Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Discussions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

starting revision...............now!

EDIT:.... now!

EDIT2: this isn;t working :(

EDIT3: PHYSICS PAPERS HERE I COME!!!

EDIT4: signing off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I keep *meaning* to start revision, but then the lazy part of me smacks the revision part and knocks it out.

There's so much experiments I have to learn off (we didn't do much), but the book's just so far away right now...

two words...
    ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    two words...
    ****ed.

I concur. Totally, 100% non-negotiable. Screwed, fecked, ****ed. Who'd have thought that revising a two year course in one day would be so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Section A:
    Mechanincs-Investigation of the relationship between the period and length for a simple pendulum and hence finmd the calculation of g.

Heat-Measurement of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.

Sound-Measurement of the speed of sound in air.

Light-Measurement of the wavelength of monochromatic light.

Electricity-To investigate the variation of current (I) with p.d. (V) for a semiconductor diode.

Sectioon B:
    Apparently the electricity circuit in the house is tipped for question 11.
    Also Doppler effect is expected to be a big one.

Your thoughts......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Section A

Fundamental Frequency of a String: Either with meu or tension fixed

SHC of Water: Electrical or Mechanical Method

Speed of Sound in Air

Wavelength of monochromatic light.

Section B

Doppler Effect yea defo

U-Values maybe, strange of it to be in the mocks???

Electromagnetic Induction

Sounds like the perfect paper. Perhaps a bit *too* perfect. I'd go along with what you've said (only because it's what I *want* to come up), apart from the fact that there are only 4 questions in section A, not 5. So if we could get rid of the light practical, then it's adream paper. Some nice option questions, a modern physics question on something like x-rays (it's been done before, but it was soooo good) or maybe CRTs. If question 11 is on doppler then that's just perfect. They'll probably concentrate on radar guns/red/violet shift *if* it comes up. The house circuit would porobably be the benefits of RCBs, MCBs, although it get's a little tricky describing how the live/neutral wires are connected for the different rings....

Originally posted by SeanPuddin
    Section A
    U-Values maybe, strange of it to be in the mocks???

It was only in one mock paper... in our one the question 11 was on the Doppler effect, but no mention of U-Values anywhere on the paper. Worth a look over, just in case. Wavelenght of monochromatic light, along with the simple pendulum and fundamental frequency of a stretched string and V against I all came up in the 2002 department sample paper... as well as u-values and planetary motion - all of which are tipped to come up. So I'm going to have a good look over that sample paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Well they've almost exhausted temperature and heat experiments so i think they will turn to the sonometer ones, like the stretched string. They're alrite tho.

Originally posted by SeanPuddin
    Well they've almost exhausted temperature and heat experiments so i think they will turn to the sonometer ones, like the stretched string. They're alrite tho.
    Temperature has come up twice, sonometer once, and electricity once. I think there will more than likely be at least one electricity experiment (they wouldn't give us more than one, would they????).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

doppler and big section don't go well together

well, just finished reading my ENTIRE physics book. i then plan to go in a bit early tomorrow and cram in as many predictions as i can. I think i'm fairly set now. I still have 2-3 hours left to re-read the book.

:D

well, just finished reading my ENTIRE physics book.

You read all of Real World Physics? And you're still conscious??? 'Tis quite a feat. I'm sticking to my Dan O'Regan revision book... clear, concise and less mistakes.

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    doppler and big section don't go well together

Why not? They can't ask anything *that* hard about Doppler.

read the whole book, and i'm planning on reading some of the more important definations/sections/experiments again tonight, and again tomorrow morning.

Obviously i didn't read every single word though :p i read the important parts like definations/experiments, and stuff i didn't know. Stuff i definately knew (like linear motion) i skipped completely.

EDIT: i wrote night instead of morning :p

read the whole book, and i'm planning on reading some of the more important definations/sections/experiments again tonight, and again tomorrow night.

*Wonders if I should tell you that the physics exam is actually tomorrow morning...*

Right now, I just need to concentrate on practicals. And definitions. And formulas. And descriptions/explanations. And, well, everything else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've gotten grinds off an examiner for Physics (I'm still no physics genuis mind you) but he's given me a better idea of what they want. Apparently some of the explanations of things you see in Real World Physics aren't exactly what they want from you. For example the lightning conductor explanation is fairly small compared to the one this guy gave me.

For some of those "use your graph to estimate" questions you need to manipulate the formula a fair bit to derive a new equation involving the slope, none of which are in the book.. I've seen these mainly in the "stretched string" sound practicals.

Particle Physics 100% definate then? That's good. Hopefuly they wont come out with dodgy calculation questions.

yeah, found the whole slpoe thing out a few months ago, didn't belive it, but have subsequently been convinced you have to do that.

Give us some hints as to whats coming up swifty, if you have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

He never gave any predictions, doubt he has anything to do with setting the paper, he just corrects them. Sorry! :)

What defintions has everybody else got for EMF and Ampere? I've seen a few of each of them, the EMF in the book "volatage when applied to a circuit" seems a bit simplistic compared to the others. And the ampere one (the one about the two conductors of infinite lenght placed 1 metre apart in a vacuum) seems a bit too detailed... Are those what everybody else is using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Emf = electro-motive force = the force which occurs when electrons move through a body.

Dunno bout the ampere, it's some long crap one. I'm not doing the big electricity qs so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by penguincakes
    Emf = electro-motive force = the force which occurs when electrons move through a body.

Dunno bout the ampere, it's some long crap one. I'm not doing the big electricity qs so...

The Ampere is that constant current which, if flowing in two infinitely long conductors of negligible cross-section, placed one meter apart in a vacuum produces a force of 2 x 10 ^(-7) N per meter of length between the conductors.

Well, ya did ask!...:D

I'm so fecked. This is the only exam that I feel totally unprepared for. At least going into the others I was under the illusion that I was prepared, but this one I know I'm not ready for it. 12 hours 15 minutes to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I bet you get a B or C subway, me on the other hand, im actually screwed! Looking for a D and then ill be as happy as a pig in things that make him happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Im looking at

wavelength
    Pendulum
    String
    ..something

For section A

And section B I havent got a clue, just whatever comes up ill give it a bash!

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    I bet you get a B or C subway, me on the other hand, im actually screwed! Looking for a D and then ill be as happy as a pig in things that make him happy

****?

I hope that comes up as one question... "What makes pigs happy".

Answer: The things that make pigs happy, are the things that a pig likes that make him happy."

Have a look at some mechanics people. That's my final advice before bed.

"What is physics?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

The Chief said the article question could be on Microwaves and Telecommunication, and the Cheif ain't wrong :P

And Mechanics is INCREDIBLY easy if you do applied maths :D

Now... time to start studying... over 11 hours of time :P

• Advertisement

That would be incredibly nice. I'm not believing it though.

Advertisement