Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Brother might come over with me and get him to feck off somewhere until im ready to pay at a bank if car checks out i suppose.

Im sure he would enjoy the experience :)
    That would be an excellent idea. I have worked that to good effect I a few times.
    And as stated money talks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

FYI re; cash. . You are only allowed to take €10,000k in cash to the uk, thru air or ferry port.

*edited, as I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

MidlandsM wrote: »
    FYI re; cash. . You are only allowed to take £1k in cash to the uk, thru air or ferry port.

Total tripe.

Total tripe.

Bovine innerds?? Because I go through Holyhead and Pembroke I'd say approx 12 times a month, and border police often ask have you anything over 1k in cash on my person/ on board? and cash to them includes notes and coins, bankers’ drafts and cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Care to prove to me about my tripe?
    If you're from outside the EU you can bring 10k so presume there's no limit then for the EU: https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

More here

• Advertisement

border police often ask have you anything over 1k in cash on my person/ on board?

There's a difference between being asked if you have more than £1k on you and being prohibited from having it on you.

If you're from outside the EU you can bring 10k so presume there's no limit then for the EU: https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

More here

I know that,thats old news, I'm only speaking of direct experience from border police on a week in, week out basis. I advise anyone not to travel with large wads of thousands, and if they have to, to have bank slips to prove they withdrew it and its legitimate.

I know that,thats old news, I'm only speaking of direct experience from border police on a week in, week out basis. I advise anyone not to travel with large wads of thousands, and if they have to, to have bank slips to prove they withdrew it and its legitimate.
    Well then you know what you said above is wrong and you shouldn't be scaremongering.

As Kostek said there they can ask all they like but they've no grounds to take it.

I've never been asked once on a flight to the UK by anyone if I have cash on me and i'd be flying there an average of once per month for work etc. over the past 7 years.

Well then you know what you said above is wrong and you shouldn't be scaremongering.

As Kostek said there they can ask all they like but they've no grounds to take it.

I've never been asked once on a flight to the UK if by anyone if I have cash on me and i'd be flying there an average of once per month for work etc. over the past 7 years.

lol ...scaremongering.....:pac:

lol ...scaremongering.....:pac:

You're right, it's not scaremongering, it's more like posting complete drivel.

• Advertisement

FYI re; cash. . You are only allowed to take €10,000k in cash to the uk, thru air or ferry port.

There is no limit on the amount of euro you can bring into the UK from the EU.

But I would assume that the OP will be bringing Sterling:o

Of course there is nothing to stop the border controls from questioning you about amounts of cash but they have to have reasonable grounds to take it for a maximum of 48 hrs.

Wrong again though as that's for outside the EU. It doesn't state any amount for within the EU

lol ...you have to laugh at all the one up manship here..... thanks for the giggle lads......

and @ kotek - try not to get personal, thats not they way it works. I don't post drivel. I made an error, so what? I amended it, and acknowledged it. I still stand by what I say re; carrying wads of cash and my own experience of dealing with border police and customs. Also, taking lot of cash to dealers in the uk (if buying from them) can be useless, as under money laundering legislation, thay'll only accept up to a limit. (5k in one auction house I deal with) - but the cash handling fee's are nasty.

Still, I don't even know why I bother with ye, ye all know everything, and gleefully jump down the throats of any misinformation, ye just love it, Sadly.

lol ...you have to laugh at all the one up manship here..... thanks for the giggle lads......

and @ kotek - try not to get personal, thats not they way it works. I don't post drivel. I made an error, so what? I amended it, and acknowledged it. I still stand by what I say re; carrying wads of cash and my own experience of dealing with border police and customs. Also, taking lot of cash to dealers in the uk (if buying from them) can be useless, as under money laundering legislation, thay'll only accept up to a limit. (5k in one auction house I deal with) - but the cash handling fee's are nasty.

Still, I don't even know why I bother with ye, ye all know everything, and gleefully jump down the throats of any misinformation, ye just love it, Sadly.
    I do not delve into one up manship but on this one point, the OP is intending in buying from a private seller, not from a dealer, not from an auction.
    In that situation cash is King.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Swerving back on topic.

Whats generally regarded as the best company for inspection in the UK and most widespread ?

Are there any ferries going to near the south of the UK from wexford or so ? (somerset area)

Swerving back on topic.

Whats generally regarded as the best company for inspection in the UK and most widespread ?

Are there any ferries going to near the south of the UK from wexford or so ? (somerset area)
    The RAC and THE AA are the most popular. You need to really go for the comprehensive check. It is worth the extra few pounds.
    They are not cheap. The RAC is around £200.
    I would imagine that Pembroke is as far south as you will get. It would be approx 170mls by road then.
    You could fly into Bristol and get a train down from Temple Meads. It is not very far.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    I do not delve into one up manship but on this one point, the OP is intending in buying from a private seller, not from a dealer, not from an auction.
    In that situation cash is King.

who said cash was not king, in any sale, in any country? Like there is Nothing new there? Old news.

And as for an OP in this thread.........this is a very long thread, with many enquiring about buying, there is no one specific OP, and not all want to buy from private sellers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

gutteruu wrote: »
    Cash gives you better buying power too. Prices change very quickly when you pull out wads of cash.

main dealers over there wont take more than 2000 sterling,
    i know from experience,afraid of forgery and are suspicious of an irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

I have some Questions.
    I read the op with great interest, and it was very helpful, but am told things have changed slightly here.
    I have looked up the VRT site but find it a bit confusing too.

Do you still have to bring the car the following day after it arrives in the country to Furry park industrial estate to get it registered ? Or do you have to go to the NCT center?

What documents should I make sure I get from the seller in the UK in order to register the car here?

And say the car has only 5500Km when I buy it. Can I put another 501Km on it AFTER I buy it to ensure that I dont have to pay vat on it, or do revenue go by the mileage that is stated on the invoice from the sale?

you must take it to an NCT centre.
    you need the english log book from the owner or from D.M.V.
    an extrs 500km wont make any great difference in vrt.

• Advertisement

chessman wrote: »
    main dealers over there wont take more than 2000 sterling,
    i know from experience,afraid of forgery and are suspicious of an irish accent.
    rubbish.and sorry for being brash. As for suspicious of an Irish accent :rolleyes:

Jaybor wrote: »
    I have some Questions.
    I read the op with great interest, and it was very helpful, but am told things have changed slightly here.
    I have looked up the VRT site but find it a bit confusing too.

Do you still have to bring the car the following day after it arrives in the country to Furry park industrial estate to get it registered ? Or do you have to go to the NCT center?

What documents should I make sure I get from the seller in the UK in order to register the car here?

And say the car has only 5500Km when I buy it. Can I put another 501Km on it AFTER I buy it to ensure that I dont have to pay vat on it, or do revenue go by the mileage that is stated on the invoice from the sale?
    To answer your questions accurately.
    You do not need to bring your car to any place the following day. You have to advise it arrival in the state within seven days by contacting the NCTS office and arrange to have it processed through the system within thirty days of arrival.
    It is advised that you seek an early appointment as if it cannot be processed on the day due to some problem on your behalf the clock does not stop ticking

You may do that here

https://ncts.ie/booking_app/Bookings/ImportInspectionBooking2.aspx?language=english&mode=i
    You will need to get the english V5 registration book from the seller.

Some sellers will be reluctant to give the V5 as they will not be aware of the need and I it is difficult to track down the legislation on it.
    Always make sure the seller understands this and is agreeable before you buy, otherwise walk away.
    You will need to get an invoice stating clearly the price paid, the date of sale and mileage.
    To answer mileage etc I would need to know the age of the car.
    Do be careful with cars that are less than four years old as you may have to pay VRT on a sliding scale on extras on the car. These are gauged on the Irish spec and not the UK spec.
    They are all outlined elsewhere in the thread. Have a look.

I assume you know the documentation needed at the VRT office as you do not ask. Again they are detailled elsewhere.
    Hope this helps.

To answer your questions accurately.
    You do not need to bring your car to any place the following day. You have to advise it arrival in the state within seven days by contacting the NCTS office and arrange to have it processed through the system within thirty days of arrival.
    It is advised that you seek an early appointment as if it cannot be processed on the day due to some problem on your behalf the clock does not stop ticking

You may do that here

https://ncts.ie/booking_app/Bookings/ImportInspectionBooking2.aspx?language=english&mode=i
    You will need to get the english V5 registration book from the seller.

Some sellers will be reluctant to give the V5 as they will not be aware of the need and I it is difficult to track down the legislation on it.
    Always make sure the seller understands this and is agreeable before you buy, otherwise walk away.
    You will need to get an invoice stating clearly the price paid, the date of sale and mileage.
    To answer mileage etc I would need to know the age of the car.
    Do be careful with cars that are less than four years old as you may have to pay VRT on a sliding scale on extras on the car. These are gauged on the Irish spec and not the UK spec.
    They are all outlined elsewhere in the thread. Have a look.

I assume you know the documentation needed at the VRT office as you do not ask. Again they are detailled elsewhere.
    Hope this helps.

Hi Thanks for your reply.
    The car would be a Jan 2013 car. with only 5200Km on it.
    I dont mind paying the VRT on extras, but its the VAT im trying to avoid. It qualifies for the 6 months old, but not the 6000Km.
    But I was wondering, if I take a little holiday when I buy it and I drive it for 800Km around the UK before getting on the ferry would this count as having 6000km when it is landed in Ireland, but not have been at the time I bought it?

Im assuming the V5 is all I have to get from the dealer.
    And for here I need that, id, utility bill, p60, ferry ticket, receipt for car and forms from the vrt website filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,127 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Take the scenic route home. :D

rubbish.and sorry for being brash. As for suspicious of an Irish accent :rolleyes:

bought a mondeo in watford from a main ford dealer and refused point blank to accept more than 2k in cash and thats gospel truth.

chessman wrote: »
    bought a mondeo in watford from a main ford dealer and refused point blank to accept more than 2k in cash and thats gospel truth.
    You will always get one. I guess the 2k was the amount of profit he had on it.:D

On a serious note they are best avoided. If I am going to someone that I have not dealt with before I leave them in no doubt beforehand of what the arrangements are.
    If they cannot comply I go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There's a difference between being asked if you have more than £1k on you and being prohibited from having it on you.

They brought in much more strict money laundering legislation towards the end of 2012- but their implementation of it has been haphazard.

They brought in much more strict money laundering legislation towards the end of 2012- but their implementation of it has been haphazard.
    Who did that?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Take the scenic route home. :D

Thats what I was planning.
    But Im 100% on whether they take the mileage when I bought the car or the mileage when I bring it into Ireland.
    I cant see them taking the mileage unless its the mileage it was at when it was imported.

I thought of one more question.
    Can I send a friend over to get this car for me and then register it in my name when its here, instead of me having to go over? It would save me going over and he is going over anyway.

• Advertisement

Jaybor wrote: »
    Thats what I was planning.
    But Im 100% on whether they take the mileage when I bought the car or the mileage when I bring it into Ireland.
    I cant see them taking the mileage unless its the mileage it was at when it was imported.

I thought of one more question.
    Can I send a friend over to get this car for me and then register it in my name when its here, instead of me having to go over? It would save me going over and he is going over anyway.
    I am sure you could come to an arrangement with the seller as regards putting extra mileage on the car.
    There is no problem with somebody else bringing the car in.
    In fact you can nominate someone else in writing to process it through the VRT system also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement