Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy St Georges Day!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    What you need is a hug I think!

Cant we just forgive and forget?

By Fysh..

Damn right they should have been more polite. Again I blame the parents. A bit more rod and less x-box tbh.

I'm not overly offended at the issue personally, and I don't mean to justify the tone taken by others. My earlier post was meant more as an explanation of why people were posting angrily.

However, I do feel it's a bit harsh on the parents, since it's entirely possible to try and be a good parent for 18 years and still end up with something mentally stillborn passing itself off as your child.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

At the end of the day, it's nothing hugely important, and I don't think it's worth everyone getting upset about, really...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by lukeUCD
    st georges day my ass, god wonder why everybodys so mad........oh yeah the 700 hundred years of killing irish ppl and never saying sorry for it.....that might be it.
    shut up paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

That mainland remark is totally out of line. By saying that you are implying that we are part of the UK.

I'm not a Eire tattoo wearing scumbag who marches up and down O'Connell St every easter but I am proud of my heritage. I have always found the English to be very condesending to us.

I have even contemplated the whole thing about our history and thought "it's in the past , forgive and forget" and maybe they aren't that bad. Then some stupid Limey B@stard says something like this and starts p!ssing people off again.

I have absolutly no time for this type of sh!te.

you know the irish were launching raids on britain for a long time before the brits finally decided to teach the irish some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Seeing as its St Georges Day on the main land .... thought it best to wish you all a happy St Georges day! ....

(said merc with a tremendous amount of sarcasm)

Sar-casm: A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kaids
    you know the irish were launching raids on britain for a long time before the brits finally decided to teach the irish some manners.

The Irish raided alot of countries, even as far as Rome. We had a great time there. But we didn't stay around and opress the natives and force our language and Religion on them for centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by lukeUCD
    st georges day my ass, god wonder why everybodys so mad........oh yeah the 700 hundred years of killing irish ppl and never saying sorry for it.....that might be it.

You are a very well balenced chap. A chip on each shoulder.

Now why don't you grow up and act your age.

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    The Irish raided alot of countries, even as far as Rome. We had a great time there. But we didn't stay around and opress the natives and force our language and Religion on them for centuries.
    I'll take your word for it, personally I wasn't there myself as I wasn't born at the time.

Just think, if the Irish colonists in Britain hadn't been hockeyed and pushed out all those centuries ago, Britain could be our little puppet now instead of the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

What is the problem with some people.

Ireland used to be a colony. For hundreds of years the Great Powers in Europe held colonies around the world.

Ireland is by no means in a Unique situation. It wasn't some evil power taking a personal dislike to Ireland.

Do you really think the working classes in Britain were any better off than the working classes over here.

Why don't other ex-colonies hold their ex-imperial dictators in the same low regard?

Why, after hundreds of years of occupation by the Romans don't people in England hate all that is Italian?

Because it is completely irrational.

Oh and for everyone who likes to call the english "huns" here is a link to the history of the huns.

http://www.fernweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mf/huns.htm

If you want to use a word you might as well look it up before making yourself look like an idiot.

• Advertisement

Very true. They could have been Little Ireland instead of us being Little England. I suppose one good thing is they taught us to eat with cutlry.
    Dunno if they got as far as Billy Joe Cousin Banger's neck of the woods though. Hes from Raheny see. Where men are men and sheep are shared as opposed to sheared.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by kaids
    <snip sarcasm>

Just think, if the Irish colonists in Britain hadn't been hockeyed and pushed out all those centuries ago, Britain could be our little puppet now instead of the other way around.

Actually, some Irish did stay. They were the Scoti, hence Scotland. For the most part "raids" wouldn't constitute Colonisation.

The mainland thing is just ignorance on the part of some English. Some colleagues of mine from England have embarressed themselves here by saying silly things like that at presentations to Irish clients. Just shows lack of understanding of the Irish psyche (or chip on the shoulder if you like :p) I've no problem with Ireland being described as part of the British Isles, as it is as good a geographic descriptor as any, but I agree that referring to Great Britain as the mainland inferrs that the ROI "belongs" to the UK. Mainland Europe is fair enough, as we are part of the greater European cummunity.

EDIT:
    Almost forgot! Happy St. Georges Day! ;)

ok so.

We will all pretend we didnt see that then.

/me closes eyes...

Anyways.. a Happy St. Georges day to you Billy-Bob! DOnt drink too much tonight! Be safe!!

This type of idiotic response is to be expected from the muppet that started this tread in the first place.

If you are curious about my Nick, Its the name of the lead singer of my favorite band. Yes he is white trash, that doesn't mean I am.
    If we all started getting down to that level this BB would decent into madness.

I have never met an Irish person in England with these outspoken views. (I am not saying they aren;t over there - I just have never encountered it)

Why are people happy to come out with this vitriol here in Ireland yet happy to go work in England with english people and keep their mouths shut?

I was speaking to a friend of mine in London recently, he asked me if I ever considered moving back. When I told him that the intense hatred I personally encountered in Ireland towards England and english people he couldn;t get over it. He said he had Irish friends and co-workers and had never heard an anti-english sentiment out of them.

When I told him about the 800 years of oppresion arguement he nearly fell off his chair. He wanted to know what made Ireland such a special case.

Originally posted by full forward
    Who is St. George anyway? I never even knew the British were christians.

This common mistake is as infuriating for an English person as "the mainland" so many people in Ireland get worked up about.

i.e. not very if you have half a brain

Originally posted by James Melody
    When I told him about the 800 years of oppresion arguement he nearly fell off his chair. He wanted to know what made Ireland such a special case.
    Yeah, the 800 years blah blah thing is funny allright, especially considering the Anglo-Normans (Strongbow and friends) were invited over here in the first place. It just happens they didn't leave. :)

• Advertisement

Tell you what come crimbo/new year/easter/St Paddies you can all go fuk right off. Ill let some other sap wish the good tiding upon people.

:(

lol. Bah Humbug! ;)

Tell you what come crimbo/new year/easter/St Paddies you can all go fuk right off. Ill let some other sap wish the good tiding upon people.

:(

Damn right ...

bloody christians/drunks/christians/drunks:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have always found the English to be very condesending to us.

"Oooh, look you're the same colour as me" said the pot to the black kettle...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    We did in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Originally posted by Badly Drunk Boy
    I'm just writing off the top of me head,..... but after 800 years of oppression the Irish have realised how to defend themselves whereas the Brits attack, attack, attack.

But is the same in the way the nations play them in international soccer.

To get away from the Brit-hating idea...Sweden ruled Norway for centuries. In soccer, Sweden were always the better team, while Norway tried their best to defend themselves....

And it's not as if St George's Day is even a national holiday in Britland. They don't even have a constitution, and now they're going to be voting on whether the be part of the EU Constitution.....

They won't.....

PS (James Melody...your West-Brit accent gnaws to the core of my being...) And I don't even have to hear it out loud.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea happy st georges anybody i really dont give a **** but it should be respected as much as st paddys day tbh

Originally posted by Badly Drunk Boy

PS (James Melody...your West-Brit accent knaws to the core of my being...) And I don't even have to hear it out loud.....

I don't have a West Brit accent. I am English.

You might want to stay sober before posting your hate filled paisleyesque ramblings.

And Sweden and Norway don't hate each other either.

I haven't seen this level of hatred anywhere else in the world.

Somebody lock the tread. I don't think this is the place for this type of discussion. Lets keep it for the pub at 2am when everyone's pissed.

• Advertisement

This sort of racial hatred has no place in the pub at 2am or anywhere.

It is a sad situation when so many people in Ireland have this much hatred within them.

I went to see the England v France rugby game recently. When France won the pub started playing that "ooh ah up the Ra" song from the Wolfe Tones. What the hell is that about. My friends were shocked at it and left with me. However the main body of the pub loved it and sang away at a song about the IRA.

And yet these narrow minded imbeciles blame England for this hatred. Well what reason do you have for the hatred towards Blacks, Asians, East Europeans etc??

This low-life mentality portrayed by some people here is unfortunatly endemic in Ireland.

Advertisement