Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 medelina

I brought in a second hand BMW a number of years back and that is what I was told, however when I paid for warranty work here (which I did) BMW UK reimbursed me. You don't have to do that with BMW here anymore. I would have thought any warranty from an authorised dealer would cover you anywhere in Europe.

Interesting. I’ll have a think about the car a bit more, and get onto them to see if they could do something like that. I wouldn’t mind not having a warranty on a cheaper car, but if you’re paying dealership prices, you want dealership security.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Seperately:

The AA will NOT provide Rescue Plus when:

-The AA is able to arrange a repair by a patrol or garage on the same day as the breakdown occurred.

Wait until 9-10PM at night to get around this clause?

feck, I didn't realise that there was so many terms and conditions with it. I must look it up more. The only time I needed a tow of them they brought it out to my local place that I requested, even though there was nearer garages. That said it was only about 20 miles from my local spot, might be a different story if it was 200 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I would have thought any warranty from an authorised dealer would cover you anywhere in Europe.

First 2 years of warranty, on a UK car, are EU wide.
    Third year is UK dealer-wide only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

benifa wrote: »
    First 2 years of warranty, on a UK car, are EU wide.
    Third year is UK dealer-wide only.

Indeed, but mine was a 1 year warranty from a BMW dealer on a second hand BMW. BMW UK reimbursed my for warranty work, that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Indeed, but mine was a 1 year warranty from a BMW dealer on a second hand BMW. BMW UK reimbursed my for warranty work, that was my point.

Oh I see, sorry.

• Advertisement

just to give an update. I talked to the garage and there was no way I could convince them to cover me through reimbursment etc. They said as soon as the car was re-registered to Irish plates, it would not be covered, not even in NI. That's within their rights, but they ain't getting my money. If I want no warranty, I'll buy private.

Anyway, I got more info and started getting a bad feeling about the car as it had a bit too much wear and tear on it for a car with low mileage. So no loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Redbarn

Emigrated a few months ago took the car with me. Want to register this same car in the Netherlands. Need some form of customs clearance form from Ireland before I can start the procedure. Can't find the relevant website or contact, can anyone point me in the right direction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try a search on www.revenue.ie ?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

Can anyone tell me how long the VRC takes to get sent out after you pay the vrt? im waiting over two weeks now and still no sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Have you taxed the car? You won't get the VLC without taxing it for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

do they not send out a temporary vlc to initially tax the car for the first time? And then send you out the permanent vlc.. No i haven taxed the car yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

retenzo12 wrote: »
    do they not send out a temporary vlc to initially tax the car for the first time? And then send you out the permanent vlc.. No i haven taxed the car yet..

Nope, you have to tax it first to get a VLC.

Two ways of doing it. You can go online to www.motortax.ie and enter your new registration and the pin code will be the last 6 digits of the cars VIN.

Otherwise you need to get a form from the local tax office and manually fill in all the details and tax it that way. (Think the form is RF101).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

"Motor tax will be charged for all new cars and pre-owned imported cars with effect from 1 July 2008. From that date, motor tax on these cars will be determined solely on the basis of the CO2 emissions."

Apologies but after good bit of searching I'm still none the wiser.
    If I import a 2005 car, will be motor tax be based on the CO2 emissions?

E.g
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GT-TDI-1/200931194757916/advert?channel=CARS

"The car benefits from a low CO2 rating therefore reducing the tax bracket."

Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Hi Folks,
    Quick Q.
    My brother is moving home from UK and wants to bring his 2007 4x4 home with him. What are the prcedures and will he have to pay VRT?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I think the procedures are that he has to show evidence that he's been running the car there in his ownership for a min of 6 months & would also have to show evidence of living in the UK during that period, all the info is on the revenue site.
    If he qualifies then the vehicle is exempt from VRT.
    You can only do this once every 5 years IIRC.

^ Also, be aware that being abroad as a student does not qualify for Ttransfer of Residence exemption (just in case he is one).
    "Motor tax will be charged for all new cars and pre-owned imported cars with effect from 1 July 2008. From that date, motor tax on these cars will be determined solely on the basis of the CO2 emissions."

Apologies but after good bit of searching I'm still none the wiser.
    If I import a 2005 car, will be motor tax be based on the CO2 emissions?

E.g
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GT-TDI-1/200931194757916/advert?channel=CARS

"The car benefits from a low CO2 rating therefore reducing the tax bracket."

Is this correct?
    Only cars first registered from 2008 on qualify for CO2 tax rates.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 heywood100

Folks,

There is an Irish company that imports new UK cars to Ireland that offer big savings.

They had Navara's at about 16K

Anyone know the name of the site/business?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Thanks Robertr for your info?

Can you please recommended a good car dealer in the UK that you used.

Regards

Bo-jangles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roonster

guys sorry to butt in....looking at importimg from uk...320d m coupe..what would be considered high mileage on a 08? is 29k miles alot?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

29k miles seems pretty high, would depend a bit on what month it was registered I guess. Of course it's allowed for in the price no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roonster

thanks price is a bit lower but think i will wait for one with lrss miles

roonster wrote: »
    guys sorry to butt in....looking at importimg from uk...320d m coupe..what would be considered high mileage on a 08? is 29k miles alot?
    Better to buy one with 29K genuine mileage rather than one with 60K+ clocked to 15K though.... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

esel wrote: »
    Better to buy one with 29K genuine mileage rather than one with 60K+ clocked to 15K though.... :eek:

Big time.
    Also its a diesel coupe- the sort of car they give the long distances sales reps. I wouldn't necessarily read anything untowarth into the high mileage. 30k might be high for 12-18 months driving- but its not totally unreasonable. There is still manufacturer's warranty on the vehicle- and if it has a full main dealership service record, new pads, tyres etc- at an attractive price- I'd be inclined to look favourably at it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

ive read on the revenue website that it is possible to post in your v5, invoice and draft for amount payable to vrt your imported used car

has anyone done this and is it as straightforward as that?

might they ask that you bring in the car so they can inspect it, thus meaning i would essentially be wasting my time posting in the docs, and should just arrive in early in the morning to sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

One or two Q's.

I'm changing over my car to Irish plates and I want to know if I'll get any reduction in VRT because my car has a fair few scratches and one or two dents. Also the drivers door is sagging a bit and doesnt shut completely.

Now I may have may have made my car sound like a banger but it drives like dream and I've never had a problem with it.

Oh, one other thing is I dont have the V5 document as I exported from Northern Ireland to the UK but I do have the export form with all the details on it about my car. Will that do to change it over?

It's a 2001-Seat Leon-1.4 16V-27500miles.

My VRT quote came to €579.00 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Hey guys, quick question.

I'm going to import a 1981 Porsche 924 this week and have a question about the VRT. First off, my car isnt listed on the VRT Calculator so I cant get a quote online. As its a 2.0L Petrol, I'll probably have to pay the full 36% as back in the 80s, low emissions weren't exactly a priority. When I rang them up they said they couldn't give me a quote on the phone as I'd need to give them the VIN because they'd need to have it checked.
    On the revenue website: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt1.html It shows a "Reduction in VRT when age is taken into account" table, but this is under the Motor-Cycles heading. Does this also apply to cars? Hopefully.
    Also, if I waited 2 years, could I register the car then and will I have to pay any VRT as the car would be 30 years old?

Thanks.

To qualify for the 30 year rule- you cannot purchase and bring the car into the country until it is 30 years of age. Once you bring it into the country you have to register it within 48 hours, they may give you a little leeway- but it would be a day or two- not months, or years...... The age related VRT deduction- is for classic motorcycles- and been brilliant- the number of clubs with classic collectors has soared (admittedly- most of the members aren't your archetypal motorcyclists- but hey, who cares).

You can't buy the car and then hang off on registering it for 2 years (unless you plan on storing it outside of the country- and even then you'd need to organise UK offroad certs etc- its a pain in the arse- not to mention storage costs........)

Ah, right. So then whats the story with all these guys (not Companies) selling UK-reg cars in Ireland? When the buyer goes to register it, how do the Revenue know if the guy who originally imported it imported it that year, or last year, which would mean the unsuspecting buyer would have to pay more VRT than they anticipated?

a_v525 wrote: »
    Ah, right. So then whats the story with all these guys (not Companies) selling UK-reg cars in Ireland? When the buyer goes to register it, how do the Revenue know if the guy who originally imported it imported it that year, or last year, which would mean the unsuspecting buyer would have to pay more VRT than they anticipated?

They can ask for proof of import (normally a ferry ticket) or in the case of a NI car- proof of valid UK roadtax and insurance on the date you are claiming to have imported it (or a valid off-road certificate). In the absence of these- they may impose penalties, fines, or impound the vehicle (though this is rare).

• Advertisement

Ah I see. But if the lad who bought from the original importer who never registered it, and he told the revenue official this, and he just had the v5 he got off the lad he bought the car from, how would they calculate the VRT?
    Just wondering because I see alot of adverts from people in the Republic selling northern registered cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement