Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

ned78 wrote: »
    Your road tax on any 08 car will be based on Co2.

Thanks Ned. I've just put a deposit down on a '08 Accord 2.2 EX Accord with a deal being struck at £12,500. The dealer tells me the car was recently reduced from £16,000.

The ROS online calc is telling me the VRT payable is €6162 based on an OMSP of €30,812.

As this an "Executive" model and has a quite a big spec I would assume that these items will not be treated as options when I go to VRT the car? Am I right in thinking that they would already be included in the OMSP, as this is standard spec for this model (e.g. leather seats, cruise control, sat nav) so I shouldn't be asked to pay for them twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Has anyone found the level of emissions on the VRT website to be incorrect for their car model?

The car I'm planning to bring over is rated at 177g/km on the site, but is actually 165g/km (according to the dealer website). The difference in the end cost is about €1,600.

Below, the figures on the left are the official ones, the recalculated figures (after I submit the actual levels) are on the right:

Revenue Information Customer Information
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €30374 €28775
    RATE OF TAX: 28% 24%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: €8504 €6906

It has an effect on the OMSP and the rate of tax charged. Do this get resolved when you appeal after paying the tax?

I'm sure many others have said, but what a pain in the hoop to go to the VRO on the next working day. Can someone else go in my place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Detune

barryi200 wrote: »
    ANYONE recomend sites for X5's in the UK??

Hi,

I saw a lot of them at British Car Auctions for 12 - 16k for a '05 3.0d or 3.0D sport. To be honest, I've seen them cheaper in Ireland considering the VRT. I've seen a few at Merlin not getting bids beyond €17k.
    Just my thoughts.

Detune

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

hi all...

just a question about HPI checks...

I done a check on a car (NI REG) that i'm looking at in the north and it wasn't found on the database of about 4 hpi websites... i thought that was pretty strange..

i then tried another one and said everything was clear except that it was registered in England under a different number plate (GB reg) ...i checked that one out and it came back all clear??

do you think i've anything to worry about here ??

also I'm just wondering how to go about buying a car in the north....does anyone put a deposit down for a car and then send the RAC or AA over to check it out? or do you just get it checked out by the AA/RAC and if ok then get a deposit on it....i'd be afraid of someone else getting in ahead of me and buying it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

You can call them and stick down a £500 or so deposit with your credit card for them to hold on to it for you. Then you call the AA. They do the checks fairly quickly, I requested one yesterday and it's happening tomorrow.

I was wondering about the plates myself, some cars seem to change plates regularly. What is the reason for this? It's hardly vanity plates is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    You can call them and stick down a £500 or so deposit with your credit card for them to hold on to it for you. Then you call the AA. They do the checks fairly quickly, I requested one yesterday and it's happening tomorrow.

I was wondering about the plates myself, some cars seem to change plates regularly. What is the reason for this? It's hardly vanity plates is it?

Thanks for that info..the dealer will hardly refuse the aa check?? ah if he does i won't be buying it!!

about the plate changes, maybe some people do not want english reg plates and want NI ones instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

madds wrote: »
    Thanks Ned. I've just put a deposit down on a '08 Accord 2.2 EX Accord with a deal being struck at £12,500. The dealer tells me the car was recently reduced from £16,000.

The ROS online calc is telling me the VRT payable is €6162 based on an OMSP of €30,812.

As this an "Executive" model and has a quite a big spec I would assume that these items will not be treated as options when I go to VRT the car? Am I right in thinking that they would already be included in the OMSP, as this is standard spec for this model (e.g. leather seats, cruise control, sat nav) so I shouldn't be asked to pay for them twice?

Sounds like a good price based on my research. VRT also seems correct. The EX is listed on the VRT site & is also sold in the ROI. I think you need to check Honda.ie to see if UK is the same as ROP spec. Honda.ie says leather & sat nav are standard which I believe you don't pay extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

cerebis wrote: »
    about the plate changes, maybe some people do not want english reg plates and want NI ones instead??

My understanding is that when someone brings a car from GB to NI, the DVLA effectively export the car from GB, sending the V5 to the DVLNI, who then import the car to NI and assign an NI reg.

So perhaps, the case of the car in question, someone in NI simply brought a car over from GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Any idea what happens if the car you want isn't listed in the VRT calculator. In particular a VW passat 4 motion W8 2002. Also cant find any for sale to give them an OMSP myself. Ideas?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

madds wrote: »

If you don't mind me askin madds, what website you go to for that accord, super deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

McSpud wrote: »
    Sounds like a good price based on my research. VRT also seems correct. The EX is listed on the VRT site & is also sold in the ROI. I think you need to check Honda.ie to see if UK is the same as ROP spec. Honda.ie says leather & sat nav are standard which I believe you don't pay extra for.

I had experience on this one. In mid 2008 my friend and I bought MB-B170 Sport Auto form UK at the same time and same spec even same year model (end-2007).. the only different is mileage which is mine about 2,000 miles & my friend nearly 4,000 miles (ex-DEMO) plus his has afew additional extra like climate control and Electric Seat.

Then here in Ireland, my friend live in Dublin but I'm in Limerick... so as I registered in Limerick... the VRT officer took my 'UK Reg Book' to Merc-Benz dealer for valuation, as in VRT website it shown €28k but Merc-Benz Dealer valued it €38k (even most of the extra option already in Sport Pack that similar in here), compare with my friend registered in Dublin... Merc-Benz Dealer valued it similar with VRT website (€28k).

Then I asked VRT Office regarding this, they said they just follow what Merc-Benz Dealer gave to them. I don't know why it this has huge different...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

erie wrote: »
    .. the only different is mileage which is mine about 2,000 miles ...
    Be aware you will have to pay VAT as well, as your car has less than 6000km done!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Has anyone found the level of emissions on the VRT website to be incorrect for their car model?

The car I'm planning to bring over is rated at 177g/km on the site, but is actually 165g/km (according to the dealer website). The difference in the end cost is about €1,600.

Below, the figures on the left are the official ones, the recalculated figures (after I submit the actual levels) are on the right:

Revenue Information Customer Information
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €30374 €28775
    RATE OF TAX: 28% 24%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: €8504 €6906

It has an effect on the OMSP and the rate of tax charged. Do this get resolved when you appeal after paying the tax?

I'm sure many others have said, but what a pain in the hoop to go to the VRO on the next working day. Can someone else go in my place?

The VRO will change it if the CO2 on the V5 document is lower.
    Ask the dealer to send you a pic of the CO2 on the V5, they could be wrong on the CO2 advertised.
    The CO2 on my car was actually higher on the V5 than what they quoted, and they noticed it, but it was only 2 higher and didn't put it in the next bracket luckily

As for someone else going for you, they can.
    I went and registered the car in my wife's name.
    Just make sure if you're paying you give them a draft.
    They only take personal cheques with ID, and seeing as you won't be there you won't have ID with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Vim Fuego,
    most people put say 100 pounds deposit using their credit card and then transfer the balance.

dont expect your bank to give you good exchange rates. call your bank and compare with currency.ie/transfermate, basically ringing around will get you the best rate and save a few hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

esel wrote: »
    Be aware you will have to pay VAT as well, as your car has less than 6000km done!

yap.. I aware that... we both got that cars above 6mths from 1st reg in uk... and mine at the time registered just got over 4200miles (around 6700km)... I've done 2000 miles in 26days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adrianbrennan

Hi i'm new to this
    i bought a 97 Corrolla last year and it served its purpose i got my full license out of it . i have been looking at cars up the north and in england i have seen 05 ford focus with 30,000 miles for about £5000 is this good? and what do i need when i go over what should i look for a never bought a car before is Car planet safe to buy from i am going over the end of next month so thanks in advance;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

Hi, firstly I liked to say thanks to everyone who has made this thread so amazing and informative. If it wasn't for all the great info in here I would never have realised the savings I did and ended up driving my dream car.
    So heres how i got on from searching for my new motor to paying the VRT.

1. Searching for the car. Found a e92 320d Msport on bmw.co.uk for 21k - London BMW garage. Checked against autotrader and a few other websites and couldn't find a better deal. Plus its still got 6 months on the waranty.

2. Tried to bargain over the phone to no avail - dealer said the car was recently discounted and he reckoned it was the cheapest model available in the country with that spec/mileage etc. Had a look around and I agreed.

3. Put a grand down over the phone to hold it. On the credit card so its safe and also according to the Distance Selling rules in the UK fully refundable

4. Booked flights over and back that saturday (Dublin-Gatwick)- saw the motor - totally happy with it so confirmed the sale

5. Checked with AIB what rate they would charge me for 20k sterling and they said 88 cents - now the rate that day was 90.5 but they said they would be setting it again the following morning so we decided to wait to the following day. Next day the rate is at 92.5 online and whats AIB's rate? 90 flat. I said screw that I'll give currency.ie a go after seeing some guys on here recommend them. Used them and they were great, gave a rate of 92.1.

6. Rang the dealer the next day and after a bit of searching they found my transaction - it had a narrative of TransferToTravel as oppossed to the order number I wanted but no bother the money cleared.

7. Booked flights and the ferry from holyhead to dublin port and flew back over last saturday with a mate - brought another mates gps.

8. Did the final check on the car and all the paperwork

9. Drove the motor from London to Holyhead - took about 5 1/2 hours including 30 mins of stops.

10. Arrived back in Ireland happy out.

11. Drove to Tallaght VRT on monday of this week and got the car checked. Arrived at about 11:30 and was there until 1ish. Had the VRT form filled in before i arrived so went very quick once I got to the desk

12. Sure enough the old guy I dealt with said we'll have to send it off to Roslare for the extras - was expecting this anyway after all i read on here. He still came out and had a look at it, said he though the VRT printoff figure i had was fair enough to him but new rules with these type of cars etc.

13. Rang the office today and got the final VRT figure. Now I know a few of you were interesed in VRT on extras so here are my figures.
    The car is a September 07 e92 (coupe) 320d M Sport with 10K on the clock. The VRT site gave me a price of €5,943. Now it's got a good few extras on top of the standard M sport (18 inch alloys - sports seats etc.)
    Leather Seats
    Bluetooth Integration
    USB/IPOD interface
    PDC front and rear
    Folding mirrors
    Auto dimming rear view mirrors
    Mettalic Paint
    Thats about 8k worth of extras new, so what was revenues final VRT figure? €6,318.

14. So all in including flights- ferry etc I've got my dream motor for under 29K euros. Kind of satisfying when I got a call yestereday from a BMW dealer offering me a 07 SE 320d coupe with 20k on the clock for 36k. And Msports with extras are going for 40k

Thanks again to all the people who by writing in this thread confinced me this was the way to go. I fully recommend anyone out there whos thinging about it to take the plunge - plus Sterling is strengthening as we speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Thanks for the update and well done, a great saving and a fine car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Good post.... Road tax will not be as good as an 2008 model, but not that significant! A lovely motor, im buying one too.....

yeah, €156 would be nicer than €614 but ah well can't have everything! An 08 would have been well out of my budget anyway or i'd be loosing all those nice extras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

yeah, €156 would be nicer than €614 but ah well can't have everything! An 08 would have been well out of my budget anyway or i'd be loosing all those nice extras

Many thousands of happy miles motoring in your new car...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

13. Rang the office today and got the final VRT figure. Now I know a few of you were interesed in VRT on extras so here are my figures.
    The car is a September 07 e92 (coupe) 320d M Sport with 10K on the clock. The VRT site gave me a price of €5,943. Now it's got a good few extras on top of the standard M sport (18 inch alloys - sports seats etc.)
    Leather Seats
    Bluetooth Integration
    USB/IPOD interface
    PDC front and rear
    Folding mirrors
    Auto dimming rear view mirrors
    Mettalic Paint
    Thats about 8k worth of extras new, so what was revenues final VRT figure? €6,318.

nice post, just more details on this.

That seems to be closer to 5500 of extras, 2 year old car so
    depreciated by 50% - 2750. 16% vrt on this ~ 440 or so.
    Roughly the extra charge.

copacetic wrote: »
    nice post, just more details on this.

That seems to be closer to 5500 of extras, 2 year old car so
    depreciated by 50% - 2750. 16% vrt on this ~ 440 or so.
    Roughly the extra charge.

Right you are, I just went through the extras there on bmw.ie and they add up to 5,295. Well spotted. And thanks also, your posts in this thread have been invaluable.

Right you are, I just went through the extras there on bmw.ie and they add up to 5,295. Well spotted. And thanks also, your posts in this thread have been invaluable.

it almost makes sense then! enjoy the car. I'm jealous of the usb interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 canadiantz

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to make a quick point, if your considering importing a car from the UK, would you first contact a local garage, and see if they would match the price you are importing it for. I know a few people who have printed off quotes form the north, brought it into their local garage, and the garage was willing to match the price, or come reasonably close; now your keeping local jobs, and keeping money in this country which, as we all know, is in desparate need of.

Not to mention you would be getting a warrenty! and not risking being at part of the 20% of clocked imports.

I am Canadian, and we would not consider buying a car in the US

Just to mention, I don't work in the auto industry, just a bit sick of hearing how people are shopping across the boarder, as this country goes down hill.

Have a great day,

Canadian in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

^^ Tried it and got a less than frosty response from the local main dealer, and two other dealers that I rang from Carzone. May be things have changed since December, and I hope you are right.

positron wrote: »
    ^^ Tried it and got a less than frosty response from the local main dealer, and two other dealers that I rang from Carzone. May be things have changed since December, and I hope you are right.

agreed, I tried it for 6 months and was told to eff off every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 canadiantz

copacetic wrote: »
    agreed, I tried it for 6 months and was told to eff off every time.

I think things have changed since January,

I suppose if they don't take your offer into consideration, at least you had tried.

But, Give them a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roonster

hi guys,thinking of bringing in 320d m sport coupe.what are best colour combos was looking at graphite with black leather.which combos are best for selling on in a few years?also what about mileage? how high would you go on a 08?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Contrast.

Grey -beige. Black with beige. Bright on the outside, dark on the inside. Red with beige, silver with black, blue with beige/black. Lots of choice's. Grey needs beige imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement