Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

a_v525 wrote: »
    Ah I see. But if the lad who bought from the original importer who never registered it, and he told the revenue official this, and he just had the v5 he got off the lad he bought the car from, how would they calculate the VRT?
    Just wondering because I see alot of adverts from people in the Republic selling northern registered cars.

From date car first entered the country- subject to fines/penalties for late registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They don't care as long as they are getting the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Ah i see. Thanks alot. Sorry for all the questions, thanks for answering, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

a_v525 wrote: »
    Ah, right. So then whats the story with all these guys (not Companies) selling UK-reg cars in Ireland? When the buyer goes to register it, how do the Revenue know if the guy who originally imported it imported it that year, or last year, which would mean the unsuspecting buyer would have to pay more VRT than they anticipated?
    Anyone legally selling imported unregistered second-hand cars will be registered with Revenue, and should be able to provide their TAN no. if you request it. They should register the car for the purchaser and pay the VRT due (which they then recoup from the purchaser by including it in the sale price).

The others are cowboys.

[edit] The motorcycle VRT reduction system based on age applies to all motorcycles, not just 'classics'.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all, apologies if it sounds like a silly question (and the search engine is down).

If som many people are buying cars from the UK because of the great sterling rate, is it not easier to just go up North? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if it sounds like a silly question (and the search engine is down).

If som many people are buying cars from the UK because of the great sterling rate, is it not easier to just go up North? Am I missing something?

Think it's down to amount to choose from. A lot more cars on the mainland than in the North. Prices are generally lower on the Mainland than the North for that reason too.

Thanks for the response. The lack of the search option at the moment is a real nuisance. Is there a list of UK dealers that boardies have recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Is there a list of UK dealers that boardies have recommended?

Not sure, but I've bought from Motorpoint in Newport, South Wales before. Would buy from them again as my first choice.

It depends on the make and model.
    I bought a Volvo estate from a main dealership at Aldershot- it was a long drive back to Wales- but I'd happily deal with them again. My brother also got a similar model from the same dealer.

smccarrick wrote: »
    It depends on the make and model.
    I bought a Volvo estate from a main dealership at Aldershot- it was a long drive back to Wales- but I'd happily deal with them again. My brother also got a similar model from the same dealer.

Thanks all, I'd be looking for a 1-2 year old Focus/Mondeo or possibly a 3-4 year old BMW/Audi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hold fire all, saw a financial guru on the news today and he reckons the € will go to parity against the £ .......and not too soon either!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Hi Guys,

When thinking off going over to uk to buy a car.
    My biggest worry is whether to bring cash or draft.
    Like you cant ask dealer who should I make draft out to.
    Id be getting AA person to check out car too obviously, just thinking off bringing cash and bringing it over in one go.

How have ye guys gone about this?

BRs,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks all, I'd be looking for a 1-2 year old Focus/Mondeo or possibly a 3-4 year old BMW/Audi

You'd really want to be supporting your own economy and an Irish dealer, surely?

(Can't blame me for trying - 1 car could be the difference between a dealer being here next year or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    You'd really want to be supporting your own economy and an Irish dealer, surely?

(Can't blame me for trying - 1 car could be the difference between a dealer being here next year or not

God loves a trier....;)

Just some advise to anyone thinking of buying in the UK.

It would be a good idea to have a very hard look at what cars are on sale here, I'd be surprised if you couldnt get one at a similar price without the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Somewhat topical to the thread (and a looooong time since I checked it/posted in it), but I have a UK-first-reg'd, then IE-reg'd, now-UK-reg'd again Mk1 MX5 (1998 Mk1, amongst last 400 UK cars with pop-ups) that I'm thinking of parting ways with.

Car has been in our ownership before we first moved to Ireland, whilst we were in Ireland, and still to this day after we moved back to the UK (we're the second owner from new, for the last 9 years, bought in 2000 at 14k from the main dealer who sold it new to 1st owner, currently 54k fully-documented).

Statistical code for VRT calculator is 40687417. Would make importing very easy, as it's been on IE plates (we still have the actual plates) for a while and is therefore 'in the system'. Note that VRT was not paid (we were exempted because we owned it for over 6 month before IE-reg'ing it), so likely would be due.

...just an FYI ;) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Don't think the VRT would be due, seeing how its already been registered in the country. It would be the same as if you had sold it while you were living here. My brother had a Mondeo that he exported to the UK when he moved over. He brought it back here to sell it with no problems at all. Just threw on the old plates.

Throw it up on Adverts.ie and see how you get on. Plan on buying one myself in the next year or 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just some advise to anyone thinking of buying in the UK.

It would be a good idea to have a very hard look at what cars are on sale here, I'd be surprised if you couldnt get one at a similar price without the hassle.
    +1... Just bought second-hand and the savings to be had in the UK were so small as to make it a no-brainer to stay at home and save the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianonline

Just checked the exchange rate to convert sterling to euro as Im planning on buying a car in northern ireland. BOI quoted me .90 , double checked with currency.ie who offered .928, almost 300 euro cheaper than the bank.

have seen posts from others who have used currency.ie/transfermate.com, why are the banks so expensive?

why are the banks so expensive?

Banks are greedy. That's what they say anyway, but I don't believe 'em.

Because most people don't shop around- so they have no need to be competitive......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Has anyone used or heard of this place before:

Premier Fleet Autos

Looking at getting a new car and came across one that I like with these. The guy mentioned the car being in England and that if I like the look I pay a deposit for it to be shipped.

Just wondering has anyone any good/bad experiences with this method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Has anyone used or heard of this place before:

Premier Fleet Autos

Looking at getting a new car and came across one that I like with these. The guy mentioned the car being in England and that if I like the look I pay a deposit for it to be shipped.

Just wondering has anyone any good/bad experiences with this method?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62464861

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Thanks Tragedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

I was thinking of importing a used car soon from the UK. What is the story with the NCT? I mean Can I drive the car from the ferry to my house with no tax and no NCT on it (yet)?

tariqbutt wrote: »
    I was thinking of importing a used car soon from the UK. What is the story with the NCT? I mean Can I drive the car from the ferry to my house with no tax and no NCT on it (yet)?

Yes you can, but you have to VRT it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Called transfermate were offering over .91 today, bank offered .89, almost 400 euro cheaper than the bank. They are also issuing sterling atm cards according to the girl i spoke with but not until after christmas

Just checked the exchange rate to convert sterling to euro as Im planning on buying a car in northern ireland. BOI quoted me .90 , double checked with currency.ie who offered .928, almost 300 euro cheaper than the bank.

have seen posts from others who have used currency.ie/transfermate.com, why are the banks so expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

Hello,

I'm new here. I was working in the UK for the last 2 years, bought my car in February 2008, and have now moved back to Ireland, bringing my car over on the ferry last weekend.

I might need to sell the car here, so should I get it registered in Ireland? Will I have to pay VRT or any other tax on it? Do I have to live here for 12 months before I can sell it on here without incurring VRT tax? Its a VW Passat diesel 2003, 1.9tdi, 130 bhp comfortline, 72000 miles, well looked after. Any idea what I might get for it here?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
    The Bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought you resigned! :D Go to www.revenue.ie and search for 'Transfer of Residence'. That should get you the info you need.

Basically, you have to be transferring residence to the State (doh! :)); have to have proof of residence abroad (at least 6 months afair), proof of taking up residence here; have to have owned and used the vehicle abroad for at least 6 months, and you can't sell the vehicle here within 12 months of registering it.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

(Wasn't sure whether to put this on the scrappage or UK thread)

Does anyone know if the scrappage scheme, which seems to be VRT relief, only applies to Irish bought new cars.

I've checked the revenue FAQ http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-scrappage-scheme.html and it concentrates much more on the eligibility of the car to be scrapped than the car to be bought which is described as a "new passenger car with CO2 emissions of not more than 140g/km".

Since VRT is paid by Irish customers on privately bought UK cars whether new or second hand it would seem possible they could be covered as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Hello,

I'm new here. I was working in the UK for the last 2 years, bought my car in February 2008, and have now moved back to Ireland, bringing my car over on the ferry last weekend.

I might need to sell the car here, so should I get it registered in Ireland? Will I have to pay VRT or any other tax on it? Do I have to live here for 12 months before I can sell it on here without incurring VRT tax? Its a VW Passat diesel 2003, 1.9tdi, 130 bhp comfortline, 72000 miles, well looked after. Any idea what I might get for it here?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
    The Bishop.

pm me details on the car, including price I might know someone who would be interested in it....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement