Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Discussions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Bitchin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by eire_245
    on Q 9....i got the fundamental frequency......but forgot to get de normal one using .......c=flamda.......but subbed in de fundamental frequency for KE=hf-phi.........and then this gave me my answer .......how many marks would i have lost for this????

It's hard to tell in physics really. As a rule of thumb they give marks in lots of 3; so, if the question is 9 marks, you need 3 statements of fact, or if its a mathematical question, there's usually a few different stages and you get marks for getting to each stage. Definition type questions are alot easier to predict the marking scheme for than mathematical questions - one statement of fact for 3 marks. For maths questions, it's just too unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

yeah hearin wat ur sayin but will they give me the marks for the KE part cause i did it right but wit a wrong value cause my method was right nd only knock off marks for the specific wrong bit like in maths

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Precarious, got all the same answers as you except Q10, didn't do it.

Anyone do Q8? All I can remember was 3.24V.

Great paper. My 3 glorious days of wasting around before yesterday paid off, I think I might have robbed an A1. What a relief, couldn't have gone better. Did an extra Q in A and in B. Experiments were really easy. Really straightforward calculation Q's like 6,7,9, really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Q8 I did it at the end just cause, you know..

(i) 3.76V, 2.24V
    (ii) 1.12E-4C
    (iii) 5.6197E-4J

Probably wrong because I don't particularly enjoy electricity

Yeah 3.76 not 3.24. Can't remember the other 2. Electricity is crap, hope I'm not doing much of it next year. It's not real physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well im enough of an adult to admit when im wrong....and i was wrong in my predictions.

It seems most of you (and most people in my class) were satisfied wit htat paper.

I wasnt, i think i failed.
    Anyone thats in the same boat as me should post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Yeah that paper was sort of bent, you're not the only one. I haven't talked to anyone from my class as I left 20 minutes early.

Section A was fine I think, probably got loads wrong though. Section B was an utter-bollox. Q9 and Q10 were the only ones I actually might have done decent in, Q5. 6, 11, 12 were all horrendous.

Despite that I'm now finished, FOREVEAAR. GOOD BYE LEAVING CERT FORUM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ah right, i seemed to miss your third post there :p
    Said the live wire was red
    It can be red OR brown i thought, depending. But i tihnk brown is more correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

great paper. ****ed up the particle physics question tho. i also stupidly forgot to get a value for "g" from my graph, although i got the graph perfectly right, fully labeled and all that.

couldnt belive there was only one graph question on the whole paper!!

oeNeo/senordingdong - I don't think anybody can really say that the physics paper was unfair. It was a very fair paper, with a good balance of mathematical and "definition" type questionsm probably more so than most years. It stuck to the same template as previous years, and even repeated a few parts of questions. I definetly dont think you can blame the paper for making you fail.

Originally posted by subway_ie
    I definetly dont think you can blame the paper for making you fail.

Im not blaming the paper. Im just not that good at physics, full stop. I was hoping that i could write enough thrash to scrape a pass but after seeing soloutions and what not, i doubht it.
    But just to clarify, i dont blame the paper, my teacher or even the constolations.

Who's blaming the paper? I thought the paper was bent, me personally. Sure a lot of people probably thought it was fine but just like senordingdong said I'm not the best at physics. I could more than likely get an A1 if I tried hard enough but I didn't put in the effort. Because of that for ME, the paper was bent.

Originally posted by oeNeo
    Who's blaming the paper?

Ah, ok, I read "bent" as meaning "bad/not right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

My teacher is to blame for my errors. I study physics at home, and when it suits him i get a class, like once a month.

He did the spectrometer experiment with me like 2 weeks ago:

i got the wavlength part wrong, and after he goes "Yea you got that part wrong"
    ****in queer.

Originally posted by SeanPuddin
    i got the wavlength part wrong, and after he goes "Yea you got that part wrong" ****in queer.

Hahaha, what a legend teacher.

Originally posted by oeNeo
    Hahaha, what a legend teacher.

I think you mis-read that, i think sean was calling his teacher a ****ing queer, not vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ye I had a crap teacher! Had to teach myself the whole course since easter.

He was out today in all his colours though seeing how everyone did and I thought I would just want to get away from him but he is human and it aint his fault he cant teach (he knows physics inside out hes a genious at it but cant teach)

So when I knew (more or less) that I passed I just let it slide cause all the work was done and I got what I wanted so I talked to him for a while very graciously (is that the word?! )

Ye my dad says that he has heard a LOT of complaints on the radio about the paper! I was like WTF but apperantly there was TOO much maths on it but I dunno I stopped listening to the radio the day before the english exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Yeah thats a pretty pathetic mass you have there, look at my huge throbbing 2x10^30kg

Can you confirm any of my answers?

Off the top of my head, I know that you have the right answer. I knew it in the exam, but I couldn't work it out - I got 4 by 10^30 or something. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Damn you all. I took v^2 = u^2 + 2gs and went from there. Probably royally screwed it up so.

Crap.. yea. Well he sounded like a cool teacher anyway.

Also my apologies to anyone that followed my predictions.

Originally posted by Cathy
    Off the top of my head, I know that you have the right answer. I knew it in the exam, but I couldn't work it out - I got 4 by 10^30 or something. :confused:
    2E30 is definetly right... at least yours was roughly the same (give or take 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). I'm not even going to begin to think how far off I was with my 6.7164x10^25...

Originally posted by senordingdong
    Also my apologies to anyone that followed my predictions.

Well, you did get the Measurement of the wavelength of monochromatic light and the electricity thing right. The first one anybody could have guessed, but I think the second one was fairly unique to you. I wouldn't have even bothered looking over it if I hadn't seen it on here. Then again, it didn't do me much good since that was probably my worst question.

2E30 is definetly right... at least yours was roughly the same (give or take 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). I'm not even going to begin to think how far off I was with my 6.7164x10^25...

I'm further off than you were! 2 x 10^30 vs. 4.7164 x 10^25... oh well. I don't care any more. And I'm going to go and do some Chemistry...

I'm further off than you were! 2 x 10^30 vs. 4.7164 x 10^25... oh well. I don't care any more. And I'm going to go and do some Chemistry...

Well then, even more reason to feel better about yourself. You can read scientific notation, I can't.

For the record, I was 1,999,932,836,000,000,000,000,000,000,000... I think so anyway. I'm most likely wrong about being wrong.

Well then, even more reason to feel better about yourself. You can read scientific notation, I can't.

:p Right. Seriously. Study. Well, maybe I'll just make a cup of tea first... then I'll study. Really, I will.

Not. :dunno:

For the record, I was 1,999,932,836,000,000,000,000,000,000,000... I think so anyway. I'm most likely wrong about being wrong.

You're wrong about being wrong. Oh well. Better than being wrong about being right!

• Advertisement

You're wrong about being wrong. Oh well. Better than being wrong about being right!

Arghhhh. I blame my calculator. It says that 2E30 - 6.7164E25 = 1.999932836E30. I've got so much to show for my 2 years of honours maths, applied maths and physics :rolleyes: .

Advertisement