Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy St Georges Day!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Another thing that still bothers my was that Oliver Cromwell was voted as one of the Greatest Brits in the last year. Now there's a fine upstanding man for the youth of England to look up to :rolleyes:

Yes but so was Princess Diana. Ask the average cretin and what do you expect? :rolleyes:

As far as I remember Churchill won which was fair enough. I know Brunel was in the shortlist but I can't remember whether other truly great Brits such as Michael Faraday or Charles Darwin were there (Darwin would have got my vote).

But it is interesting that outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminister are statues of King Richard I and Oliver Cromwell, both of whom, if they carried out the same activities today that they did in the 12th and 17th centuries respectively, would find themselves in the Hague beside Milosevic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

To be honest I was a little angry with England being reffered to as "the mainland", I would consider Europe a mainland not england. I believe English ppl who use that phrase to Irish people are just looking for trouble.

Also I really don't care if its your patron saints day. I don't expect non-Irish ppl to celebrate St. Patricks day & I certainly won't celebrate another countries patron saints day, it would be like celebrating the 4th of july.

In short I believe this whole thread was started to patronise us & to start up a few rants and arguments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

It was started by an Irishman....

It is just that so many english haters got so wound up by it.

If you have an inferiority complex deal with it.

Advertisement