Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Please dont close it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Originally posted by ecksor
    Have you actually read this thread?

Eh...yes and keep your assumptions to yourself. I have also seen the mods with their, 'aw it's too hard to mod' attitude.

Closing the soccer forum is lousy and a decision made by the few against the popular opinion to keep it open. Why close it? It the greatest example of a mountain out of a molehill I have ever seen.
    Just because people insult each other, so ban them for a week!!!
    Jeez make up your bloody mind about what to do about it and stop p1ssing off all the soccer fans with your snail-like attitude to fixing it, we have Roy Keane to discuss damn it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    Eh...yes and keep your assumptions to yourself.

Which assumptions? Your comments don't seem to indicate that you actually understand what's going on.
    I have also seen the mods with their, 'aw it's too hard to mod' attitude.

It was becoming too much of a pain in the ass. If there's too much rubbish to deal with then it becomes not worth the hassle. Why should anyone bother?
    Closing the soccer forum is lousy and a decision made by the few against the popular opinion to keep it open.

The popular opinion is largely irrelevant in this matter. The simple fact is that we'd rather shut it down if we can't have a decent soccer forum (by our own definition of decent).
    Why close it?

Because we're sick of the crap.
    It the greatest example of a mountain out of a molehill I have ever seen.

The forum was closed for reasons that were explained. The fuss here is coming from the posters who don't see anything wrong with the way things were and those who are trying to portion out the blame.
    Just because people insult each other, so ban them for a week!!!

That was happening, but they continued to do it. Obviously there's a problem to be sorted out and one week bans aren't the solution.
    Jeez make up your bloody mind about what to do about it

That's what we're doing.
    and stop p1ssing off all the soccer fans with your snail-like attitude to fixing it, we have Roy Keane to discuss damn it!

It hasn't been closed for very long now in fairness. This smacks of a demand for instant service. As you can see, DeVore doesn't give a toss about Roy Keane and I can tell you that neither do I.

FYI, Sorting it out is progressing a lot faster than I wanted to, I'd rather hoped that the Mods would take a breather from the crap for a few days but they're obviously more interested in getting the forum back running for you. I think you don't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

FYI, Sorting it out is progressing a lot faster than I wanted to, I'd rather hoped that the Mods would take a breather from the crap for a few days but they're obviously more interested in getting the forum back running for you. I think you don't deserve it.

It kind of annoys me that people like you have this godlike power over all the soccer fans that post here. Whether you think I deserve it or not is of no interest to me, do you think I care if you think that I don't deserve it?

Of course it's a good thing that the soccer forum is coming back because there isn't a decent reason for it to be gone. Again if the mods are finding it too much to mod then get more mods, you would swear it was rocket science.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    It kind of annoys me that people like you have this godlike power over all the soccer fans that post here.

There's nothing I can do about that. Perhaps you should consult a therapist or some close friends who are sympathetic to your situation. I'd imagine the folks on the Personal Issues forum would be only too happy to give you some helpful advice.

Perhaps you should just give in and mediate to this:

xor.jpg
    Whether you think I deserve it or not is of no interest to me, do you think I care if you think that I don't deserve it?

Oddly enough your objections to the closing of the soccer forum are of no interest to me. I'd probably ignore them if I wasn't avoiding doing some work.
    Of course it's a good thing that the soccer forum is coming back because there isn't a decent reason for it to be gone.

*bzzt*

You've failed to grasp this bit.
    Again if the mods are finding it too much to mod then get more mods, you would swear it was rocket science.

We might actually get another Mod. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Tellox.

But please note that I will instantly ban themuppet/smemon/next ronaldo7 at the first sign of..well, them being them ****ing selves, really. Really, every time I read through any post, The minute I see a kent brockman/kermit av, I just know its going to quickly dissolve into some Man U v world post. Really, I wouldnt be able to tolerate that kind of ****e.

If thats counted as unfair treatment, disacknowledge this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I'd do it if you're stuck but I'm sure there are better candidates.

Bill calm down on the arguing. I know you're frustrated its closed but as Dev said proposals are in place for it to reopen soon which is great, so why are you still arguing for it to be reopened?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'd imagine the folks on the Personal Issues forum would be only too happy to give you some helpful advice

I donno
    I consider myself to be a goddess, so donno how much helpful advice I can give....
    anyways..
    quit trying to dump all your sh!te over on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Give the job to me im cruel vendictive and will completely opress the users

Remember folks Vote for me to be made admin!

A Local Dictator For Local People

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Really?

Nice sig.

Another fine example of the pettiness and small mindedness that is at the route of the problems on soccer. Its a sig FFS with an Image and a bit of text the same as many useres have and within the rules of Boards. Is it my problem that some people are so petty that they can take some sort of offence from it?

Of course if it is a major problem and if I were asked I would remove in the interest of peace it but I dont see why any Sig within the guidelines should be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In all fairness Muppet the reason why you have the "Keane was sent home" line in your sig is due to an argument that you had in some thread, and there's a few others that had/have similar sigs, i.e. to give 2 fingers up to the people that they were arguing with!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Sure his sig just contains his opinion, some people have Swastika's in their sigs now, while they may be jovial in nature, certain elements could be bothered by them.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    In all fairness Muppet the reason why you have the "Keane was sent home" line in your sig is due to an argument that you had in some thread, and there's a few others that had/have similar sigs, i.e. to give 2 fingers up to the people that they were arguing with!!

I understand where you are coming form Bazmo but the reason I have that in my sig is because it represents my opinion and is somethin I feel strongly about. The "argument " I would say discussion you refer to was with Irish1 and IMO was good natured between two people with differing viewpoints that was taken to PM after the thread was closed and discussed to an end. It was not put there to cause offence but to represent my viewpoint. I don't have any hangups about anyones Sig but if Sigs are a problem well then just ban Sigs from the forum. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

he was sent home tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi,

I'd just like to say I personally consider the soccer board my favourite board.
    I appriciated it when it was active, and perhaps appriciate it more after whats happened.

I hope the board can be reopened ASAP, from a personal point of view.

I think the board has been well moderated, so a clap on the back for Gandalf (who seemed to shoulder most of the burden) for all the hard work he put in.

Finally i would hate to see the muppets who caused this to win.
    Their spoiling everyone elses enjoyment is a victory for muppets everywhere.
    So i will support any new rules or codes of behaviour, that will get the board reopened, for the enjoyment of all (decent) supporters!

Thks

X

Emboss, pushing the envelope at all times I see. Good man, I agree by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I was about to join in the expected heated debate the other day in the Soccer forum in relation to Roy Keane’s announcement when I surprisingly saw that it had been closed (locked). This would seem to be a drastic step to take for any bulletin board and punishes all participants, not only the offenders. I didn’t get a chance to see what was posted on the forum to warrant such a drastic step, but having waded through some of the pages here I would make the following suggestions:

1. update a “READ THIS FIRST – before Posting” charter or equivalent page to outline the rules of the forum.
    2. when the rules are broken (eg: when personal abuse becomes intolerable), ban the abusers and if it continues (with other users) switch the forum to “fully moderated mode”. Whilst this will slow-down the forum and will add an extra load on moderators, it will keep the forum open to those that remain within the rules
    3. as it is a forum that typically has peaks and troughs in activity, increase the number of moderators so that they can handle the extra volume
    4. when a new user registers with boards.ie, put in a delay of 5-days or 1 week before their account becomes activated. This will prevent abusers from re-registering under a different name and being back on the same board in 5 mins.
    5. allow moderators to remove individual postings
    6. relax the rules a “bit” – Soccer is an emotional topic – just look at the way this country, nearly every man woman and child was affected by the Roy Keane (Saipan) affair. So let people voice their opinions, to jibe others to some extent. I think its better to police (moderate) using a “softly softly” approach rather than come down heavy-handed.

The basic principle from the above suggestions is that if there are “speedsters on the road” (ie: abusers or breakers of the rules/charter), it doesn’t make sense to close the road (unless everyone is speeding/abusing). If there is a situation that seems out of control, bring the police onto the road (ie: the moderators take control). But locking the forum shows a complete breakdown. It does have the benefit of allowing everyone to “cool off” but the forum has missed valuable discussion time. There is no point having a forum for discussion if it gets closed for whatever reason due to discussions!

I have been a newgroup user in the past few decades so have some experience in internet forums. The general approach with newsgroups was to have either unmoderated newsgroups (anything goes although “illegal” postings could be removed by moderators) and fully moderated forums. Flaming is a common problem in newsgroups and such forums as boards.ie as it is easy to start a row due to mis-interpretation of remarks and points of clarity become points of angst and can lead to anarchy and swearing (&^%$£) (ie: the snowball rolling down the hill is a good analogy, it can produce an avalanche).

I joined boards.ie for a number of reasons but one of them being that there is an active Soccer forum, with an Irish slant. Seeing the forum closed is disappointing to say the least. I, like othe majority I’m sure, appreciate the work of boards.ie and moderators on Soccer and other forums. I’m sure a way forward can be worked out.

-redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Good to see moves are afoot to bring back the soccer forum, but I get the feeling it won't quite be the same again when the smell disinfectant has faded away! :dunno:

By the way I vote we make the word Muppet a verb !!

Muppet: verb: to muppet: to err or to generally make a bo**ox of. :ninja:

I muppet
    You muppet
    He muppets
    She muppettes :D

e.g. He muppets the soccer forum again !!
    etc

etc.

Tinky

Any chance we can get the word 'muppet' caught by the obscenty filter so it read ****** because at this stage Im sick of seeing it and it has lost all meaning.

Ill never look at Kermit in the same light again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ill never look at Kermit in the same light again

Me neither after seeing this !!! :D:D:D

*/shudders/*

Edit: some might consider this somewhat rude !!! some may just have a sense of humor !!

Tinky

I love it, nice one Tinky. Im actually quite proud of this thread since I started it and it has become the most popular thread on feedback/suggestions. An achievement in itself

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Im actually quite proud of this thread since I started it and it has become the most popular thread on feedback/suggestions. An achievement in itself

[humour]
    Yeah , Pity it got the soccer forum closed in the process.;)
    [/humour]

Yeah, thats a fair point, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I understand where you are coming form Bazmo but the reason I have that in my sig is because it represents my opinion and is somethin I feel strongly about. The "argument " I would say discussion you refer to was with Irish1 and IMO was good natured between two people with differing viewpoints that was taken to PM after the thread was closed and discussed to an end. It was not put there to cause offence but to represent my viewpoint. I don't have any hangups about anyones Sig but if Sigs are a problem well then just ban Sigs from the forum. Problem solved.

I don't see anything wrong with the sig and in fairness if anyone should it should be me.

As The Muppet said we had a good discussion that was even light hearted at many times, in the end we agreed to disagree, so I don't see his sig as a major issue.

If all the dicussions were as good natured as the one we had I think there wouldn't be many problems.:D

Oh by the way Muppet He left! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Just wondering what kinda criteria must be met to be a "founding" member so to speak of this new soccer forum? Is it done by no. of posts, common sense made in previous posts, when registered etc. ?

Thanks

john

Originally posted by irish1
    I don't see anything wrong with the sig and in fairness if anyone should it should be me.

As The Muppet said we had a good discussion that was even light hearted at many times, in the end we agreed to disagree, so I don't see his sig as a major issue.

If all the dicussions were as good natured as the one we had I think there wouldn't be many problems.:D

Oh by the way Muppet He left! :D

Thanks Irish 1

BTW where's my tape.
    :mad:

;)

Originally posted by The Muppet

Yeah, but if I remember correctly you went on and on about not having seen or heard the interview on the Dunphy show yet a sound clip miraculously apperars as a link in your sig! hmmmm.......

B.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly you went on and on about not having seen or heard the interview on the Dunphy show yet a sound clip miraculously apperars as a link in your sig! hmmmm.......

B.

Ok lets not drag this up, he never said he didn't see it, he admitted to me he had seen but choose to see this comment as a lie by Keane, can we leave it at that please.:)

Originally posted by irish1
    Ok lets not drag this up, he never said he didn't see it, he admitted to me he had seen but choose to see this comment as a lie by Keane, can we leave it at that please.:)

ABSOLUTELY!!! ;)

I wasn't trying to drag it up, I was just trying to explain about the sig thing. Unfortunately or Fortunately the rest of us weren't privvy to your pm's.

B.

• Advertisement

ABSOLUTELY!!! ;)

I wasn't trying to drag it up, I was just trying to explain about the sig thing. Unfortunately or Fortunately the rest of us weren't privvy to your pm's.

B.

Fair enough, just didn't want to reopen that debate, took a lot out of me the last time!;)

Plus I'm sure once the soccer forum is re-opened one of the first threads will be to with Mr Keane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement