Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lets say it came in under 13,000 euro with VRT included for 08 1.6TDCI ZETEC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mc Love wrote: »
    Lets say it came in under 13,000 euro with VRT included for 08 1.6TDCI Z-TECH

Zetec please Mc Love ;)

I knew you would pick up on that ha ha - but that garage on carzone still has it on there ad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bait, fishy, hooked :D

p.s. I think you've bought a lovely car there, well chosen, researched, and presented. How does it drive?

Such a difference than the Pug thats for sure. She is a lot more sturdy, more power and handling around corners is brill. Was going to get those 5 spoke ST alloys but in the few days I have her, those 8 spoke alloys have grown on me. They suit the car better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

She's a beauty, Mc Love. Great write-up, too!

Just for interest, you can send the VRT form, cheque and V5 by post to the VRO. It's not necessary to go there in person. That's what I did anyway. Posted it on the Monday, received the receipt / registration number on the Wednesday. Paid the motor tax and fixed the number plates immediately.

Thanks man! Did not know that about posting it in Kotek Bear. I was off that day and was just as easy (they werent busy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 livecall

I saw a few posts about using transfermate for making uk car payments and see they now have live charts for sterling euro exchange rates

http://www.transfermate.com/en/exchange_rates_table.asp?currency=EUR&curr_lim=GBP

does anyone have any thoughts on where sterling will go over the next month or so. I appreciate that its not crystal ball stuff but interested

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Looking at the graph anyway, I can't see Sterling going up, but wtf do I know.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 livecall

wtf, nice havent heard that abbrev before,
    from the graph sterling is clearly getting weaker but just not sure whether to convert now or wait

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

livecall wrote: »
    I saw a few posts about using transfermate for making uk car payments and see they now have live charts for sterling euro exchange rates

http://www.transfermate.com/en/exchange_rates_table.asp?currency=EUR&curr_lim=GBP

does anyone have any thoughts on where sterling will go over the next month or so. I appreciate that its not crystal ball stuff but interested

The Times and The Economist state that the current performance of sterling is as a result of investor fears of a hung parliament when the election comes round. These fears are going to increase- if the Tories lead lessens, and decrease if they get over their current difficulties.

Its only one factor, albeit a big one- draw your own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

smccarrick wrote: »
    The Times and The Economist state that the current performance of sterling is as a result of investor fears of a hung parliament when the election comes round. These fears are going to increase- if the Tories lead lessens, and decrease if they get over their current difficulties.

Its only one factor, albeit a big one- draw your own conclusions.

hung parliament hung parliament hung parliament oh please let there be a hung parliament :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Apparently sterling is on slide due to
    - 12% budget deficit
    - Fears of more quantitive easing (printing more money)
    - Fears it could lose AAA credit rating (this eased today)
    - Policy of devaluing the currency (weak sterling is good for exports)

My not expert opinion is it will weaken further but who knows really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Got my car tuesday! Drove from Manchester to Hollyhead and it was grand! Really enjoyed the drive!

So, am I right in saying I've to go and pay the VRT first, then change the plates, and then tax it?

And what do I do with regards to the MOT/NCT? IT's MOT'd til 01-11 like.

What year is it? You wont need an NCT unless its 4 years or older.

Yes go to VRT office, get your plate details and then tax and insure if you havent done already

Glad you enjoyed the drive - What did you buy?

Mc Love wrote: »
    What year is it? You wont need an NCT unless its 4 years or older.

Yes go to VRT office, get your plate details and then tax and insure if you havent done already

Glad you enjoyed the drive - What did you buy?

It's an 03, 1.3 Vauxhall Corsa CDTi SXi. Paid £2,600 for it. Couldn't find any ones over here in my price range that I actually liked so got that one in England.

I'll head in there tomorrow so! And yeah its insured :)

Yep you will to get NCT done unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

If you buy a car in the Uk with a current MOT, is the mot cert worth anything to the NCT people? i.e. is it transferrable?

It's an 03, 1.3 Vauxhall Corsa CDTi SXi. Paid £2,600 for it. Couldn't find any ones over here in my price range that I actually liked so got that one in England.

I'll head in there tomorrow so! And yeah its insured :)

How much is the VRT, out of interest?

dnme wrote: »
    If you buy a car in the Uk with a current MOT, is the mot cert worth anything to the NCT people? i.e. is it transferrable?

No, a UK MOT cert is worth nothing at all in Ireland.

How much is the VRT, out of interest

€372 I think

Edit: Could be €425, but I ain't sure which car on that list is mine :| There's two options for the CDTi SXi 3 door, one's 122g/km and the others 119g/km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys,

I just did a quick calculation based on a 2008 Toyota Auris. I priced one at £7999 on Car Giant
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Auris/results-Toyota-Auris.asp

The VRT calculator values the car at €21000 with a VRT of 3200.

So when I use transfermate to convert sterling and add VRT I am coming out at around €12500. But they are available on dondeal for the same price ????

Is the revenue valuation way too much?
    Are the cars on donedeal undervalued?
    Is it just not worth it atm? or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

dnme wrote: »
    Guys,

I just did a quick calculation based on a 2008 Toyota Auris. I priced one at £7999 on Car Giant
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Auris/results-Toyota-Auris.asp

The VRT calculator values the car at €21000 with a VRT of 3200.

So when I use transfermate to convert sterling and add VRT I am coming out at around €12500. But they are available on dondeal for the same price ????

Is the revenue valuation way too much?
    Are the cars on donedeal undervalued?
    Is it just not worth it atm? or am I missing something?

Yes its a ridiculous valuation from revenue. €12-13K looks about the real value. In reality your not going to make a massive saving going to the UK for this kind of car. Might be just as easy to deal with your local dealer and have some form of backup if anything goes wrong. Plus it's certainly less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can pay the VRT and then appeal. Apparently about 90% of appeals result in a partial refund. Search this thread for more info.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try and select a low emmission car to purchase as the VRT is emmission based to a large degree, autoquake has a handy emmission filter which will give you a hint on what are the low emmission cars and therefore lower VRT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hey ok so thinking about going the UK route again. Have sourced a car I really like. Only problem is that although it has about 5k miles on it was only first registered at the start of November 09.
    So by that reckoning it's due for VAT on import as not 6 months old.

What's my options here? Can I purchase and keep it off the road for a month and then go VRT it? What do the revenue look for to determine how old the car is?
    Or should I just keep looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

s.welstead wrote: »
    Hey ok so thinking about going the UK route again. Have sourced a car I really like. Only problem is that although it has about 5k miles on it was only first registered at the start of November 09.
    So by that reckoning it's due for VAT on import as not 6 months old.

What's my options here? Can I purchase and keep it off the road for a month and then go VRT it? What do the revenue look for to determine how old the car is?
    Or should I just keep looking?

My understanding is that to avoid VAT, the car must be more than 6 months old OR have more than 6k KM done. On that basis your car has more than 6k km done so no VAT is payable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an example on a low emmission car, this guy on Autoquake (and if you look around I'm sure you could get cheaper) is £7,125 = ~€8,000 with VRT of just €1,878, so you get it for €10,250 allowing reasonable expense for travelling etc, this car's road tax is €104 as it's a 09 reg.
    Closest I can see on carzone is this guy with an asking price of €14,950.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Leeside wrote: »
    My understanding is that to avoid VAT, the car must be more than 6 months old OR have more than 6k KM done. On that basis your car has more than 6k km done so no VAT is payable.

Nah it's both unfortunately. Makes sense as it would be easy enough to get the 6km on a nice road trip before bringing it back to VRT it.

What's my options here? Can I purchase and keep it off the road for a month and then go VRT it?
    Yes.
    What do the revenue look for to determine how old the car is?
    The V5C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Nah it's both unfortunately. Makes sense as it would be easy enough to get the 6km on a nice road trip before bringing it back to VRT it.

Maybe the VRT page on revenue.ie should be cleaned up then. It states 6 months old OR 6KM. The word "or" is in caps to emphasise it. If you're correct, the word should be "AND".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement