Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

HI Gibs what make car did you import?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

An 06 Vauxhall Zafira. Car was £5000. After costs, VRT and everything else, it all came to €9500. Prices on the Irish websites seem to be considerably higher.

Happy days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

When VRTing your car can you pic the reg if it hasn't already been used. Would the same reserving charge apply as it does on new reserved reges. say for a 00. Just wondering really not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DanGerMus wrote: »
    When VRTing your car can you pic the reg if it hasn't already been used. Would the same reserving charge apply as it does on new reserved reges. say for a 00. Just wondering really not that important.
    Afaik you can, and that the €1000 charge would apply. Not sure how they would apply the normal rule that you cannot put the car on the road until that number is reached though!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

Congrats on the Car Micko, they're a great machine and I'm loving mine
    Miccko wrote: »
    Oh, and a note on the warranty. I have emails from both BMW Ireland and BMW UK assuring me that the 3 year manufacturers warranty is valid in the Republic of Ireland. So, I have the remainder of that with the car.

I've a question on this? According to the BMW dealer I bought off only two years of the 3 year warranty are valid in Ireland. Its also stated on the bmw.co.uk website.

Warranty Outside UK
    Every new vehicle supplied by a BMW (UK) Limited authorised dealer carries a worldwide warranty. For the first 24 months, should your car need to be repaired under warranty outside the UK then it must be taken to the most convenient BMW Dealer in that country and the work will be carried out under warranty, provided you can show that the vehicle is still within the 24* month warranty period. This can easily be done by producing the service booklet and showing the 'FREE PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION' box stamped by the selling dealer.
    The 3rd Year is only valid in the UK. If you travel abroad on holiday, however, and warranty work needs to be carried out, please retain all invoices and any replaced parts where possible and on your return to Great Britain contact your local dealer who will process your claim for you.

Apologies for going off topic, but if you got the warranty to extend outside the UK I'd love to know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭vang

How is the vrt worked on new cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

How long did the money transfer take to make to the dealer?

vang wrote: »
    How is the vrt worked on new cars?
    It is calculated as a percentage of the OMSP.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miccko

cooper38 wrote: »
    How long did the money transfer take to make to the dealer?

2 days for me - arranged it on Wednesday afternoon, it hit dealers account Friday morning. But, be careful...if it doesn't hit the dealers account on time, he will not release the car to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

they guaranteed same day once they receive your transfer by 2.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Hey lads,

Really informative thread. Quick question. Considering it costs around €1k for car checks, flight, ferry etc what comeback do you have if the car isn't as advertised when you place a deposit on it? Or what happens if you pay the €220 RAC check and there are problems with the vehicle? Can you claim that back?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

KerranJast wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Really informative thread. Quick question. Considering it costs around €1k for car checks, flight, ferry etc what comeback do you have if the car isn't as advertised when you place a deposit on it? Or what happens if you pay the €220 RAC check and there are problems with the vehicle? Can you claim that back?

Thanks.

These are all expenses that you have incurred yourself. Who do you expect to cover those costs, if you decide not to go ahead with the purchase. You are simply being prudent getting an RAC done- however there is a cost associated with prudence. Its a case of caveat emptor- buyer beware- doing your checks costs money- your money. However if you do uncover a good reason for not buying the car- surely its money well spent instead of having a lemon out on our front lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

smccarrick wrote: »
    These are all expenses that you have incurred yourself. Who do you expect to cover those costs, if you decide not to go ahead with the purchase. You are simply being prudent getting an RAC done- however there is a cost associated with prudence. Its a case of caveat emptor- buyer beware- doing your checks costs money- your money. However if you do uncover a good reason for not buying the car- surely its money well spent instead of having a lemon out on our front lawn?
    True. Just thought there'd be some comeback on the RAC check if a dealer was trying to sell you a faulty product. Thanks anyway.

When you are paying the deposit, you could stipulate that purchase is conditional on receiving a favourable AA/RAC engineer's report. Also, how do you come by the €1,000 cost?!

Not your ornery onager

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yep, assuming you know a few days in advance when you are collecting car and do it midweek, you are looking at more like €2-300 for flight and ferry. Even less if you are lucky with a local airport that isn't popular. My ferry was €120 and flight was €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

KerranJast wrote: »
    True. Just thought there'd be some comeback on the RAC check if a dealer was trying to sell you a faulty product. Thanks anyway.

If the RAC check finds something amiss, and you are still prepared to buy the car, then you should be able to use the report as a bargaining tool against the seller and maybe get a little extra off the price. That way you could probably get some of the cost of the RAC check back.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

just a quick question regarding proof required by the revenue when importing a car bought from a private seller - is a handwritten receipt and the registration documents enough? If yes, what needs to go on the receipt?

Thanks

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Guys this has maybe been asked before but am in a hurry for the info so here goes.

Seen a car in UK with flood damage and maybe 43 miles on clock and has never been registered.

What is the story with bringing that car in here......would it then be registered as a 09 car???

Read somewhere about having 6,000 miles on a new car or something.....can someone tell me the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Guys this has maybe been asked before but am in a hurry for the info so here goes.

Seen a car in UK with flood damage and maybe 43 miles on clock and has never been registered.

What is the story with bringing that car in here......would it then be registered as a 09 car???

Read somewhere about having 6,000 miles on a new car or something.....can someone tell me the story?

I'd imagine it's a new car, registered 09 and you'd pay the vat. Most new cars have a few miles on them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Another few questions guys and gals:

How to pay for car (not using cash)?

How to organise a car check (who and how much)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Apparently under 6,000 km or under 6 months old means you pay VRT + ROI VAT. (e.g. 5 months old & 6,001km or 7 months & 5,000 km)
    How to pay for car (not using cash)?

Bank or else can use dedicated companies/websites. See this thread.
    How to organise a car check (who and how much)?

Google AA & RAC. £250?

In fairness spend 10 minutes skipping through the last 5-10 pages of this thread & all the info is there.

I'd imagine it's a new car, registered 09 and you'd pay the vat. Most new cars have a few miles on them anyway.

Sorry guys....neglected to mention it is a 07 car but not registered because of the flood damage.

Does advice still stand?

Sorry guys....neglected to mention it is a 07 car but not registered because of the flood damage.

Does advice still stand?

If it's not registered, it doesn't have a year. If it was built in 1946 but was only registered now it would be a 09, if you get me.

Gotcha......so bottom line is it would have to run up 6,000 miles to escape the VAT before coming over.

Gotcha......so bottom line is it would have to run up 6,000 miles to escape the VAT before coming over.

That's the plan. But lets say if you come over and it's got just over 6k kms. The VRO can check with whom you bought it off to confirm what mileage was on it when it was sold, and I'm fairly sure the dealer or whoever won't lie and say it has 6,000 kms on it when it left the him.

Pay the VAT or buy something else is all we can advise on here;)

Do you even read the answers to your questions? 6000 km, not 6000 miles :(

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »

Lol, simple mistake.

Lol, simple mistake.
    So, you have to clock up 6000 miles, yeah? :D

Not your ornery onager

So, you have to clock up 6000 miles, yeah? :D

No, 3 728.22715 miles will do.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks Professor.....and you left the "We" out of your great name.

Aw well......was for a friend anyway....i already got my Audi in :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement