Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Bards

Car parking will be underground except for land reserved for phases 2 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The article says the temporary car parking spaces will be reconfigured into permanent multi level or surface parking as part of future phases. Giving any space to surface car parking seems like a big waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

8 blocks of flats … apartments??! with underground parking, with a bit of retail space…..

So another Railway Square?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Summary from the pre-planning notice

1 x 9 story hotel 160 rooms

1 x 8 story aparthotel 165 rooms

4 x 9 story apartment blocks

2 x 8 story apartment blocks

All above with food and beverage /retail

125 underground car parking spaces

Temporary car parks include

West towards rice bridge - 195

East opposite tower hotel - 370 (including 200 for transport hub)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Do people think it would be possible to remove the car park across the river?

• Advertisement

Good idea if possible. Would people park in the North Quay and walk across?

Does anyone know how many car park spaces approximately are on the South Quay?

Do you know if they'd build significantly on the South Quay or would it just a park with a few coffee shops?

I think more apartments/hotel/offices with retail/bars/restaurants/cafes on the bottom would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Valhalla90

There is absolutely nothing iconic in this project. Very disappointed with the application.

I think people should have realistic expectations.

It's been derelict for decades.

If the North Quays gets developed and they remove the parking from the south Quays and develop that land also, that's a huge improvement to the city.

It also means much more people living the city centre so has many ancillary benefits.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Falcon they had some ambition with heights. A nine storey hotel in a SDZ that allows for 17 storeys. Also remember the temporary car parks around the city. They are still undeveloped decades later. Nobody can guarantee the south quay carparks will disappear they are privately owned. This first phase lacks any ambition for a site that we waited so long to be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and then theyll decide to put more apartments on the south Quays ……… €€€€€ …

Yep… Bland, not much to get excited about …. Just another load of apartments … zzzzzzz

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

I hate to say it, but it probably won't even get planning to do even this, and in 10 years it will be spoken about as just another badly thought out, badly planned and badly developed area, from what was supposed to be to what we will eventually get, and still people will be told, well its better than nothing, or better than what was there. Waterford is one of the last regions in Ireland that has huge potential, and so sad to see it just wasted away again, feels like the Michael Street development again, massive potential, and nothing delivered for various reasons.

Does anyone know if the new transport hub on the North Quays mean that the bus station will move over? Or will there be two bus stations?

It's not clear to me.

The new transport hub is described as multimodal for trains, buses, taxis, bikes etc...

From what I'm hearing is that the current bus station will be used for city services only (W3, W5 etc) and the expressway service will be over in the new transport hub which would make perfect sense

It’s SDZ site it will receive planning permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I'd be interested to know why you think it won't get planning permisssion?

It is an SDZ site and the planning is entirely a matter for the City Council. It cannot, as far as I know, be appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭mart 23

Will the buildings have good renders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

Sorryi should have said, permission to build what they have gone in for, it will no doubt be diluted again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Sounds great!! Especially the emphasis on apartments. Waterford is a tiny city, I would prefer something realistic that is built than pie in the sky stuff that would struggle to get off the ground even in Dublin go for planning and never happen. This will be revolutionary if it goes ahead and I think push Waterford ahead of Galway. Waterford has the tourism aspect that Galway has too, it just isn’t marketed as well

I agree.

The important thing is that it's getting done.

It doesn't need to be an architectural wonder.

This definitely won't push Waterford ahead of Galway though.

Historically Waterford is bigger than Galway but Galway's university, tourism, employment is miles ahead.

Galway's private sector in medical devices and IT is so far ahead.

I think it would be good if Waterford found its own niche in future proof technologies like wind turbines or batteries and tie it in with the SETU.

Also build a car bridge from the Mall over to Ferrybank and pedestrianise the South Quays and build a beautiful park there with some offices/apartments/retail/bars etc..

I agree with some of what you say, Galway is a thriving city and no one in Waterford has any issue with that. I presume you live there or are from there? It should be pointed out that the Galway situation in industry and education was gifted to that city by government. The city is a poster child for "Save the West". The IDA made a clearly obvious decision to concentrate on medical devices there and gave Galway a huge engineering and manufacturing niche almost from nothing. It is not clear what plan the IDA has for FDI in Waterford. There has not been an FDI announcement of any scale here for a decade.

I dont know how Waterford can develop future proof technologies in wind turbine and battery technology in competition with cities and universities all over Europe, without government investment in FDI and SETU, which has not appeared so far. Even then, its a very long haul. Its not clear what plan government has for SETU in Waterford, other than talk.

Your post offers the same pitch that Eamonn Ryan and the Greens are trying to sell here in denying the development of Waterford Airport. Chicken and egg without either being propery resourced.

I'm not from Galway.

I think the west of Ireland was economically deprived so that's why it got so much investment from government.

It's an objective viewpoint that Galway's ahead in many sectors.

But the south and east coast are being earmarked for offshore wind turbines so Waterford being a hub for wind turbines isn't a bad idea.

I think economically it's good to find a niche as this creates a virtuous cycle. The number one reason FDI/multinationals come to an area is if there's an appropriate workforce.

So this would have to tie in with the SETU also.

I don't know enough about Waterford Airport to comment. I wonder what Michael O'Leary thinks. If flights are cheaper than Cork or Dublin, then it's definitely feasible. I think lots of people booking from Europe will use Skyscanner or similar and book the cheapest flights and travel onto their destination. If they give Ryanair whatever incentives to set up there, it's definitely feasible. Paris Beauvais airport is two hours from Paris. Waterford is 2 hours from Dublin.

There's talk of a national aerospace academy there which would be good idea. This could tie in with electric airplanes and battery technology maybe.

One slight advantage Waterford has is that it's closer to Rosslare and Europe but I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes.

I suggested batteries as it's definitely future proof and the EU doesn't want to be reliant on China, so they might provide funding. Also I'm guessing a port is useful for shipping in raw materials.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Kincora2017

100% agree. Even if the North Quays doesn’t happen all traffic and car parking should move from the South Quay. It’s a disaster as it is and detracts massively from the city.

If it was a choice, I’d take a pedestrianised quays with a nice park leading onto the river, over a load of apartments on the north quays that could end up a white elephant in years to come.

Let me reiterate, I have no issue with anything in Galway or the West of Ireland. My point is that Galway didn't find a niche, it was given the niche in medical devices engineering (the southeast work force was and is comparable) followed by massive investment in third level education. You seem to be suggesting that Waterford should find a comparable niche in new areas.

The difference in the level of support accorded to Galway versus Waterford is and has been enormous.

The North Quays will definitely happen. I don't think it'll be a white elephant either as the first phase is sensible. It's just 350 apartments, a hotel, an aparthotel and an office.

It has the funding and political will and the planning will go through.

I think a car bridge from the Mall over to Ferrybank might be necessary to pedestrianise the South Quays.

You could then have a "car free zone" from Patrick St inwards, from the Viking triangle to the old Bridge.

It wouldn't be literally "car free" but car reduced.

Have a nice linear park along the South Quays with amenities like boating, lido, sports eg Basketball and some apartments, offices, retail, bars, cafes, etc

I don't know enough about it so I'm not suggesting anything.

Galway already had a university and is the capital of Connaught so had a big population to draw on. So it was an obvious place to invest in as it benefits the neighbouring counties also.

I'm just saying economically it would be good for Waterford to have a niche. However that happens I'm not sure.

Cork has pharmaceuticals and IT. Galway has medical devices and IT.

Limerick has engineering I think.

I suggested wind turbines as geographically it makes sense as it requires a port and it's near to where they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/border/1421717/north-quays-project-team-issues-positive-update-to-kilkenny-county-council.html

Great to see that Kilkenny's North Quays project is also forging ahead! 🤣 This never gets old.

In case you're wondering where that is, it's at the Kilkenny border with Ferrybank, or something…(don't mention the w word noooo never ever ever!)

Advertisement