Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 gone Gold - August 3rd expected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Links to buy:
    Play.com
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs1&page=title&r=PC&title=103442
    £27.99 (EUR41.97) delivered
    "Due for release on 13/08/2004", ..probably hasn't been updated yet, likely you'd get it much sooner.

CD WOW!
    http://www8.cdwow.ie/detail_results_3.php?product_code=12564
    EUR37.99 delivered
    "Release/Despatch Date: Monday 9 Aug"

Currently leaning towards play.com, as have previously bought a lot of stuff from them and never from cdwow.. would do it now if they put up a "pre order now and get it on such and such date" notice.

LoBo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Stephen
    its like running it on your PC syxpak.

Thats fairly unlikely tbh it will be like Battlefield vietnam vrs battlefield modren combat id say

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Carmack always future proofs his game engines. He never makes a game that will run perfectly on current technology. I'd curse if it wasn't for the fact that i got confirmation of my grant and now have enough to upgrade my PC for 'educational' purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

a radeon 9700 pro is direct x 9 isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by SyxPak

/me wipes tear of mirth

You're joking right?

That's like a slug asking "Wonder what swimming in this bucket of salt feels like?"

What?? They ARE doing an xbox version so what was wrong with my question?
    its obviously not going to be as graphically impressive as the pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Chill Scruff, Syxpak is merely expressing his disdain for the X-box. Mind you his pc isn't that much better than a X-box so I'd use that as a starting point for your retort. ;)

Personally I think Doom3 could look alright on an X-box given that the graphics code can be optimized to buggery on it, thanks to it's fixed platform.

And remember folks, looks aren't everything. Gameplay rules all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Or £17.95 (€27) from http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Pre_Orders_A_F_328.html

Have mine preordered, only warning i will give is that if they dont ship yours on release day and run out of stock, they can be very slow at getting it back in. Happened with Vice City for me, although they do allow you to cancel once it hasnt shipped.

Originally posted by LoBo
    Links to buy:
    Play.com
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs1&page=title&r=PC&title=103442
    £27.99 (EUR41.97) delivered
    "Due for release on 13/08/2004", ..probably hasn't been updated yet, likely you'd get it much sooner.

CD WOW!
    http://www8.cdwow.ie/detail_results_3.php?product_code=12564
    EUR37.99 delivered
    "Release/Despatch Date: Monday 9 Aug"

Currently leaning towards play.com, as have previously bought a lot of stuff from them and never from cdwow.. would do it now if they put up a "pre order now and get it on such and such date" notice.

LoBo
    [/QUOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Personally speaking, having run the buggy leaked E3-Alpha on an XP1600/768Mb-PC2100/GF2Ti I think it'll be fine on any GF4. That alpha was full of memory leaks and texture problems and I still managed to get 4 or 5 FPS in the really complex bits (on a GF2) with it looking better than any other graphics I've seen on a PC before, let alone a working game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Or £17.95 (€27) from http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Pre_Orders_A_F_328.html

Thanks for link, have now pre-ordered from here :)

I pre-ordered from play.com never heard of mx2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

After reading the review I am all excited and tingly:D, cannot WAIT for this to come out. I suppose I can now begin preparations to be scared ****less for 30 hours or so:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Someone is SURE to break the street date on it..I'm booking the weekend off and sending my girlfriend to her parents..one full weekend of whoop ass DOOMing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thats the weekend of gamecon :D

Gives me something to do between comps (either playin or organising :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I'll be expecting to see it on Suprnova very soon so...:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

DOOM eh! never heard of it?

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Still in two minds on weither to get this or not... looks good, and has the Reznor music (:D), but is it enough?

also I'm poor.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    I'll be expecting to see it on Suprnova very soon so...:dunno:
    aye:rolleyes:

fortunately it's my birthday next week, otherwise my broke ass would be hitting bt

Originally posted by tman
    fortunately it's my birthday next week, otherwise my broke ass would be hitting bt
    The temptation for me is also very high because of the fact Doom will be a single player game mainly and it's multi-player doesn't seem to be that strong....so the need for a proper CD key/uncracked exe will be small:dunno:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Speaking of protection, ID never were ones for anti-piracy measures. Wonder what Doom's will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Deadwing
    GVE US A FREAKIN RELEASE DATE!!!!!! :mad:
    It wouldn't matter. They've lied so much, I wouldn't believe them... :mad:

=====
    Low-End:
    1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
    512MB Ram
    Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
    2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
    1GB RAM
    Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

High_End: Aka Hardware that doesn't exist, but best guess anyway
    3.4GhzP4 or AMD equivalent
    2GB RAM
    GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE.
    My machine falls between 1 and 2. I need new mobo, + new mem...
    Personally I think Doom3 could look alright on an X-box given that the graphics code can be optimized to buggery on it, thanks to it's fixed platform.
    The min specs are faster tan the Xbox.
    Xbox specs;
    733MHz Intel
    64 MB
    /me looks at my first quote
    Yeah, sure, it'll run... with 480*640 res, with shadows, etc turned off... and minus alot of the monsters. Think Wolfenstein3D on "Please don't hurt me", versus Doom2 on Nightmare... A lot less bots, and less bot AI.

=====

Also, as the beta ran fine, I'll just use the inf to run the proper version. As for the demo, who wants a bet it'll be the beta? :D
    I was seeing was graphics superiorty that not even current hot tech showcases like Far Cry could match. Dust blew around the martian surface and the dull brown/red hue of the sand and the twisted metal of shredded structures all semed so perfectly plausible.
    So much for the inf file. I'll need a new rig :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Holy shit, you mean the xbox doesnt even have a 1ghz cpu?? Man how the hell does it pull off games like doa3 (which is lubberly) on a 733mhz cpu and 64mb of ram???

Not a chance in HELL that the xbox will run doom3 even a fraction as well as a pc with a lame ass spec like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Helps when the resolution is 320x240

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Helps when the resolution is 320x240
    Is it not 640*460 on a TV screen - whichever it is it's far lower then a proper comp screen resolution *Offler spits on his X-Box - Doom's not you! :ninja:

640x460?? What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Not a chance in HELL that the xbox will run doom3 even a fraction as well as a pc with a lame ass spec like that

For one its a lower resolution and two console are generally designed differently than pcs meaning they dont need quite the power to give the performance.

Originally posted by CivilServant
    640x460?? What on earth are you talking about?
    Sorry little mistake :D Xbox supports the following output resolutions:

* 480i (640 x 480 interlaced; regular TV and HDTV)
    * 480p (640 x 480 progressive; HDTV)
    * 720p (1280 x 720 progressive; HDTV)
    * 1080i (1920 x 1080 interlaced; HDTV)
    PAL actually shows something like 625 at 25 fps at 50Hz (I think bloody TV standards are muck compared to PC). Either way far lower then any PCer would ever want to run it at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A console doesn't really need anti-aliasing either since the blurry tv screen gies a natural anti-aliasing effect.

True, that's the interlaced effect working there. When you get a progressive image from the xbox via the component cables (not standard) you get a nice bright image with plenty of punchy colours. The downside being you can now see the jaggies.

Most xbox games support 480p, a few support 720p and even even 1080i. Played Soul Caliber 2 with 720p, truely stunning!!! :)

Here's a new movie for u gamers to salivate on. Looks very sweet.

Some parts of the vid lag a bit. I wonder what graphics card they were using. Hope it will work good on the x800 cos I just ordered one! :) Looking forward to this one and I agree with the last sentence in the clip! hehe

• Advertisement

I hope it runs well on my 2600xp 512meg of ram 9800pro system :( well we will find out when play.com sends it

Class vid btw you get to see the bfg:eek:

Advertisement