Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

lynchieboy wrote: »
    If you want to be in and out in the same day it is the only way to go, bank transfers or bank drafts will take at least a couple of days,

Not entirely correct. Money can be transferred in just over an hour if done before 3pm weekdays with the right co.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Not entirely correct. Money can be transferred in just over an hour if done before 3pm weekdays with the right co.

I inquired with AIB customer service and they advised me to bring cash! when I was picking up the cash from AIB the cashier agreed that cash was the only way to go. If you are booking a one way ticket and need to make a ferry crossing any other method is a risk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bank transfers

22 minutes, last time.
    It depends on which company you go with- and the time of day.

I inquired with AIB customer service and they advised me to bring cash! when I was picking up the cash from AIB the cashier agreed that cash was the only way to go. If you are booking a one way ticket and need to make a ferry crossing any other method is a risk.

Aib quite frankly are clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

22 minutes, last time.
    It depends on which company you go with- and the time of day.

Because you say company - as opposed to - bank - im assuming you mean some crowd like Western Union???

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    Because you say company - as opposed to - bank - im assuming you mean some crowd like Western Union???

Fexco.
    I wouldn't classify them in the same breath as Western Union- they are a reputable company, based in Ireland, with a good track record, and not associated with scammers. They're also easy to deal with- and very good at what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Whats wrong with western union ?

ryan101 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with western union ?

Its tarnished with its 419 associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I wouldn't send money with WU unless it was to someone I know. Receiving is another matter

Fexco.
    I wouldn't classify them in the same breath as Western Union- they are a reputable company, based in Ireland, with a good track record, and not associated with scammers. They're also easy to deal with- and very good at what they do.

Nice one thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If you want to be in and out in the same day it is the only way to go, bank transfers or bank drafts will take at least a couple of days,

I would be very surprised if a dealer accepts cash. They don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

etxp wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if a dealer accepts cash. They don't like it!

Phone ahead to make sure it is ok. The one I dealt with had no problem with it, they had a cash counting machine so it was counted in a few seconds, I think the max they can accept is £10000 without notifying the inland revenue. Just phone them first, throwing 8 or 10 grand cash on the table when they weren't expecting it might cause problems.

Phone ahead to make sure it is ok. The one I dealt with had no problem with it, they had a cash counting machine so it was counted in a few seconds, I think the max they can accept is £10000 without notifying the inland revenue. Just phone them first, throwing 8 or 10 grand cash on the table when they weren't expecting it might cause problems.

I've bought quite a few cars in uk and not one of them accepted it. I personally wouldn't deal with a dealer that would accept cash!

I've bought quite a few cars in uk and not one of them accepted it. I personally wouldn't deal with a dealer that would accept cash!

Did you do a transfer of the funds with someone like Fexco like The Conductor refers to above????

Old diesel wrote: »
    Did you do a transfer of the funds with someone like Fexco like The Conductor refers to above????

I have an English account with a debit card, just transfer the money over when I need too.

I have an English account with a debit card, just transfer the money over when I need too.

so, you likely got a poor standard rate from your bank. Most of the money transfer co's give better rates than the bank. and on a big ticket purchase like a car, it can save a lot of €€€

so, you likely got a poor standard rate from your bank. Most of the money transfer co's give better rates than the bank. and on a big ticket purchase like a car, it can save a lot of €€€

I've got a pretty good rate when ever I have done it. Not enough of a saving to warrant me using a transfer co

I've got a pretty good rate when ever I have done it. Not enough of a saving to warrant me using a transfer co

wow, you did well,cos I'm at this every week, and the banks never deviate from their standard rate...thats how fexco or moneycorp easily beat them all the time. What bank did you use?

wow, you did well,cos I'm at this every week, and the banks never deviate from their standard rate...thats how fexco or moneycorp easily beat them all the time. What bank did you use?

I use natwest/ulster bank. Tbh I have only done if the once, other times I had uk money already in the account!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

I cannot vouch for those that you are dealing with but I have never had a problem with dealers accepting cash.
    I give them cash they issue a receipt.I have time to get the best rate, I have cash to negotiate with.and Ihave a UK account.
    Previously I have had delays where dealers rightfully waited for drafts to clear.
    Transferring money is not on my agenda as it costs money and if there is a problem with the dealer or the car you n be steering yourself into big delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

That is not entirely true. Any dealer who is above board will have registered as regards the Money Laundering regulations.
    They were posted here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90216585&postcount=3459

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

wow, you did well,cos I'm at this every week, and the banks never deviate from their standard rate
    They will at a push. When I went to put through a transfer from an AIB account to a transfer company they asked what rate I was getting and, after a phone call to HQ, were able to match it. This was part of a house purchase, so that amount was bigger than most car purchases would be, but if you're moving a big amount it's worth asking.

They will at a push. When I went to put through a transfer from an AIB account to a transfer company they asked what rate I was getting and, after a phone call to HQ, were able to match it. This was part of a house purchase, so that amount was bigger than most car purchases would be, but if you're moving a big amount it's worth asking.

No. Its not. Because they cant seem to have cash with a vendor in 60 mins like others can.

sorry lads - posted in wrong thread

Sometimes people are selling cars in Ireland that have a UK reg, e.g. something they imported themselves, never registered here and decided to sell on. If you buy a car like this, is it hard to get it VRT'd, i.e. will you be asked for proof it has only recently been imported etc. ?

Sometimes people are selling cars in Ireland that have a UK reg, e.g. something they imported themselves, never registered here and decided to sell on. If you buy a car like this, is it hard to get it VRT'd, i.e. will you be asked for proof it has only recently been imported etc. ?

yes, you will.......and could find yourself in awful bother.

It's illegal to sell a UK registered car here (without paying the duties on it) to another person. Don't fall for it.

There is plenty of good dealers doing it by the book - that pay all their taxes,employ people and do it for a fulltime living. Consider supporting them - as opposed to the dodgy dealers on DD, flogging yokes on yella plates, and you think you are getting a bargain, but all you are getting is no warranty, no reciept, no comeback, no nothing.

Be carefull out there.

yes, you will.......and could find yourself in awful bother.

It's illegal to sell a UK registered car here (without paying the duties on it) to another person. Don't fall for it.

There is plenty of good dealers doing it by the book - that pay all their taxes,employ people and do it for a fulltime living. Consider supporting them - as opposed to the dodgy dealers on DD, flogging yokes on yella plates, and you think you are getting a bargain, but all you are getting is no warranty, no reciept, no comeback, no nothing.

Be carefull out there.

I agree, I just see them advertised all the time, so someone must be getting away with it, are they pretending it's only just been imported and faking UK invoices to get round it or what ?

I agree, I just see them advertised all the time, so someone must be getting away with it, are they pretending it's only just been imported and faking UK invoices to get round it or what ?

all sorts ...clocked yokes,cat D's, you name it being flogged of from car parks .......madness....

all sorts ...clocked yokes,cat D's, you name it being flogged of from car parks .......madness....

It is all right, and probably makes it near impossible for legit dealers to make a living competing with the likes of that.

• Advertisement

It is all right, and probably makes it near impossible for legit dealers to make a living competing with the likes of that.

ohhh, I manage :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement