Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ahh right … Ok…. Its a tribute to what was there before ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Absolutely nothing iconic from this proposal. It’s very disappointing and I’m surprised from Harcourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Jesus they'd want to get a move on then to get them started in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Its fairly "blaaa" looking (pardon the pun) nothing exciting to look at it. It appears to be a residential and office proposal aiming for high density. So from that point it will hopefully bring a lot of people to the city center to live and work. I may be wrong but I thing phase 2 is the eastern section of the quay where Bell Lines used to load and unload the containers. In any proposal seen so far, even back as far as Rob Cass and the Saudis, it was that area where the high rise 15 storey building were proposed, so maybe we'll see them in that area in a few years time. Although I think the hotel on the western side should be high rise also.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://waterford-news.ie/2023/03/14/hugh-wallace-on-getting-the-north-quays-right/

Well Hugh Wallace, who designed it, said it was important to get it right and Harcourt's guy is a Waterfordman, Pat Power, who'll hardly want his legacy in his hometown to be, borrowing from a recent eminent visitor; "a monstrous carbuncle".

I'll remain optimistic it's going to look good until the reality proves otherwise. 🤞

• Advertisement

If my memory serves me right the SDZ site is broke up into 3 zones. The middle zone where this development is planned is the zoning that has the lower heights. The hotel though could have been built in the zone with the higher requirement. Such a wasted opportunity especially with SDZ designation not to build taller. I really hope these renders are not the final ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

So it will be like a bigger Railway Square with a Centra on the ground floor.

Starting to look like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mart 23

How much funds are available for this phase of construction.

You've raised a crucial point. People saying above about who is involved but the bigger question is how much money is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this plan is in the bin now ??

This is what is floating around online now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bards

We need to wait until the detailed planning application is made as all renders heretofore are deemed to be aspirational

The above pic was not in circulation until yesterday. I feel this could be what it actually will look like. Which is very disappointing. All that waiting for copy paste block of flats. Even the hotel is miserable looking. I really hope this is not the final look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's becoming more and more like waiting for Godot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭914

To be fair all these renders as named as "architects drawing" or "architects impression" surely that is a Harcourt's architect, unless it's a council architect.

This is the first we have seen of these renders so chances are it won't be a million miles from the plans.

The previous renders from Falcon were online with their plans, makes little sense to do up renders and submit a completely different plan.

PS I hope you are right as these renders don't spark any imagination.

Waterford Whispers Bill Badbody might have covered these renders perfectly

"As a future councilor of Tramore and Waterford I'm delighted to announce this soviet style block of flats and offices - it's just what Waterford needs right now."

They almost remind me of the woeful Michael Street development renders from a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭914

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And to think we were all disappointed when that first of many downgrades took place!

And if that is close to the final design… will you then admit that it looks rubbish and that we've capitulated on what should have been a "Game changer" (20 years hearing this) for the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

I don’t get the negativity towards the design. Looks very like the style in the Docklands on quays in Dublin.

I think I preferred the grain silos.

Anyway, it will be great when it's up and running - watching the new residents stream across the footbridge every morning to work in the vape shops.

Don't know why you have a personal problem with me as if my opinion on whether or not I like the design before it becomes official actually matters a damn to what is going to be built

If you don't like the design , then put in submissions to the council when harcourt Lodge their planning application

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

…..and all the negative *ankers (like your good self) dressed in pin striped suits remain on the south 🔑’s cafés looking across and smugly reminiscing about the silos and cranes and how good things were whilst sipping on ‘flat whites’

I simply asked you because you are about one of two people in this thread that haven't criticised the latest downgrade.

Granted you've said wait for the final plans, but with two weeks to go and these renders now just being released along with the news that submission is imminent, then I don't think they will be a million miles off.

Will you apologise to me if the final design is completely different to the renders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

So what’s the guess when this is done ?

No place should set up modern Dublin as a metric against which to measure themselves. Vacuous, corporate, nothingness.

Anyway, that's form, what about function? Well, it's just blocks of flats it's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Dexpat

Very predictable responses really, based on an incomplete picture and renders which may or may not be reflective of the final design.

The hotel element looks poor to be honest, but the second picture in the N&S article showing the grade A office space and blocks of apartments looks clean and seems to have lots of good detail. For better or worse this seems to be the architectural style in vogue the world over and is not going to change in small city like Waterford.

The first element needs to be commercially successful, and as I said previously, high-density accommodation, offices and hotels with convenience retail has the best chance of working on the site. Remember this is just the first phase and there will be more scope for something more unique and iconic in later phases, especially in the tourist and high-rise element.

In fairness, most people who have issues with the project have well-argued reasons and want to see the best for the site, but there are one or two posting just to wind up. Another poster is in full fantasy mode for an element which has been shown to be completely impractical to developers, the big retailers and the council. Saying I want, I want, I want like a 5-year-old is not going to change that. Everyone has an opinion, which is great, but I find in life there is no point in directly engaging with people who are unable to change their mind when conditions and information change.

What’s proposed now is not based on a lack of vision or ambition but on reality and what’s deliverable. An investment of over €200m between the two councils is being ploughed in currently on the infrastructure. The first commercial development phase will be about €225m. If it goes well, at least that amount again is possible.

Most places in the country would bite your hand off for that. The site has been derelict for 20 years and is about to be transformed which will have huge positive effects on the city and region. I can’t get my head around the negativity.

Hopefully the final drawings and renders will look better for some parts and should give a good overall reasoning for the different elements.

Advertisement