Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Discussions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Didnt doppler come up last year or the year before definitly! but I would love that! Doppler is so easy! :D

My god I cant study at all! Did about an hour today then went out and refused to return to my house! Iv had 5 days off now before physics and have done NOTHING but the hour today, NOTHING!! Truly a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah i know what you mean. Guilt/disapointment just isnt enough to describe the feeling anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Oh the plans of intense revision I had for these 4 days. I feel like what the Allies would have felt like if they'd just not bothered with D-Day.

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    Oh the plans of intense revision I had for these 4 days. I feel like what the Allies would have felt like if they'd just not bothered with D-Day.

And after the exam well feel like they did after they sat back doing nothing while Hitler marched into Czechslovakia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Discharger Snake

That describes my situation perfectly. But the worst part is, not only do you not get any study done, but when you're not doing the study there's just this huge guilt thing hanging over you, all the time. Not enough to make me study, but it's still not very nice.

• Advertisement

Right so they wont fail me, thanks I feel much better ;)

Man ok Im getting up at 8am tommorrow and just learning! Learning and eating. Gotta get so much crap in! its just plain gonna be no fun!

Who would have thought, not having fun while studying, thats crazy

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    Man ok Im getting up at 8am tommorrow and just learning! Learning and eating. Gotta get so much crap in! its just plain gonna be no fun!

I did that this morning. Alarm off at 7:45, up at 8 and showered and dressed by 8:45. Still, didn't even open a book until about 14:00, and even then it was only for an hour. I've got a bad feeling that tomorrow will go the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I honestly don't see the problem with physics, I think its one of the nicer exams out there. So few of us do it that they don't bother trying to trick us out, its generally a very straight forward paper.

I seem to be able to recall every definition, formula and proportionality in an instant, I guess I'm just lucky. I've studied physics so much that I don't need to do anything.

I've studied physics so much that I don't need to do anything.

^^^^ Maybe thats why you can recall everything so easily!!

I am just worried about this test the most, It could end me if its really bad! Im sure ill be ok but the worry is just so heavy on my shoulders, once I get out of that test ill know whether or not im going to college.

Yep I think we all get the guilt thing, its terrible, thats why I dont go home once I go out cause otherwise ill just be looking at tv with the books well tucked away upstairs!

[EDIT] oh and triple post at the same time up above ;)

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    I honestly don't see the problem with physics, I think its one of the nicer exams out there. So few of us do it that they don't bother trying to trick us out, its generally a very straight forward paper.

Wtf? They dont trick you out but theyre very ****ing picky about little mistakes. Every physics exam iv done has been taken down about two grades from points being deducted for small mistakes.
    I seem to be able to recall every definition, formula and proportionality in an instant, I guess I'm just lucky. I've studied physics so much that I don't need to do anything.

Well your a jerk.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by senordingdong
    your a jerk.

Smooth.

MR. DINGDONG, how many physics tests have you done?

My teacher gave us regular tests throuhgout the two years.

I don't have trouble with the physics... I understand it all, know the conceopts, can do all the problems and stuff, but it's the detail/ The phsyics marking scheme centres around details - not like in maths where you can just make a half assed attempt at a question and get a lot of the marks. In physics you have to have everything word perfect; clear, logical, precise. That's what I'm not good at. Learning stuff straight off like that. At least in applied you learn the very very basic stuff and then all the rest is just using your own ingenuity (sp?) and creativity. I suppose if I concentrate on the definitions/formulae tomorrow and then skim through the experiments on monday morning then it shouldnt be *that* bad.

Senordingdong is right about the details - that's where you'll lose most of the marks. Even if you have the majority of the answer correct, the small mistakes will screw you over. Alot more so than any other subject.

Well I admit they do penalise a fair bit for leaving out units

Well I admit they do penalise a fair bit for leaving out units

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just units. But there's just so much detail involved in physics, not like business or those kind of subjects where you can just make it up as you go along, use common sense.

Yeah business was well cool. I was pulling top quality points straight from the rectal regions. No hope of that in physics. I'm good enough at remembering formulas (formulae for all the frenchmen here). It's the demos that **** me over every time i.e. not the mandatory ones, the ones that come up in section B. That's because I've never studied them. I figure if I just try and understand each one tomorrow, I'll be able to think about it and make it up as I go along type thing, rather than learning each step, which went out the window as an option long ago.

Right. So today's the day. I'm definetly going to get all the study done today. Definetly. I'll start a few hours though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I/m hoping to scrape a B, for the following reason.

At christmas, i knew absolutely everything on the test, i walked out saying to myself "A1, A2 at worst". Guess what i got, 54%, he decided to round it to 55% just to give me honours.

I knew absolutely everything on the test, i lost tonnes of marks because i didn't do my graphs the way he wanted me to, i didn't use the graph to answer questions the way he wanted to. Thats how picky physics can be, and thats why its a bitch of an exam.

I can remember the answers to at last 75% of the questions that come up, and make a very good guess at the rest, but i seriously doubt i will get more than a B3 if the christmas test is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I can remember the answers to at last 75% of the questions that come up, and make a very good guess at the rest, but i seriously doubt i will get more than a B3 if the christmas test is anything to go by.

Exactly the same as me. The graph questions always feck me up, the little details like using the graph to get your answer as opposed to using the data you use to make the graph... you get the same answer but zero marks. But it's not just that, the whole course is extremely picky. They say they want to encourage more people to do physics, and they keep cutting the course down. What they need to do is have more of a maths-like marking scheme, where you at least get attempt marks for the question and they don't mind if you're a bit "inventive" in your solutions.

• Advertisement

i do use my graph to answer the questions. But what i do is i draw a line straight up til it hits the graph curve, then straight across til it hits the Y-Axis, and i then read off my x and y values. i then sub those into the formula, but my teacher wants to do it some crazy way by using slopes, even though it makes not ONE bit of difference whatsoever, as 0,0 is (pracitcally) always a point...

Yeah what you do is get 2 points on the curve, far away from each other, and find the slope. Then you'll have to rearrange an equation with the data in it so that it has x/y in it, and sub the slope in for that. And make sure you use the whole feckin page for the graph, even if youir scale is stupid. If you even leave an inch they'd probably try and shkank you out of 3 marks.

but wtf do i need to use the slope. If i do it my way, i get the points x1, y1. If i get the slope, i get (y1-0)(x1-0)=y1/x1 which is exactly the same thing!

Does it say in the sylabus that i have to use slopes?

I'm pretty sure it's in the marking scheme. The point is it reduces the chance of inaccuracy. I'm getting the marking scheme from last year now, see what it says.

2002, question 4, section A - Calculate resistance: two points on graph = 3 marks, method for slope = 3 marks, substitution of slope into formula = 3 marks. So it looks like you have to do it using the slope... but you'd be better off using two points, neither of which are the origin.

There you go.

ah well, looks like its time to change my ways. But there is no point in not taking 0,0 as in most cases, 0,0 IS on the graph, so you'd be stupid to not take it, besides, it makes calcualtion easier.

Well at this stage, you're better off just giving them what they want. Then, after the exam, you can rebel against their abuse of your basic right to use the origin as a point.

Im so worried, yet im still not studying, go figure!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    Im so worried, yet im still not studying, go figure!

I've just "revised" light and optics. By "revised" I mean going through the revision book and highlighting the important stuff. Which is basically everything. So now I've got pages and pages of orange highlighter, and I still don't know it perfectly. Moving onto electrostatics after a short break, then electromagnetism, then the option. Then mechanics, with emphasis on circular/simple harmonic motion. Then for about 3 hours tonight I'll concentrate on practicals/demonstrations. Tomorrow morning will be looking over my insnely orange revision book and then the half hour before the exam, just skimming through my practicals.

Great plan, but destined to failure.

Advertisement