Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hoki wrote: »
    Hi folks, am i mad to be considering buying a 2016 estate from UK with 100k miles on it? Car comes with a 12mth warranty and is spotless inside and out.

What type of car is it??????.

What type of price??????.

And what do you drive now????.

Those are all important factors in the whether "I am mad" to be buying the car decision.

One thing of note is that 100 k miles in 3 years could be motorway miles - which is good for the car.

Worth trying to ensure its not an ex taxi - although 100 k miles is actually a tad low for a taxi over there at 3 years old imo.

In saying that I wouldn't apply a definite no to an ex taxi - the difference between drivers can be noticeable.

Some taxis are a lot better minded then others. Depends how fussy the individual company or drivers are about keeping the cars right.

Some companies and drivers have the cop on to realise that nicely presented well maintained cars can present a professional image and good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hi folks, am i mad to be considering buying a 2016 estate from UK with 100k miles on it? Car comes with a 12mth warranty and is spotless inside and out.

Nothing wrong with a car with 100k as long as it has being serviced correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Old diesel wrote: »
    What type of car is it??????.

What type of price??????.

And what do you drive now????.

Those are all important factors in the whether "I am mad" to be buying the car decision.

One thing of note is that 100 k miles in 3 years could be motorway miles - which is good for the car.

Worth trying to ensure its not an ex taxi - although 100 k miles is actually a tad low for a taxi over there at 3 years old imo.

In saying that I wouldn't apply a definite no to an ex taxi - the difference between drivers can be noticeable.

Some taxis are a lot better minded then others. Depends how fussy the individual company or drivers are about keeping the cars right.

Some companies and drivers have the cop on to realise that nicely presented well maintained cars can present a professional image and good for business.

Skoda Superb 1.6TDI Estate 120BHP for about €16k, ex fleet car. Im also concerned its such a big car with that 1.6 engine , will it be underpowered?
    I currently drive a 2.0 TDI Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Whocare

Skoda Superb 1.6TDI Estate 120BHP for about €16k, ex fleet car. Im also concerned its such a big car with that 1.6 engine , will it be underpowered?

You want to get your skates on vrt bookings are getting hard to come by as I take want it vrt before 31

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes it will. You'll hate it after the Audi. Just do a search for 2016, 100k max, 2 litre estates with emissions up to 110, some fab cars, C Class, Mazda 6, Audi, VW Passat, well within your budget. Even this E class estate. Edit. sold the same day!
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910093109903?make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=relevance&year-from=2016&body-type=Estate&price-to=16000&maximum-mileage=100000&postcode=bt364pe&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&co2-emissions-cars=TO_110&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&fuel-type=Diesel&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Nice one.

How long did it take? I submitted a very reasonable appeal with screenshots etc 4 weeks ago. No confirmation from them to say they've received it

VRT appeal successful, 4k taken off OMSP and will be refunded.

Took almost 4 weeks but happy with result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, sorry, time frame was roughly that! A nice surprise in the post...hopefully it isn't too long making its way back to the bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

deezell wrote: »

Mazda diesels arent great reliability wise - which is actually part of the reason for my question on what type of car.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Mazda diesels arent great reliability wise - which is actually part of the reason for my question on what type of car.

Your budget would stretch to a 2017 Mazda diesel, much improved and refined 2.2 engine, especially with the higher hp version. On the issue of reliability, a lot of issues, with any diesel, is to do with too many short slow journeys, not enough time to regen the dpf, Also extended service intervals of 30Km are meant for an accumulation of longer fast runs. I've suffered two turbo fails and a punitive timing chain replacement in her 520d over a long period of ownership precisely because of this reason. If you only use the car socially or are creeping to work in rush hour traffic, get a petrol with stop start or hybrid.
    As for which type of car, I presumed you choice of an estate indicated your intended usage? The 190hp engine in the c class 220d is very good, really responsive, yet will return 60mpg in e mode on a long drive. Have a window shop around the local garages before heading over, try to test drive good examples, there's some terrible sh1te out there in some dealers. It's a personal choice in the end, but my favourite chariot in the last 15 years would have to have been the tfsi petrol engine in the Audi A6 C6 series. Newer versions of these are better again but a bit stiff to import with the higher VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get the 2.0. You’re going to the land of decent spec cars and you’re bringing back a 1.6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Looking for guidance on the V5, imported car the other day however dealer has v5 in my name and dealership address (obv done to tax car)
    Is this acceptable for VRT or do i need something amended?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VRT people don't care what name or address is on the V5 as long as it's the full V5C section of the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

bazz26 wrote: »
    VRT people don't care what name or address is on the V5 as long as it's the full V5C section of the document.

Thanks for that.
    Dealer has also filled in section 5..permanently exporting vehicle for more than 12 months..it has export date and Ireland filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

HI guys,

My insurance is up at end of month and looking to import next week.

Was hoping to switch insurance company but will they insure me on a UK reg while I'm waiting for vrt appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

HI guys,

Was hoping to switch insurance company but will they insure me on a UK reg while I'm waiting for vrt appointment?

You can switch your current insurance to the UK reg (valid for 30 days), but will have to off course renewe it at the end of the month

Debub wrote: »
    You can switch your current insurance to the UK reg (valid for 30 days), but will have to off course renewe it at the end of the month

Could I switch to the new insurance company now and then switch to the UK reg next week.

New insurance company a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

HI guys,

I've just renewed my insurance on a car waiting to be VRT'ed. I didn't switch company but getting quotes on a UK reg was no issue.

starWave wrote: »
    I've just renewed my insurance on a car waiting to be VRT'ed. I didn't switch company but getting quotes on a UK reg was no issue.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scottie2

dp639 wrote: »
    Meant to say I got an appointment the following day, so if anyone else can't get a slot online, phone up and you'll get one fairly quickly.

One question about the VRTVPD2 form, the invoice for the car is my name, so my details go into the section 3 of this form (Person who Purchased the vehicle...) but the car is to be registered in my wife's name.

Who signs the declaration at the bottom of the form, me as the person who bought the car or my wife as the person who the car will be registered too?

Anyone know answer to this? Is invoice not just in your wife's name?

scottie2 wrote: »

Buyer fills middle part, person to whom car is registered (wife) fills and signs bottom declaration as the new owner. If she's not present at the VRT inspection, you need a letter authorising you to register it on her behalf, and you need confirmation of her address, utility bill or bank statement, driver's license etc. Tricky if all that stuff is in your name. They won't accept her car insurance documents as proof of name and address.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Looking to import next week.

Would you bother with a motorcheck/cartell when buying a 2017 car off a reputable dealership in the North?

I believe a 2017 car will have no MOT yet.

Buying off of Agnew autoexchange in Belfast.

Hi guys,

Looking to import next week.

Would you bother with a motorcheck/cartell when buying a 2017 car off a reputable dealership in the North?

I believe a 2017 car will have no MOT yet.

Buying off of Agnew autoexchange in Belfast.

What warranty has it, 3rd party or remainder of 2-3 year manufacturer? Is it a UK plate they just imported themselves, or a local trade in. This is an almost new car, it should be impeccable. Get at least a multipoint checklist off them, you know the kind, all lights checked, tyres for damage, all window fuctions, a.c., seat functions, electric mirrors, seat belts head rests etc. I had a jammed passenger headrest on a recent import, copped after she heard bits rattling inside. Main Merc dealer wouldn't send me replacement,, £140 worth. You'll be covered in NI at least, you can drive up.

What warranty has it, 3rd party or remainder of 2-3 year manufacturer? Is it a UK plate they just imported themselves, or a local trade in. This is an almost new car, it should be impeccable. Get at least a multipoint checklist off them, you know the kind, all lights checked, tyres for damage, all window fuctions, a.c., seat functions, electric mirrors, seat belts head rests etc. I had a jammed passenger headrest on a recent import, copped after she heard bits rattling inside. Main Merc dealer wouldn't send me replacement,, £140 worth. You'll be covered in NI at least, you can drive up.

It's January 2017 so only has about 2 months manufacturer warranty left.

Sales guy says he will give a six month garage warrent.

I will ring to confirm exactly what this covers.

Good idea about the checklist will get that done too.

Does it matter if imported from the UK or traded in?

It's January 2017 so only has about 2 months manufacturer warranty left.

Sales guy says he will give a six month garage warrent.

I will ring to confirm exactly what this covers.

Good idea about the checklist will get that done too.

Does it matter if imported from the UK or traded in?
    Traded in might be a private local customer. UK plate means it's either a garage import, or someone in NI imported, than traded in but 2017 is a bit new for the latter. It sounds like a fleet car, coming to the end of its warranty. These are often PCP purchases, owned by the distributor, or a big main dealer, who sells them trade to other main or reputable dealers. Nothing wrong with this, my current ride is a 3l A6 Quattro ex PCP bought from Joe Duffy for a bargain price, 2015 Irish car they couldn't shift in January 2018 for €32k. I bought in August 2018 for €24k with 2 year warranty. No way could I have done as well importing, VRT and OMSP way too high. Her recent import also a PCP, last owner Mercedes UK. Headrest apart, which I repaired, it's a beauty, total cost to us €18k, dealers here looking for €24k on average. Best of luck!

Traded in might be a private local customer. UK plate means it's either a garage import, or someone in NI imported, than traded in but 2017 is a bit new for the latter. It sounds like a fleet car, coming to the end of its warranty. These are often PCP purchases, owned by the distributor, or a big main dealer, who sells them trade to other main or reputable dealers. Nothing wrong with this, my current ride is a 3l A6 Quattro ex PCP bought from Joe Duffy for a bargain price, 2015 Irish car they couldn't shift in January 2018 for €32k. I bought in August 2018 for €24k with 2 year warranty. No way could I have done as well importing, VRT and OMSP way too high. Her recent import also a PCP, last owner Mercedes UK. Headrest apart, which I repaired, it's a beauty, total cost to us €18k, dealers here looking for €24k on average. Best of luck!

Cheers deezell,

Have you any advice for my insurance problem?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058023399

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

scottie2 wrote: »

Invoice is in my name, just dont want any silly mess ups at the VRT office.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Buyer fills middle part, person to whom car is registered (wife) fills and signs bottom declaration as the new owner. If she's not present at the VRT inspection, you need a letter authorising you to register it on her behalf, and you need confirmation of her address, utility bill or bank statement, driver's license etc. Tricky if all that stuff is in your name. They won't accept her car insurance documents as proof of name and address.

Thanks, that sounds right and sounds logical. The only bit that was throwing me was down at the declaration part it states

'I, the undersigned, declare that I purchased the vehicle detailed above, and the information contained in this form is correct' - signed by Wife, even though above it will state in Section 3 that I purchased the vehicle.

dp639 wrote: »
    Thanks, that sounds right and sounds logical. The only bit that was throwing me was down at the declaration part it states

'I, the undersigned, declare that I purchased the vehicle detailed above, and the information contained in this form is correct' - signed by Wife, even though above it will state in Section 3 that I purchased the vehicle.

If you were a small undeclared dealer you would fill this in, then taxman can get you for profits! As you're family it's of no consequence, though you should charge wife a mark up, only proper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

currently lodging an appeal myself

do you mind me asking which OMSP was the €4k taken off?

The Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue

or

The Current OMSP determined by Revenue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just registered the car earlier today. The only glitch was herself had to bring statements back to the bank to have them stamped as they were copies but the lady processed everything else. When we got back an hour later she finished the process and it's all done and dusted now.

The vrt was the same as the price quoted on the online calculator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement