Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

I'm buying a KIA from a dealer in Peterborough next week for €8000. What's the best way to pay? how long does it take for an international bank transfer to go through? is a sterling draft better or what about turning up with cash. I need to be on the ferry the same day so cant be hanging around waiting for a transfer to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

lynchieboy wrote: »
    I'm buying a KIA from a dealer in Peterborough next week for €8000. What's the best way to pay? how long does it take for an international bank transfer to go through? is a sterling draft better or what about turning up with cash. I need to be on the ferry the same day so cant be hanging around waiting for a transfer to go through.

I am a firm believer in cash. Saves a lot of problems if time gets tight or there is a change in circumstances.use a concealed money belt just to be sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You may have difficulty withdrawing 8k in cash- under money laundering legislation. Its quite unusual to pay that sort of a sum in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I would go with cash, I managed to get another £100 off the price when I was at the dealer, if I did a transfer it would have been the full amount, just bring the bank receipt with you to show you have the cash legally....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Not if the Customs there can show he has signed a 12 month lease for instance or a contract of employment . They would need proof that his main residence is still in Ireland and they don't mess around.

• Advertisement

clogher71 wrote: »
    I would go with cash, I managed to get another £100 off the price when I was at the dealer, if I did a transfer it would have been the full amount, just bring the bank receipt with you to show you have the cash legally....
    Cash is King. I have brought cash on almost every occasion and on the odd occasion that I did not it resulted in delays and ackwardness.
    I never had a problem with customs.
    Of course if you "are known to the police" etc it might be a different story:D

High Value Dealers and Money Laundering Regulations
    Any business which accepts cash payments of ay least € 15,000 (or equivalent in any currency) in exchange for goods is a High Value Dealer and must register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for supervision under the Money Laundering Regulations 2007.
    This guide will help you decide if you need to register as a High Value Dealer and includes links to information on how to register.
    On this page:
    What is a High Value Dealer?
    When you don't need to register as a High Value Dealer
    Registering with HMRC as a High Value Dealer
    What is a High Value Dealer?
    The term High Value Dealer has a special meaning under The Money Laundering Regulations 2007. The Regulations describe a High Value Dealer as any firm or sole trader that receives high value payments of €15,000 or more in cash in exchange for goods.
    A high value payment is a payment in any currency equivalent to €15,000 which is made either in a single transaction or in several installments which are linked. Cash payments made to you in person or directly into a bank account are high value payments if they meet the above criteria.
    Below is a summary of all the circumstance that HMRC class as High Value Payments:
    a single cash payment of 15,000 Euros or more
    several cash payments totalling 15,000 Euros or more, including a series of payments and payments on account
    cash paid by a customer totalling 15,000 Euros or more in any 90 day period
    cash payments totalling 15,000 Euros or more which appear to have been broken down into smaller amounts to come below the High Value Payment limit
    Examples Rdof High Value Dealers
    Certain types of business are particularly likely to be High Value Dealers examples include:
    motor dealers
    jewelers
    antique and fine art dealers
    boat dealers
    builders, bathroom and kitchen suppliers
    auctioneers and brokers
    Businesses such as auctioneers and yacht brokers may not ever own the goods they sell. But if they receive high value cash payments for them then they are High Value Dealers.
    This may be of assistance.
    From HMRC.gov.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I went with a family member to buy a car in Scotland about 7 or 8 years ago, and took £8k in cash.

Although we split the money in half, carrying £4k each was bloody nerve racking! You were checking your holdall and pocket every 2mins to make sure you hadn't dropped it or been pick-pocketed.

Some sweat.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I went with a family member to buy a car in Scotland about 7 or 8 years ago, and took £8k in cash.

Although we split the money in half, carrying £4k each was bloody nerve racking! You were checking your holdall and pocket every 2mins to make sure you hadn't dropped it or been pick-pocketed.

Some sweat.

Use a money belt. It is only a few euro and gives you great peace of mind as you know whereIit is at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Hi all

Just comparing prices on versos here vs uk

Example

2009 60k miles is around 7500 sterling or 9100 euro and I'm getting vrt of 2156
    from revenue website which works out at about 11300 give or take

Similar cars here on carzone asking price is about 15000 so im looking at a saving of around 3000+
    once ferry and other costs are included..could this be right?

I can't believe the asking prices for verso's on carzone so thats why i checked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Hi folks, I'm reluctant to ask questions that have more than likely been asked before but having done a search and read through a number of pages I didn't see the answers I am looking for so perhaps someone might help me out please.

On this form where would I get the information to put in Section A 9 and 10 ?

Bagenal wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm reluctant to ask questions that have more than likely been asked before but having done a search and read through a number of pages I didn't see the answers I am looking for so perhaps someone might help me out please.

On this form where would I get the information to put in Section A 9 and 10 ?
    (9)You will get the CO2 at V7 on the V5C-vehicle log book.

(10) you will get type approval number at K on the V5C.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I'm in the market for a newish family car at the moment. Something reliable from 2008 on.

What's worth importing from the UK at the moment ?

ryan101 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a newish family car at the moment. Something reliable from 2008 on.

What's worth importing from the UK at the moment ?
    That is a hard ask without stating your budget and the type of car you want.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    That is a hard ask without stating your budget and the type of car you want.

Family car, diesel, probably hatchback though not essential, reliable and around the 2008-9, that's what I can afford here, and something I can sell on easy in 2-3 years.

I've no specific make/model in mind, there's quite a few I would be happy with from Avensis, Corrolla, Golf, Octavia, etc. and as they could actually be cheaper here, that's why I was asking, what makes and models are currently best value over in the UK, as I don't want to rule anything out, or miss a model that might be good value there that I had not thought of. Value and ability to sell/trade in a former UK Car on again in 2-3 years, without getting screwed again at trade in time are my main concerns, otherwise I might as well buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The main reasons for buying in the UK these days is that you have a far better chance of getting a car in better condition, with a full service history and better spec. Saving money on the initial purchase price however may not be anywhere near where it was say 5 years so I would not put it at the top of my list of reasons to go to the UK for a car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The main reasons for buying in the UK these days is that you have a far better chance of getting a car in better condition, with a full service history and better spec. Saving money on the initial purchase price however may not be anywhere near where it was say 5 years so I would not put it at the top of my list of reasons to go to the UK for a car.

Cheers, saving money would have been my main reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I would be happy with from Avensis, Corrolla, Golf, Octavia,.

Ryan, on the cars you list, the kind of "bread and Butter" cars in the trade, you will buy, import and vrt cheaper than you can buy here.

you need to identify specific makes and models, and just do the sums, but take it from someone in the trade doing this for a living, you will save a few bob.;)

Stay away from problem cars of that era. Viz diesels such as those wit the 1.6 psa -of Ford Peugeot manufacture -engine unless it comes with a full service history and shows that the proper oil was used.
    I am a firm believer in the Hyundai i30 and the Kia Ceed.
    They are a very good reliable car and have a good resale value.
    If you are going for the 09 or 10 models you will benefit from the balance of the manufacturer's warranty of five years, unlimited mileage on the Hyundai and the seven year 100, 000 warranty on the Kia.
    If the Hyundia is serviced at any time outside of a main dealer it will have to be done at a VAT registered garage and accompanied by a VAT invoice.
    The Kia can also be serviced outside of a main dealer provided that original equipment is used.

Stay away from problem cars of that era. Viz diesels such as those wit the 1.6 psa -of Ford Peugeot manufacture -engine unless it comes with a full service history and shows that the proper oil was used.
    I am a firm believer in the Hyundai i30 and the Kia Ceed.
    They are a very good reliable car and have a good resale value.
    If you are going for the 09 or 10 models you will benefit from the balance of the manufacturer's warranty of five years, unlimited mileage on the Hyundai and the seven year 100, 000 warranty on the Kia.
    If the Hyundia is serviced at any time outside of a main dealer it will have to be done at a VAT registered garage and accompanied by a VAT invoice.
    The Kia can also be serviced outside of a main dealer provided that original equipment is used.

Cheers, never thought of Kia and Hyundai.

The missus has a hankering for Qashqai, in general are they cheaper to bring in from the UK ?

• Advertisement

The missus has a hankering for Qashqai, in general are they cheaper to bring in from the UK ?
    Would you buy a Renault because that is what you will be driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

they make strong money in the uk, very good seller there also, so prices are firm.

Would you buy a Renault because that is what you will be driving.

Funny I do have a soft spot for Renaults, but I agree some are more reliable than others, and some give awful problems. So you have to pick the model carefully when dealing with that make. I still like em though.

It's getting that way with most cars though, the model is a better guide to reliability than the actual make.

I went with £8000 cash last Thursday, got questioned at cork airport when the cash was x-rayed but it was below the max of €10000 you can take out without declaring it, I also had the receipt from the bank and the invoice from the car dealer. It does make for a bit of a nervous journey but there is no other way to get in and out in the same day. 06:25 flight to Stansted, 8:20 train to Peterborough, drive to Holyhead for 17:15 ferry drive to Cork, home for 22:30.

Car (2011 Kia Carens crdi 2 15585 miles) €10000.
    Flights €110.
    Ferry €220
    Train €25.
    Diesel €70.
    VRT €3300.
    Total €13725.

The same car here would cost at least €17000. So I reckon I saved over €3000

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Low mileage too - well wear! Great price and as long as you know what you are looking for you are bound to find a better spec car than what you would get here for far better money

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lynchieboy wrote: »
    I went with £8000 cash last Thursday, got questioned at cork airport when the cash was x-rayed but it was below the max of €10000 you can take out without declaring it, I also had the receipt from the bank and the invoice from the car dealer. It does make for a bit of a nervous journey but there is no other way to get in and out in the same day. 06:25 flight to Stansted, 8:20 train to Peterborough, drive to Holyhead for 17:15 ferry drive to Cork, home for 22:30.

Car (2011 Kia Carens crdi 2 15585 miles) €10000.
    Flights €110.
    Ferry €220
    Train €25.
    Diesel €70.
    VRT €3300.
    Total €13725.

The same car here would cost at least €17000. So I reckon I saved over €3000

Here is one on sale asking €15k, probably buy it for less than that with no trade-in:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=45313982267653890&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20KIA%20Carens%2C%20Oldest%3A%202011%2C%20Newest%3A%202011%2C%20Diesel%20Only%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=135012789&CFTOKEN=22318661&jsessionid=f0308841be1728a5ce2f7662222754546e13

Still a saving but not thousands. Well wear btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

@ timmy4u2
    Thanks for the prompt response to my previous questions,I have a couple of more you might be able to help me with.

(1) On the VRTVPD2 form it asks for the VAT amount, the invoice I got states the Invoice Total including VAT i.e. it doesn't show a seperate VAT amount, would it be OK to calculate the VAT amount myself and fill in or does it need to be shown on the Invoice?

(2) Regarding the VRTFormFinal Version at Section A 11 it asks for the number of windows (excluding windscreen or sunroof), on the car I bought the drivers and passenger doors have small glass sections as well as the main glass, are those small glass sections counted as windows for the purposes of this part of the form?

(3) On the same form as at (2) at Section B 3 it asks for the Month and Year of Manufacture, there is nothing on the V5C Registration Certificate regarding this, where could I get this?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A how long is a piece of string question - but do we think there are savings to be made on something like a 2011 Auris hybrid (bear with me) or a 2011 Superb 2.0 tdi 170 (with plenty of toys obviously).

The idea of lugging large amounts of cash around is VERY unlikely to go down well with my brother imo though - is that really the only way to do it IF buying form a dealer????

Old diesel wrote: »
    A how long is a piece of string question - but do we think there are savings to be made on something like a 2011 Auris hybrid (bear with me) or a 2011 Superb 2.0 tdi 170 (with plenty of toys obviously).

The idea of lugging large amounts of cash around is VERY unlikely to go down well with my brother imo though - is that really the only way to do it IF buying form a dealer????

If you want to be in and out in the same day it is the only way to go, bank transfers or bank drafts will take at least a couple of days,

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

That one is a 2 litre the one I picked up is a 1.6 so cheaper road tax. I cant even find a 1.6 2011 for sale in this country never mind enough to compare or choose from (also has a tow bar fitted which I need so about another €250 saved :)) We test drove a Volkswagen touran last month here in a dealer and he was telling us that they bought it in from England, when I heard that I thought what the fcuk am I paying you a few grand to bring one back when I can do it myself so I did and saved at least a couple of grand happy days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement