weren't a suburban type and wanted nightlife.....that's about 125 Euros...check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

kiwigirl wrote:
    My partner grew up in East Wall in the 50's & 60's and can't believe the kinds of prices you guys are talking about for houses !!!

It has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

kiwigirl wrote:
    We have a 4 bdrm, 2 bathrm house with a swimming pool in a really good suburb in Auckland NZ

Yeah, but can you walk into Mulligans for a lovely creamy pint of Guinness? Thought not.... :)

Give me Mulligans over a swimming pool anyday :rolleyes: !

Carnivore wrote:
    It has changed.

It hasnt changed enough imho. There is no point in trying to justify the house prices down here (or anywhere in dub in fact), they are simply ridiculous.

As a blow in resident of only a few months down here in east wall, I have to say i am enjoying it so far so good. Life in the lighthouse apts is pretty good, nicely finished and hopefully they add something to the aesthetic appeal of the area.

On the downside, alot of east wall could do with modernisation aswell as a good old fashioned tidy up. Cleaning up the litter off the streets would go along way to making the place feel nicer. I walk to work in town and as such pass thru alot of the areas around east wall. Litter and grafitti seem to be all too common around the place. Lots of kids hanging around street corners and empty run down buildings dont help to create a nice feel for the place. In its current condition, I dont think east wall would be a place I would like to raise a family in for example. No offence intended whatsoever to anyone reading this that is doing exactly that, it is just my humble take of things today.

All in all its a grand area with more +s than -s but we should get on to the docklands authority and see where the actions plans for church road have gone. Pumping some money into the area would go along way I think.

On the news front there are another 80 apartments due to be built on the lighthouse apt site in front of the existing residential blocks and cahill printers are due to close at xmas, another apt complex in the pipeline for that site also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Morse

spurious wrote:
    Da Enzo on Fairview Strand is good, if quirky. Haven't been to Canter's in Fairview so can't say.

Not sure what's happening Charjo's the Thai place on Ballybough Road, but it was REALLY good.

It was excellent, and really cheap. But the owners went their separate ways. One partner was a girl from EastWall and the other was the head chef over at Tiger Becs.

Its been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Vivienne wrote:
    Q from me: anyone got updates on restaurants in east wall / fairview / ifsc area; i.e. within walking distance of east wall...

There's only really a handful of eateries nearby East Wall, these are the ones I've been too.

Milanos in IFSC opposite Clarion Hotel, can't go wrong with their pizzas really.
    Clarion Hotel itself, think the restaurant is called Kudos, thai grub.
    Italian cafe on Mayor Sq, nice pasta and pizzas, it's a good 'un.
    The newest one is the Ely Wine bar in that CHQ building up towards the Harbourmaster pub. Ely's quite expensive so I won't be going there every week but it's a fabulous building and the wine and food are tasty.
    Harbourmaster itself does pub grub and also has a restaurant attached which is decent.

That's all that come to mind right now.....

• Advertisement

a few more eateries....
    casa pasta on the clontarf strand there is not bad.
    the yacht doees some decent cavery tucker, get it while it lasts, the place has been sold for apts.
    kinara, a bit further down the coast road is a top indian and worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ruthf

Just wondering if anyone down East Wall way went to see the plans that were on display for the redevelopment of the Community Centre on St Mary's Road a couple of weeks ago? I live really nearby but was away at the time and am very curious??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shoutinbob

yeah went to see it, its a huge difference from whats there now. Basically they plan to demolish the existing building and replace it with a whole new building, including creche class rooms etc. The concern that most people have (understandably) is that it is 5 stories high, so besides looking out of place on such a low level road it will affect local peoples light / privacy etc. The existing tar pitches are to be replaced by Astro pitches that will be closed at 9:30pm (apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwigirl

Slutboy wrote:
    Yeah, but can you walk into Mulligans for a lovely creamy pint of Guinness? Thought not.... :)

Give me Mulligans over a swimming pool anyday :rolleyes: !

No we don't have Mulligans....but you'd be welcome to down a few pints of Guinness at The Claddagh, The Dogs Bollix, The Bog...or any other of our fine drinking spots in Auckland that cater and then when you come to at midday the next day....you can have a refreshing swim to brighten the brain cells up !!! We have January/February days in the 27/28C temp range with Pacific Island humidity so you'd see the benefits of a pool pretty quick and then you can always have a few more beers to start the afternoon off poolside !!:p

Anyone noticed that the fire exit to church road (small gray door beside big double gray doors) to the right of where the "shop to be" will be is practically always wide open.

Apparently the builders use this door as a way of leaving work early without being seen by the foreman etc. One of the lads onsite told me himself.

It leads directly into the underground car park, it actually couldnt be easier to walk in off the street and have a wander around the basement. Its only a matter of time before something happens down there. I have said it to security several times now, may aswell be talking to the wall.

Any ideas what we can do? Did any of ye get that letter there recently from ODPM about the upkeep of the place, satellite dishes etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

Ya I had to help one of the security guards chase some local kids out of the complex about two weeks ago. They simply jumped the main gate and opened the back gate your talking about.

The pedestrian gate is now broken and the main drive though gate is often left open for hours at a time. There is no lock on the front door to the lobby either. Finally the access door to basement car park is always open and even if you had to swipe if you brake the glass fire panel it will unlock.

Got the letter too. What do you think of it? I have seen Clothes Lines the odd time, But then again the washer/dryer we have takes twice as long then a normal dryer to get the clothes dry. Bit of a ****ty cop out. Tell me have you seen any satellite's?

aint seen any sat dishes around yet so not sure on that one.
    the security thing has to be looked at tho, maybe a call to our friendly prop management agents is in order.

its soo easy to climb over those gates tho im just surprised there hasnt been more young fellas climbing over for a look around.

oldschool wrote:
    Oh, there have already been calls to the 'friendly management agents', let me tell you! Security is a big issue, yes - I take EVERYTHING out of my car including the stereo front, and keep my bike in the apt.
    I cycle aswell. We need to get a bike rack installed down there.
    oldschool wrote:
    I find it strange that once you are inside the main gates of the development that you can walk into the apartment block lobbies where the letterboxes are - the next locked door is the inner door in the block, not the outer one. I'd be worried about someone getting into the letterboxes....
    Probably to allow the postman access to the boxes.

Oldschool - sent you a pm there regarding the person you spoke to in O'Dwyers, may aswell keeps our issues going to the same person.

Security is a big issue here as there are gaping holes in the access to this complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 red19

What is the story with the rubbish areas? Has anyone else noticed people have been dumping general waste in to the recycling bins? The glass bin in block 2 yesterday was packed with rubbish, even though the rubbish bin wasn't full!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldschool

I know! In my block (126-157) people can't even be bothered to open the door to the bin store at all, let alone actually lift the lid of a dumpster and put their stuff in. The bin bags that they've abandoned are then torn up by animals (rats?). I really feel like putting up my own notice on the wall saying
    'Put your bloody rubbish in the bin, you lazy, selfish f*cker!!'

• Advertisement

anyone else get thier ntl cut off tonight?

Yes ours is gone went around 9. Dont Know why????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

You guys living in East Wall should open up a new shop for the area.

oldschool wrote:
    What, if anything, were you guys told about the overground parkers?

Simply that there have been complaints about people parking above ground in front of LH2 mainly. She didnt say whether they were going to do anything about it asides from saying that it was a serious issue and she was going to look at it when she did a site visit on monday just gone.

I'd call it "visitor parking" myself but they may bring in clampers eventually. Heres hoping we can avoid getting clamping involved.

Sure the underground is a mess right now with all the pipes leaking and alot of spots blocked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lighthousedave

Have any of you guys had any success with getting internet in your apartments? I have been trying for 6 weeks now and am getting no-where.

What providers are you with? Can NTL provide a package with a phoneline?

Have any of you guys had any success with getting internet in your apartments? I have been trying for 6 weeks now and am getting no-where.

What providers are you with? Can NTL provide a package with a phoneline?

Am with eircom myself and had to get the phone line in etc. Unless u go wireless with digiweb or somebody u will have to get a phone line. The whole process was pretty painless tbh.

NTL couldnt provide broadband on the line when i checked about 6 months ago so unless something has changed...

what hassles are u having?

I got Digiweb Metro myself (wireless). They were able to point the receiver on my balcony (v. small and unobtrusive) towards their Finglas transmitter. It's working fine. Eircom line wasn't working when I got into my apartment, and I was on a waiting list for an engineer to call out for 5 weeks. I investigated alternatives, and went with Digiweb, so bye bye Eircom forever!

We went with didiweb too. Grand service for the price of an eircom line. Phone calls are a little fuzzy though.

sometime between last night and today at about 2 o'clock my bike was robbed from the underground car park. it was chained to the red and white builders railing outside the green block in the underground.

the bike is a red mountain bike with the word ranger written on the crossbar.
    i am raging over this and the feckin security guard is actually less than useless.

if anyone saw anybody on a red mountain bike around the underground last night or saw anything suspicious going on near the green block, could they pls let me know asap.

also if anyone has any ideas on the best way to handle this, shout also.

cheers. :(

• Advertisement

Candyman, that's ****! Is there cctv there? You're screwed as far as comeback goes with Collen or O'Dwyer's. Do you have bike cover on your home insurance?

My bike is rusting energetically on my balcony, and there it shall stay, after hearing your bad news.

Advertisement