Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I just bought "The Big Over-Easy" by Jasper Fforde,its the 5th book in the Thurday next series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The Double - Jose Saramago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

The Twenty-Seventh City - Jonathon Frantzen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Philip Pullman - Tiger in the Well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

John2 wrote:
    Philip Pullman - Tiger in the Well
    Is that a new one? Whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Dante Club - It's alright not as much fun as the Da Vinci Code but still good fun. It's more suited to the erudite reader then The Da Vinci Code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Is that a new one? Whats it like?
    It's one of the Sally Lockhart series, written before His Dark Materials. Not as good as that series, but still pretty good.

supersheep wrote:
    It's one of the Sally Lockhart series, written before His Dark Materials. Not as good as that series, but still pretty good.

Yeah, it's the third one. I'm only two chapters into it but it's quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Force of Eagles" by Richard Herman Jnr. Good book so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

firmly reading Something Happened by Joe Heller, I... Will... Finish

actaully i'm enjoying it more this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

This week, I have mostly been reading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman... Finished them at one this morning, with a little tear in my eye... I find the ending to be one of the most poignant and romantic things I've ever read...
    EDIT: Woohoo, 100 posts! Not bad for someone who's only been here a week and a half...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Being a spammer's nothing to brag about supersheep :p

This week I'm reading Martin James' biography of Dave Grohl. It's well researched but the writing is a bit cut n' paste for my liking and there's a distinct lack of any involvement from Mr Grohl himself.

Book 5 of Amtrak Wars Death-Bringer (VERY COOL sci-fi series) I recommend the series to any post apocalyptic fans :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

reading scar tissue, autobiography of anthony kiedas, good read

Book 5 of Amtrak Wars Death-Bringer (VERY COOL sci-fi series) I recommend the series to any post apocalyptic fans :rolleyes:
    Hated that book - abosolutely destroyed one of my favourite quintets - its like the author got bored and tried to end everything in a hurry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

harry potter and the half-blood prince

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

echomadman wrote:
    I just bought "The Big Over-Easy" by Jasper Fforde,its the 5th book in the Thurday next series.

My mistake, its actually a new set of characters, and it was excellent, he really is comparable to pratchett for "make you laugh out loud" writing. I'd put him up on the podium with Douglas Adams and Pratchett any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Reading 'Waiting For Godalming' by Robert Rankin at the mo. The man's a genius. He never ceases to crack me up. I love the way the plot is incidental in most of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Reading 'Waiting For Godalming' by Robert Rankin at the mo. The man's a genius. He never ceases to crack me up. I love the way the plot is incidental in most of his books.

Rankin is totally certifiable , a great read , usually makes me laugh out loud at least one per book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Unfinished Tales - Tolkien.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Douglas Coupland's 'Eleanor Rigby', just started it so I'll save comment til later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

good book!

Hated that book - abosolutely destroyed one of my favourite quintets - its like the author got bored and tried to end everything in a hurry.
    Yes actually I noticed it did seem to begin "sprinting" through the story I think it was obvious from book 3 on that he would have never been able to write all the way to Talisman winning in less then 30 books at the rate he was going at; so I suppose he decided to simply shorten it up. It's a pity that in the last volume (Earth-Thunder) we never see the two kids strut their stuff; still very good ending it was a bit of a shock, very sad - like seeing James Bond lose!! :D

Right now I'm reading through Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist the sequel to Magician and.......it's not that fantastic to be honest. Magician didn't blow me away and its sequel isn't even keeping me interested :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

magician, silverthorn and the third one, darkness at sethanon are the best Feist books by far, if you don't like the first 2 spare yourself the trouble and don't buy any more ( like I do still, despite myself) .

Currently onto the Algrebraist by Iain banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

"How I live now" by Meg Rosoff.....Great book.

growler wrote:
    magician, silverthorn and the third one, darkness at sethanon are the best Feist books by far, if you don't like the first 2 spare yourself the trouble and don't buy any more ( like I do still, despite myself).
    I'm not buying, I'm a library person myself. I've finished Silverthorn so I'll have to get Seth just to finish the series. They are THE BEST he has ever written? I'm not impressed but they still were enjoyable reads so far just not worth buying.

I'm reading through another sequel right now Speaker For The Dead by Orson S. Card and it's far better then the first in the series Ender's Game which I found a bit dull and lacking in interesting plots but SFTD is much more enjoyable, like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Kurt Vonnegut-Cat's Cradle
    Philip K. Dick-The Penultimate Truth

They are THE BEST he has ever written? I'm not impressed but they still were enjoyable reads so far just not worth buying.
    Faery Tale (non-midkemia setting) is one of his best imo much darker than anything else he has done. Serpent War series is good but goes on too long.

Also try the companion books by Janny Wurts - Servant & Mistress of Empire. Whilst we're on the subject of Janny Wurts - To Ride Hells Chasm is probably her best - along with Cycle of Fire.

Big fan of most of her books up to Alliance of Light which I thought was the most un disciplined and badly edited books I have ever read. Boycotting that series. ;)

• Advertisement

I have Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse sitting up by my bed waiting to be started.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement