Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

smccarrick wrote: »
    Legally in the UK- you cannot tax a car, unless its insured.

I know but garages can tax a car before they sell it. It'd be insured under their own fleet insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I know but garages can tax a car before they sell it. It'd be insured under their own fleet insurance.

My understanding is that the cars whilst owned by the garage are driven on the road with the use of Trade Plates. This will not apply when I take over the car. The tax I need is the normal road tax.

Leeside wrote: »
    My understanding is that the cars whilst owned by the garage are driven on the road with the use of Trade Plates. This will not apply when I take over the car. The tax I need is the normal road tax.

I know, the garage can get this for you. You don't need to show them an insurance cert.

EDIT: if the garage are playing silly buggers and continue to claim they can't tax the car for you, and if you really really want to buy UK car tax, consider using this:
    http://www.aviva.co.uk/driveaway/

It's 7 days free insurance cover. A cover note is emailed immediately which you can use to tax at a post office. The insurance is free. UK address required (can be random - all you want is a cover note to enable to you buy car tax - you're not actually going to use the insurance).

Although as I said before, if it were me I'd just drive it untaxed to the port. UK car tax isn't cheap, and the shortest you can buy is 6 months. And considering you'll only be using the car in the UK for a day.. (still, 5 months can be refunded later, upon application).

Thats very helpful Kotek. The garage gave me a phone no to ring a few days ago -not the above one - but like you said it was for UK residents only. When I said, I wasn't a UK resident the cover could not be given. I don't like the idea of giving a random address.

I don't mind driving the car to the ferry without tax but the garage want it taxed before releasing it. They want to comply with all legal aspects!

but the garage want it taxed before releasing it. They want to comply with all legal aspects!

Me thinks said garage doesn't know what they're doing. Don't know how to tax a car for a customer, think it's illegal to sell a car if it's not taxed..

..you sure you want to buy from them?

• Advertisement

Me thinks said garage doesn't know what they're doing. Don't know how to tax a car for a customer, think it's illegal to sell a car if it's not taxed..

..you sure you want to buy from them?

Maybe you're right. I know it can be done online where obviously you don't need a cert - just policy details. Is this what you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Just bought a car in UK last weekend. The dealer taxed the car and we went to the car tax place with him. The DVLA need to see proof of insurance in the tax office and we just brought the insurance letter with us.

Maybe you're right. I know it can be done online where obviously you don't need a cert - just policy details. Is this what you're referring to?

No, if an individual taxes a UK registered car online, there must be a live insurance policy registered in the MID (Motor Insurance Database).

What I'm referring to is the ability for a motor dealer to tax a car which is currently under his ownership, and so insured under his company insurance, before selling the car to the customer - hence already taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got my car today from the UK.
    Needed Insurance cover note emailed to garage from my brokers so they would tax it.

If that couldnt be arranged then they would offer 7 days free insurance with a company in England.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got my car today from the UK.
    Needed Insurance cover note emailed to garage from my brokers so they would tax it.

If that couldnt be arranged then they would offer 7 days free insurance with a company in England.

How did you overcome the problem of the UK resident condition for the 7 day free insurance?

• Advertisement

They said they would register the company address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Id just drive it on and take the risk. Ive brought a good few cars in from the uk over the years and rarely have they had tax, I was stopped once or twice and when I explained I was heading to the ferry they just left me off.

Un nessecary expense I think!!

You can claim it back from the DVLA anyway. The garage didnt want me to be driving off without any tax thats all.

At least for the peace of mind, it was worth it. And the police at the ferry were so friendly asking where I bought it and said it was such a great car. The lady working for teh port took down the name of garage.

Would recommend buying from Oldham Motors, ask for Les or Steve!

The garage didnt want me to be driving off without any tax thats all.
    I'm sure they meant well, but it's not really any of their business though..

Yeah they meant well, which is a surprise coming from visiting (most)dealers here in Ireland who couldnt give a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Quick question lads.

Have paid the deposit on a car on Manchester. My uncle has already gone down and checked it out etc and tested it, and he said its great. I trust his opinion on the car so, would it be possible for the dealer to just put the car on a ferry for me? And I could collect it in Dublin? Or will I definitely have to go over and drive it on myself?

Nice one,
    Anto.

Quick question lads.

Have paid the deposit on a car on Manchester. My uncle has already gone down and checked it out etc and tested it, and he said its great. I trust his opinion on the car so, would it be possible for the dealer to just put the car on a ferry for me? And I could collect it in Dublin? Or will I definitely have to go over and drive it on myself?

Nice one,
    Anto.

No I don't think so. There might be a company who might facilitate collection, transportation and delivery of the car from the dealership in the UK to you in Ireland, but you might find that it's cheaper and not much more hassle for you to just go and get it yourself.

No I don't think so. There might be a company who might facilitate collection, transportation and delivery of the car from the dealership in the UK to you in Ireland, but you might find that it's cheaper and not much more hassle for you to just go and get it yourself.

Cheers mate.

Reckon I'll just head over so! :D

Some garages offer free delivery to anywhere in UK - they can drop the car off at the ferry and then you can pay freight charges and pick up your car at the port in Ireland. But I would recommend you going over for it, just to see how stress-free driving in the UK is

Some garages offer free delivery to anywhere in UK - they can drop the car off at the ferry and then you can pay freight charges and pick up your car at the port in Ireland. But I would recommend you going over for it, just to see how stress-free driving in the UK is

:D

I'm kind of a bit nervous about driving over there! We'll see how it goes sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could get them to deliver it to the UK-side ferry, and pick it up there yourself.

Not your ornery onager

:D

I'm kind of a bit nervous about driving over there! We'll see how it goes sure!

Dont be - its much easier than you think. Piece of pee compared to driving here. Just remember when driving on DC's and Motorways to keep to the left as much as possible and only use overtaking lane when you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dont be - its much easier than you think. Piece of pee compared to driving here. Just remember when driving on DC's and Motorways to keep to the left as much as possible and only use overtaking lane when you need to overtake.
    FYP. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I bought my car from cargiant.co.uk, all ex-lease cars usually with full service history. I test drove mine and it had 3 months tax left on the disc and half a tank of petrol ....
    BUT when I collected it after paying for it, the car tax had been taken (they can surrender and claim however many months are left on it) and the petrol gauge was bouncing off the needle.

In the UK you can do you car tax online ... the MOT on the car must be current and all (I think) insurers are in the MIB database. My 2litre petrol accord costs £197 for 12 months tax. When I go to the car tax website and enter the number off the car tax reminder it says there and then if your insurance and MOT are valid and then asks for the V5 reference number, then you credit/debit card number and you get your disc in 2 or 3 working days.

Thanks esel.

Some cars dont require MOT if they arent old enough for one :)

esel wrote: »
    You could get them to deliver it to the UK-side ferry, and pick it up there yourself.

Now that might be an idea. You mean like, have them deliver it to Holyhead? Then the buyer goes over as a foot passenger, collects car, back on the ferry with it?

That could work. Just have to find out have much the seller would charge for delivery to Holyhead (or whichever port).

Did a good bit of research online regarding the type of car I wanted, checked loads of sites but mostly I used www.usedcarsni.com and www.autotrader.co.uk

Saw a car I was interested in and did an AA data check on it. All checked out okay. Called the dealer and asked a few questions that werent really answered on data check but once you get data check done you are sorted. Asked if they would mind if i got a Vehicle inspection carried out. They said no problem but didnt think it was worth it for the age of the vehicle (58) and relatively low mileage (20k). Needed to put down a deposit on the car, however they didnt charge this to my card until the aa inspection was carried out.

Would really recommend if you are buying a car to get this done. I bought the comprehensive check and was really impressed with the amount of detail that goes into it. The engineer was top notch, called me and emailed with the report. Said if I needed to talk to him about anything to call him. I had a few questions and rang him the next day, was very friendly and so helpful in terms of the inspection he carried out.

Next thing I called the dealer and said I would like to make an offer after the inspection was done and fix up a few things that the AA engineer had suggested I follow up with. Didnt get much off the car as it was in pristine condition and the cheapest on the internet as far I could see. Deposit charged.

Booked flights and ferry for same day return. Told the garage I would arriving in the morning and they said they would get the car ready. Full Valet carried out on the car and they serviced it regardless of whether a service had been carried out on the car. They checked the HPI etc as soon as it was on their forecourt, but I had this already worked out for my own peace of mind.

Left Limerick about 5.15 am to drive to Dublin (father came with me). Got 9.30 am dub to man one way. And got a taxi to dealership in Oldham, 30 min journey. Met up with the dealer, welcomed with open arms (unlike most places here). Salesman shook our hands, offered us cup of tea/coffee and his sales manager also came out to greet us. It was one of the most pleasant dealings I have ever had with a dealership. We had to wait for my brokers to send insurance cover note so they could tax the car and also to make sure we were covered on the drive back. Stayed at the garage for about two hours, and even though it was busy, the salesman stayed with us the whole time. When it came to it, the dealer didnt really know what to do with the V5 even though I assured him that I needed to take the whole form back with me. A quick phone call to the DVLA confirmed my assurances. When I checked the car it was spotless and even smelled like a new car. We left the dealership with the best of wishes from the sales staff and made our way to Holyhead to make the 17:15 ferry crossing to Dublin.

The roads are perfect in the UK, really helped that the weather was perfect too, the scenery along the welsh coast is amazing. Plus the added benefit of driving with people that actually knew how to drive was great.

Made it to ferry, no hassle at all with the Customs/Police officers, and even asked us about where I had purchased it etc, and commented on what a beautiful car it was. (i find myself saying well wear as I have heard it about a million times since i got back)

Made it back into Dublin for about 19.05. Went for a bit of grub and then back on the road to Limerick, made it home roughly 23.30.

The next day I went into the VRO, who very helpful and enquired as to how i got on and were amazed I did it all in one day (as they said they get a lot of people in there who arent the one bit organised). They used the quote from the vrt calculator same as the one most of us use, and they didnt even go out to check the car which completely surprised me. Got my RF100 and my new licence plate, got two plates done for 20 euro. Screwed them on fairly handy. The VRO official told me I could tax my car the following day, that day being today, and its taxed now. All in all not bad for a few days work.

Here is the car:

24708_389785993383_623843383_4872144_7729368_n.jpg

If anyone is looking to buy a car in the UK then I would recommend this dealership. Ask for Steve Coffey. http://www.motorparks.co.uk/index.jsp?dealer=Oldham%20Motors%20Fiat%20and%20Volvo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Good write up....

Questions for you if you dont mind...
    Did you go though this whole thing just to get a model not sold in Ireland or was it for monetary reasons.

If you did do it to save money, did all the work deliver savings? (taking in VRT, travel costs etc etc etc)

Dont mind at all. Will definitely be buying my next car in the UK too if conditions are still good when it comes to it.

The model sold here is in the pic so it was for monetary reasons. working out cheaper with a better spec than what you would get here.

Yep I think I made a saving of 3-4k

And my father is thinking about buying in the UK too, so impressed he was with the prices/customer care/ease of whole process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Dont mind at all. Will definitely be buying my next car in the UK too if conditions are still good when it comes to it.

The model sold here is in the pic so it was for monetary reasons. working out cheaper with a better spec than what you would get here.

Yep I think I made a saving of 3-4k

And my father is thinking about buying in the UK too, so impressed he was with the prices/customer care/ease of whole process

Give us the figures, Model Price & VRT ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement