Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zaph wrote:
    Just started "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. Looks to be fairly standard Hiaasen fare so far, so that means there'll be a few implausibly gruesome deaths before the end of it but entertaining nonetheless.
    I have started reading my first Carl Hiaasen book, Sick Puppy.

Hope it's good. Started off OK anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

After reading a few Carl Hiaasen books you pretty much know what to expect, but they're all quite entertaining. If you've been unfortunate enough to have seen the Demi Moore film "Striptease", check out the book of the same name, it's infinitely better. So far it's the only Hiaasen book to be made into a film, as far as I know, but they made such a balls of it it might be a while before anyone tries another of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Halfway through Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. Followed the whole series thus far and have been very impressed.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zaph wrote:
    After reading a few Carl Hiaasen books you pretty much know what to expect, but they're all quite entertaining. If you've been unfortunate enough to have seen the Demi Moore film "Striptease", check out the book of the same name, it's infinitely better. So far it's the only Hiaasen book to be made into a film, as far as I know, but they made such a balls of it it might be a while before anyone tries another of his books.
    OK, thanks for that. I'll see what I think when I've finished Sick Puppy, and if I likes, I might try and get my hands on Striptease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Living to Tell the Tale - Gabriel García Marquez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Just finishing HP & the Prisoner of Azkhaban ... I've started reading the Paris Option again 'cause I put it down half way through & forget where I was!!

I also reading Clive Cussler's the Golden Buddha ... usually I can get into his books straight from the off, but I'm finding this one very hard going :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

theCzar wrote:
    started the Golden Buddha by Clive Cussler. So far it's really awful. really really awful but i'll finish it dammit and dig up that old "worst book you've ever finished thread"

I completely agree ... there seems to be too many characters running aroound in it & the story although an interesting concept is so badly written I fear it might beat me as one of the only books I've never purposely finished :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. A cracking read IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

A strange one this, but an enjoyable read nonetheless

http://simonofspace.blogspot.com/

as each "episode" is added each day it's like a strange hybrid of novel and soap.

A friend recommended this to me and now I'm hooked - you should take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Altered Carbon , Richard Morgan

Sci-fi , some interesting concepts, very violent, amazing shiny cover and a good read for a first published novel (if you like that sort of thing).

Just finished my fourth Neal Stephenson book in a row, after the Baroque cycle I went back to the Cryptonomicon which I thought was a great read, good story, good english, great mix of history / technology / drama etc. I love it when you find an author that you can really get into, only to find myself pished off when I've finished reading everything they've done, c'est la vie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    I completely agree ... there seems to be too many characters running aroound in it & the story although an interesting concept is so badly written I fear it might beat me as one of the only books I've never purposely finished :mad:

I finished it, and i did dig up the "worst book you've ever finished thread", but it wasn't worth it. Incredibly, the book got worse and worse and worse until my fists were clenched in rage at the very awfulness of it.

Moving on though, I'm reading another Clive Cussler :rolleyes: but this ones much better as it doesn't have that Dirgo fellow writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, which I really enjoyed, and am about to start The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (3rd Wheel of Time). Bit of a contrast, I know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson very enjoyable so far and very well put together especially the jumping from one time period to another, very funny in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Ulysses - Joyce. 3rd attempt, well not attempt I have read it before and (thought) I enjoyed it. But I've had quite an animated conversation with some random in a pub who was talking about Ulysses and I was slightly confused so either Im not getting it or e was on a drunken rant (he was drunk at the time, mind). Imreading now purely outta wonderment!

Swithching between above and Dubliners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Ireland by Frank Delaney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Michael.J.Fox - Lucky Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson very enjoyable so far and very well put together especially the jumping from one time period to another, very funny in parts.

I finished a book of his (Quicksilver) a while ago. He has a very interesting style/technique. Definitly going to read more of his.

At the moment I'm reading "The Castle" by Kafka. Only started but it's got my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A Heinlein

I'd forgotten what a brilliant author he was - most modern authors come up short compared to him. Off to hunt some more of his down.

I'm reading my third Clive Cussler in a row, Sahara this time, the one from the movie. standard Cussler fare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the silmarillion-again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

finished Half Blood Prince last week (well written, ultimately forgettable, bring on book 7)

Also been working my way through my fav pratchett's again, Truth, Interesting Time, Night Watch, Jingo, Fifth Elephant.

planning on starting Joe Heller's Something Happened.... Again, someday i'll get right the way through it.

Also thinking of starting Dark Tower series, or some of Feist's works, of which i've read none.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

reading that new hp book now and lotr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Just finished the whole Harry Potter series (in semi-random order) again, and I'm planning to reread the Northern Lights trilogy - if I don't break down at the end of Amber Spyglass... Then, I'm going to make a start on my birthday and christmas books - two shelves of reading, all deep and philosophical... And scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

theCzar wrote:
    some of Feist's works, of which i've read none.

If you're goint to read Feist I'd recommend Magician, then the "of the Empire" series then the riftwar saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

1984 again. Great read but I seriously need to get out and purchase some new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Penultimate Truth - Philip K Dick

I'm quicly becoming a PK Dick fanatic, if only i could find more of the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Last week I read the Da Vinci Code for the first time. Now I like clever books. But sure, tis crackin'. I've also learned to make a mental note to ignore anyone who's trying to disparage it if a) they haven't read it and b) they're presently reading a book from a series which won the Smarties Gold Award Ages 9-11.

Now on Also Sprach Zarathustra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

In German, or in English? I started that, then got distracted by something - probably a shiny bit of metal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just finished re-reading Around Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks. Great laugh if you haven't read it. About to start Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement