Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 gone Gold - August 3rd expected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

1.25GB DDR , GeforceFX5700Ultra, XP1800+... Time for an upgrade :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Here's a new movie for u gamers to salivate on. Looks very sweet.

Some parts of the vid lag a bit. I wonder what graphics card they were using. Hope it will work good on the x800 cos I just ordered one! :) Looking forward to this one and I agree with the last sentence in the clip! hehe

AHHHHHHHHH!
    *splurge*
    oh yeah...thats the stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Must resist movie so as not to ruin surprises

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by amp
    Chill Scruff, Syxpak is merely expressing his disdain for the X-box. Mind you his pc isn't that much better than a X-box so I'd use that as a starting point for your retort. ;)

Personally I think Doom3 could look alright on an X-box given that the graphics code can be optimized to buggery on it, thanks to it's fixed platform.

And remember folks, looks aren't everything. Gameplay rules all.

/me stabs Amp in eye with Fork of Seeing

Scruff, I know there's an XBox version coming out.
    I know full well it wont' run acceptably on my machine. And my machine would kick tiny silicon lumps out of the XBox on toe-to-toe.
    It's annoying to see yet another game that really only belongs on the PC getting shafted over to the XBox where you're going to be limited by the controller (Joypad Vs Keyboard+mouse debate 2004 V3.24), the underpowered machine and the fact you've to play it on a TV which will really improve your squinting ability but won't do much for your gaming experience.
    Plus side is you get to sit on a couch.
    Unless you're doing things right and have a data-projector setup ;)

I would compar the difference between PC and Xbox versions of Doom3 with Kellog's Honey Nut Loops and Honey Nut Cheerios.
    Those who have a clue know which ones are the original, but you're going to have a load of new-comers buying the flashy thing off the shelf and declaring that as the best thing since Cinnemon Grahams without having ever tasted the Real McCoy.

Therefore their opinons matter SFA and their seed should be wiped from the face of the earth with localised nuclear explodey devices.
    Think the ending to Dr. Stranglove only instead of one big cloud, you'd have two beautifully small mushroom clouds lighting up his crotch for a brief instant leaving only barren testes and singed pubic hair.

[/rant]

I'm feeling a bit peckish after all that talk of gaming and genetic purification...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

www.doom3.com - says shipping aug 3rd. Also updated with new content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's be nice if doom3 utilises smp.
    dual xp 2400+ at 3000+ hehe

Good job matt, I'm still reasonably future proof.

Gav

SMP would be quite quite sweet alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I agree with SysPaK and his xbox views, on the other hand Doom 3 should be quite excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

After seeing that movie, I'm "re" excited about DoomIII.
    Some of the stuff there is amazing, better than any of the previous stuff we have seen. The artwork is fantastic it really captures the Doom athmosphere.

Between this and Hl2 it's a great year for games, lets hope Hl2 isn't full of gimmicks which won't add to the game, because Doom III looks absolutely amazing while relying on few gameplay/graphical gimmicks.

The video gives away one or two weapons you may not have seen yet, and maybe one or two suprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    www.doom3.com - says shipping aug 3rd. Also updated with new content.

august 3rd is american date
    august 13th is the european date

according to www.computerandvideogames.com they announced it last week after they got confirmation from activisionUK the story was about a week ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Na giblet anyone that has ever played doom will know the weapons shown in the vid tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by bizmark
    Na giblet anyone that has ever played doom will know the weapons shown in the vid tbh

But not how they look :D

Ya thats true ...they do look cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

just watched the movie....oh my god.....there is no doubt that far cry looks great but DOOM III looks really fanatstic even on grainy avi format. I really hopr that it plays well, ID seem really to have concentrated on the gameplay so fingers crossed. I will by it no matter what anyway. Could the be the greatest game ever. HL2 might be great too but will it ever come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Or £17.95 (€27) from http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Pre_Orders_A_F_328.html

Have mine preordered, only warning i will give is that if they dont ship yours on release day and run out of stock, they can be very slow at getting it back in. Happened with Vice City for me, although they do allow you to cancel once it hasnt shipped.

I just noticed that on mx2.co.uk they now have two versions listed... a special and a standard edition. Have mailed them asking what this is about and which one I will be getting (was only one when I placed order) and more importantly .. when.
    http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Pre_Orders_A_F_328.html
    On the page the standard edition has a 12nov release date (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ive preordered from GAME on henry st. as i dont want any cock ups with this game wrt postage or anything like that. They took my number and said theyd ring the day before its out, but i dont trust them, theyve never rang me before when ive preordered. Anyone else order from GAME?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by LoBo
    I just noticed that on mx2.co.uk they now have two versions listed... a special and a standard edition. Have mailed them asking what this is about and which one I will be getting (was only one when I placed order) and more importantly .. when.
    http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Pre_Orders_A_F_328.html
    On the page the standard edition has a 12nov release date (?)
    Please Email us with any PC Gameyou can't find and we'll get back to you.
    you actually trust these guys with your credit card details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by tman
    you actually trust these guys with your credit card details?

Have used them a few times with no major hiccups. Have very good prices for ink cartridges also. Based in Jersey so avail of the same tax deal as Play.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

fair enough... might try them out with a small order soon...

hate the way they don't differentiate between title and subtitle though... would it kill them to throw in a colon or a couple of hyphens:rolleyes:

back on track - doom3 is looking so goddamned sweet. that video has me chomping at the bit for more:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SyxPak
    (Joypad Vs Keyboard+mouse debate 2004 V3.24)

I have to agree you on that, but I think even you will be surprised by the graphics on the Xbox version.

On the subject of graphics, have you seen the E3 XNA demo running from an Xbox?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

i dont think that was running on xbox, it was more to show what potential they have to use for xbox 2.

The xna demos where run on a high end pc not a lowly xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I hate to post one of these 'do you think it will work on my rig' type questions, but I have to know...

Will it run on a GForce 4 4200 Go (mobile) graphics card? I meet the other specs, just not sure about the graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by SyxPak

I would compar the difference between PC and Xbox versions of Doom3 with Kellog's Honey Nut Loops and Honey Nut Cheerios.
    Those who have a clue know which ones are the original, but you're going to have a load of new-comers buying the flashy thing off the shelf and declaring that as the best thing since Cinnemon Grahams without having ever tasted the Real McCoy.

Dr. Bones McCoy: I'M A DOCTOR NOT A BREAKFAST CEREAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I hate to post one of these 'do you think it will work on my rig' type questions, but I have to know...

Will it run on a GForce 4 4200 Go (mobile) graphics card? I meet the other specs, just not sure about the graphics card.

i'm not sure about the mobile part, but i'm pretty sure it will run on a ti4200, albeit lower details, i guess your card is pretty similar to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

tic toc, damn you linear time!, I wish I could just go to sleep for 2 weeks until its out, sad really :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

GF4 Ti Vs GF4 Ti Go

Thanks to nVidia's wonderful tradition of making it hard as fuck to simply compare products directly and their emphasis on meaningless marketing buzzwords instead of cold hard tch specs, it's hard to note the significant differences between the desktop and mobile parts, but here's a rough idea:

They seem to both have the nFiniteFX II engine, (Dx8.1-level pixel and vertex shaders afaik), but I'd imagine the Go version is castrated in some way, either lower core and/or memory clock, less pipelines or something disabled in them to make them more palatable for mobile use.
    In general clock-speeds and features in a laptop mean nothing.
    A desktop costing half the price would whip a laptop around the place.
    Laptops are not gaming machines.

I'll put it this way: I expect to be able to play D3 on it's filthy-ugly settings on my mahine, at say 30fps, *just* enough to have a bash at 1-3 early single player missions.
    You should be able to expect a little bit better milage then that. With a little tweaking you should be able to play it reasonably comfortably.
    I'd say loading times will kill you though :) laptop hdds aren't exactly the fastest things on earth, unless you want a 'top that weighs too much and can't last longer than 20minutes from a power socket.
    I'm planning an upgrade to a 2Ghz Barton/Gig of ram
    Will probably use my current gfx card for a bit in that too (GF4 Ti4200-8x @ ~4400-4600 clockspeeds).
    I expect to be able to play D3 relatively comfortably on that, say mid-low settings at 1024x768 at around 60fps. I'm not saying I will actually achieve that, but that's what I'm aiming for.

Recap:
    Laptops are merely tools, commodity utility pieces, about as good at play games as a Kango hammer.
    Sufficiently portable power supply, ultra-low power (sub 1V everything) components and efficient/recontributing thermal solutions will eventually give us high-power, truely portable machines. But I don't want to wait 15 years.

[ultimate disclaimer]
    But you never know ;)
    [/ultimate disclaimer]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ok kids here's the actual specs from id:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2690450
    Todd Hollenshead, id's chief executive, said Doom 3 will require:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
    • 384 megabytes of memory.
    • Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
    • An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

• Advertisement

Im sorted

Advertisement