Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Willing Slaves by Madeleine Bunting - very interesting
    Mediated by Thomas de Zengotita - " "
    The Information by Martin Amis - not his finest work so am struggling...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Luke Rhinehart-The Dice Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton a monstrous huge Sci-Fi novel with over 1100 pages! It's only one of three :D It's damn good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Try Fallen Dragon (easily his best imho) and Pandora's Star after you have finished the Nights Dawn Trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I'm reading Pride & Prejudice...

Damn i hate that book! But i must read it for my english course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

World war: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove, wonderfull!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Zen and the Art of Motorcysle maintenance.

been on my to-do list for years, interesting style of writing.

Finished the Algebraist , very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom.
    Interesting concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I've just finished "Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz". Absolutely brilliant!! A must read!! I'm going to read "The Taking" next, again by Koontz. Anyone read it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

lunar park - bret easton ellis (proof copy, in case you're wondering)

unimpressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Try Fallen Dragon (easily his best imho) and Pandora's Star after you have finished the Nights Dawn Trilogy.
    Will do, I'm currently reading through the last book of Night's Dawn 'The Naked God' and I'm getting frustrated at how the possessed are seamingly unstopable and the normal humans are failing at everything they do; it's just so contrived, one minute the Confederation Navy is big enough to crush the Organization the next it can just barely scrape together enough ships to ambush it! Or the fact that they can glitch the electronics so that they can't have modern weapons used againts them but they are still capable of using huge starships and advanced combat systems for their own army :rolleyes: That flip-floping spoils it a bit for me but still overall the series is damn good :)
    World war: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove, wonderfull!!!
    I loved that series when it was still in the WWII stage the images of Nazis attacking alien invaders with rocket jet planes and V-2s is simply hilarious, how can you not laugh at that? :D As the series progresses though it get duller and fewer interesting things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

*sigh* i've given up on Something happened by Joe Heller... again. I get the impression that something powerful happens at the end of the book, but if i've got to read the seemingly endless self examination ramblings, which lack any direction and make up 95% of the book... bah. forget it. :mad:

I'm now rereading Papillion by Henri Charriere, which by contrast is fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

EO Wilson's "The Diversity of Life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭GUBU

'The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts' by Louis de Bernieres - his first novel, absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

"The Darkness That Comes Before" by R. Scott Bakker. Pretty good so far, though he has a tendancy to make up too many impossible to pronounce and really not very necessary fantasy names even for my hardcore fantasy tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

"Air Babylon" by Imogen Edwards Jones. Great so far. Its funny, sad and a real eye opener as to what goes on behind the scenes at an airline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

'Pandora's Star' (as suggested by other Boardsies here).

Simply awesome! I can't wait for the next bit. Need more now!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

SofaKing wrote:
    'Pandora's Star' (as suggested by other Boardsies here).

Simply awesome! I can't wait for the next bit. Need more now!
    I should have been reading this thread...

Pandora's Star is fantastic, I've been a big Peter F. Hamilton fan for years, I'm amazed that he managed to follow up the Night's Dawn trilogy with such a brilliant new universe.

I felt Fallen Dragon was missing any real excitement, just didn't have the impact that any one of the Trilogy had.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Philip K. Dick- The Man In The High Castle
    Kurt Vonnegut- Palm Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Just started re-reading "Why Not Me?The Making of the Al Franken Presidency" by Al Franken. Its the funniest book I've ever read in my life and the only book that'll still make me cry with laughter no mater how many times I read it

Finished reading Of Mice And Men by Steinbeck a copule of days ago. An excellent novel.
    Finally started reading Catcher In The Rye. Not mad about it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

this week i am mostly reading ........my damn college books, I f*cking hate studying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Philip K. Dick- The Man In The High Castle
    Kurt Vonnegut- Palm Sunday
    Loved High Castle.

This week: Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Coupland, typical Coupland so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

George Orwell - 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

just finished the great gatsby -scott fitzgerald
    just started rereading catch 22

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pukey wrote:
    just finished the great gatsby -scott fitzgerald
    just started rereading catch 22
    And you've recently finished On The Road...

Three fantastic (and different) books.
    You'll be hard pushed to read another three that good back to back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

up next is ulysses by joyce and the new neil gaiman book out in a few weeks, anansi's children

Feet Of Clay - Pratchett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl

Took a while to get going at the start, but I'm currently enjoying it. Set in 1860's America, scholars are translating Dante's Divine Comedy into English for the first time. They face opposition from Harvard officials, who fear the base influence that such a translation might offer. However, a series of murders take place, echoeing scenes of punishment from the Comedy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement