Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Please dont close it

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ecksor fears soccer.

rolf
    comment of the year, anyone?

Flogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    ecksor fears soccer.

I can see that you're quite the Internet Detective. Nice analysis of the situation too. What I can't figure out is how some of the Soccer posters are able to get through the entire process of switching on a computer, connecting to the Internet, logging onto boards ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Closing the Soccer forum is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on Boards.
    If people fight on it so the fock what!
    Its only a bloody internet forum, mods need to seriously cop on.
    Its one of the most popular boards and mods are being totally retarded on this one.

ecksor fears soccer.

Behaving like that only adds reason to their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Closing the Soccer forum is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on Boards.
    If people fight on it so the fock what!
    Its only a bloody internet forum, mods need to seriously cop on.
    Its one of the most popular boards and mods are being totally retarded on this one.

ecksor fears soccer.

If theres tons of fighting on the forum proper debates/discussions will never come around instead people will be saying things like ur a ****ing idiot to think he's any good etc,etc .

Im glad to hear what Devore has posted and lets hope with get back a discussionative ( prob not a word ) and non flaming forum .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Em...Hi...

I didn't realise there was a discussion on this. I PMed one of the Mods of the forum, I can't remember who it was, and I'm sorry if I annoyed you at all.

I don't know if I am one of the "Problem Posters" from the soccer forum. I don't think I incite flame wars, and I think I put my views forward in a balanced and rational way.

I do think that something needs to be addresses though. While personal abuse is not to be tolerated ( I experienced it myself in the soccer forum ), there is a certain level of "abuse" to be expected in a soccer forum all the same. The nature of supporting any sports team is that it is tribal in nature. Supporters of TeamA like it when TeamB have some sort of failure, be it the loss of one game, or whatever. It is natural for SupportersOf TeamA to indulge in a little slagging. I don't think this was the problem.

I miss the soccer forum, I know I only joined boards.ie relatively recently, but it's only because I only recently became unemployed and got a new job where I have internet access.

The soccer forum helped me through my unemployed days, and it also is one of the forums where I post during my day in my new boring job.

Please bring it back, in whatever form it needs to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Sigs should be disabled in the Soccer forum TBH

They incite flamewars and such

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is that including all of the 2 months you have been here.
    If the changes eradicates the problem of One user with multiple accounts on the soccer forum it will be a welcome development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Is that including all of the 2 months you have been here.

Newbie Bashing is a crime;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

This is a complete joke. I got banned for a week for telling some bloke called ronaldo7 i'd love to rip his head off his shoulders or words to that effect... one moment of boards madness (totally let myself down and have since served my penance) now i discover he's responsible for all this... I want to do more than rip his head off now!! Oooh sorry, am i banned again??? Just ban him and reopen the forum!! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Actually I have no problems with the saps that type rubbish. I just ignore them normally! Hey another great solution there... just IGNORE the morons!! But then again.. if someone slags my mammy and i'm in the mood for slagging their mammy... what's the big deal??? like so what?! - Suggestion - open a mammy slagging forum!! that way we can have a 'take it outside' scenario whenever things get out of hand... I'd love to meet these people who get so distressed that they feel the need to report it to mods!! "Boohoo, some guy said a bold word and hurt my feelings"... Like what the fock is that all about?? And I'd love to meet these mods who shut down forums as a result!! - "Hmmm, lets investigate this serious matter of social disturbance as we strive to make the world a better place" Just open it again and let everyone slag each other if they want... from my experience, for the most part, things aren't that bad that it needs to be shut down. Football brings banter amongs fans, banter is a bit of craic and if the Irish can't have a bit of craic anymore we're all f u c k e d!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If the changes eradicates the problem of One user with multiple accounts on the soccer forum it will be a welcome development.

or also when it eliminates flamebaters from the forum.

• Advertisement

But then again.. if someone slags my mammy and i'm in the mood for slagging their mammy... what's the big deal??? like so what?! - Suggestion - open a mammy slagging forum!!

This thread is a real eye-opener I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Jesus. Do you not even realise that you're one of the main reasons for the unmitigated heap of steaming shite the soccer forum has turned into?

A little self-knowledge is a dangerous thing I guess. Especially for the small of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Jesus. Do you not even realise that you're one of the main reasons for the unmitigated heap of steaming shite the soccer forum has turned into?

A little self-knowledge is a dangerous thing I guess. Especially for the small of mind.

I think he blissfully ignores the fact that he has a champions league spot in the premier league of soccer trolls and muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

Found this thread today and its already littered with overflow from the soccer forum.
    If some posters can't keep it civil when requesting the forum back then i dunno why they'd ever give us our beloved soccer forum back/

That said, im delighted to hear that the soccer forum will return shortly. Im surprised with how much i've actually missed parts of it although recently, as a lot of people have said, its gotten a bit on the pants side. Was difficult to wade through the muck to get to the debates.

I appreciate the increased in strictness that was recently applied in the forum but i believe it could have been even stricter as i (along with most posters) feel that there was too much off topic and personal insults flying about. You had to watch very carefully what you wrote or you could get pulled in before you knew it.

Im glad that these steps have been taken to bring it back to (hopefully anyway) what it once was and i thank the admins/mods for their hardwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

If the rules implemented on the soccer board where implemented here, then shouldnt certain people be banned for constantly insulting other users? The Muppet is taking a lot of stick around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by syke
    I think he blissfully ignores the fact that he has a champions league spot in the premier league of soccer trolls and muppets.

One mans troll/flamebait is another mans opinion. Some people would want to grow up and recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Draupnir
    If the rules implemented on the soccer board where implemented here, then shouldnt certain people be banned for constantly insulting other users? The Muppet is taking a lot of stick around here.

This is the feedback forum, I think thats a little different from the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

I prefer to take the pulse before I cut a man's arm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

ill mod it ............

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i love it when the **** hits the fan then certain posters scatter , others get on their high horse and have a holier than thou attitude to the whole thing pointing fingers without actually questioning thier own inputs into such muppetry

maybe we can open an apology fourm for that or do we have one already called prison :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Ive apologised a couple of times for getting myself banned and adding to the muppetry as its known. Personally, I didnt really think it was offensive but Ive since realised that my personal brand of humour doesnt translate to well via text. Im more than prepared to bear this in mind when posting in future.

I just think there is a certain amount of double standards going on in certain circumstances but basically, I think its time to move on from this BS and those of us who have been involved should maybe cop on a bit and think before we type.

I also reckon some people shouldnt get involved in stuff they arent involved in, just to throw their hat in the ring and declare that they are anti muppetry. Then the slag off the so called "muppets" and in effect, cause the same problems that the original "muppets" did.

Thats my 2 cents, hopefully the soccer forum is reopened and I hope Im granted access. I slipped up but as I said, I didnt understand the obvious sensitivities of internet communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

now i promised myself i wouldnt do this but hypocracy is not something i like
    by Jank
    holier than thou attitude to the whole thing pointing fingers without actually questioning thier own inputs into such muppetry

That is all

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

B-K, I suspect it might be a case of irony, not hypocracy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

maybe its just honesty

http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1468517#post1468517

havent been warned or banned since, so that must tell ya something,

also havent been blaming anybody for the muppetry except ourselves ie soccer forum users

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Firstly, I'd like to say well done to the mods for sorting this out. It is appreciated even if we don't all post it.

I think the proposals Dev mentioned will work. Its obvious a lot of the problems have been with rival supporters etc but the league/cups are winding down now so competition is pretty much non-existent and the summer months will give it time to settle down and work so that by the start of the new season we should all be adjusted fingers crossed.

I know there'll be Euro 2004 to discuss and new signings also in the summer but they shouldn't cause too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

One mans troll/flamebait is another mans opinion. Some people would want to grow up and recognise that.

Really?

Nice sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

All I was saying is that the arguing on the soccer forum may be a little more heated than it is on the Bird Watching forum and a little leniancy should be allowed. Trying to change the passionate nature of soccer fans is pointless and creating a police state style forum will simply blow. Why people cannot just ignore it if someone is insulting someone else I do not know.

Why shut it down?? This is a power-freak attack on soccer fans. If you don't like, don't use it.

ecksor fears soccer

Have you actually read this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Erm, what does "ecksor fears soccer" even mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement