Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

I'm reading Elizabeth Wurtzel at the moment. I'd read 'Prozac Nation' a lifetime ago and for some unknown reason I decided last month that I was going to read all of her books. I say 'unknown reason' because frankly the woman irriates me!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Wreakers of Civilisation by Simon Ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

A bit of everything right now... Le Mort D'Arthur by Thomas Mallory, Vineland by Thomas Pynchon, and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. I have odd reading habits...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭cecilwinthorpe

Ive just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and i have to say its a must read

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

I'm just about finished A Scanner Darkly.

Next up is Ravelstein and Jonathan Safran Foer's new one.

Also, Peter Biskind's Gods and Monsters is the current toilet read (good for ten minute bursts - twenty with a dicky tummy).

• Advertisement

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I loved that book!!! :D At the beginning I was thinking... uh... this sounds a bit boring - when Albom is writing about his current life & his job as a sports journalist - but then I really got into the book.

God I bawled like a... like a GIRL!!! :p I read it a couple of times over the years... you know how sometimes you want to feel a certain way, like you want to cry but you don't have a reason to - anyway, I just had to read that book and I'd be whipping out the kleenex! The only problem is I haven't been able to read it since my dad died... I think I'd completely dissolve if I did!!! :rolleyes:

(Has anyone read any of his other stuff?)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

This week I'm reading The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

ring by Koji Suzuki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets [JK Rowling], The Golden Buddha [Cliuve Cussler] & The Paris Option [Robert Ludlum].

Re-read The Chisslers [Brendan O'Carroll] yesterday ... very funny [but sad in places]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The call of the wild & White Fang - Jack London.

(that "i are mostly" cracked me up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Just finished Anthony Beevor's Fall of Berlin, started the Golden Buddha by Clive Cussler. So far it's really awful. really really awful but i'll finish it dammit and dig up that old "worst book you've ever finished thread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I'm currently reading "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson. It's far more interesting that I expected and I'm rather enjoying it. Also, the fact that it's the first part of a trilogy is comforting since I know as I approach the end that I'm not quite finished yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I wanted a book for the train journey home yesterday and I bought "The Arrival of Fergal Flynn" by Brian Kennedy. I finished it this morning and I have to say I really enjoyed it! I thought the story was really well written. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised!

Also, the book was signed which is cool!

I wanted a book for the train journey home yesterday and I bought "The Arrival of Fergal Flynn" by Brian Kennedy. I finished it this morning and I have to say I really enjoyed it! I thought the story was really well written. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised!

Also, the book was signed which is cool!

is the the singer dude brian kennedy or someone completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

The Pearl - John Steinbeck.

Just finished "Franny & Zooey" by Salinger - I haven't read it for a while & boards put it into my mind - that was a quick read followed by "The Bitch Godess Notebook" by Martha O Connor... I'm nearly half-way through & enjoying it so far.

is the the singer dude brian kennedy or someone completely different?

same guy

cool. this week im reading Cuban Heels by Emily Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Still haven't finished the crap Clive Cussler book, but in the meantime i've just reread Dune by F. Herbert. absolute class.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CathyMoran wrote:
    Remember first reading that book on my 30 minus nine month birthday...good book.
    Oddly enough, I'm reading it on my 30 minus 10 month birthday! It's quite a good read, better than I had expected it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just finished "Franny & Zooey" by Salinger

Now there's a book I should have included on the "Worst book I've ever finished" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Last couple of weeks I've read "Band of Brothers" again, and "Raiders" a book about the various elite squads, like the SAS, of WW2 and a few of their adventures, "Baralong" about the WW1 scandal where a U-Boat was 'illegaly' sunk and "Stealth at Sea" a history of submarines, with loads about their use during the wars.

And "The Maltese Falcon"; this book is too good, everyone should read it.

This week it's: "IBM and the Holocaust"... it's a daunting read (no, really, it's huge and is so well researched that nearly every line has a reference!) but more importantly it's such a shocking read, I never knew how involved they were in Nazi Germany, and how meticulously and efficiently the holocaust was executed(I guess, like most people I never thought about it before, I just accepted it happened and was bad).

And, for IBM at least, it was ALL FOR MONEY.

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just finished - The Grapes of Wrath and Murder (Short Stories) by Steinbeck
    Starting - A Home at the End of the World - Michael Cunningham - no idea what to expect here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just finished Night Falls by Nelson DeMille. Without spoiling anything, the ending could be seen coming a mile off (considering the book was written in 2004 - those who've read the book will know what I mean). I hated the non-resolution of the main story though, very frustrating after the first 95% of it was definitely above average.

Thats 2 disappointing books in a row by him now (Up Country was awful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Naked Lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

Just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, which was nice.

Have now started Single & Single by John Le Carré.

Sebald's Rings of Saturn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

(Always hear about them, never read. Spotted them in a bookshop other day)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just started "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. Looks to be fairly standard Hiaasen fare so far, so that means there'll be a few implausibly gruesome deaths before the end of it but entertaining nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just finished "Angels and Demons" and "Deception Point" in the last few days. I thought that I may as well read them.

Now, I'm thinking that "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud" be next

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement