Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for tenuous ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote:
    My friend once gave Roddy Collins a bit of another buddies birthday cake.

heh heh heh.....

with the whole pub singing feed the dubs at him too.....

anyway, back on topic, Roy Keane told me to fcuk off when i asked for an autograph.

I know Trevor Welch.

i met steve davis. what a hero.

I stole Cyclefly's set list from the stage after their gig in the savoy in cork.

*edit* ooh ooh I met Stacey Kiebler in Grafton Street! a lot shorter in real life too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

my uncle works in the movie business, so have met loads of actors; jared leto, christina ricci, colm meaney, gabriel byrne and others whose names escape right now.
    i once went on a beach walk with my mum, my sister, my uncle, elijah wood, his mum, his dogs and our dogs(this was years ago, before lotr)
    i met Andy Hallet and Mark lutz(actors from the tv show 'Angel') at a convention.
    the band Relish played at my school when i was in 4th year, talked to them loads and got their autographs.
    i was in the music video for a song called 'step on high' from the band 'revelino, it premiered on 'the den' :D
    one of my best friends is Duncan stewart's son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I stopped Morcheeba from going backstage one Witness. I didn't know who they were until after. And then, I was glad I did what I did...

I got within 1 foot of Keith Flint. He nearly spat on me.

My dog's great grandmother was the Irish setter used in the Bus Eireann ads.

I was on TG4 news, prodding seaweed with a scientific, uh, proddy thing...

I met (in)famous (in the right circles, at least) cartoonists John Kovalic and Greg Hyland. They signed absolutely everything I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

My Grandfather is in the commitments. When the fella is drumming in the pawnshop, my Grandpappy looks in the window then chuckles or shrugs or something.
    And my Mam's cousin is married to the voice of Shredder from the teenage mutant ninja turtles.
    And when I was young I painted beds with the Sultan's of Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Had a few drinks and played and sang in a session with Johnny Logan in my local pub a couple of years ago. Great night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ive more, my God, Ive more.

My buddy is going out with Cathriona Devereaux, the co-presenter of that tv show SCOPE on RTE 2.

I also met Stacy. Unfortunatley no photo though.

My dad met the singer from Métisse. She gave him 3 CDs of hers (anyone who hasnt heard the album MY FAULT is missing out huge. HUGE!!!)

The singer from The Darkness was dancing to my buddys band cartoon at oxegen for 15 minutes.

And finally, I spat in or around the area where Bill Clinton gave some stupid speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

continueing on braveheart links (without the balls)

My aunt was Mel Gibson Phisiotheripist (sp?) for the time he was shooting the film in Ireland, my aunt being the absolute bimbo she is didnt know who he was (Studio rung, asked her to see an actor etc) he invited her and her family out to dinner she turned him down becuase her husband might get the wrong idea. Husband was in fact...HUGE GIBSON fan...its the shame of the family.

My mom was the doctor to the tipperary hurling team for a while (yes a family of doctors) not too famous but i saw many a cool injury in my time staying in the dug out with her.

distant one this. My aunts cousin (by marriage) is Brenden Gleeson. Not related to me but she did give me the audio tapes he used (i think) to improve his acting.

c'est la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've gotten my ugly mug on the telly a couple of times while standing around watching rallies (mainly on 'RPM').

You could just about see me and my brother walking around the pitlane at Mondello Park during the 2001 round of the British Touring Car Championship race there (the shot was taken from the top of the control tower looking back down below). A friend of mine got his mug on the telly at this year's round. I was standing beside him....... all you could see was my elbow! :( Though, I did get close to Vicki Butler-Henderson in the pits this year. ;) And when the BBC was covering the touring cars in 2001, their commentator Charlie Cox put his hand on my shoulder to get past the gate out into the pit lane and said, "Excuse me. Thanks." He's one bloody tall, lanky Aussie, I must say!

Got within a couple of feet of 1996 Formula 1 World Champion Damon Hill at the Pheonix Park Races that year, where he was attending as a guest. Was trying to get his autograph but never managed to get through the scrum of people surrounding him, unfortunately. Damn nice fella, though. Very polite.

Have lots of autographs of other racing and rally drivers: Steve Soper, Jason Plato, James Thompson, Yvan Muller (all former BTCC champions) amongst others; rally drivers including Denis Biggerstaff, Tommy Graham, RTE presenter Michael Lyster (he was competing in the Circuit of Ireland Rally) and the late, great Bertie Fisher.

My father met Trevor Welch a couple of years ago. Both my father and brother met Tracy Piggott a couple of times when she was supporting the Irish Prison Service Cycle of Ireland charity cycle. My grandmother and uncle met Mick McCarthy years ago when he was signing copies of his book, 'Captain Fantastic'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

What a very interesting thread.

A few of the older generation will remember Eamonn Andrews, of "what's my line" and "this is your life" fame.
    He was my cousin.

Er, I drink in the same quiet boozer that the Corrs dad does, eh, we're only on nodding terms :D

Met a load of crappy celebs; Twink, Joe lynch, Anneka Rice and the like, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Last one.

We were in the Horseshoe bar in Cork recently, and someone told my buddy that MOSS KEANE was in the bar. In he goes to give out about Roy Keane.

The buddy thought it was Moss Keane, former Irish Rugby International. It was in fact Roy Keanes dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

gimmick wrote:
    Last one.

We were in the Horseshoe bar in Cork recently, and someone told my buddy that MOSS KEANE was in the bar. In he goes to give out about Roy Keane.

The buddy thought it was Moss Keane, former Irish Rugby International. It was in fact Roy Keanes dad.

thats classic, I like that!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm glad it's tenuous, I have a ton!

best one probably, is that my dad's partner is the sister of the ex wife of ex Scotland + Celtic goalkeeper (from the 80's) Alan Rough, so if my dad had re-married and Alan hadn't got divorced, he'd be my step uncle! how's that for tenuous!

my brother used to run a club in london called the limelight, anddanni minogue had been at her birthday party at the hippodrome, but hated it and came to his club round the corner, and wanted to get into the VIP room, but he told her to fvck off cos she wasn't famous (she'd only had one single at that time).

i met loads of people there too. i was only 13 or so at the time, but in the summer holidays i'd stay in london with him and act as a bus boy and general dogsbody, but on a good night of various promotions he'd let me do the cloakroom, so I'd meet everyone when they came in.

I tooks coats off and spoke to kenny everett, clive owen (with his boyfriend! all the girls were very upset) jeff bridges and robin williams at the after party of the fisher king premiere. I took drinks to quincy jones, joan armatrading, annie lennox, yazz (minus the plastic population) about 15 page 3 girls of the time, cleo rocas, nigel benn & chris eubanks. boy george (and his brother the totally insane drug dealer, strangely enough). so many, i can't even remember, and who aren't even famous any more.

my girlfriend had a coffee and a chat with arnie in his hotel while he was over for the special olympics. very charming apparently.

was at the stereophonics at the point and the english preist off ballyk was sat right near me. looking really rough too.

many more. few minor tv appearances on regional stuff. oh, and I slept with david gowers younger (by about 15 years, thankfully) sister when i was 18. seemed like a good idea at the time. :D

oh, and a guy i was at uni with used to live next door to matthew corbett, and although most of the props etc. got sold to a japanese collector, matthew GAVE him the sooty van when it was all over, knowing how much he wanted it (he was a proper stoner) and it's been driven all round europe and is now covered in little stickers from every country he's been to. met him in a pub a few years back and he said it was the best way to get free weed he'd ever known and he was never going to get rid of it.

Also, my dad went to school with the drummer in Thin Lizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I once sat in a chair in a pub that Bono had just vacated and it was still warm from his arse-warmth. I felt special. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got a tip from Shane McGowan. Didn't know what it was because he just slipped it into the palm of my hand when shaking it, t'was one hundred pounds Irish. Pays to be a barman at times!

I threatened to kick Kris Marshall (lead actor in "The Most Fertile Man In Ireland") out of a hotel I was working in if he didn't cop on to fúck. Was priceless because he was behaving like an up himself cúnt because the afore-mentioned film had just gone over brilliantly at the Galway Film Fleadh.

When I was a wee kid I once built sandcastles with Christy Moore's sons on a beach in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sleepy wrote:
    I threatened to kick Kris Marshall (lead actor in "The Most Fertile Man In Ireland") out of a hotel I was working in if he didn't cop on to fúck. Was priceless because he was behaving like an up himself cúnt because the afore-mentioned film had just gone over brilliantly at the Galway Film Fleadh.

That film is such ****e. Bleurgh.

Anyway. I met Ardal O'Hanlon and John Lloyd (producer of Blackadder and Spitting Image). I have Jenny Kelly's mobile number in my phonebook - used to have Enda Kenny's mobile humber too but deleted it before I could do anything fun with it.

Some day you'll all be using me in one of these threads. (yeah sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

my uncle was Phil Lynotts mechanic.

my mam went to school with newsreader, ann cassin.

the guy who played "Darren Doyle" in Fair City (niall o'shea or something) was in my Hamlet class in 6th year and when asked where he wanted to go to college he said "Trinners, cos Trinners is for Winners"....as you can imagine he was SOOOOO popular!

John Rocha's daughter was in my history class.

my sister is mates with the guys from Warlords of Pez.

She is also mates with the two guys from The Chalets.

I was at a party in said sisters gaff and did the "Top of the world" scene from Titanic in her balcony with a member of The Revs.

a fella i went to school with spotted Louis Walsh around Lesson St, ran over to him, kicked him in the shin and said "thats for boyzone, ya príck". funniest thing i've ever seen!

have walked past.....Roy Keane, The Italian Rugby Team, The Irish Rugby Team later the same day, one of the knobheads from Blue, Mutya from the Sugababes.

in work i have served....Harry and Frank from Fair City, Lead singer of Aslan, Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham, Bryan McFadden.

oh also, when i worked in Flip in Temple Bar a few years ago Jonathon Rhys Myers came in and was admiring an ugly second hand Aaran-type jumper. it was £10 and he said "i'll give you £5" i said "sorry but the price is 10." and he uttered the immortal line "do you know who i am?" i said "yea arent you the guy who ratted out Michael Collins??" he threw me a look and said "fine, a tenner it is" and then the git handed me a £50 note!!! tight bastárd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

On a school rugby weekend I stayed with Bob Geldof's sister's family , and got one of a stack of Bob autographs he supplied the with.

The lead singer from Therapy offered me a bag of speed if I gave him my spliff when the played in UL years ago, told him to f--k off.

My mate used to be in the Cranberries but left them to focus on study... bad move.

I had a pint with Brendan Grace in Lahinch.

Morrissey sat across from me in an airport lounge a while back , i ignored him.

Was out shark fishing with Derek Davis in Kinsale in the 80's.

here's some more (shorter this time cos I've been know to waffle a bit) ;).

I went to school with the cousin of one of the spitting image animators/artists.

a friend of my mum's went to school with sting, and he asked her out when they were about 13 and she turned him down cos he was ugly.

I used to go out with the great, great, great, etc. etc. grand neice of brendan behan. strangely enough the only person to have red hair in her family for 3 generations. very rare apparently cos it's a recessive gene (there i go again, waffling).

ronan keating used to (apparently) work for my current girlfriends dad in (i think) some sort of factory/packing plant for fizzy drinks. <- someone might be able to confirm or deny that as her dad is a very odd man.

i used to be a karaoke/quiz dj (sorry) in tenerife and this bunch of lads came in one time in the quiet season, and wouldn't stop singing every night they were there. I made a point of repeatedly taking the piss out of them at every opportunity cos they were telling anyone who'd listen that they were going to be pop stars etc. etc. 3 months later I see them on MTV. turns out it was 3 of the lads from Blue. it was supposed to be their last week of freedom before they were famous or something like that.

my brother lent his car to a mate and it cam back with stilleto marks in the dashboard from where your man was humping the girl in the flake advert right there in the passenger seat. the one with short black hair, where her bath water runs over. he wasn't happy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

phil lynott used to practice where me ma used to work. she said she was mates with him and he used to scab free smokes off her (back when they were sold individually). She also told me how me auntie (her sis) went out with him.
    also, that aunties husband loaned thin lizzy his "Les Paul" guitar to record whiskey in the jar. (i still dont believe me ma about this though, even though that uncle is big into guitars etc)

me brothers mate used to be one of ronan keatings security guards but he sacked him so me & my brothers mates kept prank fone callin him sayin we were the real da of his kid etc. was funny. he changed his number soon after.

i have a mate whos been in a few ads (night saver ESB ad, Big als burgers etc) and a film with angela landsbury and cynthia nixon, aswell as joseph and the amazin technicolor dreamcoat with jason donovan or someone like that. same mate served shane mcgowan the other day. said hes very generous with tips.

Went to same school as Andy Reid. remember playin football in the school yard at lunchtime with him a good few times. Graham barrett lives up the road.

Was on the 77 home from school few years ago and sat across from damien duff. he was with sum1 i thought was his da but got off at walkinstown roundabout so thinkin it mighta been brian kerr. not sure though.

was in judge roy beans and saw the jesus in the house fella. we dared me mate to go over & ask for a foto on his camera phone and when ur man said "ok" me mate goes "no not u, ur bird!". he saw the funny side of it and posed for a foto anyway. same mate was in lillies bordello 2 saturday nights ago. talkin to louis walsh and 2 of the westlife boys.

saw numerous celebs around town durin the EMAs in dublin.
    got me face on the news a few times.
    All very tenuous unfortunately. other stuff to do with fair city. prob think of more later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

went to school with Liam Mackey (Cork Examiner)
    once met Bob West (voice of barney the dinosaur) in gatwick airport
    served Michael flatley in shop (yes he is full of it)

fella i used to work with was the brother of the guy in those rugby poster (the one with the terminator eye).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Once, just once, Bertie turned his back on me, not 18 inches away and not a knife in sight.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

a fella i went to school with spotted Louis Walsh around Lesson St, ran over to him, kicked him in the shin and said "thats for boyzone, ya príck". funniest thing i've ever seen!

classic :D , thats something everyone in this country should get to do at least once in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i knew someone who knew Sean Kelly's bike.

(anyone remember what song that line is from ? )

Victor wrote:
    Once, just once, Bertie turned his back on me, not 18 inches away and not a knife in sight.... :D

I had a security job for Galway Race Week a while back, and he walked within a foot of me, too, but there were bodyguard type people. My god, he's an ugly sod when he's been drinking. Some people are ugly, but Bertie was UG-LEE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Victor wrote:

we have all had so many wasted oppurtunities....... :D

I have a few.

Bruce Campbell has replied to my emails. Hes a nice guy.

My fourth cousins are Noel and liam gallagher from Oasis.

i met Mundy at Witness last year.

My first cousin turned down a part in Troy. He was also offerd a part in Eastenders but turned it down to go on holidays. he currently works for minimum wage. Dumbass.

Ive been in Jack Charltons house, he has a holiday home in my home town.

I sat beside Pete Postlewaith at a weeding recantly.

My mums second or third cousins son wrote a major film, shame noone can tell me what film it was.

I have Mick McCarthys autograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

oh also, when i worked in Flip in Temple Bar a few years ago Jonathon Rhys Myers came in and was admiring an ugly second hand Aaran-type jumper. it was £10 and he said "i'll give you £5" i said "sorry but the price is 10." and he uttered the immortal line "do you know who i am?" i said "yea arent you the guy who ratted out Michael Collins??" he threw me a look and said "fine, a tenner it is" and then the git handed me a £50 note!!! tight bastárd!
    I used to know him when he was about 16, playing Quasar in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

frodi wrote:
    once met Bob West (voice of barney the dinosaur) in gatwick airport

... and you didn't kill him?? The chance of a lifetime! Wasted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement