Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

importing new car with extra's on it ,is it true that you pay vat on invoice price(invoice has extra's on) ,do i pay vrt plus extras than pay vat(extras included on invoice ),i thought with extra's put on invoice already i would only be paying once,am i better to get invoice with no extra's on and let them charge me vrt plus extra's and vat on basic invoice ,vrt is in the 16% bracket.
    person said in office i pay vrt plus extra's and vat on invoice price
    any help relly appreciated:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

VRT plus extras and VAT on invoice price- sorry......

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

With all the preparation etc, I still got it wrong!! So here's the background:

Brought back a UK registrated (1/9/08) car. At the VRO office was told that VAT & VRT is applicable because it was less than 6 months. My mistake really, I though the period was from the date of importation. Purchased the car on the 27/2, so the sickening part is that if I purchased it on the next working day (02/3) I would have been fine. Anyhow the VRO are off calculating the outstanding charges (can anybody here tell me how this is done?) Obviously If I proceed I'll have to arrange for the VAT to be refunded from the UK. Its also been compounded by the dealer issuing the invoice with a totally wrong date (19/2). I told the woman in the VRO, you'd think she'd give the dealer a ring, but NO, its written on paper etc etc. me just a cheating scumbag in her eyes :rolleyes:

Was told I could appeal the charges/VAT but have to pay first. The question I have is the VRT appeals process the right way to appeal the VAT charges. A page on the revenue site implies your local district office but they have just referred me back to the VRO.

Is it possible to go to the VRO to get back the V5 and say that due to the additional charges, I'm not going to proceed and export the car out of ireland. Head over to the UK for a bed and breakfast (so to speak), then get a new date on the invoice from the dealer. And bring the car back to overcome the VAT? Is there a certain period of time the car has to be out of the country? I assume they would need proof of such export (ferry, proof of sale etc..)

From my guessimates, its currently going to cost me an additional €1K which I hadnt budgetted for.

A learning experience indeed, but would appreciate any advise from wiser!! heads out there.

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I don't think getting a new invoice would help. The VRO are already aware of when you purchased the car.

Why not "sell" the car to a relative and let "them" import it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

Sorry to but in here, but whats the story with the NCT will I have to bring it to pass the test before I can register it and tax it?
    The cars a 96.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

You have to pay if you live in Ireland and buy a foreign vehicle. Milage, how old etc has nothing to do with it.

To avoid VRT you must...have lived abroad for more than 1 year, owned the car for 6 or more months and have clocked up more than 6000km.

If you fail any of these you will have to pay.

Another method to avoid VRT is to buy a vehicle in Ireland and take it with you when being deployed overseas on UN duty that lasts 1 year or more and then bring it back with you with an extra 6000kms on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Am I going to be screwed...

I bought a car in a impulse last week... a volvo s60 se... its a 2001 and i looked it up on the vrt website and it said the vrt should be 2100.. if you show up will it be pritty much that or could they charge alot more??

also car tax... because it is before 2008 it goes in to the old system? or the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Hey.

I'm looking to bring in a WRC spec 1994 Celica GT4 from the Uk.

Can anyone tell me what kind of 'hidden' costs there apart from VRT,.

Cheers, Im very new to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

afatbollix wrote: »
    also car tax... because it is before 2008 it goes in to the old system? or the new one?

Old System. All cars registered in Ireland or abroad before 2008 go on the old system.

McSpud wrote: »
    Old System. All cars registered in Ireland or abroad before 2008 go on the old system.

good news :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Folks, wondering if any of you can help:

- Buying a car in the UK in June this year (car not picked yet)
    - Sterling weak atm so I want to buy my sterling now at today's rate and use it in June to buy a car in the UK.
    - got a euro-to-sterling quote of .911 from currency.ie but they don't do forward contracts and won't hold the sterling for me in their client accounts for longer than 1 month max.
    - currency.ie suggested I open a personal sterling account with another irish financial institute (e.g. aib, ebs etc) to hold the sterling until june
    - Problem is none of the Irish banks want to entertain the idea...e.g. aib want regular payments in and out and no once-off payments. Angloirish will open a sterling a/c for me but I can only transfer funds out of it to an account in MY name (i.e. i can't make a payment to a garage/trader in the uk or back to currency.ie). First Active don't do Sterling A/Cs. Trying others now...

Has anyone else been in this scenario before and how did you get around it? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Just go into AIB & open a sterling account, why are they bothered how many transactions you're going to make? Close it in June then when you're finished with it. If they're push about the transactions then agree & just lodge and withdraw funds once in a while to satisfy their conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

air wrote: »
    Just go into AIB & open a sterling account, why are they bothered how many transactions you're going to make? Close it in June then when you're finished with it. If they're push about the transactions then agree & just lodge and withdraw funds once in a while to satisfy their conditions.

Thanks however to transfer funds in and out of the sterling account would mean either having another sterling account or else losing money on forex charges when transferring via a euro a/c. Sorted it out via National Irish Bank; no min or max limit on regular transfers & no restriction on transferring to a 3rd party a/c (i.e. to currency.ie's sterling a/c before paying the UK car dealer)...only drawback is you have physically go into the branch to transfer money out. Suits me fine as i work up the road. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

My Dad is thinking of importing a BMW 635d from the UK.

It's August 2008 so have to wait till the end of this month obviously.

It works out at €40,000 + €27,000 VRT.

Is there something I'm missing or would it cost €67k at the end of the day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

My Dad is thinking of importing a BMW 635d from the UK.

It's August 2008 so have to wait till the end of this month obviously.

It works out at €40,000 + €27,000 VRT.

Is there something I'm missing or would it cost €67k at the end of the day?

Whats the mileage?
    Also the VRT will depend on the spec- and they are chasing high speced cars big time these days.

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Whats the mileage?
    Also the VRT will depend on the spec- and they are chasing high speced cars big time these days.

S.

12,000 miles on the clock.

According to bmw.ie there's 9k worth of extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

12,000 miles on the clock.

According to bmw.ie there's 9k worth of extras.

9k in UK money or is that the Irish sticker price? Assuming your VRT category puts you at (say) 32%, then budget for (9K * depreciation factor * 32%)

Given its only 6 months old, the depreciation factor is going to be quite low! Above is a guideline only, but should give a good approximation.

jabaroon wrote: »
    9k in UK money or is that the Irish sticker price? Assuming your VRT category puts you at (say) 32%, then budget for (9K * depreciation factor * 32%)

Given its only 6 months old, the depreciation factor is going to be quite low! Above is a guideline only, but should give a good approximation.

Thanks for the reply.

It's in the 28% bracket.

9k is the Irish price of the extras. So am I right in saying that on top of the VRT I have to pay 28% of 9k?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for the reply.

It's in the 28% bracket.

9k is the Irish price of the extras. So am I right in saying that on top of the VRT I have to pay 28% of 9k?

They'll depreciate the extras by 25% for a one year old car:

9000 x 0.75 x 0.28 = 1,890

copacetic wrote: »
    They'll depreciate the extras by 25% for a one year old car:

9000 x 0.75 x 0.28 = 1,890

40k + 27k + 2k = 69k........

Sure, there is one for sale up on CBG for 112k. Its hardly worth the hassle of a flight, taxi's, ferries and a day of your life lost for 43k!!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

If you're thinking of buying in the Uk I'd get a move on in the next few weeks. Lot of short selling of euro at the moment in the markets according to the papers, as investors are expecting the euro to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davyby

I can buy a new car here VRT free, under the disabled passenger tax exemption. I would like to buy one in the UK or NI as even with euro/ster rate the new car outside the rep is cheaper. Rang a dealer UK AUdi told me I wouldent be able to pick up a new car unregistered (without plates) Was hoping to buy A5 tdi 30k ster or 46k euro here inclu VRT which is 16% then walk into the VRO with my vrt exemption form and no money change hands after the disabilty mods fitted. Would this be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

jabaroon wrote: »
    40k + 27k + 2k = 69k........

Sure, there is one for sale up on CBG for 112k. Its hardly worth the hassle of a flight, taxi's, ferries and a day of your life lost for 43k!!!!! :D:D:D

Ah sure go the Irish dealer & give him a chance to match the UK price... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

davyby wrote: »
    I can buy a new car here VRT free, under the disabled passenger tax exemption. I would like to buy one in the UK or NI as even with euro/ster rate the new car outside the rep is cheaper. Rang a dealer UK AUdi told me I wouldent be able to pick up a new car unregistered (without plates) Was hoping to buy A5 tdi 30k ster or 46k euro here inclu VRT which is 16% then walk into the VRO with my vrt exemption form and no money change hands after the disabilty mods fitted. Would this be possible?
    Could you have it collected on a transporter? Also, as I'm sure you know, you won't have to pay VAT here either. I'd say your best bet would be to ring Monaghan to find out exactly what your options are.

Not your ornery onager

McSpud wrote: »
    Ah sure go the Irish dealer & give him a chance to match the UK price... :o

lol!!! :pac:

Record the conversation if you do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

Hello.
    Why is it that when I try do a search on autotrader.co.uk that it asks for a postcode?? Am i totally missing the point here or do actually you need the postcode of the dealers??

would any one tell me the vrt offices in dublin? i looked at the revenue website and there dosent look like there is one on it??

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

davyby wrote: »

if new car
    tell dealer you want to export ,fill out a 411 form,get him to register it to garage address(they get export plates put on it,and pay no reg fee/road tax i think) same day you pick it up and away you go.you wont have v5 there and then but will be able to use COC (car birth cert) to clear customs ,when you get v5 just post it to vro .some dealers dont want the hassle.:cool:
    bombers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

afatbollix wrote: »
    would any one tell me the vrt offices in dublin? i looked at the revenue website and there dosent look like there is one on it??

cheers

Didnt look hard enough!!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/dublin-region.html#section13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 davyby

Thanks guys Il try that, I can borrow some garage plates from a mate here. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement