Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Does the Ford Transit Connect need to be weighed?

First time registration from UK to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Does the Ford Transit Connect need to be weighed?

First time registration from UK to Ireland.

all vrt for commercials is 200euro

revoke12 wrote: »
    all vrt for commercials is 200euro

I knew that part but I wanted to find out the weighing part.

I knew that part but I wanted to find out the weighing part.

They dont weigh any vans in the vrt centre

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't the vehicle's official weight on the registration document?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I doubt you'd have to weigh a standard Connect. I suspect that's mostly for converted vehicles and chassis cab vehicles once the body has been added. I got my Camper weighed and the VRT people looked at the docket with bemusement and gave it back.

I was thinking that, I was trying to go on memory. Its been about 7/8 years since I last imported a van. Going to NCTS centre on Tuesday to register and I am sure they will give me all the information thats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

What’s the procedure for trading in a car in the garage in the north import tax wise? Bought the car from them and I am looking to get different one and trade in the old one.

omri wrote: »
    What’s the procedure for trading in a car in the garage in the north import tax wise? Bought the car from them and I am looking to get different one and trade in the old one.

there's no import tax between the UK and the Republic (yet)

Have you asked the garage if they take a southern reg car as a trade-in? If they do then they will give you the Northern trade-in value of it against the new car. You pay the cost to change difference, then you go away and VRT the new car as per the standard procedure. The garage might VRT the new car on your behalf and will include that figure in any cost to change price. Totally depends on the garage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Sorry meant to say will I be getting VRT I paid on the current car back once I sell it to garage in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

omri wrote: »
    Sorry meant to say will I be getting VRT I paid on the current car back once I sell it to garage in the north?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/export-repayment-scheme/vrt-repayment-amount-enquiry.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

How long does the VRT appointment take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

sozbox wrote: »
    How long does the VRT appointment take?

Took me around 30 mins.

hi lads just wondering about peoples expeireicnes with regards buying privately off someone in north and bringing car down south and having it down here for a bit without vrting it. Yes I know it can only be i country 30 days you can get caught etc but im just looking at a nissan ps13 up north would only drive it here maybe 2-3 times a year wondering can the car be taxed if it isnt in my name etc or how does it work also any one know a company that would classic policy it here with the Uk reg until it would be vrtd car will need work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

hi lads just wondering about peoples expeireicnes with regards buying privately off someone in north and bringing car down south and having it down here for a bit without vrting it. Yes I know it can only be i country 30 days you can get caught etc but im just looking at a nissan ps13 up north would only drive it here maybe 2-3 times a year wondering can the car be taxed if it isnt in my name etc or how does it work also any one know a company that would classic policy it here with the Uk reg until it would be vrtd car will need work etc.

That's illegal and you run the risk of having your car impounded. You can't tax it without first registering it in the country. You also can't insure it beyond 30 days without providing an Irish registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bjwport

Hi lads.. My girlfriend and I are moving from London to Ireland at the end of the year, I'm Irish she isn't. She bought a uk reg. car a fortnight ago and wants to bring it over with her. As a new resident we are hoping she won't have to pay VRT as the car will be in her name for longer than 6 months. Will she have to have any type of meeting with revenue? What evidence will she need to say that she has been living in the uk? Thanks

Bjwport wrote: »
    Hi lads.. My girlfriend and I are moving from London to Ireland at the end of the year, I'm Irish she isn't. She bought a uk reg. car a fortnight ago and wants to bring it over with her. As a new resident we are hoping she won't have to pay VRT as the car will be in her name for longer than 6 months. Will she have to have any type of meeting with revenue? What evidence will she need to say that she has been living in the uk? Thanks

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bjwport

Thanks Bazz,

Read all of these things a few times. Wondering if anybody has really been through the system though. If somebody could speak from experience like. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bjwport wrote: »
    Thanks Bazz,

Read all of these things a few times. Wondering if anybody has really been through the system though. If somebody could speak from experience like. Thanks

I did it 3 years ago. If moving to Dublin, you have to send off all paperwork proofs by post tobTallaght. In other parts of the country you can try to deal with it in person. It’s a process. Meet the conditions and provide the proofs, old address, new address, old job, new job (if applicable), ownership and use of car for 6 months before you leave etc. The latter is important, a recent case involved someone buying a car 6 months before moving back and spending much of the 6 months travelling. Revenue tried to deny VRT relief but was batted back. Provide UKninsurance (don’t just buy and put in storage for 6 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've been through it also, twice.
    Have all your paper work in order. By asking the question now, you won't have an issue.
    Have a receipt for
    * The car and when you bought it
    * Any expense in the UK with the car, e.g. fuel, tax, insurance etc.
    * Utility bills to show you were in the UK
    * Your ferry ticket and when you came into the country with it.
    * If dealing with Tallaght get it all posted off straight away, or if you're down the country, get the meeting booked ASAP.

It's really just about proving you did own the car for 6 months in the UK, and it was your car, i.e. you didn't buy it and leave it in storage.

As far as I know, all Irish insurance companies will only insure a UK car for a maximum of 30 days before asking you to switch to an Irish reg car.

How do people manage to keep a UK reg car in Ireland for more than a month while Irish insurance companies only insure for 30 days :confused::confused:

Amouar wrote: »
    As far as I know, all Irish insurance companies will only insure a UK car for a maximum of 30 days before asking you to switch to an Irish reg car.

How do people manage to keep a UK reg car in Ireland for more than a month while Irish insurance companies only insure for 30 days :confused::confused:

i already brought over a bmw 2 months ago and changed reg, this would be only a car im working on will need new respray etc and prob wont put it on the road for a few months so was wondering can i avoid paying the vrt for a few months even tho it wont be on the road.

Amouar wrote: »

worse, after 30 days they have to inform the Revenue...

Isambard wrote: »
    worse, after 30 days they have to inform the Revenue...

I've seen at least one UK reg car near where i live where the car has been in Ireland for over 2 months now. Really wondering how they manage to do that as insurance only covers for 30 days max.

Maybe they are not resident here?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe they are not resident here?

The car is being driven everyday and parked every night in my apartment bloc common parking the past 2 months...

I mean they could be living here temporarily from the UK. My understanding is that in those circumstances you would be allowed drive your foreign reg car for up to something like 12 months before having to register it here. The car could still be taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

yoozername wrote: »
    Hi all,

When registering the car here, do I need the sales invoice to show the VAT? The sales order form doesn't show any VAT, I'm wondering if the invoice will, but it does say "non VAT qualifying vehicle".

It's a main Audi dealer, if that matters, and the car is over 6 months old and has more than 6000 km.

I've asked the dealer to confirm if the VAT will be detailed, but just wondering if anyone here knows whether I actually need it to be detailed in order to register it, to avoid having a VAT liability here.

Thanks

Paid the VRT today. I can confirm an invoice detailing VAT is NOT necessary (as other users had already mentioned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

sozbox wrote: »
    The checklist they send by email mentions a Registration Declaration form in the first box but it doesn’t link to this form. I had to google it.

On the VRTVPD2 form section 3 .

The section says “person who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner of the vehicle .

Does it mean that if a different person brought the car in and does not intend to be the owner of the vehicle . They they need to file this out ? So in this case is it left blank ?

Am I reading this correctly .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement