Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I heard that they are going to have a cable car over the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Valhalla90

That is planned for whatever the Ard Ri site becomes. Though with it’s current owner I wouldn’t expect to see anything done here unless it’s sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Great to see so much activity going in there. Interestingly enough, since the contra flow was put in place, I get over the bridge and through Ferrybank in both the morning and evening without any hold up at all. I assume more people must go the bypass.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Wait till the schools are back the week after next and see will you be saying the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Good point. I usually pass through at about 7 in the morning and 6 in the evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Past there yesterday, some serious civil engineering works going on there. Lot of noise from the piling, noise from the people who said it would never happen is gone. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

News & Star leading with the planning application for the commercial element of the North Quays expected in November.

The images used of whats supposedly proposed look suspiciously like the old Al Hokair/Falcon drawings. I thought the mix of retail v residential was changed from the old blueprint and Harcourt Developments would hardly reuse Falcons old plans, would they?? Is this just the N&S chancing their arm printing the old drawings? Anyone got the skinny on this?

The images used are the ones Falcon had in planned for. I found it very strange they printed those plans. Harcourt will be submitting a completely different plan. Hopefully we get something ambitious from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

If there is nothing expected until November then how could they be anything else other than the ‘Falcon’ images….?

• Advertisement

Using Falcons images is strange giving a lot of readers will presume this is the project. Just need to wait and see what’s proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭decies

I know it is what it is now , just find it depressing that the small retail offering cafes etc will be no threat to city centre offering according to developer gone from a game changer for the south east to this .

To be honest our main priority for retail regarding the city centre should be to try get the big names into City Square and give the city a better offering. It seems to be taking a lifetime unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Therefore It's disingenuous of Waterford News & Star. All they had to do was state they were showing drawings of the old proposal.

It's the legacy media version of clic-bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

There's a 'masterplan' section on the North Quays website: https://waterfordnorthquays.ie/

It seems to show what exactly they are now planning.

There is no big 'shopping centre' now planned, it will be mainly residential, hotel and office, with a Visitor Centre, new transport hub and a bit of retail/food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I know people are going to complain about the lack of a shopping centre. But realistically it makes sense for a number of reasons. Am impressed that two hotels are planned though.

Shopping centres are going the way of the dodo.

Even in the capital of consumerism, the US, malls are being abandoned non-stop.

Oxford St in London, the most famous shopping street in the world, is turning into a pound shop & vape shop heaven.

Any new shopping centre would end up the same - shops selling tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

Anyone know when Harcourt Developments will reveal their plans for the commercial aspect of the NQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Have you been to any of these places recently or are you just going on what you read?

If you give people a good place to shop, they will shop there. Retail is doing just fine in loads of places.

They said they will go for planning in November so anytime now we should see the plans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

I think a different approach to these shopping centres should be looked at,

If you look at the west edmonton mall for instance a lot of it is geared towards activities and entertainment for individuals and families, you have a waterpark,museums,gun range and all sorts of other attractions all under one roof (admittedly due to canadian weather) But this draws in people and the retail outlets are there also,so they get spill over from people visiting these attractions as well as people who want to shop,

Now I know that is a massive development but even if we look closer to home, at the liffey valley shopping center, in the shopping centre is "jump" witch is a trampoline bouncy thing for kids and I've been in there a couple of times and it has been thronged, the shopping centre retail shops must be getting spill over customers where as if the jump facility was built in its own industrial unit on the outskirts of Dublin then they wouldn't be getting that business.

They have to make these places attractive for more that just shopping .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

There is no shopping center going over in the North Quays as per current plans.. Hotel, apartments and offices with a little bit of food and beverage are the plans once Harcourt release their drawings

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

..id imagine this would be good for the ferrybank center now, as more retail is badly needed in that area, and this project should make this building sustainable now for retail....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Deiseen

And money out of Waterford City councils pocket and into Kilkenny's.

Well played Waterford, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah i couldnt give a sh1te about that, more people in the area spending, is good for all of us, residents have no alternatives over there, aldi must be cleaning up, just use the damn building, before it falls apart....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This whole NQ thing is after making traffic an absolute nightmare. Reducing to one lane in Ferrybank is after clogging up the bridge, summerhill, gracedieu, yellow road etc. Even Barrack Street, Ballybricken and Morgan Street is packed like sardines from 3pm to 7pm. If these works go on for years there are going to be some people losing their jobs or relocating because of transit times. Its becoming almost impossible to drive anywhere in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Thats what its like to live in Galway. If people are crossing the bridge to go home they should use the By pass. Anything else is silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I hate to break it to you, but traffic is not going to get any better in Waterford. With 1-2% annual population growth, increased prosperity leading to more cars, and finite road space, driving around during the day is just going to be a no-no unless you're prepared to sit in traffic.

If you really need to drive (e.g. mobile electrician, plumber, mobility impaired), then you should be getting on to the council to improve bicycle infrastructure and bus services so that people can switch from cars into those modes of transport, and free up the roads for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I was at the clock tower at 4.30pm today. Terrible traffic, but huge numbers waiting for buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aziz

My wife waited on the quay from 4 until 5 o clock then gave up and went for a taxi

Advertisement