Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should convicted rapists be castrated

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

what is a rapist gene, I never heard that it can be passed on by the genes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

For all of you posting about de-sexing or the capital punishment of rapists back it up with research.

Web Site Visitor Comment:
    In so-called civilized societies we do not remove body parts for either punishment or rehabilitation. Not even in the case of mass murder. As Dorothy Marker has pointed out, if you de-sex a rapist, they may just find other, possibly more horrible ways and means of committing assaults.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION:
    Do you honestly think that castration would eliminate all possibilities of a repeat sex offender victimizing other people? There are endless ways to victimize that don't require the ability to have sexual intercourse.

Our Response:
    You need to read "A Brief History of Castration", and to continue to follow this site and its links.

Response from Victor Cheney:
    It is important to note that:
    There was ZERO (-0-) recidivism in Sturup's research and report of rapists who were castrated. To us, this speaks louder than all the feminist theories of power, control and dominance. We have laid our cards on the table! This is what you have responded to. Where is your data to substantiate your response listed above? Oh, you had better check the recent legislation in California and Georgia, and impending legislation in Maine and Texas, and a host of states who are rapidly considering castration as a proven-effective alternative treatment (and not a punishment) for repeat sex offenders, unless you have a better solution. We have had a host of so-called experts make the same claims you have in a host of cases, but none have ever been able to furnish us with "hard data" or examples of the use of foreign objects after castration.

Feel free to do some research for an Israeli paper on chemical castration that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You can't think of it? then it must not exist! DYOR! " can't think of anywhere the death penalty or brutal punishments work as a deterrent"
    The point I was making was it didn't seem to be a very good deterrent. The fact that they still have to do it would, to me, prove that it is not a very good deterrent.

Besides, MrNuked stated that it would act as a deterrent. It is up to him to support this statement.

Oh and you have proved yourself to be a bit of a hypocrite by trying to give me –ve rep for posting an opposing view.

MrP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

test999 wrote:
    I just got negative reputation from "Fysh"...

From Fysh=What next, will you identify the rapist gene? Rape is an act committed by an individual. It isn't necessarily easy, but they can be re-conditioned not to do it. If they can't, I'd argue there's a mental deficiency involved at some stage.

Is that how the reputation system works? some child who doesn't like my position on a topic so they lash out and manically click the neg rep button?

I could point out to you Fysh, that your question about identifying the gene is supercilous and I could give you negative rep, but I'll be grown up about it (not to mention that my rep has no weight)

Rapists cannot be reconditioned like a faulty PC, so you'd argue there is a mental deficiency...
    So, ho hum, rapists (very bad people that they are) couldn't possibly exist in a perfectly healthy way? What do you base that argument upon???????

Ok, I didn't really want to get into this thread because this sort of topic always attracts some hysterical responses. However:

before we really get into this, show me some respected research that shows that rapists irrefutably cannot be reconditioned. Then we'll talk.

I hesitate to even ask how you can suggest that rapists can exist in "a perfectly healthy way", on the grounds that the psychological mindset required to commit rape can't reasonably be considered healthy, particularly not if there's any understanding of the repercussions and aftermath of being subjected to such an assault. However, if you want to explain it rationally go ahead. Being found to be "of sound mind" is used in court cases to prove that the rapist knew what he was doing - I don't equate that with mental health, it just means that they were aware of their actions. At this point, therapy of some sort would be needed as well as a prison sentence if we were genuinely interested in preventing crime reoccurence through rehabilitation. Removing the means to carry out the crime is a poor substitute for removing the drive to commit it in the first place, imo.

And, for the record, I sent you negative rep because I happen to strongly disagree with your post and think that you aren't exactly aiding the cause of either preventing future rapes or protecting the interests of past victims and helping them rebuild their lives with your statements and suggestions. Not sure if you've noticed the many threads about reputation out there, but that's how a lot of people use it. But here I am now, doomed to lose time to a thread and discussion I don't see either of us realistically getting anything much out of....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you can rest assured that any potential rapists on boards are getting a good laugh out of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Mordeth wrote:
    you can rest assured that any potential rapists on boards are getting a good laugh out of it
    I am now inclined to think this thread should have included the sub-title "clinical analysis only". This thread will make anyone with an emmotional link with rape incandescent with rage by default imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I think that this thread had been hijacked by people who meerly wish to have a slagging match. Which is surely not the point of the thread at all. If people want to fight, I motion that they keep it to P.Ms or just use another thread and get banned for it.

Grow up already :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

Fysh wrote:
    Ok, I didn't really want to get into this thread because this sort of topic always attracts some hysterical responses. However:

before we really get into this, show me some respected research that shows that rapists irrefutably cannot be reconditioned. Then we'll talk.

I hesitate to even ask how you can suggest that rapists can exist in "a perfectly healthy way", on the grounds that the psychological mindset required to commit rape can't reasonably be considered healthy, particularly not if there's any understanding of the repercussions and aftermath of being subjected to such an assault. However, if you want to explain it rationally go ahead. Being found to be "of sound mind" is used in court cases to prove that the rapist knew what he was doing - I don't equate that with mental health, it just means that they were aware of their actions. At this point, therapy of some sort would be needed as well as a prison sentence if we were genuinely interested in preventing crime reoccurence through rehabilitation. Removing the means to carry out the crime is a poor substitute for removing the drive to commit it in the first place, imo.

And, for the record, I sent you negative rep because I happen to strongly disagree with your post and think that you aren't exactly aiding the cause of either preventing future rapes or protecting the interests of past victims and helping them rebuild their lives with your statements and suggestions. Not sure if you've noticed the many threads about reputation out there, but that's how a lot of people use it. But here I am now, doomed to lose time to a thread and discussion I don't see either of us realistically getting anything much out of....

Dream on if you think I'm reading that pile of...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

test999 wrote:
    Dream on if you think I'm reading that pile of...

So much for any actual discussion. Silly me...

Mordeth - I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Care to elaborate at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

this thread is dead, and upsetting. nobody can sau for definite that a rapist cant change, this thread is full of generalisations with little to back anything up.

pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Yeah this thread is dead. Have to agree with Silent_Grape. I can see no great insights being posted here, just mainly more crap that is unfounded opinion from those never directly affected, and emotional ranting that probably just stirs up the sh1t-head opinions in the first place.

this has moved well passed the original debate, and no-one will ever agree.

there are lots of trolls appearing,and people posting then thinking,

i move that the trollers be punished - or that the thread be locked

just a thought- the excuses made for the perps in the limerick case were that

1)no room for them in secondary school
    (leading to boredom,low self esteem blah blah blah)
    2)disadvantaged area

so they pretty much got away with it because they were dirty scum,who did it for kicks. excuses-especially stupid ones like those- don't mean anything to the perpees, the law needs to change so that the perpee gets looked after and protected- before the perp. im not saying leave the perps to rot- but why are they given preference over the people they hurt? its highly unfair. we need a new system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

this has moved well passed the original debate, and no-one will ever agree.

there are lots of trolls appearing,and people posting then thinking,

i move that the trollers be punished - or that the thread be locked

just a thought- the excuses made for the perps in the limerick case were that

1)no room for them in secondary school
    (leading to boredom,low self esteem blah blah blah)
    2)disadvantaged area

so they pretty much got away with it because they were dirty scum,who did it for kicks. excuses-especially stupid ones like those- don't mean anything to the perpees, the law needs to change so that the perpee gets looked after and protected- before the perp. im not saying leave the perps to rot- but why are they given preference over the people they hurt? its highly unfair. we need a new system
    Yeah tis just like up the road from me. a fella bet another fella into a state of vegetable and got free legal aid coz he's on the dole.... despite the fact he owns a large house and drives an 04 jeep. Oh what justice there is !

exactly this country is slowly dying becaus eof the bleding hearts who think scum like this "don't know any better"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fern

in a word yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement