Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for tenuous ?

Options
  • 12-11-2004 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Viz have this regular feature where people send in their obscure links to fame.

Inspired by this and the need to give me mate abuse thread, I think we should have one as well.

so, i'll start:

I know the guy who was the kid in the Hazlebrook farm ad ("I think you'll be quicker on your own"), also I once worked for Bonos brother.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

When I was a waiter years ago I served, Cliff Richard, Roger Whittaker, yer wan who owns the Rovers Return in Corrie, Darren Day and lots more famous people, oh yeah Barry From Hi-De-HI.
    was working in the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool and saw tv people all the time.
    tenuous to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I flashed me Nuts and me Arse in braveheart, the film won an oscar thanks to it I sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Brian Kerr (irish soccer manager) lives on my road and one of his daughters was in my class in school.
    Laura Birmingham (model) used to be a neighbour of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Nuttzz wrote:
    I flashed me Nuts and me Arse in braveheart, the film won an oscar thanks to it I sure.

My boyfriend was in that as well, (don't know if he flashed)

I has breakfast with Sinead O'Connor after a charity walk in Kildare, midnight sing-song around a camp fire with Luke a bloom and Sinead O Connor (same charity walk).

I'm sure there are more,
    My friend is a researcher on Podge and Rodge and therefore is alway playing one of the characters in the stories.

Oh yes,
    I have Paul McGrath autograph

I live a sad life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I was getting my coat out of the cloakroom in Tramco on saturday night and Drico walked past us, according my mate anyway, I didn't see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

gogo wrote:
    My friend is a researcher on Podge and Rodge and therefore is alway playing one of the characters in the stories.
    thats a rocking job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Michael Flately lives just 9 miles from my door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i worked on about 25 films in ireland over the past 10 years

my fave was the serpants kiss

i was a walk through in the when brendan met trudy film

my dad use to be a coach driver for the frames and u2

went to a party in guinness castle in leixip and rod stuwart was there

the list goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I met Eddie Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam, in a pub in Dalkey years ago. Nobody knew who he was. He was a nice bloke, got his autograph on a beer mat (classy guy that I am)

I met Eddie Vedder years ago when I was working in a garden in Kiliney. As a sad 15 year old grunger, I was beside myself when I saw him, I went up to him to say hello. He looked at me with derision, asked me did I work there, I said yes, and he told me to get the F**K back to work.
    I guess I caught him on a bad day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The year Jacques Villeneuve won the Formula 1 drivers world championship I bumped into him at a corporate do. Literally, after a few hours of free drinks (is there any better kind) we were up on the dance floor, one of the lads goes "look there's Jacques Villeneuve !", I turned around, caught him with my elbow (he's tiny and I was off balance) and knocked him flat on his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I got stoned and watched the Sopranos with Matt Stone in his gaff this May and I once got a phone call from Duncan Stewart asking about the staircase where I worked.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Ever seen a film called "the most fertile man in Ireland"?

I was his body double.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Jerry Lee Lewis lived 2 doors down from me for 2 years. Also, I screwed Willy, from "Free Willy". The second one may not have been true.

Papa Smut wrote:
    I met Eddie Vedder years ago when I was working in a garden in Kiliney. As a sad 15 year old grunger, I was beside myself when I saw him, I went up to him to say hello. He looked at me with derision, asked me did I work there, I said yes, and he told me to get the F**K back to work.
    I guess I caught him on a bad day...

He was probably hungover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

when Im up in my local occasionaly Robbie Keane is up there.
    Have seen him up there 5 times in last year witha apint of Guinness.
    When I was at the U2 concert the day Diana died, Larry Mullen told me to get out of his f*cken way.
    And here is a fairly tenuous but pretty cool link.
    The auld lad when he was growing up, Gene Wilder was a lodger in Wicklow in one of the Houses he grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I called Noel King a jerk.

My friend once gave Roddy Collins a bit of another buddies birthday cake.

A guy who tries to be my friend reads the news for a local radio station.

I once told Keith Curle where the toilets were.

I hung around with a young Shane Filan from Westlife while we were both student wasters in LIT in 1997.

Oh, and my friend gave Kate Moss a light. She siad thank you.

Another friend bumped into Kerry Katona, and knocked her over. She called him a stupid bastard. I was never so proud of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My granny has often told me that our family is (very distantly) related to the Corrs.

In addition, I am a direct descendant of the inventor of Tarmacadam.

gimmick wrote:
    I called Noel King a jerk.

Noel King is an asswipe. I told him he shouldn't be on TV in Toners pub one afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Another time Keith Flint gave me a fright when he fell on top of me when The Prodigy were playing in Cork City Hall in 1994.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

embee wrote:
    My granny has often told me that our family is (very distantly) related to the Corrs.

Actually, my granny tells me I'm their second cousin! :cool:

I went on the píss with Hughey Morgan and bodygaurd Biff who are both cool. (And Collin Farrell but pfft)

Went out with a Swedish model and Norwegian model for a time. (Seperately, unfortunately) Oh, and a girl on the Rotterdam Ladies Volleyball Team! :D But I was about 16 at the time so ...

I got elbowed in the eye by Packie Bonner. :cool:

Numbers in my phone include:

A Senior Cabinet Minister,
    Members of "International" Coverband Bjorn Again. (!)
    Joe Dolan (!!)
    and an actor in Fair City.

Ok I'm done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I met Faith No More. They all have large heads.

I walked past Bob Geldof in Stephens Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I've got Lemmy and Phil's autographs on a homemade ace of spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i called bertie a spanner before when he was out canvasing for votes!!! i was very small at the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Who's Phil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Blisterman wrote:
    Who's Phil?
    Phil Campbell from Motörhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

i went to school with rick astleys cousin!

i also bumped into bill murray (literally - sent him flying)! walking down south great georges streer one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Drunkenly walking down Grafton Street, saw yer man that played Curly in Coronation Street - something possesed me to scream at him that he was a sh*te actor - he didnt look happy :)

Met Samantha Mumba at a kids party

Appeared on "Who wants to be a Millonaire" and all I got was my picture taken with Gay Byrne and cheap ass bottle of champagne (that has possibly turned to vinegar)

Some months earlier was outside a pub having scooby and say Gay and his other half - we offered him some, he just said no thank you - class!

Noticed a RTE crew filming live outside the Westbury (while I was in Bruxelles) - so I ran outside and proceeded to do a walk-on

Audtioned for Weakest Link - met Dunphy - he smells like piss and vinegar

Got roasted by Ed Byrne during a break whilst taping Millionaire - told him to f**k off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

woosaysdan wrote:
    i called bertie a spanner before when he was out canvasing for votes!!! i was very small at the time!!!

reminded me of two more 'tenuous' ones that i forgot about....

I hadnt been in ireland for V long and Bertie came into the shop where I was working in the blanch centre (had just opened) and was only a young thing and he handed me his flyer and started his big speech only to be cut off by me saying 'yes thankyou, am very busy can you come back'

2 weeks later the bloke was taioseach (sp!) and I still rue the wasted oppurtunity I had to this day.....

Also, a couple of years ago I worked in a travel agency and booked a flight for a guy dave duffy and had no idea it was leo from fair city and sat in front of gim while everyone else kept pointing and giggling making me well paranoid and nobody would tell me he was meant to be famous!!

Thats all my not very tenuous links!! :):):confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement