Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Did anyone have to wait to get their VRT fee after having the appointment. I was told they weren't able to give the VRT fee at my appointment, as it had to be referred to revenue. The car is in their system, so I'm not sure why it has to be checked specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

starWave wrote: »
    Did anyone have to wait to get their VRT fee after having the appointment. I was told they weren't able to give the VRT fee at my appointment, as it had to be referred to revenue. The car is in their system, so I'm not sure why it has to be checked specifically.

I got the same at an appointment two weeks for a 530e.

Got a text just now to say the valuation is available and call them.

Has this happened to anyone and have you haggled/appealed the revaluation?

niallo32 wrote: »
    I got the same at an appointment two weeks for a 530e.

Got a text just now to say the valuation is available and call them.

Has this happened to anyone and have you haggled/appealed the revaluation?

Mine is a 420d. It took two weeks to get the valuation? I'm already waiting 3 weeks to get the appointment, and another 10 days will push me past the 30 day limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Mine is a 420d. It took two weeks to get the valuation? I'm already waiting 3 weeks to get the appointment, and another 10 days will push me past the 30 day limit.

My insurance company have been threatening to cancel my policy unless I get them the Irish reg asap.

VRT gave me a letter saying the delay was on their side and AFAIK, the 30 day limit could be breached as the delay was on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I got the same today ,, was on system but V5 says sport in description so computer says no..

• Advertisement

Mine is in the computer, but probably because the mileage is really low, they want to make up a new number.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of getting the VRT sorted with the V62 form instead of a log book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭deezell

Mine is in the computer, but probably because the mileage is really low, they want to make up a new number.

VRT assumes average monthly milage of 1300 miles (2100km) for diesel, 1500km for other fuels, higher than this will get you a reduction, lower has no effect per as unless it's under 6000km. Late registrations have the desirable effect of increasing the average monthly mileage, so say a June 2018 car will have 16 months mileage, a Jan 2018 will have 21 months. If the car has 27000 miles say, you will get no milage reduction on the Jan reg, but will exceed the monthly average with the June reg, so the newer car will have less VRT, same 181 plate and later NCT date. Get an October reg with this milage, pay even less VRT, and get a 182 plate.
    You can have the OMSP reduced on a car for its condition, so say it has body damage, or equipment faults, you should be able to bargain down OMSP, by getting the car assessed as "Fair', or 'Poor', as against the standard of 'Good'. I wonder if this is open to abuse, it would not be difficult to fit damaged parts for an inspection, and considering the dodgy dealers out there....

Chijj wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Is the payment for VRT due on the same day as inspection or is Can it be paid on a later date?

Thanks

I stupidly thought I could put it all on my debit card, but the limit was €2500 per day. I was given some of the documentation back and told to come back and pay it. They don't complete the registration and won't give you your new reg number without payment. I got the missus to call up and pay the balance, got it sorted within 30 mins.
    VRT appeal successful, 4k taken off OMSP and will be refunded.

Took almost 4 weeks but happy with result.

Just wondering what you had to do to appeal the VRT figure? Do you need to find examples of cars for sale that are lower than the OMSP and provide links or is it just "fill out the form and hope for the best" kinda job?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Did my VRT inspection today and got my figure, I said I would come back and pay as its quite high and I need to get a bank draft.

I brought the car into the state on 5th October so really I have until 5th November to pay it but my question is how does the Motor Tax work?

If I pay the amount say tomorrow and the registration is complete and I get my registeration number, am I liable for Motor Tax for October - would I be better to wait until say 1st November or will I still be liable for Motor Tax for October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I just got my VRT appointment and it’s not until 7th of November. If Brexit goes ahead on 31st October, I assume I’m ok and I won’t be stung by VAT or any additional fees since the car was purchased and the appointment was made prior to the Brexit date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I stupidly thought I could put it all on my debit card, but the limit was €2500 per day. I was given some of the documentation back and told to come back and pay it. They don't complete the registration and won't give you your new reg number without payment. I got the missus to call up and pay the balance, got it sorted within

Are they ok then putting 2.5k on a debit card and balance on credit card?

Are they ok then putting 2.5k on a debit card and balance on credit card?

Yes. Two cards is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yes. Two cards is fine.

Is it a case of clearing with your bank? I’m with AIB and my Vrt was €4795 and I was able to pay with pin no problem. I didn’t clear it with them and I certainly haven’t stacks of cash in the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Is it a case of clearing with your bank? I’m with AIB and my Vrt was €4795 and I was able to pay with pin no problem. I didn’t clear it with them and I certainly haven’t stacks of cash in the account.

Yeah I paid 3k last week no problem with an Ulster Bank Visa debit card.

dp639 wrote: »
    Did my VRT inspection today and got my figure, I said I would come back and pay as its quite high and I need to get a bank draft.

I brought the car into the state on 5th October so really I have until 5th November to pay it but my question is how does the Motor Tax work?

If I pay the amount say tomorrow and the registration is complete and I get my registeration number, am I liable for Motor Tax for October - would I be better to wait until say 1st November or will I still be liable for Motor Tax for October?

Afaik you don't pay tax till the owner is registered and the licencing cert is generated. You won't get the reg no. till you pay, then about 2 working days after that the reg no becomes active (when you can enter it on the motor tax site). Once it appears there you can tax the car online, using the last digits of the VIN as the pin no, and you will have to tax it for the current month, so if its the 2 or 3rd of November, you've saved a month's tax. Btw, 31 days in October so don't turn up on the 5th November, you'll be a day late and will have to pay 0.1% by 31 extra, which on a €3000 VRT bill is an extra €93, annoying. Pay it on 3rd or 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭User1998

Does anyone know if they will transfer your MOT to NCT if you don’t have the original signed cert? I just printed the mot cert from the gov.uk website. Only difference is its not signed in the bottom right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

User1998 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they will transfer your MOT to NCT if you don’t have the original signed cert? I just printed the mot cert from the gov.uk website. Only difference is its not signed in the bottom right corner.

They sent mine back saying they will only accept original copy of cert.

I seen this note on the gov.uk, I wonder would this be classed as an original?
    You can also ask for a replacement certificate in person from any MOT centre. It does not have to be the centre that did the original MOT.

You’ll need to bring the vehicle registration (number plate) and log book (V5C) reference number. The centre can charge you up to £10.

Don't forget MOT on three year old cars from 2016 have no meaning as NCT starts at 4 years. Of limited use even then as they are valid at most for the remainder of a year, whereas the NCT is good for 2 years. If you have any kind of usable UK warranty, say from a NI purchase, the NCT is a useful way of sniffing out some issues before the warranty expires, especially emissions and exhaust, suspension and steering issues, and non wear related braking issues. I'll get the 2020 NCT due on her 2016 done in advance, 3 months max, as it will then still be covered by the 12 month UK warranty that came with the car. You never know what might show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

dp639 wrote: »

You have until the 4th. The price can change at any stage (up or down) and normally does change on the 1st of the month.

If you pay the VRT in October you tax it for October. You can tax it the next working day after its registered and you get your registration doc after you tax it

• Advertisement

I think it's specific to each bank. Mine is PTSB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I think it's specific to each bank. Mine is PTSB

Tsb generally have a limit of €2500, they're the only bank I ever have issues with transaction limits .

michellie wrote: »
    Tsb generally have a limit of €2500, they're the only bank I ever have issues with transaction limits .
    Quelle surprise. Transfer times poor also. In fairness through, I had a reasonable wodge of sterling in older £20s, which garage wouldn't take, UK banks wouldn't change, or lodge to Revolut. Brought it home, Aib declined, said post it (!) To UK central bank, but TSB just took it and lodged it at notes exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Some of you may recall I brought a 530e in on Oct 1st. Well, VRT office finally got back to me with a figure today of €3,256. I was expecting a lower figure - here's why.

A friend of mine also brought a 7-month old 530e in a week after me and managed to get his VRT figure on Monday. His is a 2019 car, cost him €36,500, with the following options:

M Sport Plus
    Reversing camera
    Comfort access
    Heads-up display
    Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
    Elec seats and memory

His VRT amount is €2,817.

My car is June 2018 and I have the same options except for HUD and the wireless charging. Purchase price was €33k. Anyone know why I am being asked to fork out nearly €500 more for my car?

madds wrote: »
    Some of you may recall I brought a 530e in on Oct 1st. Well, VRT office finally got back to me with a figure today of €3,256. I was expecting a lower figure - here's why.

A friend of mine also brought a 7-month old 530e in a week after me and managed to get his VRT figure on Monday. His is a 2019 car, cost him €36,500, with the following options:

M Sport Plus
    Reversing camera
    Comfort access
    Heads-up display
    Elec seats and memory

My car is June 2018 and I have the same options except for HUD and the wireless charging. Purchase price was €33k. Anyone know why I am being asked to fork out nearly €500 more for my car?

No idea why there is a difference, mileage maybe. Do hybrids cost less to vrt than diesels? Any diesel I looked at would be €5k-10k depending on the year to vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

madds wrote: »

M Sport Plus
    Reversing camera
    Comfort access
    Heads-up display
    Elec seats and memory

Is there a possibility that the vrt people used the wrong co2 figure for your friends one. There are 2 on the system 46 g co2 and 49g co2. The 49g cars produce a lower vrt figure by almost 1 thousand euro possibly due to those being a slightly earlier car.
    The figure looks right for your car tbh and too cheap for your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bdias

Hi all
    Hope you can help me with this
    Got a car in the UK begining of the month and didnt got the section of the V5 required to register the car in Ireland.
    Contacted the garage to find out if they still had the V5 but it was sent to DVLA by mistake.
    Contacted the DVLA and was told that they will not post a new V5 to Ireland.
    Did this happened to someone else? What way can i get a repacment V5?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bdias

DMBandit wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of getting the VRT sorted with the V62 form instead of a log book?
    Hi probably im in the same situation as you,dont have the V5 do you know the best way to go about this?tks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

bdias wrote: »
    Hi probably im in the same situation as you,dont have the V5 do you know the best way to go about this?tks
    There is a separate thread for this

• Advertisement

11wingnut wrote: »

There is a separate thread for this
    Have you a link for this?
    Meantime DVLA will send out replacement V5C, they wont send a 'new' one with your details and non UK address. Contact them again, you're looking for the original in order to export, as per the new V5C rules. Send them scans of what you have, garage receipt etc. Expect to wait, probably past the 30 day limit. You'll pay VRT penalty of 0.1% per day of your assessed VRT. Your insurance might be withdrawn depending on your insurer. It's a big error tbh, and a Pita to resolve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement