Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy St Georges Day!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by James Melody
    I went to see the England v France rugby game recently. When France won the pub started playing that "ooh ah up the Ra" song from the Wolfe Tones. What the hell is that about. My friends were shocked at it and left with me. However the main body of the pub loved it and sang away at a song about the IRA.

And yet these narrow minded imbeciles blame England for this hatred. Well what reason do you have for the hatred towards Blacks, Asians, East Europeans etc??

This low-life mentality portrayed by some people here is unfortunatly endemic in Ireland.
    It's a sad situation, but you're always going to get this type of mob mentality at sporting events like this. Personally, I just don't get it, it's only a bloody game, but there you go, the mob takes over (at least it's not as bad as the Celtic/Rangers type of carry on).

I think the vast majority of Irish people have absolutely no problem with their neighbours. They watch English TV, follow English football teams, eat English crisps with never a thought (I stll prefer Tayto to Walkers, but strictly because of the flavour ;)). But, you are always going to get inappropriate behaviour/opinions from some individuals in society, especially between two close neighbours with a history such as ours. Whether they are English (streotyping Irish laziness, drinking, "paddywhackery", not understanding the Irish sensitivities around Independance etc...) or Irish (blind faith in the 800 years of blah, disliking the English simply because they are English etc...). But I think these are a minority. Day-to-day, nobody gives a crap where you're from, but you'll always get some silly remark that just raises hackles (on either "side").

History is just that. History. It's what defines the way we are today, even if we are not a special case. The Normans invaded England in 1066, then they (Anglo-Normans) arrived here in 1169. Should we blame the French now? :) How far do people have go back? It's pointless!

James, I'm very sorry you feel that there is an endemic hatred in Irish society, but please don't let rugby/football mob mentalities colour your view of the Irish as a whole. Don't let 'em grind ya down! I'm sure you know we aren't all that bad generally :).

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Oh, and happy
    <SELECT>
    Adalbert, bishop (of Prague)
    Alexander and companions,
    Bova and Doda, virgins
    Dismas (the Good Thief)
    Egbert, priest
    Eutropis, martyr
    Fidelis (of Sigmarengen)
    George, martyr
    Ludger, bishop (of Münster), confessor
    Mellitus, bishop (of Canterbury), confessor
    Norbert, bishop (of Magdeburg), confessor
    Robert, abbot (of Chaise-Dieu, Auvergne), confessor
    Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego
    Victoria, virgin
    Wendelin, confessor
    Wilfrid, bishop (of York), confessor
    </SELECT>
    Day everyone! :)

Find our more about saints days here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jarmstrong

Yup, it is shameful how many of these angry retards we have.

Its really time for this country to grow the fcuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Earth Calling mike65 .. come in mike65....

:D

Wha? I'm above all this (as of now!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I think most of us are above this petty form of argument. Whatever happened to racial tolerance and cultural diversity? For the record, I was born in England, but raised in Ireland, so I consider myself more Irish than English now, being here 17 years. I personally see nothing wrong with celbarating another countries' national holiday to be honest. We celebrate the Chinese New Year after all, and a lot of countries celebrate St. Paddy's day, even when they don't have to.

Anyway, not everyone on Boards is from Ireland, or is indeed Irish. This kind of diversity is good, and doesn't deserve to be slammed. 800 years is a very long time and as a few people have said already, live and let live. Think of it this way: We're European and the English are European, which makes us the same race, so to speak. This kind of behavior defeats the whole purpose of the EU, of tolerence of other cultures. We're all meant to be beyond this petty stuff.

But judging by some of the responses to this thread that I've read, some of us have a fairly long way to go...

Okay I'm not above this thread...the best way for the anti assholes on this thread to think about the English is to rephase a certain Python sketch as "What have the English/British ever done for us?" The answer is pretty much as in Life of Brian...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Rule Britannia.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    Somebody lock the tread. I don't think this is the place for this type of discussion. Lets keep it for the pub at 2am when everyone's pissed.
    Yeehaw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by jarmstrong
    Yup, it is shameful how many of these angry retards we have.

Its really time for this country to grow the fcuk up.

Couldn't have put it better. As a nation we have so many collective chips on our shoulders, it's surprising that McDonalds haven't try to buy us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The majority of the people in this country remind me of warhammer dwarves. Little twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

No ENglish evar killed me!!!!111

A belated Happy St. Georges day Merc, and anyone else who's "ok" with accepting that greeting.

The man killed a dragon! Maximum respect!!!:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes, belated Merry St. Georges day everyone. Hugs and kisses to all!

Everytime a bell rings a dragon loses it wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    It's a sad situation, but you're always going to get this type of mob mentality at sporting events like this. Personally, I just don't get it, it's only a bloody game, but there you go, the mob takes over (at least it's not as bad as the Celtic/Rangers type of carry on).

I am sorry to say that I haven't seen this sort of mentality solely at sporting events. I am living in Ireland now since 1988. On my first day in School over here, the Vice-Principal came into the class and started a chant of Brits Out!

I don't feel that everyone in this country shares this view - unfortunatly far too many do as evidenced by some of the posts here.

I'm easy going. Shame some of the anti-english-celtic supporting-sinn fein voting-wolfe tone singing crowd aren't the same.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

the Vice-Principal came into the class and started a chant of Brits Out!

Which reminds me, when I was in school we once had a rather buxom female teacher who was frequently met with a chant not too far from that.

I am sorry to say that I haven't seen this sort of mentality solely at sporting events. I am living in Ireland now since 1988. On my first day in School over here, the Vice-Principal came into the class and started a chant of Brits Out!

I bet it was run by priests, you should sue em for retrospective trauma.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I haven't seen this level of hatred anywhere else in the world.

Greece v turkey, israel v palestine, america v everyone, north v south korea etc etc

Iif we want to stear clear of "ancient" history how about the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and the litany of murders by british forces on Irish in the North.

Theres a reason why the Irish dislike the English but for those who refuse an education in history and politics then I suppose everything is fine and dandy between us!

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Oh an last I looked Sweeden didn't occupy and slaughter the norwegians for 800 years...

...those who refuse an education in history and politics...

Not 800 years but...

http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:G9Nnc2VaX_wJ:www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/norge-history.htm+sweden++norway+history&hl=en

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Iif we want to stear clear of "ancient" history how about the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and the litany of murders by british forces on Irish in the North.

Theres a reason why the Irish dislike the English but for those who refuse an education in history and politics then I suppose everything is fine and dandy between us!

http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/buildings/bombing.html

Is that reason for the English to hate the Irish? I mean for **** sake...

I was recently talking to an American who was doing an assignment on the troubles and I told her that hatred en masse for the English exists almost solely in our desire for them to lose at football. That amongst the general population the levels of hatred that used to exist had more or less dissipated. I hope I was right and you lot are the minority.

Have you been to England? Have you met English people? You probably have... Did you hate the people you met? Did you hold a grudge? How would you take it if they held a grudge against you for IRA actions?

Get over this 800 years of oppression bollocks, we've had decades of horrendous violence that's calmed down in the last decade or so because people stopped holding such ludicrous opinions.

That an English person can't wish a Happy St. Georges Day to the members of this board when the Irish flaunt their national holiday all over the world is disgraceful.

• Advertisement

Personally I think the dis-trust of Ireland of the English is lessening

The majority of the Ireland now recognises that Britain has a history that it is ashamed of and would change the past if it could. Irish people recognise that no english person can really stand over their history of murder/slaughter/pillaging of the Irish Scots and Welsh. At the end of the day we are grateful that Britain has vastly reduced the number of Irish it murders per annum and are working on not murdering any Irish going forward.

We have learned that England is also working really hard not to invade and murder "as often" as it has done through its history. (And if they really feel the need they can tag along with Bush )

We Irish also recognise that a poor education system combined with an inbred arrogance has contributed to the development of a population that really cant help itself. So what if their ignorant, self rightouse and arrogant, arent they our neighbours and sure isnt that all that matters.

We Irish recognise that England now operates in the 21st century as a country where african, aisan and other ethnic minorities are just as english as anyone else. With a growing ethnic population the history of the anglo-saxon english will be erased forever.

The Irish people are also very grateful for the meanial jobs provided in england and building london especially since the 1950's. And so what if the signs said "No Dogs, No Irish" Arent the english entitled to thier own pubs!

I fully belive that as long as the Brits continue to withdraw from the north and allow the Irish to work on uniting our country in a peaceful means all will be forgiven! At the end of the day the Tories have been removed from power and royals dont make decisions about Ireland. Surely hostilities between us could never flare up again.

Is that reason for the English to hate the Irish? I mean for **** sake...
    Well it achieved its goal. It was regrettable to have to target economic centres in England but at the time bombs in NI were having no effect. We have now developed a situation where voilence is no longer necessary.
    Have you been to England? Have you met English people?
    No not a one, never!!!!
    Did you hold a grudge? How would you take it if they held a grudge against you for IRA actions?
    Not as long as they could accept my beliefs and the reasons for them. Why would it bother me if an englishman held a grudge against me?
    we've had decades of horrendous violence that's calmed down in the last decade or so because people stopped holding such ludicrous opinions.
    Yes regrettable we had but at long last the british accepted that the catholics of northern ireland had a right to be treated as equals. the majority of northern Irish catholics would still be nationalists so in essence their opinions havent changed.
    That an English person can't wish a Happy St. Georges Day to the members of this board when the Irish flaunt their national holiday all over the world is disgraceful.
    I welcome it. I welcome a society wher people of all beliefs and backgrounds are accomodated in expressing themselves.This is key in incorporating the unionists population into a united ireland,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Greece v turkey, israel v palestine, america v everyone, north v south korea etc etc

What about the litany of murders by the IRA. What about the bombings by the IRA.

People in England don't have some hatred of Ireland though.

No go back to reading An Poiblacht and spread your hate elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well it achieved its goal. It was regrettable to have to target economic centres in England but at the time bombs in NI were having no effect. We have now developed a situation where voilence is no longer necessary.

Regrettable? It was an attempted masacre of innocent people by the most dispeakable, violent kind of scum. I don't give a **** what your political beliefs are, there is no justification for cowardly IRA acts like that.

In my book the IRA/RIRA/CIRA and their supporters are filth of the worst kind and the only regrettable thing is that people continue to support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Evil Genius

That mainland comment rubs me the worng way, are you trying to imply that Ireland is still a part of Britain?

Whats really sad is was obviuosly started as a troll, and from a moderator aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jarmstrong

Originally posted by Evil Genius
    That mainland comment rubs me the worng way, are you trying to imply that Ireland is still a part of Britain?

Whats really sad is was obviuosly started as a troll, and from a moderator aswell.

ffs.. it was clearly a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

So what exactly is the difference between Unionist bombings/murders and Republican ones?
    No not a one, never!!!!

Well you should visit. Contrary to popular Irish belief the English people are a wonderfully warm people. Every bit as friendly as we are supposed to be. A fantastic time can be had in London, where you'll interact more with people than you ever would in a Dublin pub.
    Yes regrettable we had but at long last the british accepted that the catholics of northern ireland had a right to be treated as equals. the majority of northern Irish catholics would still be nationalists so in essence their opinions havent changed.

I am a Irish nationalist and I don't hold the opinions that have appeared in this thread. I find it hard to believe that all Northern Irish Catholics have such bitter hatred towards the English. Perhaps towards the English government... Possibly towards the Irish government too... And maybe towards Northern Irish Unionists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    /me wipes away tear*sniffels*

Why we didnt have a day of mourning here in Ireland Ill never know.
    The same reason why England wouldn't have a day of mourning when the pope dies.

The only thing I hate about the english though is that they suck up to the royal family and gladly give up their tax money so they could live the life of luxury.

The queen mother wouldn't even shake her hand with the crowds without wearing a glove. They opressed the english public for so many centuries, and they all still adore them.

They're a tourist attraction at best.

Besides that, I havn't got a problem with them.

What I hate about some of the us Irish is the belief that the IRA are still a respectful terrorist group. Their just a bunch of drug trafficing child killers now, and have lost their integrity full stop. Although most of these believers are scangers that don't know sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think its about time the irish gave ireland back to the english, and tell them we are sorry for making a mess of their country.
    sure, we're only west brits anyway.

• Advertisement

quote:
    Originally posted by neXus9

The only thing I hate about the english though is that they suck up to the royal family and gladly give up their tax money so they could live the life of luxury.

oh what an ideal world it would be if we could choose where our taxes go!

Advertisement