Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    I am sure you could come to an arrangement with the seller as regards putting extra mileage on the car.
    There is no problem with somebody else bringing the car in.
    In fact you can nominate someone else in writing to process it through the VRT system also

Thanks for that.
    The seller is a dealer, so it would just be a matter of getting them to write down a different mileage on the invoice i suppose.
    And then I guess the only other thing I need from them is the V5 cert. And the car :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Who did that?

The UK treasury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

The UK treasury.
    Yes, but all they did was to update the regulations and the only significant addition was to include the sale of overseas properties into the real estate agents portfolio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm considering buying an NI reg car privately.
    There isnt a fsh unfortunately but should this be a definite deal breaker?
    What should I ask the seller and what do I need to know that they might not tell me :D

Thanks all

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm considering buying an NI reg car privately.
    There isnt a fsh unfortunately but should this be a definite deal breaker?
    What should I ask the seller and what do I need to know that they might not tell me :D

Thanks all

Buying any car without a fsh is a big risk, but (imo) would be an absolute no-no from a private seller. At least with a dealer you would have some sort of comeback if anything catastrophic happened within a few months - with a private seller you have zero comeback - hence a fsh is essential to at least give you some sense of how the car has been cared for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have a car which I purchased from the UK and imported last weekend for my sister, I know I have 7 days to make an appointment with the NCT centre. I paid for the car and the receipt of purchase is in my name.

I wonder should I make the VRT appointment in my sisters name or in my own name? I'm not sure what the procedure is afterwards and we want the Irish Registration Certificate (Tax-Book) to be in my sisters name and for her to be the registered owner in Ireland.

Also can the car be taxed after paying its VRT or will it need to get its NCT done first?

We'd prefer also to pay the motor-tax from May 1st rather than April 1st so I'm wondering after VRT'ing and NCT-ing is it possible to sign the Off the Road declaration (SORN) or will Aprils road tax have to be paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have a car which I purchased from the UK and imported last weekend for my sister, I know I have 7 days to make an appointment with the NCT centre. I paid for the car and the receipt of purchase is in my name.

I wonder should I make the VRT appointment in my sisters name or in my own name? I'm not sure what the procedure is afterwards and we want the Irish Registration Certificate (Tax-Book) to be in my sisters name and for her to be the registered owner in Ireland.

Also can the car be taxed after paying its VRT or will it need to get its NCT done first?

We'd prefer also to pay the motor-tax from May 1st rather than April 1st so I'm wondering after VRT'ing and NCT-ing is it possible to sign the Off the Road declaration (SORN) or will Aprils road tax have to be paid for?

Car can be taxed after paying VRT (I think usually you can do it online one or two days after registering and paying VRT). NCT is irrelevant for it. NCT can be booked only few days after first taxing a vehicle.

In relation to paying motortax only from May, simplest thing to do is wait with VRTing until May.
    As you just imported a car, log into NCTS website for VRT assessment, and book your appointment for beginning of May (just make sure it's within 30 days from importing vehicle).
    Another benefit of delaying VRT appointment until May is that most likely your VRT figure to pay will be lower.

I don't really know if having receipt in your name and VRTing and registering in your sister name is an issue or not. I'd guess it shouldn' t be, but it's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I paid for the car and the receipt of purchase is in my name.

Cinio is right about everything else. To put it in your sisters name, just bring her details on the day of VRT appointment (bills, ID, PPS etc). I'm not sure if she actually has to be there herself, but from memory I don't think she does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

gutteruu wrote: »
    Cinio is right about everything else. To put it in your sisters name, just bring her details on the day of VRT appointment (bills, ID, PPS etc). I'm not sure if she actually has to be there herself, but from memory I don't think she does.

To place the car in her name, he requires -

A signed letter from her stating that she allows her bro to put the car in her name

Proof of address for her, Utility bill etc - Not copies - original

Proof of her PPSN

Her ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

I hope you are aware of the changes that came in in January relative to filling in additional documentation.
    In particular the VRTVPD FORMS that must be filled out prior to appearing at the centre.

It may work for you to leave the inspection date to May as regards taxing the car but remember if you do not have everything correct on the day you will need to re-book an inspection and the clock does not stop ticking.

In other words if the re inspection goes over thirty days you will be into penalty time so give yourself time. You can always declare the car off the road for april if you want to avoid April tax and you do not mind not driving it.

The instructions are as follows
    Please print and fill out the following Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle
    Please print and fill out the following Form VRTVPD2 for Private vehicles

Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration in the case of a vehicle imported from outside the EU, as appropriate, if the car has been previously registered. (A Vehicle Salvage Certificate cannot be used to register a vehicle from 20th February 2012) If the car has not been previously registered a Certificate of Conformity is required (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre).

Vehicle invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated.

If registering the vehicle on behalf of another customer, you must provide a signed letter from the customer authorising that the vehicle can be registered in their name.
    Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Payslip with address, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only))
    Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months

Personal Public Service (PPS) Number of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered to (Official documentation will only be accepted i.e Social Services Card, P60)

For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.
    Where an exemption from VRT is claimed, the exemption notification letter issued by Revenue.
    Documentation (as approved by the Revenue Commissioners) confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture (if this information is not on the foreign certificate of registration). Where evidence of the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture is not available at registration VRT will be charged at the highest rate applicable.

you are registering a vehicle on behalf of someone else please provide all the documents mentioned above and also ensure that you have your own drivers licence and the drivers licence or passport of the person who you are registering the vehicle for.
    Sorry for the paste n post but this has been posted several times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Hi all,

Thinking of going over to imperial in the next couple of months for a 320d ed.

I know this has been asked before but has anyone used the likes of currencyfair to pay for a car over there? Has anyone made a bank transfer from a UK to UK account on a Saturday? If so how long does it take, or on a weekday for that matter?

Don't fancy carrying 10k in cash and I don't think they even take it, and both that and a draft are expensive and at the banks crap rate, similarly visa debit max is 2.5k and credit card fee is 3%!

Seems I'm pretty snookered at the moment.

Want to do it all in a day, view, pay and drive away, so I'd rather not go over twice due to waiting for a draft/transfer to clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

PaulKK wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of going over to imperial in the next couple of months for a 320d ed.

I know this has been asked before but has anyone used the likes of currencyfair to pay for a car over there? Has anyone made a bank transfer from a UK to UK account on a Saturday? If so how long does it take, or on a weekday for that matter?

Don't fancy carrying 10k in cash and I don't think they even take it, and both that and a draft are expensive and at the banks crap rate, similarly visa debit max is 2.5k and credit card fee is 3%!

Seems I'm pretty snookered at the moment.

Want to do it all in a day, view, pay and drive away, so I'd rather not go over twice due to waiting for a draft/transfer to clear.

U hav pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

MidlandsM wrote: »
    U hav pm

Much obliged, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucylucy608

thanks for your sharing!very useful,good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

This may have been discussed previously but I can't find anything via search but
    the q is

I know a lot of people who have bought cars in the uk recently and none of them seem to worry about the lack of comeback if ie an engine blows up or there are unforeseen (ie even after a thorough check) expensive problems.

I'm looking to get a car in Sept/Oct but I can't afford a 2-3 year old model which would still be under manufacturers warranty and whats the point of having a dealers 1 warranty from a UK dealer (or up north) as I'd hardly be in a position to bring the car to them for a fix

Am I missing something or is it just a risk people are happy to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

photosmart wrote: »
    This may have been discussed previously but I can't find anything via search but
    the q is

I know a lot of people who have bought cars in the uk recently and none of them seem to worry about the lack of comeback if ie an engine blows up or there are unforeseen (ie even after a thorough check) expensive problems.

I'm looking to get a car in Sept/Oct but I can't afford a 2-3 year old model which would still be under manufacturers warranty and whats the point of having a dealers 1 warranty from a UK dealer (or up north) as I'd hardly be in a position to bring the car to them for a fix

Am I missing something or is it just a risk people are happy to take?
    That's pretty much it. Thats why it would be well advised to get an AA check performed before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Yes it is a risk, it has worked out so far me, service history will help, but the money you save is your 'warranty' same as buying private here, I went to look at a car in the north recently, the guy said he would give me three months warranty, I said not interested as I knew if I had a problem he would do his best to get out of it. If you had a problem with a car you got in the north unless you live near the border and the car was not mobile the cost of towing it up would be €€€, and the hassle involved would be too much, days off work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Exactly. I always ask for cash off instead of a warranty. Your basically paying thousands extra to cover you on the small chance of something breaking that usually costs in the hundreds. Makes no sense. People get too caught up in the whole warranty deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want a guarantee in the shape of a warranty then you either have to buy a car that still has a manufacturer's warranty that is honoured over here or forget about the UK and buy from a reputable dealer at home. There is no middle ground except all you can do is pay to have the car inspected thoroughly before purchasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭johnjoe1966

need to replace 2005 honda accord 2.2.

New Accords too expensive and fancy something different. hopefully 2010 or even 2011 with less than 80K miles and under max of €19,000.00

Q's

Any recommendations between :BMW 320/5 series/c class/Audi A4/A5

Any recommendations re garages in UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

need to replace 2005 honda accord 2.2.

New Accords too expensive and fancy something different. hopefully 2010 or even 2011 with less than 80K miles and under max of €19,000.00

Q's

Any recommendations between :BMW 320/5 series/c class/Audi A4/A5

Any recommendations re garages in UK?

check out cargiant.co.uk its a good place to start for prices.
    its a car supermarkat for want of a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

If I want to import a damaged/repairable car, will the customs value the car less the cost of fixing it, and therefore calculate the vrt on the lower price. Or how does it work

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If I want to import a damaged/repairable car, will the customs value the car less the cost of fixing it, and therefore calculate the vrt on the lower price. Or how does it work

They don't care whether it is damaged/repairable and will not value it any less afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Only roadworthy vehicles can be presented for VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Does anyone know the cost of re-registering an Irish reg car in the UK?
    The car was originally on English plates. Am moving to the UK in a few weeks and would prefer not to be using foreign plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

royster999 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cost of re-registering an Irish reg car in the UK?
    The car was originally on English plates. Am moving to the UK in a few weeks and would prefer not to be using foreign plates.

Free.

However, you're entitled to drive on Irish plates for up to six months, even longer if you're a student. Why have local plates and run the risk of speed / ANPR cameras? Stick with Irish plates for as long as the law allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A UK resident (which is what he will be) is not entitled to drive a foreign registered car (exact situation as applies to an Irish Resident). They are a lot stricter there than here.

They only deem you "resident" if you stay for at least six months. Less than that and the OP can, quite legitimately, claim he's only in the UK temporarily. As long as he can prove he's lived there for less than six months he'll be fine.
    The EU says:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm
    The UK says:
    https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Would I re-register the car on its original English plates?

• Advertisement

royster999 wrote: »
    Would I re-register the car on its original English plates?

IF you choose to re-register the vehicle with the DVLA, usually the car's original registration number is assigned, if it is still available (and it usually is).

Tip:
    Go to this website and input the original registration number and vehicle make. If your vehicle is returned in the search result (Export Marker = "Y"), then the original registration number is still available and that it what will be reassigned to it upon re-registration. Of course, if it is over three years old it will need an MOT and, obviously, taxing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement