Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

roonster wrote: »
    how high would you go on a 08?

Anything over 20-25k miles for an 08 would be high- but not necessarily a deal breaker. Depends on who owned it, and how it was driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

roonster wrote: »
    hi guys,thinking of bringing in 320d m sport coupe.what are best colour combos was looking at graphite with black leather.which combos are best for selling on in a few years?also what about mileage? how high would you go on a 08?

Sparkling Graphite and black leather would be nice. Just be aware the graphite has been discontinued. Not really an issue though.

Personally, did watch the cream leather. Nice, but practical? Ive seen it discolour on some cars from blue denim...

Also, the Irish dealers are now selling Uk bmws. Id give them every opportunity to sell you a car. They are a good few around. Paying a couple k more for peace of mind, might be a good long term investment. If the gap is too big, go yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Brewster wrote: »
    Sparkling Graphite and black leather would be nice. Just be aware the graphite has been discontinued. Not really an issue though.

Personally, did watch the cream leather. Nice, but practical? Ive seen it discolour on some cars from blue denim...

Also, the Irish dealers are now selling Uk bmws. Id give them every opportunity to sell you a car. They are a good few around. Paying a couple k more for peace of mind, might be a good long term investment. If the gap is too big, go yourself.

agreed, the cream is totally impractical imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roonster

also looked at a blk on blk e92 jan08 car 16k miles with alot of extras good deal to be had.but mileage seems high compared to others in uk which seem quite low surely all cant be demos...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

McSpud wrote: »
    As mentioned above you pay on new CO2 motor tax rates.

What kind of price do you think will get? Might be looking at something similar myself next month...

Hi McSpud - sorry, I missed this question of yours.

I found the car (08 Honda Accord 2.2 Ex) on this site http://www.arnoldclark.com. The car was in their Stretford Manchester dealership. I got it for £12,500 and will be heading to the VRO office tomorrow to register it. Finger crossed!

Drove from Manchester to Holyhead to catch the 2:15pm ferry this afternoon and I'm very very happy with my purchase. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

• Advertisement

madds wrote: »
    Hi McSpud - sorry, I missed this question of yours.

I found the car (Honda Accord 2.2 Ex) on this site http://www.arnoldclark.com. The car was in their Stretford Manchester dealership. I got it for £12,500 and will be heading to the VRO office tomorrow to register it. Finger crossed!

Drove from Manchester to Holyhead to catch the 2:15pm ferry this afternoon and I'm very very happy with my purchase.

Nice one! glad it worked out. How come they didn't meet you in Holyhead in the end?

Cheers Copacetic. I have to say the last 24 hours have been a little stressful. :)

My plan was to get the early morning ferry to Holyhead which docked at 11:30am, meet the dealer, give the car the once over and if happy complete the deal there and then. This would require a call to TransferMate telling them to send the funds to the dealer's bank. Once the dealer had confirmation that funds were in his account he'd hand over the keys. I would then return on the 2:15pm ferry. Sounds good eh?

Didn't run as smoothly as that unfortunately. TM told me that they would release the funds as soon as they heard from me but they had no control over when the monies would hit the dealer's bank account as it would first have to go through his bank's international clearing office. The only guarantee TM and the dealer's bank could give me was that it would clear by COB today, but perhaps not in time for me to catch the ferry.

Instead, I decided to get the 6:30am flight to Manchester, get the dealer to pick me up so that I could check the car and if happy give the green light to TM a little earlier in the day than would have been possible if I had got the ferry across. I got to the dealership at 8:30am and was happy with the car at 9:30am.

It was at this stage that the dealer's accounts dept said that they definitely wouldn't see the transfer in their account until late afternoon. Cue me ringing my mates in Ireland looking for options on what I could do. One mate who has a UK bank account and was willing to pay the outstanding car balance for me but his UK bank could only guarantee that the funds would clear by end of day and no sooner. Another friends suggested using Western Union to transfer the money across to a WU branch in Manchester where I could withdraw cash to complete deal. Unfortunately, the financial rules in the UK stipulate that the dealer can only accept a max of 9k in cash so that ruled that option out....although I did put the novel idea to the dealer of reducing the price of the car to 9k but he wasn't have any of it...:P

In the end I decided to go with the original plan of getting TM to transfer the money and hope/pray it got through in time for me to dash to Holyhead to make the Ferry which was a 2 hour road trip I was told. At 11:40am I was told that the money had come through. 10 minutes later I was out the door and on the M56 heading for my ferry in my new Accord. Got there at 1:30pm which wasn't bad going. Let's just say I gave the engine a good test.

yep, that transfer time was about what I saw. Less than 2 hours, generally it appears that people in dealers/normal banks have little idea how quickly these things can be done by people who know what they are doing. Glad transfermate worked out for you, although I wouldn't advise anyone to book such tight travel time if not paying in advance, there is no way they will guarantee such a risky time window.

I asked TM to mark the transfer as "I]my name[/I Arnold Clark" so that the transfer could be easily spotted. Not sure how much this helped but it wouldn't have done any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

TransferMate guarantee the same day transfer as they send it via their uk branch through a same day system called chaps.

Chaps guarantees same day but chaps does not guarantee the time, just by close of business. Irish banks dont do this or if they do they charge for it.

Ive used western union and lost up to 7% on the exchange rate. They are fast but by far more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballybrone

I placed a deposit of £300 on a 2007 Ford Galaxy Zetec 1.8TDCI with leather and 6000 miles for £13,000 yesterday with motorpoint in Derby.
    When I ran my own HPI check it showed up as having outstanding finance "stocking unit loan " on it .This got me worried so I called the finance company and they assured me this is a normal short term loan taken out by dealers to fund buying more cars and that this outstanding loan will be cleared once I buy the car and the dealer will clear the finance.They also said that if the dealer didnt clear the finance that they would go after the dealer for payment and not the car/me .
    When I contacted motorpoint this morning they told me yes there is outstanding finance on this car and sent me a copy of their own HPI check showing this.They also said that when I pay for the car they will pay off the outstanding finance and they will give me a letter stating this and also that I will have no liability for the finance .Anybody else had this situation arise .
    Is the verbal word from the finance company and the letter from motorpoint enough.

Thanks this is a great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Hi Ballybrone
    Ive come across it a few months ago when importing and was assured that as a dealer they would all have financing. Makes sense as most are not cash rich.

Id have reservations though if it were to a private individual i.e i was due to buy from a private individual in Ireland. did the check and saw there was financing owed. Asked him a half hour before meeting him if there was finance owed and he told me there wasnt. After telling him I would only hand over cheque in bank once his bank manager shook my hand and confirmed that covered the car loan, he told me he'd call me back and later confirmed that it wouldnt cover it but that he would just pay the balance over the next year.........definetely something to avoid in the case of private purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Ballyprone, I encountered exactly the same with Motorpoint, the company was called Blackhorse or something, standard stuff and caused no problems. I did get a fright though when I saw there was finance owed, but two cars from them now and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

Hi all. great thread. I'm trying to buy an 07 jeep compass . have looked in n/i and here. best i can get in n/i from the main dealer is £12k for a demo model with 6k/miles. vrt calculator gives me over €7k vrt. Dealer says he cannot beat €20k incl vrt. Can get a straight deal hear for approx €17k in 3 different main dealers all with 12 months warranty. 12K miles on 2 of the car. I'm just wondering how i can't seem to save a bucket load of € in n/i like alot of people on the site. Have a 2003 flame red pt cruiser touring diesel to trade but only getting €1k for it. Sales man was allowing me 3 but that was if i gave him €19k. Any thoughts..... . Want 4 wheel drive but in a car so the compass suits as it has a center diff lock and i a forester is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You are being allowed €1k on that car??? Would you not just keep the Cruiser, buy the Compass on a straight deal and then sell the Cruiser privately?

Oh yes. will buy straight and sell. the cruiser is a lovely car. The southern dealers seen to be competive on some cars ,

What's wrong with this one? You would surely get 2k off the retail.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Jeep/Compass/2.0CRD,-/200902191449136/advert

thats one of them . offered to me at €17 . would probably doo even better. If i got 3 for the pt cruiser , i'd do the deal. they will give me 3 for the pt but the car goes up to €19. hence the offer of €1k for the cruiser.

roryj wrote: »
    thats one of them . offered to me at €17 . would probably doo even better. If i got 3 for the pt cruiser , i'd do the deal. they will give me 3 for the pt but the car goes up to €19. hence the offer of €1k for the cruiser.

They aren't offering you €1k for the cruiser.

If you have a trade in, the trade in price is discount from the retail price. ie.19k.

Since you are taking the burden off them off keeping your own car (Ie. they don't have to service, valet, warrenty, advertise and sell your car) they can offer you money off the retail.

If you keep your PT, it stands costing you €1k. If you then sell this yourself for what ever it's worth, (i've only come across a petrol one, once in my life), lets just say 3k. You are now up 2k. (19k-2k discount - 3k sale on PT = 14k for the Compass. Where as if you trade in the Compass is costing you 16k.

Omsp on an april 07 jeep compass is set at €25297. 28% ver = € 7084.
    I can buy a new compass for<€29k as list is €29k. Something seriously wrong . All the 07 on carzone etc are €17/$19k.

• Advertisement

Omsp on an april 07 jeep compass is set at €25297. 28% ver = € 7084.
    I can buy a new compass for<€29k as list is €29k. Something seriously wrong . All the 07 on carzone etc are €17/$19k.

I can't imagine the Compass is a hugely imported car, as it never sold here in the first place. So therefore, they probably haven't even adjusted the OMSP. Normally you can argue the OMSP after you pay the VRT, but you have to prove what the car is worth by showing others for sale. It could be a hard case to prove as there is only one other 07 for sale.

That may be the tecnicality of the costings, but the reality is that 03 diesel pt touring are for sale at €8k. the 14k you calculate is what i'd like to pay for the compass and still have the dealer sell my car.

That may be the tecnicality of the costings, but the reality is that 03 diesel pt touring are for sale at €8k. the 14k you calculate is what i'd like to pay for the compass and still have the dealer sell my car.

I don't understand where you are coming from. You want to be able to buy the Compass for 14k on a straight deal?

the compass came out in 07 here as well . 2 driving around my town since new(07).
    There are two more for sale on other web sites, one at 19k the other at 17k.

Sorry limerick man. wasn't very clear in the last message, I'd like to trade the cruiser for 3k off the 17k price. so i'd pay 14k + the pt cruiser,

Sorry limerick man. wasn't very clear in the last message, I'd like to trade the cruiser for 3k off the 17k price. so i'd pay 14k + the pt cruiser,

That's not the way it works. Albeit the same thing, want you want is a trade in value of 5k. They won't lower the retail if a trade in is involved. Any money extra towards you is added onto the trade in, not taken off the retail.

Thats it exactly. I want to avoid driving around with all the tinted glass covered with for sale posters or parking it on the side of a busy road till someone rings me and annoys me by offering me a pittance for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

The dealers don't want your Cruiser, plain and simple. They will give you (in real terms) 1k for it so that they can have it in so cheap that they are sure to shift it. At 17k they are making it attractive for you to buy the Compass straight and sell the Cruiser yourself. You don't want the hassle of selling the Cruiser yourself but neither do they.

Why don't you just buy the Compass straight at 17k and sell the Cruiser to the first any way decent offer ? Anything more than 1k is profit for you. Yes it's a bit of effort but you can't have it both ways ... whoever makes the effort to sell the car will be quids in.

Don't be suprised that it doesn't make sense to import a particular car. It's not universally true that any imported car is cheaper. There are lots more examples of cars that don't make sense to import. You have to pick specific models, eg the BMW diesels, Accord diesels etc that the posters here write about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roonster

guys advice wanted looking at 320d msport coupe in uk jan 08 car with high spec 16k miles its been up for a while is the mileage high? think i should be able to have it in and cleared for arounf 31k euro...what yee think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

hi all,

just a quick question about buying a car in the north...i bought a car and the dealer give the the V5c document...i didn't actually sign anything ??

i have parts all parts (ie 1-11) except part 9....

part 8 is not signed by anyone.... do i need to fill this out ?

just wondering what i do now to register the car here in ireland ?

Thanks in advance....a little worried at the mo :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement