Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Discussions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I like to read motion mountain, its great if you're interested in physics and its free. www.motionmountain.com 24mb pdf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 livingupatree

Does anyone know where I could find a definitive list of all the definitions on the physics course? My current list stands at around 150, not sure if that's a little excessive?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

i presume u don't have rapid revision physics.
    it's pretty good.

maybe try skoool.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

K im looking to pass this subject and no more.

I just need a run through of what I REALLY need to make sure I know.
    Im goin over it all over the next 4 days but I need a guiding hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Im finding it totally impossible to study for phsyics or applied. Totally wasted all of the day today. Need to get some serious revision done - I've forgotten everything already. Haven't done physics in about 3 weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Im finding it totally impossible to study for phsyics or applied. Totally wasted all of the day today.

I'm having the same problem... Physics is my last exam, and it feels like I've hit the holidays already. The thought of getting back to the books is not pleasant...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The only thing I've done since the 8th of June is learn some proofs for Maths 2. Wasted today aswell. And I'm having the same pep-talk with myself that I did last night. And I know it's not working. I stopped caring after English, with all the hype gone, and nothing left but a choice between a desk and a couch in front of the TV. "Pff, what's ONE more night's study gonna do anyway?":rolleyes:

Ye same here, but iv had that feeling...oh since semptember!

Really gotta do some work tomory tho so if you guys see me on here b4 about6 tell me to FuK off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah seriously though.....Physics pointers are much needed. Soon.

Originally posted by senordingdong
    Yeah seriously though.....Physics pointers are much needed. Soon.

Well, you can probably leave out last years pracitcals, in section A at least. You know that the option is a definite question. And that's about it really. There's nothing else to "predict". Know your practicals really, really well. Be able to use formulae, have all the definitions off. Understand concepts (Doppler effect, photoelectric effect, etc). Circular/Simple Harmonic motion seems like a big possibility this year - planetary motion, Keplers laws, geostationary orbits, all that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Originally posted by Chris_533976
    The hell with the Leaving Cert, check out some of my third year college honours physics papers from this year :D
    The Leaving Cert is nothing.

Yeah, try showing leaving cert physics exam papers to a 2nd year and see how they deal with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

yea man go suck your dick

No work done today again! damb why cant I just do any work!

Gotta get all the experiments down by mon and get some formula learnt, like I said I JUST NEED TO PASS! god dambbit if they dont pass me ill rip out thier nut sacks, then I gotta cram for chemistry! :D am I an idiot!

I can deal with the worded questions in physics, its the equations that I blow at :' (

Originally posted by SeanPuddin
    yea man go suck your dick

If we really wanted to be bitchy, we could comment on how he's had to resort to UCC ... But we don't, so we won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

UCC is a great college----;) generally most irish colleges seem alright--the ones i have visited---lets not be parochial now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

A quick question

You know for Cockrofts experiment where they shoot protons down the tube and into the lithium target? On 2002 it asks you tooutline this experiment. I just wanted to know, is it okay if you draw and label a diagram or do you have to write down the steps they went through as well?

Originally posted by oeNeo
    On 2002 it asks you tooutline this experiment. I just wanted to know, is it okay if you draw and label a diagram or do you have to write down the steps they went through as well?

Outline = draw diagram, label it, and give an outline of the steps taken - bullet points, say how they did it (high voltages, plates, scope, etc) and what the result was.

Hairy muff. Cheers big ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i heard that its a certainty that particle physics/applied electricity will come up on the paper. some department official told my teacher that the options would be on the first 3 years of the exam.

just a notion anyway :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nesthead
    i heard that its a certainty that particle physics/applied electricity will come up on the paper. some department official told my teacher that the options would be on the first 3 years of the exam.

just a notion anyway :p

It's on the syllabus that partical physics and applied electricity are guaranteed for the first three years of the exam... luckily we're the third year, so next year it won't be a guaranteed question. So not really much of a secret at all... as long as you bothered to read the syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

was lookin at yer man's university papers actually. I take the statement of him suckin his dick back, it don't look so bad. He's still a poser tho...

How likely is it that the electron will get a question? Or will it just be a part in q12?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was told by a very reliablew source not ot bother studying section A from the past two years as its too early for the dept. to start repeating the material.

Who else was told to do this or somehting similar? (NOTE: I dont want to hear your spiel on why your right and im wrong for doing this, just answer the question asked.)

You can't say how likely it would be to get a full electron question (well, you probably can, but it would take evil probability). All you need to know is that it will probably come up, either as a full question, or part of question 12, or at the very least as part of question 5. It could be a possibility for question 11 too - although I think that'll be mechanics one this year. (Think/hope).
    Who else was told to do this or somehting similar?

We were told that we could probably leave out last years section A, but it'd be too much of a risk to leave out section A of the sample paper or 2002. Even though any of the section A questions that have come up so far could come up in section B...

This sucks, I'm screwed. Where's informedboy when you need him?

Thankfully hes not here

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    Thankfully hes not here

Well, you're usually pretty safe in studying everything that he *doesn't* mention... helps cut it down a bit.

LOL ye!

On an unregarded topic, the examiners wont fail me right! I mean im sure ill get over 40% and every paper that I do from the exam book I usually get a bit over or under 50 and I mark myself down but if a hard paper comes up and I really try everythin they wont fail me.....RIGHT!!

Gotta do a whole lotta work tomory! Just get those experiments down so I at least do a good first section then the rest I should be ok in :D

But I hate all the formulas! OMG its so close to being all over! I only got chemistry left! Its so weird! but I cant wait, im almost wetting myself! :confused:

But they wont fail me...they cant

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    Gotta do a whole lotta work tomory! Just get those experiments down so I at least do a good first section then the rest I should be ok in :D
    I've noticed an interesting pattern in my study habits over the past year - it's always "tomorrow" or "in half an hour". Just like when I finished business on wednesday, I was planning to study physics that evening. but then I said "tomorrow". And yesterday I said "tomorrow". And today I said "tomorrow". And tomorrow I'll probably say "tomorrow morning". 'Tis a vicious circle.
    But I hate all the formulas! OMG its so close to being all over! I only got chemistry left! Its so weird! but I cant wait, im almost wetting myself! :confused:

But they wont fail me...they cant

Well, actually, they kinda can. But like you said, as long as you know your experiments, a few of the more common definitions and formulae and concepts. I'm thinking doppler will be a big one this year.

Advertisement