Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I think if I were posting my snazzy bike pics online I'd remove the geo-location EXIF data from the pictures so that I'm not revealing the location of the shed with the €3000 bike inside.

But then I'm a bit paranoid about that sort of stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

4115045761_a44db12b3d.jpg
    Looking at the pics again and your one in particular the welding is particularly "agricultural" on the head tube. You would think they could do better with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1267437390209-1rqknh1gqtcjr-798-75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Winter/Training/Sportive Bike:

Frame/fork: Planet-X SL Pro Carbon
    Saddle: Fizik Arione
    Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro 23mm (Yes, they are white/black I'm sorry! Merlin had a good deal, 2 for 30 euro and they are only training tyres so the choice was that or red/black. My euroness will have to take a hit here!)

Everything else then was pilfered from elsewhere:

Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6600 with R700 compact crankset
    Wheels: Mavic Aksium
    Finishing kit: Oval R100 stem/bars/seatpost, 4ZA seatclamp, derailleur clamp and headset spacers.

Even managed to keep the cable housing, although the routing on the planet-x means no crossover on the front, need to sort that out as there was an annoying rattle from them hitting each other and the brake cables.

106596.JPG
    106597.JPG
    106598.JPG
    106599.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Nice bike havent seen a planet x yet out on the road, but your brake cables look very short what happens when your turn handlebar do the brake cables pull and put the brakes on ??

• Advertisement

levitronix wrote: »
    Nice bike havent seen a planet x yet out on the road, but your brake cables look very short what happens when your turn handlebar do the brake cables pull and put the brakes on ??

No. The only requirement for cable housing is that it enter the brake stop in a straight line from where it leaves the bar. The front one is slightly on the short side but is still perfectly functional and the bike has complete range of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

As four the black and white tyres i have the same colours on my bontrager aerolus and i love it.. have you taken if out for a spin yet ?

levitronix wrote: »
    As four the black and white tyres i have the same colours on my bontrager aerolus and i love it.. have you taken if out for a spin yet ?

Just down to the post office, it feels quite different to what I am used to, but I am still playing around with position and the new saddle needs to be broken in I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Looks good Dirk. I always think that alu wheels and cranks look better than black, and white bars and saddle should be the default. I've had rubino pros (blue) on my fixie (have big contis now) and I found them to be very good all rounders, though I suspect that the white will be grey after a few miles.

Did you measure your position on the Ridley and try to replicate it on the new frame? I'd be interested to see how you find the ride if you've got a like-for-like set up. It's probably lighter than the summer bike you know.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Looks good Dirk. I always think that alu wheels and cranks look better than black, and white bars and saddle should be the default. I've had rubino pros (blue) on my fixie (have big contis now) and I found them to be very good all rounders, though I suspect that the white will be grey after a few miles.

Did you measure your position on the Ridley and try to replicate it on the new frame? I'd be interested to see how you find the ride if you've got a like-for-like set up. It's probably lighter than the summer bike you know.

Yeah I have my position all recorded but the Aliante on the Ridley skews things somewhat so I am using my Felt position to help as the saddle is a Felt "Arione copy" (reason I went for the Arione, I find the felt one very comfy).

Tyres already browning after a trip down the road, I'm not too worried about this to be honest, the sidewalls should stay clean enough especially if there is any rain. Having red continentals means I am well used to dirty tyres :)

Of course, your bike as I'm sure you know was the inspiration for this, I always liked the white detailing, especially the headset cap :) I did consider a white seatclamp and headset cap, as well as a white rear raceblade but I'm supposed to be sticking to a budget and so things will stay as they are for now.

Definitely lighter than the Ridley, I'll know more after the weekend but it doesn't seem to accelerate as well. The Ridley has massively chunky stays and I think these really help when pushing hard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

White bar tape, saddle and tyres on your winter trainer? Keeping up your reputation as Boards Mr. Style, Dirk?

Pot, kettle....don't make me buy the white raceblades (I think Velo has some actually).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looking forward to seeing the Ridley when its all pimped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I have white race-blades on my fixie. I bought them for my P-X, but thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Murph100 wrote: »
    I like them, wicked grip, corner like on rails, smooth out a bit of road buzz and roll forever but wish they were a little lighter, 240g would be sweet.

Haven't flatted yet so cant comment on that.

"little lighter" a Conti GP4000s tire and Conti race tube are 310grs. My Hutchinson Fusion tubless are 315grm...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Lumen wrote: »
    Gaaah! Deep section wheels on a flat barred bike (and a fixie at that).

banghead.gif

Think that's bad?

3224285890_f8e8c46ddb_b.jpg
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Ah JDT , Mich Pro 3 Lights + Conti Supersonic tubes = 245g

Had this combo on for over 1500km and never had a flat.

jdt101 wrote: »
    "little lighter" a Conti GP4000s tire and Conti race tube are 310grs. My Hutchinson Fusion tubless are 315grm...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

3bSn0.jpg

Cant wait to take it out

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

My Road Bike Lapierre, have it about 4 years not half as many miles on it as there should be, hope to try a few races on it this year.

My new Mountain Bike got it on the bike to work scheme but went a bit over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

My new bike built up
    kSTl0-dea07bc2ba72447fb4a441ad185f5edd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

My new bike, finished building it yesterday at Rothar.ie -

Its not as flashy as some of the other things of beauty in here but its brand new and beautiful to me!

4406123873_ebbffe12e6_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bought one of these today for €100:

%21BmcjcSw%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-C4Etq5nt27BBLfof,MYHw%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21Bmcjo5wB2k%7E$%28KGrHqMH-CsEtrjEoZm1BLfogLiklw%7E%7E_12.JPG

It was an impulse buy, theres rust on the brakepads and tattered handlebar tape but once I switch those it will be immaculate, its my first roadbike so its an image of beauty to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Thargor wrote: »

%21BmcjcSw%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-C4Etq5nt27BBLfof,MYHw%7E%7E_12.JPG

Thats an absolute beauty, especially for €100!! Where did you get it??

Was reading an old Buy and Sell out of boredom in college today and googling the names of the various bikes, pure crap all of it but then those pics popped up for a Raleigh Prorace Reynolds 501 and I had to ring and confirm it was the same one. It belonged to some guy clearing out a house in Claregalway which is about 10 miles from my house in Galway city, he'd had it for 10 years he said and it had been used only a few times because he was about a foot too short for it, shot down on a bus and did the deal, I couldn't be happier, cant stop looking at it.

He had it up on Donedeal aswell, found it:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1178715

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Was reading an old Buy and Sell out of boredom in college today and googling the names of the various bikes, pure crap all of it but then those pics popped up for a Raleigh Prorace Reynolds 501 and I had to ring and confirm it was the same one. It belonged to some guy clearing out a house in Claregalway which is about 10 miles from my house in Galway city, he'd had it for 10 years he said and it had been used only a few times because he was about a foot too short for it, shot down on a bus and did the deal, I couldn't be happier, cant stop looking at it.

He had it up on Donedeal aswell, found it:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1178715

Nice one ;) What was the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Bought one of these today for €100:

I'd guess at that...?

What he said ^ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Pot, kettle....don't make me buy the white raceblades (I think Velo has some actually).

Yep, I have them on my Langster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just put on new bars and saddle:

25261_10150114847345554_545910553_11374337_6624941_n.jpg

Advertisement